ARL Driver Training and Information Saturdays

• Thread starter SydViscus
  • 162 comments
@BPeacock2727

Braking- There are 3 main braking methods:

Threshold Braking: The most common approach, applying full brake pressure for the minimum amount of time, before releasing the brake and driving through the corner.

Cadence Braking: Applying and removing brake pressure multiple times on corner approach, most useful with cold tires but can be a good method in tight battles as well.

Trail Braking: Applying continued minimum brake pressure while entering and sometimes through the corner, best for prolonged corners or corners with little to no brake pressure needed.

Each of these has strengths and weaknesses, none are absolutely "correct" and its about finding your best way around a corner depending on driving style, preference, and track/corner characteristics.

A great video here:

Coasting- The coast can be a useful tool for a variety of situations depending on what you need. Need to save fuel? Coast on entry. Need to move through a corner at a good minimum speed when you cant get on the gas too early? Coast through. In a close battle approaching a corner and looking for that late braking advantage? Coast into the braking zone. You never want to coast without reason as by definition you are not accelerating and this losing potential time, but when used strategically or based on requirement its a great tool to have.

Brake Bias- Honestly mostly feel, this is something I tend to test first in preparation, although personally I will occasionally sacrifice feel for tire wear as controller is tough to manage rubber on, so on a high wear circuit I want to mitigate that by not going excessive front or rear. There are definitely "rules of thumb" with regards to engine placement and F or R wheel drives, but I'd still implore anyone practicing to change it a bunch early in practice to find their own comfortable setting.

Strategy-
This, also, is mostly a matter of personal approach but you can really go down a rabbit hole here depending on how much mental gymnastics you are willing to do. Put simply, does a pit for fuel and tire outweigh the lost time of fuel and tire saving? Easiest way is to take an average pace and compare it to a standard pit time loss.

If you want to go nuts:

What is pace on each tire, new and old? how long can you make them last? what is fuel burn like and what is the best pace you can achieve with and without fuel saving? Pit stop time loss, with and without fuel, with and without tire, and with both? Compare all the variables and plug the maths in to find where you want be, to see if the extra stop exceeds the pace of doing the one stop.

Great info here:

Ask a long question I'll give you the long answer, that's why I'm here :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
As a few have mentioned, there are various reliable sources that provide solid info on this. Tidgney is a really good one. This series answers most of your questions.

Coasting is done for a few reasons. I'll coast into a breaking zone to save fuel, or while in the slipstream to avoid accidentally punting someone because of the speed gain in draft. Most importantly to get maximum rotation while turning. If you're half throttle while applying 100% rotation for example, you're giving your tires two tasks and so you're effectively turning 50% and accelerating 50%. Coasting ensures that your tires are being utilized 100% to rotation of the car.

Strategy is a bit more complicated. There usually is a "best" one, but it depends heavily on your overall pace and fuel and tire saving abilities. Your math isn't wrong, but you also need to consider that the opponent on a longer stint will run a slower lap average and have a longer stop. So yes, you will have time to make up, but it will be less than your actual pit time because of their slower average. I hope you get what I'm trying to say lol.

Take a look at the series though. It contains very good information.

Thanks for the video link - my homework for tomorrow night - looks like his agenda does cover alot of my questions - and may create more - also thanks for the coasting and strategy points - i figured if nothing else just creating some chatter around these would be beneficial :bowdown:

@BPeacock2727

Braking- There are 3 main braking methods:

Threshold Braking: The most common approach, applying full brake pressure for the minimum amount of time, before releasing the brake and driving through the corner.

Cadence Braking: Applying and removing brake pressure multiple times on corner approach, most useful with cold tires but can be a good method in tight battles as well.

Trail Braking: Applying continued minimum brake pressure while entering and sometimes through the corner, best for prolonged corners or corners with little to no brake pressure needed.

Each of these has strengths and weaknesses, none are absolutely "correct" and its about finding your best way around a corner depending on driving style, preference, and track/corner characteristics.

A great video here:

Coasting- The coast can be a useful tool for a variety of situations depending on what you need. Need to save fuel? Coast on entry. Need to move through a corner at a good minimum speed when you cant get on the gas too early? Coast through. In a close battle approaching a corner and looking for that late braking advantage? Coast into the braking zone. You never want to coast without reason as by definition you are not accelerating and this losing potential time, but when used strategically or based on requirement its a great tool to have.

Brake Bias- Honestly mostly feel, this is something I tend to test first in preparation, although personally I will occasionally sacrifice feel for tire wear as controller is tough to manage rubber on, so on a high wear circuit I want to mitigate that by not going excessive front or rear. There are definitely "rules of thumb" with regards to engine placement and F or R wheel drives, but I'd still implore anyone practicing to change it a bunch early in practice to find their own comfortable setting.

