The Apple Thread

• Thread starter Robin
  • 565 comments
Apple Homepod speaker goes on sale on Friday. It might be too late to catch up with Alexa and Google Home.

I wonder what it will sound like if they are gunning for it to be a premium speaker with its high price.

Apple Homepod speaker goes on sale on Friday. It might be too late to catch up with Alexa and Google Home.

I wonder what it will sound like if they are gunning for it to be a premium speaker with its high price.

It'll probably sound pretty good...but I guarantee that the Siri part will be crap, considering how far behind it already is compared to other assistants.

It'll probably sound pretty good...but I guarantee that the Siri part will be crap, considering how far behind it already is compared to other assistants.

Yeah I agree, as a speaker is probably going to be pretty good but as an assistant it's dead on arrival a bit like Cortana which Microsoft has all but given up on.

Apple's new campus building is so translucent and filled with glass that two employees have already been injured walking straight into walls!

That's design for ya! They may have to change some of the internal layout now because it may contravene some health and safety laws.

Apple's new campus building is so translucent and filled with glass that two employees have already been injured walking straight into walls!

That's design for ya! They may have to change some of the internal layout now because it may contravene some health and safety laws.

Hey, it's not Apple's fault its employees aren't familiar with Windows.

Hey, it's not Apple's fault its employees aren't familiar with Windows.

:lol:

Ice_BadumTss_270216.gif

I just got myself an iPhone 8.
After being used to the 5S for a few years this thing feels big. :scared:

First thing I did was shut off a whole bunch of unnecessary notifications. Heard that this helps save the battery.

Use it for a while, then pick up the 5s again, you'll be amazed at how small it feels. :lol:

That's exactly what happened!
I had used the 8 for a couple of days and then spotting my lovely gold 5S stranded on the pool table picked it up to put it away and almost shuddered at how small it felt.
It actually felt creepily small after the 8. :crazy:

Made me feel kind of odd.

Long-time Mac owner, but haven't bought a new one since January 2008 (Mac Mini) so I'm waiting on a 13" MacBook Pro. Went with the 2017 model since I'm not fussed about the touch bar and the hardest task it'll do is some RAW conversion.

Does anyone have a link to the classic Tiger wallpaper in 2560 resolution?

Yeah I agree, as a speaker is probably going to be pretty good but as an assistant it's dead on arrival a bit like Cortana which Microsoft has all but given up on.
With my X because I could finally use Siri without being plugged into the mains I find myself using it constantly for timers... but outside of that it’s almost entirely useless, it’s endless frustrating.

I’ve also found that with iOS 11 the AirPods suffer from a lot more interference than I had with iOS 10...

This might be the thread to ask. A friend of mine has an old Apple IIe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIe complete with a couple of disk drives, a vinyl cutter with a "digitizing table" which allows plotting shapes into the computer, and all of the original software as well as a lot of extra stuff such as fonts for the cutter.

Any idea on where such a thing could be sold and how much is it approximately worth, or does anybody even want those anymore?

Have you searched eBay? I found a couple of IIe for around £250-£350. Not sure how much extra you could get for the vinyl cutter and digitizing table, you'd need to research the to see if it was a widely available accessory at the time. You'll certainly find a buyer for it though, the market for vintage Apple products is growing and a collector would snap them up.

Anything Apple is worth holding on to especially if its in good condition. Is the vinyl cutter and digitizing table actual Apple hardware? If not they might not be worth all that much, you would have to check if they are collectible in their own right.

A bunch of new things got announced today:

MacBook Air

iPad Pro

Mac Mini

Interestingly, the new A12X chip is a 7 nm processor which I find kind of amusing since Intel is struggling to produce their 10 nm chip and AMD is still trying to make their own 7 nm processor.

Nope

Nope

lol nope

Gee, seems like naming solutions are getting quite hard for them... And $800 for for 8GB of RAM? I'm sorry, but are you ****ing serious?

lmfao... It's so sad knowing people will splurge on something as sadistic as this... but then you have to step back, and realize what kind of people they are in the first place.

I don't own any of their computers (I build my own), but I did have an iPad for quite awhile before it would no longer update to the newest iOS and I quit using it. My biggest gripe is that you cannot use microSD cards to expand the storage space. My parents had a 2009 iMac 27" which lasted them 9 years until they had to replace it. That's actually a pretty good lifetime imo for a computer.

