ARL Driver Training and Information Saturdays

• Thread starter SydViscus
  • 162 comments
Canada
Ontario
SydViscus
For anyone who wants to attend,

I will now be running a driver training/information lobby prior to every Gr. 3 Saturday race. These lobbies will open at 7:30 Eastern Time and run until mock lobby. Anyone from any series seeking improvement in their driving or racecraft, as well as anyone who has questions for the BoD on rules, regulations and best practices is welcome to attend, there will be a voice chat but if you cannot chat I'll answer questions through the in game chat, albeit much slower than over voice chat.

Also, if there are any drivers who want to attend as an instructor, whether for a specific class on a topic of their choice they feel they have insight into, or just as a coach to help give input to those looking to improve, just @ me in thread at any time. I may look at recording to post lessons done by these instructors on Youtube for future reference as an ICYMI. That all depends though.

No commitments or confirmation of attendance necessary, and as I already run a public practice lobby for that nights race in that time slot regardless of attendance, so feel no pressure to stay long or attend, and if you just want to free practice that's fine too! Just ask to join party chat or ask questions in game chat if you wish to partake. The track will be that of the nights Gr3 race, unless we are between seasons at which time it will be tracks of the attendees choosing.

For that nights track list (on Gr3 race nights): https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gr-3-driver-hub.390304/

Track guides by ARL (playlist):

Advice from the Pros:

Last edited:
I'm not much of a talker, but I like doing what I can to help ARL drivers, since I also received a lot of assistance from the vets of this league. I'll be sure to stop by when I'm available @SydViscus.

Awesome man that'd be great, you certainly helped me a bunch recently with the feedback you gave me, it'd be awesome to have you out!! :cheers::cheers:

Whats the worst thing that could happen? Im often running laps pre-race anyway - any tips would be appreciated- @SydViscus you had once forwarded me some you-tube stuff - this may be a good forum to post that kind of thing as well?

Good thinking, I can put that stuff in the first post!! Would be great to have you out, even though you being quicker could become an issue for the pain train :lol::lol:

Maybe I missed it somewhere but will this be run on the same track as the Saturday night GR.3 race ?

Yes, you are welcome to run laps and not participate in the training, or join the party/ask questions in chat to participate in training, but the track will be that nights Gr3 track so if there's any course specific questions its easier, good question though I will specify in post #1 :cheers::cheers:

Yes, you are welcome to run laps and not participate in the training, or join the party/ask questions in chat to participate in training, but the track will be that nights Gr3 track so if there's any course specific questions its easier, good question though I will specify in post #1 :cheers::cheers:
Wil we using GR.3 vehicles?

Thanks

I'll have my mic next time. Sorry about that.

No worries man, even on lobby chat you are a great resource for anyone here, and I REALLY appreciate you taking the time. If you want too, you could share the same three lap program and I could commentary it to make a BG/syd narrated track guide to post before each weekend, but thats your call 100%.

Thanks again.

Also thats a massive mic drop moment in the gr3 thread and couldnt have said it better. Another thank you !! lol

Great turnout and conversations tonight! Hope this can be a useful tool for drivers moving forward.

Special thanks goes to @BGCaligula and @Stryker13 for giving us some gold driver input, your feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Also its a fun group to hang out with and talk some racing :cheers::cheers:
Yes! Info alway ls appreciated - now if we could just get you fellas to (accurately) predict lottery numbers too we’d be all set!

No worries man, even on lobby chat you are a great resource for anyone here, and I REALLY appreciate you taking the time. If you want too, you could share the same three lap program and I could commentary it to make a BG/syd narrated track guide to post before each weekend, but thats your call 100%.

Thanks again.

Also thats a massive mic drop moment in the gr3 thread and couldnt have said it better. Another thank you !! lol
Sure man. I can't really commit to it every week, but when I have some time to do it I will.

And about the Gr3 thread, we don't need that type of mentality around here. He is quick, but has the Daily Race B mentality. Worse actually. That's not how we race here. Instead of improving his race craft and adapting, he quits, but I ain't mad at all.

alrighty @SydViscus (and @BGCaligula and anyone else that could chime in)... you may rue the day you offered to help out...but here we go. Some comments, a discovery and some topics for discussion.

Comments - again thanks for the couple tips last night. the chatter earlier in the evening was great with some general information - but what i found real value in was when BG watching me and critiqued (sp?). I for one am not too proud (or shy as you've probably guessed) to have someone talk me around the course....even though BG only had a couple comments for me, was helpful for sure. (if nothing else i realized someone was watching and that made me focus more as well). So valuable for sure.

Discovery and perhaps a tip for others - don't want to be a prude but i also found 'muting' the chat during the race was helpful (first time I've done that). yes i enjoy the ongoing joking and smack talk to be a riot, but can at times be detrimental for someone like myself that needs to pay attention. I'd have the mic on at the start (normally when we're getting organized to get the race going etc.) then mute my mic and the chat during the race. I'll perhaps leave the mic off going forward - until the 'after race shenanigans' that often happen.

