The Apple Thread

• Thread starter Robin
  • 565 comments
Personally I'm hoping for a refresh of the SE model but it looks unlikely that will happen until early next year. At the moment it isn't worth swapping a 6 for but I would be tempted with the inclusion of 3D Touch.

Good luck with getting a headphone jack back in any of the new designs. Apple don't tend to go back on decisions like that and the reason they did it with the 7 is to avoid everyone moaning about it on this coming 10th anniversary model. Unfortunately the suppliers are dictating the market as we've seen from a number of hypocritical Android manufacturers also removing the jack, but not after mocking Apple for it first.

Apparently the names of the new iPhones have leaked... iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus (big surprise there!)

And the iPhone X... That $1000+ premium rumoured model. Microsoft probably rolling thier eyes :lol:

My iPhone 6 is starting to show some battery problems. I reckon I should snatch up a 6s before it gets discontinued.

So looking at the leaked info, do they really think people are going to want a $1000+ phone?

....wait, it's an Apple product, they'll sell out in seconds and have a shortage for months to come. I mean good on them if people pay it though.

Honestly, I can't imagine having a $1000 phone. My Nexus was $500 and I thought that was too much money when I bought it. Guess I'll be sticking with Android for the foreseeable future if Apple is going to price their devices like that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewansp...ak-rumor-price-expensive-secret/#1f2c802d7115

i think the $1000 price point is just for the 32gb / 64gb iPhone 8 / Pro. hearing about there's a 256gb version, that'll probably cost $1200+.

there's a possibility that most people will just finance it under their carrier, or use the iPhone Upgrade program.

So looking at the leaked info, do they really think people are going to want a $1000+ phone?

....wait, it's an Apple product, they'll sell out in seconds and have a shortage for months to come. I mean good on them if people pay it though.

Honestly, I can't imagine having a $1000 phone. My Nexus was $500 and I thought that was too much money when I bought it. Guess I'll be sticking with Android for the foreseeable future if Apple is going to price their devices like that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewansp...ak-rumor-price-expensive-secret/#1f2c802d7115
I mean, the Note 8 (and the S8 Plus iirc) cost around $1000 USD at launch and that doesn't seem to have made any impact on their success. Like @Techy said, I'm sure that a lot of people would be getting flagships through carriers rather than purchasing them outright.

Not that I'm trying to justify the price of current flagships, the pricing really is getting out of hand.

So if the iPhone 8 is starting at $1000 for the "entry-level 64Gb", what the hell is this iPhone X that keeps being talked about?

There are plenty of people who would buy the $1000+ iPhone X, I just wonder what is it going to do spec wise over a fully loaded iPhone 8 Plus.

"Perhaps most notably, however, is that the code suggests that the new A11 Fusion chip is a six core processor. It appears as if Apple will pack four high performance, or “Mistral,” cores and two battery life efficient “Monsson” cores.

For comparison’s sake, the A10 Fusion processor in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus pack two high performance cores and two high-efficiency cores. Meanwhile, the A10X in the iPad Pro features a 3+3 setup. This means that the new iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X will be Apple’s most powerful iOS device by wide margin. Of course, one important thing to note here is that performance partially will depend on the clock speed of the processors, but either way we’re looking at a dramatic jump."

"As far as the camera goes, the iOS 11 GM suggests that the iPhone 8 and iPhone X will support 4K video at 60 FPS, as well as 1080p video at 240 FPS"

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/10/iphone-x-processor-wireless-charging-more/

So far people are struggling to find clues as to what sets apart the X from the 8 in the GM. Not long to wait now anyway.

"Perhaps most notably, however, is that the code suggests that the new A11 Fusion chip is a six core processor. It appears as if Apple will pack four high performance, or “Mistral,” cores and two battery life efficient “Monsson” cores.

For comparison’s sake, the A10 Fusion processor in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus pack two high performance cores and two high-efficiency cores. Meanwhile, the A10X in the iPad Pro features a 3+3 setup. This means that the new iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X will be Apple’s most powerful iOS device by wide margin. Of course, one important thing to note here is that performance partially will depend on the clock speed of the processors, but either way we’re looking at a dramatic jump."

"As far as the camera goes, the iOS 11 GM suggests that the iPhone 8 and iPhone X will support 4K video at 60 FPS, as well as 1080p video at 240 FPS"

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/10/iphone-x-processor-wireless-charging-more/

So far people are struggling to find clues as to what sets apart the X from the 8 in the GM. Not long to wait now anyway.
4k 60 fps lol

Canon on the other hand still cant get that into their DSLRs

4K 60fps was one of the main reasons we were looking at an iPad Pro for my girlfriend to replace her old laptop.

Now that I know my next phone will do it, that's so much easier. It'll just be, oh, about 16 months from now.

I swear they become more of a cult every day, stores are now town squares :lol: Soon your city will be owned and run by Apple!

Legit didn't know face unlock wasn't in iphones. I have it in my Xperia X and never use it -- thing fingerprints are better.

I can't wait to see the iPhone X's OLED screen in person. I'm definitely not going to buy it, but it sure looks good with the minimal bezels.

Legit didn't know face unlock wasn't in iphones. I have it in my Xperia X and never use it -- thing fingerprints are better.

Fingerprints are better and you don't have to make sure you face is pointing right at the camera (like if it's on a table etc).

The bezel is pretty thick by modern standards for a "bezeless" phone. Also the way it curves around the top sensors isn't exactly pretty.

I do like the glass backs on both the 8 and X but boy is the lip/edge on the X's rear camera huge!

Fingerprints are better and you don't have to make sure you face is pointing right at the camera (like if it's on a table etc).

The bezel is pretty thick by modern standards for a "bezeless" phone. Also the way it curves around the top sensors isn't exactly pretty.

I do like the glass backs on both the 8 and X but boy is the lip/edge on the X's rear camera huge!

I'm going to try the face unlock thing on my phone now to see if it is convenient.

Agree on the lip complaint but still think it's a really attractive phone. It does feel a lot like a Apple S8 mind.

NP
I'm quite intrigued by the iPhone X and will most probably pick it up to go alongside my OnePlus 5.

The 64 GB version will cost 1149 € (= US$ 1400) and the higher-capacity 256 GB version will cost 1319 € (= US$ 1600) in Germany, which is quite steep.

Might as well wait for a couple of reviews before pulling the trigger on this phone.
I like that it has swipe gestures. Hopefully Google Fuschia is going to be a gesture based OS, knew that was the best way after using BB10...

Recently got S8 to try out but I personally don't like round screen corners even though it looks good. This screen will probably annoy me more given it looks like someone took a bite out of it at the top. Missing visual info OCD.

Personally I want a SE successor that is slightly larger and without home button, also touch ID on a side button. I might be tempted to switch to iPhone if they make a phone that allows expandable storage.

I think I'll upgrade from iPhone 7 to 8 at least for the better processors, speakers and camera. I don't like glass back phones but wireless charging can be handy like in a car.

Finally congrats to Apple with their 18 hour watches topping sales revenue.

DJi5bJiVoAArZYo.jpg:large

Back