I don't own any of their computers (I build my own), but I did have an iPad for quite awhile before it would no longer update to the newest iOS and I quit using it. My biggest gripe is that you cannot use microSD cards to expand the storage space. My parents had a 2009 iMac 27" which lasted them 9 years until they had to replace it. That's actually a pretty good lifetime imo for a computer.
I have both my first ipad 2 and my sister's ipad 2 that she got a few months after me still, from whenever it was they originally came out. At first it was great, as I actually needed them for presentations, public speaking, etc... Now, one of them is relegated as a dual-screen, and the other is for casual browsing. They're far too slow to do anything with them. Google Chrome will consistently crash for unknown reasons, and there's no point to opening the app store.

The one thing... while they still make them, that I'll give apple credit for, is their earphones/pods. I've never liked the in-ear gel earphones but when Apple started making these I thought they were the best that I've ever heard from, for $20 (at the time.. now it's $40 iirc). I've tested the cordless ones of a friend of mine and they work great, but I don't like the fact they're also wireless because of the charging situation, as it's just another thing to keep up with.

If they ever come out in a space-grey color however, I'll buy them immediately.

The new Mac Mini, is £800. £800!

I've always wanted one as a PC, I mostly game on an ancient PC anyway so the space saved would be nice... but £800, for a 128gb hdd... are they high?

£800... what?!

I long for the days when the MacBook Pro line was upgradable in RAM and storage, and had a MagSafe connector for its power cord.

So I keep upgrading my old 2008 MacBook Pro, and rejoicing each time I trip over the power cord and the event doesn’t send my MBP flying to a nasty death.

I wonder why Apple decided to kill MagSafe and upgradability. Hmmmmmm

I was just looking at the specs and apparently the MacBook Air is thicker and heavier than a normal MacBook. Why is it called the Air if it's bigger in every way?

I was just looking at the specs and apparently the MacBook Air is thicker and heavier than a normal MacBook. Why is it called the Air if it's bigger in every way?

???

MacBook Pro Height: 1.49 cm (0.59 inches)
MacBook Air
Height: 0.41–1.56 cm (0.16–0.61 inches)

Not the MBP, the MacBook, aka the Air that wasn’t called the air. That’s also several years old now and a refresh will likely move it back to its rightful position between the Air and the Pro.

Not the MBP, the MacBook, aka the Air that wasn’t called the air. That’s also several years old now and a refresh will likely move it back to its rightful position between the Air and the Pro.

That's because the 'Air' name is just a name now, it used to mean 'thinnest Mac' when it launched all those years ago but now it doesn't stand for that anymore. The MacBook is indeed thinner but its also less powerful now that's its a generation behind the processors used in the Air (on the i5 model). The current Macbook isn't several years old, it came out in 2015 and was refreshed in 2017.

I meant refreshed in terms of design, not internal specification, which for the MacBook is several years old now.

Like I said, the Air will probably become the thinnest/smallest MacBook again when that happens.

I meant refreshed in terms of design, not internal specification, which for the MacBook is several years old now.

Like I said, the Air will probably become the thinnest/smallest MacBook again when that happens.

I think Jonny has produced some really great works, but his inability to develop Apple's look and style has meant that everyone else has caught up and overtaken them. Samsung's phones look sleeker than Apple's offerings and several laptops have also caught up in terms of look and feel for far cheaper.

I can't see anything changing for a good while, it's a shame as I think with a bit more of a push on the industrial side of design would make all Apple products look 1000x better and more unique.

I think Jonny has produced some really great works, but his inability to develop Apple's look and style has meant that everyone else has caught up and overtaken them. Samsung's phones look sleeker than Apple's offerings and several laptops have also caught up in terms of look and feel for far cheaper.

I can't see anything changing for a good while, it's a shame as I think with a bit more of a push on the industrial side of design would make all Apple products look 1000x better and more unique.

I think it's because Apple has gone from being a trendsetter to being considered a classic design. A bit like Porsche, they found a good look then stuck to it for decades. It's what people now identify the brand with.

I still very much like the Apple 'look' (a legacy of the early/mid 2000's) and I wouldn't want them to change it even if the competitions offerings may look more futuristic.

I think it's because Apple has gone from being a trendsetter to being considered a classic design. A bit like Porsche, they found a good look then stuck to it for decades. It's what people now identify the brand with.

I still very much like the Apple 'look' (a legacy of the early/mid 2000's) and I wouldn't want them to change it even if the competitions offerings may look more futuristic.

Personally the best thing I think they ever produced was the iPhone 4, it was the perfect match of minimalism and industrialism, only seen since in the quickly abandoned MacPro.

Personally the best thing I think they ever produced was the iPhone 4, it was the perfect match of minimalism and industrialism, only seen since in the quickly abandoned MacPro.

The Mac Pro was an example of Apple going too far and alienating their core fan base. This is why Apple tries to reign in their exuberance (or rather minimalist exuberance) with design. It was too 'out there' and as a consequence was far too expensive and user unfriendly. I applaud the effort but it didn't make business sense.

Back