Are iPods worth the $?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Silverzone
  • 22 comments
  • 847 views
Messages
4,312
Are they? ME thinks they are cool looking. Are the worth the money?
 
damm skippy they are.

if youve got the cash to spend on something like the ipod, might as well spend it on something that looks good.:lol:
 
I doubt it. You can get a 20GB Neuros for 200 bucks, yet you can't even get a 4GB mini iPod for that money. You'll pay 400 bucks for the 20GB version.

I don't see how the iPod could be TWICE as good as the Neuros. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't justify spending twice as much money on something just because it looks so damn cool.
 
Thanks Klos, he's right about the Neuros... It does have it's issues as I'm finding out but they have great future expandibility along with Support either phone or at the forums. Like I say about food... why the hell go to a resturant and pay $20.00 and get a bite worth of crap when you could go to a decent one pay $10 and get a **** load of good food?? Screw Status and it looking nice whoop de do... BTW, when that batt runs out on your iPod it's gonna be all show no go once you realize you pay $100 to have the batt replaced verus Neuros replacement at $12 (past warrenty). :lol:
 
iPod has design coming out of the wazoo and it's got the most user friendly interface EVER. That's all the benefit to the pod. I had one for about 3 months till I got mugged - I loved it and I NEVER went anywhere without it (only the remote and earphones ever poked out of my inside jacket pocket).

If you want to spend that much green, get the iRiver ihp140 - it came out too late after I got the pod else I'd have been mugged for THAT instead.
 
Originally posted by Klostrophobic
I doubt it. You can get a 20GB Neuros for 200 bucks, yet you can't even get a 4GB mini iPod for that money. You'll pay 400 bucks for the 20GB version.

I don't see how the iPod could be TWICE as good as the Neuros. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't justify spending twice as much money on something just because it looks so damn cool.

its looks good, damm you. thats all that matters:lol:

besides why is it any concern of yours klos? your rich..............right?

in the case of poor ass me.....it is a problem......but thats a whole 'nother story:lol:
 
Well, I think it's worth it...definitely on eBay of course. :D
 
Originally posted by Silverzone
Are they? ME thinks they are cool looking. Are the worth the money?

No, there not.

My 60gb player. = £280
40gb iPos = £400

I borrowed a friends 15gb iPos and copied some tracks from my player (160kbps hq lame encoded), used the same headphones and it didn't sound as good.

So if you want a bigger hole in your wallet, less storage space and worse sound quality. Go for the iPos. Unless your realy fussed about how easy the thing is to use.
 
I use MiniDisc. Sound quality is awesome.
 
I use a basic Sony Cd player with an ATRAC program that can cram about 500 songs on one cd-RW.


It's awesomes. 👍


And if im right 500 songs= Roughly 400 hours?
 
i no rich. i just wondered if they work. an if they are cool i shall save up.
 
And if im right 500 songs= Roughly 400 hours?

At about 45 minutes a song?
 
I tried using my friends iPod because I've never looked at the interface and look a how it works internally. I gotta say I wasn't too impressed, I always thought it was really user friendly and really detailed but I didn't find it that easy?
 
Originally posted by xAkirax2004
I use a basic Sony Cd player with an ATRAC program that can cram about 500 songs on one cd-RW.


It's awesomes. 👍


And if im right 500 songs= Roughly 400 hours?

500 songs is probably closer to 33 hours. Assuming the average song is about 4 minutes.
 
I go by the rule of 1MB:1Minute. It seems to have worked in the past. And Klos is right - they're about 4 minutes to a song. That would be the "mean". I believe the average is actually lower.
 
I average about 2 MB per minute with the songs I rip, but I use a high bitrate. VBR (320 high, 128 low). But I've got a 20 GB player, so I'm not likely to fill it up any time soon.

I think my average song is about 4:15 long.
 
Originally posted by Klostrophobic
I average about 2 MB per minute with the songs I rip, but I use a high bitrate. VBR (320 high, 128 low). But I've got a 20 GB player, so I'm not likely to fill it up any time soon.

I think my average song is about 4:15 long.

Jeebus haploid christ that's a high bitrate. I can't tell the difference between 320 (HQ Lame encoded) and 160 (HQ Lame encoded) in sound quality. It must be the all the battering my ears have taken over the last few years at clubs, concerts and just generally listening to music too loud.

Although I refuse to encode my whole album collection again. Seeing as I already accidentally deleted my entire album collection of my player once and i'm finaly just getting back to the way it was before.





Yeah.
 
What about those new Dell players, are they any good?
 
Originally posted by Race Idiot
Jeebus haploid christ that's a high bitrate. I can't tell the difference between 320 (HQ Lame encoded) and 160 (HQ Lame encoded) in sound quality. It must be the all the battering my ears have taken over the last few years at clubs, concerts and just generally listening to music too loud.

Yeah, I can't really tell the difference in anything above 192 bitrate, but if I get a good set of headphones, I'm thinking I will be able to tell the difference.
 
Nah, that's an old, geeky biology joke.

No offense to old, geeky biologists.
 
Originally posted by Klostrophobic
I average about 2 MB per minute with the songs I rip, but I use a high bitrate. VBR (320 high, 128 low). But I've got a 20 GB player, so I'm not likely to fill it up any time soon.

I think my average song is about 4:15 long.

I used to use 320 VBR but VBR does strange things in some players, so I gave up on that. I'm doing 192 fixed these days and I just crunched some numbers and came up with 1.4MB/minute.
 
Back