Strategy-
This, also, is mostly a matter of personal approach but you can really go down a rabbit hole here depending on how much mental gymnastics you are willing to do. Put simply, does a pit for fuel and tire outweigh the lost time of fuel and tire saving? Easiest way is to take an average pace and compare it to a standard pit time loss.

If you want to go nuts:

What is pace on each tire, new and old? how long can you make them last? what is fuel burn like and what is the best pace you can achieve with and without fuel saving? Pit stop time loss, with and without fuel, with and without tire, and with both? Compare all the variables and plug the maths in to find where you want be, to see if the extra stop exceeds the pace of doing the one stop.

Great info here:

Ask a long question I'll give you the long answer, that's why I'm here :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thank you sir! Chatter is good and more vids for tomorrow night too! :bowdown: Good definitions around braking and coasting etc ;)

I know skipping class is the quickest way to poor performance, but I'm unavailable until the weekend. I'm hoping to make it next week.
And thanks to @BPeacock2727 for starting the "I need to get better" question and answer. And thanks to all for answering that long winded question.

Been watching quite a bit of tidgney vids. Some good info there for sure. An investment in time (some sections are 45min long) but as you indicated- worthwhile. Thx
A small investment in time to get better and ultimately enjoy this hobby even more is worth it. You get out what you put in.
Glad to help in any way i can. Just sharing some of the things that helped me as well. Im not the fastest by a long shot but i have improved immensely from where i started when i bought this game

A small investment in time to get better and ultimately enjoy this hobby even more is worth it. You get out what you put in.
Glad to help in any way i can. Just sharing some of the things that helped me as well. Im not the fastest by a long shot but i have improved immensely from where i started when i bought this game
Part if my issue is patience. (Or lack of) im not talking about on the track - i mean my learning curve. Ive had gt sport for a couple years and had 1, 5, and 6 before that. I guess i spent too much time doing the dailies and the challenges, while fun at the start became frustrating as we all know. Am just leaning now that my skill level really never went anywhere. Doing the ‘dailies’.

I’m a huge motorsports fan and love the game (ie i even bought a wheel and built a rig a couple yrs ago) - wasn't even aware if leagues such as this even existed until last feb - (at a daytona party and ended up talking to a snail member). So my ‘racing career’ really only started then.

My skill (some of you may find this hard to beleive) has certainly increased since joining snail almost a year ago then moving over to arl this past summer (mainly due to scheduling- snail’s a great league too).

i have to realize my skill development only really started relatively recently - and therefore running at the back to mid pack is where i should be at this point. Ive had some great races back there.

anyway not even really sure why i started this rant. I guess just to convince myself that im still learning - and thats ok.

dedicating more time than ever now to learning (you tube and input from you guys) and practicing and still loving it. Id rather watch a good video on youtube on racing skills or fire up gts and run laps than watch a sitcom on tv and often do now.

enjoy your sunday peeps.

Last edited:
Part if my issue is patience. (Or lack of) im not talking about on the track - i mean my learning curve. Ive had gt sport for a couple years and had 1, 5, and 6 before that. I guess i spent too much time doing the dailies and the challenges, while fun at the start became frustrating as we all know. Am just leaning now that my skill level really never went anywhere. Doing the ‘dailies’.

I’m a huge motorsports fan and love the game (ie i even bought a wheel and built a rig a couple yrs ago) - wasn't even aware if leagues such as this even existed until last feb - (at a daytona party and ended up talking to a snail member). So my ‘racing career’ really only started then.

My skill (some of you may find this hard to beleive) has certainly increased since joining snail almost a year ago then moving over to arl this past summer (mainly due to scheduling- snail’s a great league too).

i have to realize my skill development only really started relatively recently - and therefore running at the back to mid pack is where i should be at this point. Ive had some great races back there.

anyway not even really sure why i started this rant. I guess just to convince myself that im still learning - and thats ok.

dedicating more time than ever now to learning (you tube and input from you guys) and practicing and still loving it. Id rather watch a good video on youtube on racing skills or fire up gts and run laps than watch a sitcom on tv and often do now.

enjoy your sunday peeps.