Ok here we go, questions. Some of these I think may actually warrant a thread on their own...

trail braking - I kind of know what it is...keeps the car settled, etc but any further info would be great, right down to when and how. perhaps i'll search you tube and share what i find too.

coasting - you watch any of the fast guys, there's a whole lot of coasting going on through the corners, something i just literally started experimenting with this past week. I 'get' it but am not real proficient yet of course. tips?

brake balance - this i have done a little research on, from what I've read, a FR car brake balance would be towards the back, MR towards the front, FF and AWD almost all the way to the back. Also affects tire wear - if my rears are wearing too quickly then move the BB a notch to the front? Do i have all of this correct? Of course everyone will be different on how you want the car to handle but do i have the basics?

one stop or two - strategy, how to decide. Last night (other than a foray off the curbing with cold RM tires) Aeden largely beat me because he pitted 1x and i pitted 2x. (ok there was other reasons, but that would be the biggest). I'm not clear on how to figure out whether to pit 1x or 2x. Hypothetically, if my speed on RS is 1 sec per lap faster than RM.....but it takes 23 seconds for pit time, plus another few to get down the straight and back up to speed, so lets call it 25 seconds total pit (would that be the correct way to calculate 'total pit time'?)....then i have to make sure that if i stick with 2x pit strategy that i can make up the 25 second extra investment in less than 25 laps? (25 pit time to pit for softs but am 1 second per lap faster)? Am i even close? I may just have confused myself just writing this....

and a GTsport question.....can you adjust how much fuel you start the race with? if so how? I've looked and couldn't find...

I realize there is lots on you tube on all of this I'm sure, and I've decided to take on researching more on my own, but 'real' input on this from the guys i race with would be much appreciated as well.

see you on the track. and many thanks from anyone that has input on any of this.

:D

Last edited:
alrighty @SydViscus (and @BGCaligula and anyone else that could chime in)... you may rue the day you offered to help out...but here we go. Some comments, a discovery and some topics for discussion.

Comments - again thanks for the couple tips last night. the chatter earlier in the evening was great with some general information - but what i found real value in was when BG watching me and critiqued (sp?). I for one am not too proud (or shy as you've probably guessed) to have someone talk me around the course....even though BG only had a couple comments for me, was helpful for sure. (if nothing else i realized someone was watching and that made me focus more as well). So valuable for sure.

Discovery and perhaps a tip for others - don't want to be a prude but i also found 'muting' the chat during the race was helpful (first time I've done that). yes i enjoy the ongoing joking and smack talk to be a riot, but can at times be detrimental for someone like myself that needs to pay attention. I'd have the mic on at the start (normally when we're getting organized to get the race going etc.) then mute my mic and the chat during the race. I'll perhaps leave the mic off going forward - until the 'after race shenanigans' that often happen.

Ok here we go, questions. Some of these I think may actually warrant a thread on their own...

trail braking - I kind of know what it is...keeps the car settled, etc but any further info would be great, right down to when and how. perhaps i'll search you tube and share what i find too.

coasting - you watch any of the fast guys, there's a whole lot of coasting going on through the corners, something i just literally started experimenting with this past week. I 'get' it but am not real proficient yet of course. tips?

brake balance - this i have done a little research on, from what I've read, a FR car brake balance would be towards the back, MR towards the front, FF and AWD almost all the way to the back. Also affects tire wear - if my rears are wearing too quickly then move the BB a notch to the front? Do i have all of this correct? Of course everyone will be different on how you want the car to handle but do i have the basics?

one stop or two - strategy, how to decide. Last night (other than a foray off the curbing with cold RM tires) Aeden largely beat me because he pitted 1x and i pitted 2x. (ok there was other reasons, but that would be the biggest). I'm not clear on how to figure out whether to pit 1x or 2x. Hypothetically, if my speed on RS is 1 sec per lap faster than RM.....but it takes 23 seconds for pit time, plus another few to get down the straight and back up to speed, so lets call it 25 seconds total pit (would that be the correct way to calculate 'total pit time'?)....then i have to make sure that if i stick with 2x pit strategy that i can make up the 25 second extra investment in less than 25 laps? (25 pit time to pit for softs but am 1 second per lap faster)? Am i even close? I may just have confused myself just writing this....

and a GTsport question.....can you adjust how much fuel you start the race with? if so how? I've looked and couldn't find...

I realize there is lots on you tube on all of this I'm sure, and I've decided to take on researching more on my own, but 'real' input on this from the guys i race with would be much appreciated as well.

see you on the track. and many thanks from anyone that has input on any of this.

Driver61 on youtube has some nice info/tutorial on trailbraking...and many other fundamental stuff as well

Quick answer for fuel start is that it can only he set by the server host to my knowledge.

I do a two stop because my pace on mediums is not that quick so I need my last stint to be on softs and at full go instead of safe race pace. Plus, it depends on the car and driver. The Viper gets great gas mileage so it could technically do a 1 stop and be fine.

I can dive into the other questions and add my input when I am at home near a computard. It's a lot to type on a phone. Lol

Tidgney also has a multipart series that covers many aspects of racing including trailbraking, mental prep, brake bais and other neat stuff

Quick answer for fuel start is that it can only he set by the server host to my knowledge.

I do a two stop because my pace on mediums is not that quick so I need my last stint to be on softs and at full go instead of safe race pace. Plus, it depends on the car and driver. The Viper gets great gas mileage so it could technically do a 1 stop and be fine.

I can dive into the other questions and add my input when I am at home near a computard. It's a lot to type on a phone. Lol
Oh i know ive laid a lot out on here - lol! No worries if and when you have time.

As a few have mentioned, there are various reliable sources that provide solid info on this. Tidgney is a really good one. This series answers most of your questions.

Coasting is done for a few reasons. I'll coast into a breaking zone to save fuel, or while in the slipstream to avoid accidentally punting someone because of the speed gain in draft. Most importantly to get maximum rotation while turning. If you're half throttle while applying 100% rotation for example, you're giving your tires two tasks and so you're effectively turning 50% and accelerating 50%. Coasting ensures that your tires are being utilized 100% to rotation of the car.

Strategy is a bit more complicated. There usually is a "best" one, but it depends heavily on your overall pace and fuel and tire saving abilities. Your math isn't wrong, but you also need to consider that the opponent on a longer stint will run a slower lap average and have a longer stop. So yes, you will have time to make up, but it will be less than your actual pit time because of their slower average. I hope you get what I'm trying to say lol.

Take a look at the series though. It contains very good information.

Back