The Apple Thread

• Thread starter Robin
  • 565 comments
Wish the X had both Touch ID and Face ID. One thing I like about TouchID is being able to tap out of the Tube/pay for stuff without having to look at the phone at all. The new camera is interesting, I wonder how many stops that new image stabilisation system is worth?

Out of all the stuff announced today I'm most likely to pick up the new Apple watch. Might not need a phone at all now, it'll help me cut down on social network usage quite drastically. :lol:

Fingerprints are better and you don't have to make sure you face is pointing right at the camera (like if it's on a table etc).

The bezel is pretty thick by modern standards for a "bezeless" phone. Also the way it curves around the top sensors isn't exactly pretty.

I do like the glass backs on both the 8 and X but boy is the lip/edge on the X's rear camera huge!
Its terrible also security wise. Imagine a stranger pointing your iphone to your face unsuspectingly.

Why is it called Iphone X? Got the name idea from Windows? 7, 8, then ten?

Its beautiful but kinda jumped into bandwagon of bezeless phones rather than actually inventing. Still that front speaker protuding the display is kinda intriguing.

$1000 is really expensive. But then again, its apple.

Wireless charging isnt new but the Airpower mat is. The current ones, mainly Samsung, isnt exactly convenient, so lets see if this takes off. It even supports 3 devices at once.

Its terrible also security wise. Imagine a stranger pointing your iphone to your face unsuspectingly.

Yeah some journalists mentioned this, it's really bad because someone could pick up your phone point it at your face and then run! At least grabbing someone's finger is much harder.

I suspect Apple will pull a Microsoft and skip the 9. For some reason it doesn't seem to be a very 'forward' number!

I much prefer the 8 as a whole package to the X, there isn't actually much difference specs wise and I think it looks more attractive.

Legit didn't know face unlock wasn't in iphones. I have it in my Xperia X and never use it -- thing fingerprints are better.
Face Unlock has been in Android since 4.0, but yeah it's basically been replaced by fingerprint scanners.

The cutout along the top of the display for the iPhone X seems poorly designed. It looked strange on the Essential Phone, but this is even worse:
iphone-x-vs-essential-spec-shootout-470x310@2x.jpg

0C48BFB.jpg

Part of this game that they demoed was cut off by the display...

I don't think of it as a cutout, it's more like two little extension tabs. When you think of it like that, it makes a lot more sense that the utility drawer thing and the notification menu are pulled down from either one tab or the other. I never understood the whole utility drawer swipe from the bottom thing. That always seemed very unintuitive and anti-Jobsian to me. This new X ("X" has always been "ten" in the Apple le10icon.) makes a lot more sense with how the button has been replaced by the swipe-up. I just wish there were a better, more universal way to go "back" like on Android.

I don't think this is a coincidence that this phone looks so much like OG iPhone. All of the new tech probably won't hit its stride until the next iteration or so. IPhone 3G and 4 were the primes as far as I'm concerned.

Wish the X had both Touch ID and Face ID. One thing I like about TouchID is being able to tap out of the Tube/pay for stuff without having to look at the phone at all. The new camera is interesting, I wonder how many stops that new image stabilisation system is worth?

Out of all the stuff announced today I'm most likely to pick up the new Apple watch. Might not need a phone at all now, it'll help me cut down on social network usage quite drastically. :lol:

I agree the Face ID is a cool bit of Tech but I wish they had incorporated the Touch ID into the bottom of the screen or on the back like some Samsung phones.

I'm not too worried about people stealing the phone, since you have to be looking at it. Just refuse to open your eyes and look at it. :D

Also once the sprint away with the phone I'm sure they won't have time to stop and re-register your their face to unlock it. Apple will probably have a security passcode to wipe the current face. Making stealing the phone a little point less.

I also looked at the watch and found myself intreagued more that the previous iterations. The built in cellular is really a game changer for someone like me. I still don't think it's the most beautiful watch but it's slowly becoming the most useful watch. Couple the new watch and new phone battery life and I can see both lasting all day sharing the duties of workload.

This year is the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, except it released in January 2007. That wouldn't fit their usual cycle, I guess.

The only reason FaceID failed the first time is because the passcode hadn't been entered since the phone booted up, same thing happens with TouchID.

The enable message also appears if you’ve not used Touch ID in the last 8 hours. I guess he didn’t unlock that particular phone using Face ID before the event started.

Its beautiful but kinda jumped into bandwagon of bezeless phones rather than actually inventing. Still that front speaker protuding the display is kinda intriguing.

$1000 is really expensive. But then again, its apple.

