Are the penalties too extreme at Le Mans?

*Triggered*

These penalties are ludicrous and completely erroneous!

I've been running laps at Le Mans all day in private test sessions as I've been getting ready for the IRS 2.4 hrs or Le Mans on the 15th. Even though sport mode is running than different BoP and does not allow tuning, I thought I should run a few sport mode races to some race experience instead of running alone.

After one qualifying lap, I received this penalty and instantly quit.

I don't believe this is cutting the track nor should I be penalized with such a large penalty...

BUT then people are doing THIS and its perfectly okay! That makes no sense...

(Video courtesy of @Alpha Cipher)

If you break the 1st video down around the 11 second mark, you can see that your driver side wheels had to be on the outer edge of the kurb. While an 11 second penalty is ludicrous, you're still technically 4 wheels off tarmac.

You gotta be on your p's and q's with this track, but I don't mind it. Sport Mode needs all the help it can get making players more conscientious.

Today I had a run in with another driver at the second chicane on the straight while I could have avoided him. Yet the fear of one of those ridiculous short cut penalties was greater than the 3 sec contact penalty.... The kerbs and run offs are there to prevent accidents, however I find the harsh penalties have shifted my priorities. Stay on track first, avoid other cars second... No more getting out of the way when someone cuts me off as the penalty for going out the white line is far more severe.

I do like strict track limits, but context is key. When side by side with another car you should not get punished for avoiding contact, or double punished when the other car bumps you over the line.

It does seem that there are still ways to cheat on Le Mans even with the strict penalties as I had several races end with people calling the winner cheating. I forgot to save the replay :/

Yeah the track limits are extremely strict but also seems inconsistant to me always feel like I get a penalty one lap at Terte Rouge and then use the same line the lap later and dont get one when im expecting it

Had 2 races yesterday where i overshoot the second corner going into the Dunlop Chicane, didn't gain or lost any places and didn't get a penalty. But when i race and cut the 3rd corner with only 2" i get a penalty... But i can live with it most of the time.

You only get a penalty if the game thinks you gained any time how ever small multiplied by 10,000. You also don't get a penalty if another car taps you before you cross the boundary. It would be better if it was consistent or at least an alert when you're over the boundary so you can actually learn the track limits.

The Mulsanne chicance and Mulsanne corner were the most glaring, most cars were way over in the real race

The track limits are stupid, not just because they are strict (and wrong) but because they are invisible. Draw a giant PINK line for all i care.. JUST SHOW ME WHERE THE TRACK IS..
The white lines are not clear enough for you? :P

Jokes aside, the problem with real life vs digital life is that in real life you have stewards that watch the racing. You don't have that in GTS. The issue is that the white lines really are the boundry, no matter how much you disagree. When a driver is outside the track limits in real life, nobody cares if the driver does not gain any advantage, but I guess it's too complicated for Polyphony to calculate this when desiding if the player is to be punished or not.

A solution to this is to have stewards in the online races and no boundary, like we have in Iracing.

A solution to this is to have stewards in the online races and no boundary, like we have in Iracing.

Isn't Le Mans in iRacing also notorious for slowdowns?

My only issue really now with Le Mans is with Sector 1, I feel the penalty system is calculated server side so even small lag can impact on track limits. I could do the same line through sector 1 and one lap I'd get no penalty, the next I'd pick up a second or so.

Plenty of times I've gone through 'safely' only to pick up a 7 tenth penalty, then I've felt I've been too greedy and been able to carry on :lol:

Jokes aside, the problem with real life vs digital life is that in real life you have stewards that watch the racing. You don't have that in GTS. The issue is that the white lines really are the boundry, no matter how much you disagree. When a driver is outside the track limits in real life, nobody cares if the driver does not gain any advantage, but I guess it's too complicated for Polyphony to calculate this when desiding if the player is to be punished or not.

It's not that complicated, it's just that PD immediately penalize any infraction. In real life there is leeway; going over the curb a couple times during the race is not a big deal, but do it every lap and you might get a track limits penalty. This can be modeled in GTS by having a per-player counter attached to every area where corner cutting occurs. Every time a player goes over a specific corner, the counter should be increased. If one of those counters goes over some limit, player gets hit with the penalty. This would be a bit of work on PD's part, but not immensely difficult to implement.

I assume you mean the dotted line :P
tHt1sRx.jpg

The game does calculate whether you gain an advantage time wise, however small and multiplies it by a lot to determine the penalty. You can go slower over the track boundaries which makes it more confusing to determine where they actually are.

The difference with real life is there the stewards don't care if you gain 0.1 sec when you're still in the same spot in the pack. The problem with GTS is that it doesn't see the difference between driving by yourself and gaining a little advantage, and driving in a pack and stepping over the line for a second to avoid contact when braking in dirty air or when the car ahead is unstable. The run off areas are there to avoid accidents, yet GTS penalizes you for avoiding accidents....

I did about three laps of qualifying and just one GR.1 Race on it, and even though I do find it strict. I found myself paying closer attention to my racing line, as to not push it to far. In my three laps of qualifying, I did find those limits and exceeded. In the race, when I found those limits, and when I did exceed them, I did get penalized, and seemed pretty consistent for me, on why I got penalized.

It seemed like to me, as long as I got two wheel pass the curbs, there's a good chance to get a penalty, so I just made sure I didn't do that.

The white lines are at most a guideline.. They are not consistent on Le Mans or other tracks. GT-SPORT had a year of teaching us where we should expect the limits to be and now they tell us something else..

I did my first online race at Le Mans last night and I have to agree, the track limits are absurd. I am currently running in the GTP Weekly Race Series Time Trail at Le Mans with the Gr.1 Toyota and our track limits are strict but very fair. I have 1200+ miles around the track this week and have dialed in our track limits...

First lap I had 10 seconds in penalties...the first sector is extremely severe and it is funny watching cars tip toe around that section. :lol:

I don't know if you read the thread at all, but the white lines don't always mean the track boundaries in terms of penalties and vary from corner to corner. Some corners you can have all 4 wheels on the inside, or outside, with no issues.

The exact reason that ALL TRACKS should have the same rules of 2 complete tires inside the tracks main white line boundaries at all times whether on an inside radius, outside radius or down a straight and failure to maintain such will result in a penalty.

Then there is no question regardless of track or location on track of legal in bounds or out of bounds and every track is the same as far as the legal limits are concerned.

When you have one track where certain corners allow the complete car to go off of the actual racing surface without penalty and the next track or sometimes even corner that if the outside tires even infringe 2" on the outer curb surface and you are penalized then the system needs a more common denominator as to where or what dictates the inbound and out of bound lines.

Using the original circuits white lines as guidelines takes the circuits limits back to what the course designer intended the challenges of the circuit to be rather than a racing orgs decision to loosen the limits and each racing org or steward has different interpretations. The lines give a yes-no allowed period answer across the board.

If you break the 1st video down around the 11 second mark, you can see that your driver side wheels had to be on the outer edge of the kurb. While an 11 second penalty is ludicrous, you're still technically 4 wheels off tarmac.

You gotta be on your p's and q's with this track, but I don't mind it. Sport Mode needs all the help it can get making players more conscientious.
This still doesn't explain how could the Japanese guy cut the last chicane so much.

Back