Ariel Atom's Got Nothing On This

  • Thread starter Thread starter skip0110
  • 25 comments
  • 1,774 views
Messages
5,178
United States
Worcester, MA
Messages
skip0110
So I was browsing eBay motors as I sometimes do, and I stumbled upon this street legal Indy car with a SBC....:D

Video @ the link.


Clicky


 
wow. ill take it!
 
It'll kill you. How much grip will it have on those tyres?
 
Not to mention break your back.

I'd be happy if I could just take it to the track.
 
Street Legal? Are you serious?

I would take it! Damn, i love speed, and if it help me reach high speed... please it a must!
 
I'd be embarrassed to drive a car with 1980s truck tires like that. Aren't there any better that come in those sizes? And that engine sounds embarrassing too. Talk about redneck. The thing sounds like it's underwater.
 
That's just insane. Where do you put the license plates..
 
I like the idea of a road legal single seater race car, but the thought of being squashified by an SUV doesn't appeal. No wheelarches mean it isn't legal here either. Plus, where would you put your shopping?

I'll stick with one of these, thanks.
 
That's just insane. Where do you put the license plates..
Theres one on the back, I don't think you need a front one in that state. I am suprised it's legal to have uncovered wheels there though, that wouldn't be legal here in the UK but a few more mods could make it.
 
It surprises me too, and I live in the states.

I can't believe he has crap tires like that on there though... should have some of these.

soloracerdotcom_1924_17354980


Kumho V710. DOT street legal.
 
Kumho V710. DOT street legal.
By technicality only. They do have the legal amount of "tread". I wouldn't want to be caught in the rain, though :).
 
That's sweet, and insane that it's street legal.

It's a really bad idea to drive a Formula car anywhere near pickups or SUVs though. You hit one, the nose goes under the truck, and your head gets crushed between the truck's bumper and your headrest.
 
Why would you be such a car? 1. Once it breaks down, you'll need serious amounts of time to even fix it in some sort of a way. 2. Speed, what are you going to do? Accelerate wheneve the road's clear to use all of the brakes to stop back again behind another car? Get huge fines on speed breaking? 3. No safety whatsoever, if the EuroNCAP should rate this thing, it would get -5 stars...

Not to mention the lousy tires on it...
 
Why would you be such a car? 1. Once it breaks down, you'll need serious amounts of time to even fix it in some sort of a way. 2. Speed, what are you going to do? Accelerate wheneve the road's clear to use all of the brakes to stop back again behind another car? Get huge fines on speed breaking? 3. No safety whatsoever, if the EuroNCAP should rate this thing, it would get -5 stars...

Not to mention the lousy tires on it...

If its ex race car id be safer than almost any other road car.
 
The engine is a Chevy smallblock so I doubt it would cost the earth to fix when it breaks. Especially in murica. Most sane people would just trailer it to trackdays than actually use it on the road anyway.
 
It surprises me too, and I live in the states.

I can't believe he has crap tires like that on there though... should have some of these.

soloracerdotcom_1924_17354980


Kumho V710. DOT street legal.

Those tires were Hooiser in the video I am surprised that they make any tires with tread, I mean Hoosier's specialty is competition tires

But the biding price is not that high either I mean its only under USD$23,000
 
Hoosiers? Those were Hoosiers? I didn't think they made tires with tread either.

Still, those tires, even if they are Hoosiers, look like all season snow and mud tires or something. Not performance tires.
 
I would rather have the Ariel Atom, thank you.
 
Well, it's definitely intriguing.

Would've loved to see him run against the sport bike in the video though.:sly:

While the engine did sound somewhat obnoxious, I could live with it due to it's track-day potential.

And to whoever said that the bidding price was low: the bid ended a few weeks ago, with the highest bidder bidding $4x,xxx for it, and the reserve still wasn't met.
 
meh, not impressed...not impressed by the Atom either, or any other modern open-wheeled car. the fact that they go fast is a "Well, DUH!" proposition.

Tires on that one almost look like Dirt tires. Which would be a fun thing...take it out to the 1/4 bullring for some hotlaps. I'd have a demo run at the Illinois State Fairgrounds 1-mi, myself. I'd need to screen-over and filter a few openings, but that'd be a neat thing to try.

too cramped for a street car, though. and, I might swap the "Infiniti" badge on the front for a Chevy. Or try and put the Titan's mill and all of it's electronics in there.

Or, even better, an alchy-fueled 410 engine...
 
Ehh.. no thanks. I could just see some one not seeing this car at a red light ramping up the back and then getting pushed into the car in front and it ramping up the front. At this point it being a safer car is pretty pointless. Besides I have a feeling the Atom is lighter and still damn faster.
 
I'd be embarrassed to drive a car with 1980s truck tires like that. Aren't there any better that come in those sizes? And that engine sounds embarrassing too. Talk about redneck. The thing sounds like it's underwater.
I guess you don't like Chevrolet Camaros or Corvettes either. Redneck? Sounds better than some of those "Chuga-chuga" diesels in Europe.

Roo
I like the idea of a road legal single seater race car, but the thought of being squashified by an SUV doesn't appeal. No wheelarches mean it isn't legal here either. Plus, where would you put your shopping?

I'll stick with one of these, thanks.
Kind of ironic considering that doesn't appear to have any room for groceries either.

Plus, that thing looks ugly as hell. :crazy:
 
It does have a certain cool factor to it, but you know damn well every single time you drove it a cop would pull you over. It would get very annoying really quickly.
 
I'd be too tempted to push it too far. The downforce may say "yes", but the tires may say "no, no". Then it's around a tree I go.

But I have always thought it would be cool to drive a F1 car on the street. And now someone has actually done it.
 
DWA
Besides I have a feeling the Atom is lighter and still damn faster.
Faster? No way in hell if you put good tires on it. Lighter? Hell no.
 
I guess it has to run those tyres since they are probably the only ones available with the height of sidewall that 'formula' or single seater cars require. Single seaters at this level of competition really require high sidewalled tyres since it forms a major part of the cars suspension. Lower profile tyres would make it back shatteringly stiff - even on a glass smooth race track, which really would make it pointless as a road legal vehicle.

Faster? No way in hell if you put good tires on it. Lighter? Hell no.

An Ariel Atom weighs 456kgs

An IRL car weighs 700kgs or almost 50% heavier than an Ariel Atom.

That small block Chevy lump will add a good chunk of weight on top of that and would have to be in a high state of tune to even get close to the Ariel's power to weight ratio. Those tyres would also cancel out any downforce benefits that the IRL's wings might provide.
 
Back