Wireless charging isnt new but the Airpower mat is. The current ones, mainly Samsung, isnt exactly convenient, so lets see if this takes off. It even supports 3 devices at once.

For the stranger to point your own iPhone at your face they'd need to get in possession of said iPhone to begin with

--

X is the Roman numeral for 10. It's been 10 years since the original iPhone came out.

--

The Note 8 is $940 and it doesn't offer that much more than what an S8+ does.

--

Face Unlock has been in Android since 4.0, but yeah it's basically been replaced by fingerprint scanners.

The cutout along the top of the display for the iPhone X seems poorly designed. It looked strange on the Essential Phone, but this is even worse:

0C48BFB.jpg

This is what confuses me as well. I always thought that they'd cut off the display near the notch, and use the OLED display to make the "ears" of the phone black. Guess that isn't the case, though I guess I could get used to it?

For the stranger to point your own iPhone at your face they'd need to get in possession of said iPhone to begin with

--

X is the Roman numeral for 10. It's been 10 years since the original iPhone came out.

--

The Note 8 is $940 and it doesn't offer that much more than what an S8+ does.

--
I already know that IPhone franchise itself are 10 years old, so its very sweet for them to change the design radically for the anniversary. Its just really funny to see both of them (Apple and Microsoft) skips the number 9 for some reason.

Also when I said "but it's Apple", I meant its not shocking that Apple will price their hardware that high, especially with the radical design. Samsung ones is more surprising, from the alternative to Apple price wise to basically become one.

Apple has confirmed the reason why Face ID didn't work... the phone had been handled by lots of people during the event setup and because it tried to read all their faces it locked the phone to passcode.

If anyone wants to buy the ipx.
It will be disposable as it will be dead in a year.

This is an admission by apple on how they make their phones.
Wonder what apple users will really think about the phones now.

If anyone wants to buy the ipx.
It will be disposable as it will be dead in a year.

This is an admission by apple on how they make their phones.
Wonder what apple users will really think about the phones now.

Can you elaborate on this?

So it's a legal argument based on the length of a warranty rather than an actual test on the durability of a product. An argument that any lawyer hired by any company would use in court.

I've had iPhones for 10 years and the ones I still have in my possession work fine, so the ~3 year estimate that Apple mentions is pretty accurate. I'm also backed up by a 2 year EU warranty and a 6 year UK one, and from personal experience Apple are the easiest company to deal with when it comes to in and out of warranty repairs.

So nothing's changed about what I think about the phones now. The 8/8+ is a nice update, like the glass backs, and the X is definitely cool, still wish it had Touch ID but I'll approach it with an open mind.

The Mi Mix has it right:
xiomi-mi-mix.jpg

The 2nd model is looking like it will have even less of a bezel visible. I can't comment on how well the rest of the phone performs though.

The Mi Mix has it right:

Exactly, they have done bezel-less better than every other manufacturer out there. They put all the sensors and front camera in the bottom lip where your eyes look the least. No horrid cut out or strips top and bottom.

Am I the only one who isn't a fan of having no bezel?

Having a bezel gives my fingers more rooms to grab the sides so I can comfortably use the device in one hand without accidentally making side inputs with my index or middle.

Am I the only one who isn't a fan of having no bezel?

Having a bezel gives my fingers more rooms to grab the sides so I can comfortably use the device in one hand without accidentally making side inputs with my index or middle.

If the phone has good edge rejection sensing then it's not that big of a problem. I do agree that it can be annoying sometimes having no where to properly hold the phone without pressing something by accident but I personally would prefer more screen real estate whilst keeping the body the same size.

There are a few reports of iPhone 8 batteries swelling up and popping out the screen, Apple are investigating.

There is such a push in the industry these days to package the batteries as tightly as possible in the smallest of spaces.

I don't understand all of the love for the iPhone X. Nearly all of those features are available on Samsung's Galaxy S8 for ~$250 less. Samsung also implemented many of these features on the Galaxy S6. And then Apple is charging nearly $1000 for the 256GB version. You could purchase the Samsung and buy a 256GB microSD card for it and likely save money. And you're not tethered to iTunes.

The same group that will go on and on about samsungs exploding phones and fail to acknowledge apples exploding phones.

If the IP8 ends up having a battery issue apple wont recall and discontinue the phone like samsung did.

Is this happening on all the iPhones or just the iPhone 8?

Thirty Five Dollars

There is a video on YouTube where some guy jerry-rigged a headphone adapter to the inside of his iPhone and gave it a "homemade" headphone jack. But it's true that they had to delete it to make the phone thinner. Let them do what they want, it will just force people, who don't want to buy wireless headphones, onto a competitor's product that offers the headphone jack.

Back