Are there any plans to enhance Gran Turismo as a platform for virtual drifting?

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 47 comments
Canada
Canada
To begin, my question would have to be

Are there any plans to start adding/including OPTIONS which are tailored towards drifting, in order to enhance Gran Turismo as a platform for virtual drifting, and if so, could you offer a rough timeline for their release?

Here is a short list of improvements to enhance Gran Turismo as a drifting platform:

- Have Steering Lock be an adjustable option in the tuning menu. Purchase of an aftermarket steering angle kit might be necessary to access the adjustment?

- If adjustable steering angle is not a possibility for GT6, is it possible to add an option to turn off the "points clicker" while in Drift Trial Mode.
If anyone would like clarification as to why fully adjustable steering lock in all game modes, or at least removal of the "clicker" in Drift Mode, is in high demand amongst the drift community, PM me.

- continued development of the clutch model, along with allowing H-pattern shifters to be used on all fully customizable transmissions.

- The ability to convert AWD cars to RWD (eg Nissan BNR34 GTR) would greatly enhance the variety of drift cars in the game, without needing to add more cars to the game. This is also useful for more than just drifting.

- An option to turn off the WRONG WAY indicator. In many of the video shots linked below, we are driving the "wrong way". At this point, it's just a nuisance...but it's simple, and it would be a start :lol:

- Include some "drift friendly" tuning options, such as adjustment to: caster, steering lock, steering ratio, tire pressure, engine timing and/or ecu mapping,

- There are cones, tough-blocks, k-rails, and other moveable objects programmed into the game. Are there any plans to include an editor that would allow players to place our own cones, toughblocks and k-rails, etc. to mark clipping points and design our own custom drift sections (within the environments that already exist)? This would be useful for lots of other forms of Motorsport as well.

***This is a very condensed list of the more relatively basic improvements that could be made to GT to enhance the drifting capabilities. A more complete list can be found in the Drift Forum Suggestions Thread. I'm trying to keep this "question" short. If anyone has any questions (including you, Kaz :sly:), send me a PM here on GTP.***

Although I personally have nothing against the "mini-game" known as "points drifting", I don't think it takes any kind of expert to know that this is not what the core of drifting is about. I don't need to get into how flawed the points system is, but if you would like my views on it, please contact me for a personal chat :)

These are examples of the foundations that we in the drift community would like to build on...not "points drifting"

Last edited:
That's the hope man :).

The future of drifting in Gran Turismo is something that us NEMESIS guys have been thinking about for a while. We see nearly endless possibilities. But in order to realize any of them, we need to start laying a solid foundation. Hopefully this can be this first step :)
Mind if I join in? Haha

Does the Mirror option exist for tracks?

I'm not sure I follow? Well, I think I do a little but, but could you elaborate?

Edit:

Thought about it. You mean have "opposite" versions of all the tracks?...that's pretty cool. So instead of T-1 being a right, it would be a left, and so on.

Not sure if I could see it happening with the real tracks, but with any of the PD created tracks, I can't see why it couldn't be possible (maybe storage? I don't know...). Just another option that could be added without much heavy lifting.

Last edited:
Here is what i see that should be added

Engine timing options-This will help dial in power bands to where they are actually beneficial to helping maintain and control wheel spin by smoothing powrr delivery

Steering ratio-Has nothing to do with Steering lock but how quickly The wheels go from lock to lock.

Individual strut dampening adjustments.

Tire pressure adjustments

We need two drift park tracks, with one having skid pad to practice constant motion drift in circles or figure eights with, and both having weather and daylight changes

Engine timing options-This will help dial in power bands to where they are actually beneficial to helping maintain and control wheel spin by smoothing powrr delivery

Steering ratio-Has nothing to do with Steering lock but how quickly The wheels go from lock to lock.

Ds3 already has the option to make the wheels turn faster.

I think the tuning options (caster/steering angle/drivetrain) are not going to change, that would require a redesign of the suspension physics which would be way too time consuming and complicated for a patch.
The other stuff seems reasonable though, it would be nice to be able to turn off various HUD options such as the points and wrong way indicator. Those things along with the implementation of moveable objects in a course designer seem like a great idea but I suppose that's down to how the course designer works. It might just be a series of sliders giving a procedurally generated map like it was in 5 but hopefully it will be more customisable.

Thanks for all the support everyone :)

I agree with all of those points, but like @DolHaus mentioned, it is highly unlikely that any changes to tuning will happen via updates to GT6, as it is more than likely too involved for an update/DLC ( just my guess though). Steering angle is the only one I see as being reasonable, since a "poor mans adjustment" (or rich man, depending on your point of view lol) was in GT5, and we know there is a similar variable in GT6.

My main goal with this is more to simply get the attention of PD, with the ultimate goal being some form of collaboration of ideas in regards to drift related content for future instalments in the series.

If there comes a time where someone asks us for a more detailed list of drift related content, I'll gladly start piecing one together (with everyone's help and input, of course).
:cheers:

The moveable objects such as the cones and Barriers should be simple, it would work like photo mode, where we can select a car rotate and place them where we want. Just with cones and barriers. It should (could) be implemented with the course maker that we were promised. At least I hope its that simple.

The moveable objects such as the cones and Barriers should be simple, it would work like photo mode, where we can select a car rotate and place them where we want. Just with cones and barriers. It should (could) be implemented with the course maker that we were promised. At least I hope its that simple.

I agree that the "object placer" does not seem like the most complicated feature, well within the realm of possibility.

The most difficult aspect, I think, would be incorporating it into the online mode. How would we go about loading and sharing our "custom sections" with the online community?

The first solution that jumps to mind is a feature for sharing tracks, like we had in GT5. But that would require a community feature first...

Back