ARL Driver Training and Information Saturdays

• Thread starter SydViscus
  • 162 comments
Just throwing a poll out there - driver view - I've always used the bumper view (just see the speedo and tach etc) because it has a decent rear view mirror. Some of the you tube vids ive been watching the guys are using the roof cam (see hood and front fenders but no rear view - perhaps they’re just using that view for the video - unsure) what view are most using and why?
Hood view (most of the time)

For the supergt series i use in car for the rear view mirror so i can see when the rockets are about to pass so i dont have to stare at the map in the corner....bumper doesnt allow me enough distance to see in front of me

Hood view (most of the time)

For the supergt series i use in car for the rear view mirror so i can see when the rockets are about to pass so i dont have to stare at the map in the corner....bumper doesnt allow me enough distance to see in front of me
Ok I wasn’t sure if I was seeing things - it seems you can see further down the track with hood cam....

I tend to use the hood cam most of the time, it allows me to better judge the distance between myself and those in front of me. Sometimes I will use the in-car cam as I value the realism that it offers. Rarely will I use the bumper cam, only if the in-car camera offers little visibility and the hood cam is at a bad angle. I never use the trailing camera.

Last edited:
Just throwing a poll out there - driver view - I've always used the bumper view (just see the speedo and tach etc) because it has a decent rear view mirror. Some of the you tube vids ive been watching the guys are using the roof cam (see hood and front fenders but no rear view - perhaps they’re just using that view for the video - unsure) what view are most using and why?

Bumper cam is my go-to because of the rear view mirror, but when following a car real close I kinda have to look through their back window and hope they don't go off-roading as I'll go with them :D

I'll probably just stick around to help people out with whatever, I think @BGCaligula or @Herimopp89 can vouch for me. Although the Gr.3 races are a bit too late in the day for me so I probably can't make those.
Oh definitely. This guy's pace is next level, with knowledge to match. Hell, I might join this session as a student and see if he's got any pointers for me.

I'll probably just stick around to help people out with whatever, I think @BGCaligula or @Herimopp89 can vouch for me. Although the Gr.3 races are a bit too late in the day for me so I probably can't make those.

That's awesome man, no issues with not sticking around for the race, just wasn't sure if you were perhaps new to the league and wanted to make sure, it would be awesome to have you!! :cheers::cheers:

Thanks so much for reaching out and you are welcome to come any time you wish!

Last night, I noticed my ABS setting is different than most. I'm on Default. What is the difference between default and weak? In GT3, 4, 5 & 6 they had ABS off, then 1 thru 10...I ran a 1...the least amount I could while still having it on. I'm guessing I should try Weak as I might be losing some feel and/or control. What are y'alls thoughts?

Ok...I feel like an idiot!

So I just put it on Weak and my turn in and mid-corner flex is SO much better. That brief moment when you let go of the brake and the nose bites in...yeah, that movement is amplified. So, now I'm faster mid corner, but I feel like I need to relearn my driving style...I'm a hair slower per lap now. I'll get it dialed in...might take some time, but this feels like a good thing. Trailbraking is a little harder too, but my straight line braking is better. (Was testing a stock Gt4)

I guess trial by fire tonight in the GT3's!!

Ok...I feel like an idiot!

So I just put it on Weak and my turn in and mid-corner flex is SO much better. That brief moment when you let go of the brake and the nose bites in...yeah, that movement is amplified. So, now I'm faster mid corner, but I feel like I need to relearn my driving style...I'm a hair slower per lap now. I'll get it dialed in...might take some time, but this feels like a good thing. Trailbraking is a little harder too, but my straight line braking is better. (Was testing a stock Gt4)

I guess trial by fire tonight in the GT3's!!

Yup that sounds about right. It's amazing what you as a driver can achieve when you start taking off the aids. No abs is the best if you have a good set of pedals that actually give you some feeling. I do not, so I use weak setting and modulate my foot by "feel" and memory.

In real world racing the majority of the time race cars have no abs at all. Or the ones that do have it programed to work as if it doesn't have abs but kicks in at a certain brake pressure or something like that. It's kind of interesting how it works.

Rally cars on the other hand have no abs. Abs is dangerous on loose surfaces.

Weak ABS is a good practice for trail braking cause you can feel the limit when the brakes start locking but once you get the feel for modulating the brakes those techniques transfer quite well into default setting for more effective braking. ABS in GT has always felt exploitable with good enough technique.

Default setting just doesn't allow for any lock so when you do carry a bit too much brake while steering into the corners it just cuts braking power so it ends up feeling like the brakes stop working and you end up going deep into entry.

Last edited:
Yup that sounds about right. It's amazing what you as a driver can achieve when you start taking off the aids. No abs is the best if you have a good set of pedals that actually give you some feeling. I do not, so I use weak setting and modulate my foot by "feel" and memory.

In real world racing the majority of the time race cars have no abs at all. Or the ones that do have it programed to work as if it doesn't have abs but kicks in at a certain brake pressure or something like that. It's kind of interesting how it works.

Rally cars on the other hand have no abs. Abs is dangerous on loose surfaces.
I don't like the No ABS setting in GT Sport. It seems like the wheels lock up way too easy. In the previous GT games, I typically always used the 0 ABS setting and never had nearly as much trouble locking up as I do in GT Sport. I like to use a Weak setting, but certain cars tend to get too squirrelly so I often switch to Default.

Last edited:
Might stop by for a bit this evening depending what is running. Track I don’t mind so much I just am trying to test the feel of a bunch of different gr. 3’s for the new season

Might stop by for a bit this evening depending what is running. Track I don’t mind so much I just am trying to test the feel of a bunch of different gr. 3’s for the new season

Wicked, we will definitely start on gr3's and I have some preliminary track picks for the upcoming season we can run

Back