I'm very much in the same boat...impatient with my skills progress, but I have my wife to remind me that anything difficult takes time to get better at. As soon as I'm back home I'll be doing my homework again. My goal recently is consistency, but it's hard when I'm on the track and it seems everyone is faster than me. And yes there can be good battles throughout the field.

enjoy your sunday peeps.
I totally understand what you mean. I think the most time consuming part of "learning new techniques" is not actually learning them, but breaking bad habits that have more or less ingrained themselves into muscle memory and getting the good techniques and habits to replace the bad ones. I still have issues with some bad habits (not looking far enough ahead and some of the finer details of trailbraking, and when to and not to trailbrake). Most, if not all of these things i know, its the doing on a consistent basis that troubles me the most. Im sure there is plenty i can still learn that i dont yet know, but I have to keep reminding myself to try and overcome bad muscle memory and replace them with the good habits first. Thats why it seems (in my own head) that i have plateaued (or peaked) with my abilities, but in reality i just need to refine the abilities i have so they become better, then i can learn more tricks to become faster...at least that what i keep telling myself.

Keep cracking and im sure you will get where you want to be.

I totally understand what you mean. I think the most time consuming part of "learning new techniques" is not actually learning them, but breaking bad habits that have more or less ingrained themselves into muscle memory and getting the good techniques and habits to replace the bad ones. I still have issues with some bad habits (not looking far enough ahead and some of the finer details of trailbraking, and when to and not to trailbrake). Most, if not all of these things i know, its the doing on a consistent basis that troubles me the most. Im sure there is plenty i can still learn that i dont yet know, but I have to keep reminding myself to try and overcome bad muscle memory and replace them with the good habits first. Thats why it seems (in my own head) that i have plateaued (or peaked) with my abilities, but in reality i just need to refine the abilities i have so they become better, then i can learn more tricks to become faster...at least that what i keep telling myself.

Keep cracking and im sure you will get where you want to be.

No looking far enough ahead and allowing your mind to process your peripherals quickly is the two ones that get everybody. Myself included still to this day.

It is not that it happens often but it is a habit we all get into from time to time. Hell, I took my teammate out last night because I was too focused on him directly in front of me instead of allowing my focus to take in all the information on the screen rather than just him.

Here is a track guide for reference for this Saturday:

Thanks to @BGCaligula for helping put this together!

Thats a quality peice if work @BGCaligula and @SydViscus! Very helpful. I like that this came out earlier in the week. Gives me time to work on things. The ‘last minute’ tips before the race are good but this is better. Thanks much.

by the way www.arlsimracing.com - is that the correct website you quote at the end? - website not working.....noticed a couple weeks ago - forgot to mention....

Thats a quality peice if work @BGCaligula and @SydViscus! Very helpful. I like that this came out earlier in the week. Gives me time to work on things. The ‘last minute’ tips before the race are good but this is better. Thanks much.

by the way www.arlsimracing.com - is that the correct website you quote at the end? - website not working.....noticed a couple weeks ago - forgot to mention....

Looks like the domain name lapsed. I'll have it corrected this evening. Thanks for spotting it!

Here is a track guide for reference for this Saturday:

Thanks to @BGCaligula for helping put this together!

Can you really abuse track limits so much at the 1st main straight? The track guide was really helpful, I was going too wide on most corners. I still haven't fully scoped out my braking points, will do that on my own to get a better feel for the track.

Can you really abuse track limits so much at the 1st main straight? The track guide was really helpful, I was going too wide on most corners. I still haven't fully scoped out my braking points, will do that on my own to get a better feel for the track.

You are allowed to use all the track, if you start accumulating penalties maybe dial it back but use the maximum the rules allow :cheers::cheers:

Glad you found it helpful, thats our goal :cheers:

As for running wide and braking points, think slow in fast out, you can enter slightly slower as long as you exit well.

If you "cowboy" every corner you will end up hurting, especially with TCS off. Just focus on nailing that apex and getting the power down early.

Glad you found it helpful, thats our goal :cheers:

As for running wide and braking points, think slow in fast out, you can enter slightly slower as long as you exit well.

If you "cowboy" every corner you will end up hurting, especially with TCS off. Just focus on nailing that apex and getting the power down early.
Something that I have only now found out is I can be much faster without TCS on slow corners, which are a big weakness of mine, by stomping the throttle a bit mid corner to get the car rotated by drifting a bit.

Yes, you can. There are some corners that can be absolutely abused on exit. You just need to identify which you can do it on. I watched the GT3 GTWC Europe1000K at Paul Ricard last weekend and there was a particular corner that reminded me so much of this one. Those guys were allowed to use the runoff as though it was originally a part of the track, but got track limit warnings for other corners. Kinda the same here I guess.

Last edited:
Just throwing a poll out there - driver view - I've always used the bumper view (just see the speedo and tach etc) because it has a decent rear view mirror. Some of the you tube vids ive been watching the guys are using the roof cam (see hood and front fenders but no rear view - perhaps they’re just using that view for the video - unsure) what view are most using and why?

Back