ARL NASCAR Fantasy League 2021

United States
Charlotte, NC
NASCAR FANTASY LIVE 2021

The 2021 season of the NASCAR Cup Series begins Sunday, February 14 with the 63rd Annual running of the Daytona 500!

I will be hosting an ARL fantasy league through the official NASCAR Fantasy Live game. You can access this for free through the official NASCAR app OR through the NASCAR website. Instructions to join are as follows:
  • Go to: www.nascar.com OR download the official NASCAR app through your mobile device.
  • Create a username and password
  • Build your profile
  • You will eventually be prompted to "join a league" where there are two options: public or private.
  • ARL will be a private league
  • How to join:
    • League name: Reflex Sim Racing
    • Motto: Daytona 24 Champions
    • Password: reflex
  • You should see my name "NASCARNATE_91" in the roster to confirm.
  • READ THE "HOW TO PLAY" RULES

Last edited:
Answer: February 09, 2020 @ 12:30PM EST

Why is this important?

Fantasy Live gives out 5 bonus points each week to the driver that earns the pole for that race. (Busch Pole Award) You must get your bonus pick in before the start of qualifying that week. Bonus picks DO NOT carry over from week to week. Qualifying is typically the Friday before the race but can vary slightly from week to week. In the case for Daytona, qualifying is a week before the race. Remember to keep up with the schedule and check in with practice so you don't miss out on those bonus points!

Going forward, I'm going to try to do this everyday with either questions about game rules or just general trivia. Stay tuned, I hope to see everybody participate and get signed up with ARL NASCAR Fantasy Live!

Answer: Johnny Beauchamp

The inaugural Daytona 500 in 1959 resulted in a three wide photo finish between Johnny Beauchamp, Lee petty, and Joe Weatherly. With Weatherly being two laps down, the victory would be between Beauchamp and Petty. Beauchamp was initially declared the winner and went to victory lane. Three days later, officials reviewed the photo finish and it was determined that Petty was the official winner of the race.

https://speedsport.com/racing-history/remembering-daytonas-first-photo-finish/

haha, i had fantasy teams already setup from a while ago, made it really confusing going to sign up.... its pretty cool you can have up to 5 teams going though. hopefully i can keep up and do a whole season of fantasy racing!

haha, i had fantasy teams already setup from a while ago, made it really confusing going to sign up.... its pretty cool you can have up to 5 teams going though. hopefully i can keep up and do a whole season of fantasy racing!

I see we've had a few guys sign up already which is awesome to see!

You bring up a good point with multiple entries. Lets keep the entries to 1 per person in our league just to keep it simple.

Also, it would be preferred to use your gtplanet or PSN as your entry name, but not required. If it is different, just post in the thread what your name is so we all know who we're dealing with.

REMINDER

Read the first post and answer the question of the day!

Answer: The beach

Although technically it was half beach, half highway. Land speed and stock car racing was held here as early as the 1920's up to the final NASCAR race in 1958. Race promoters would often leave races early with the winners money which prompted the birth of NASCAR as a way to standardize. NASCAR left the beach and started racing at the new Daytona International Speedway in 1959.

https://timeline.com/photos-the-first-nascar-races-were-literally-on-daytona-beach-93559bfa9c98

^^^^Some great photos in here^^^^

For those that ever find themselves in Florida, there's a historic restaurant called "Racing's North Turn Beach Bar and Grille" that sits at the location of the original "north turn" of the track. I've been there myself and I can say it's a great place that I recommend going to provided the opportunity. The place is packed with tons of historic racing stuff and its fun to imagine old race cars hauling down the beach while chowing down a cheeseburger.

http://www.racingsnorthturn.com/site/history/

^^^^Restaurant information^^^^

NASCAR FANTASY LIVE 2020

The 2020 season of the NASCAR Cup Series begins Sunday, February 16 with the 62nd Annual running of the Daytona 500!

I will be hosting an ARL fantasy league through the official NASCAR Fantasy Live game. You can access this for free through the official NASCAR app OR through the NASCAR website. Instructions to join are as follows:
  • Go to: www.nascar.com OR download the official NASCAR app through your mobile device.
  • Create a username and password
  • Build your profile
  • You will eventually be prompted to "join a league" where there are two options: public or private.
  • ARL will be a private league
  • How to join:
    • League name: American Racing League (ARL)
    • Motto: Closer Than You Think
    • Password: arl2020
  • You should see my name "NASCARNATE_91" in the roster to confirm.
  • READ THE "HOW TO PLAY" RULES

Question of the day: What activity birthed the idea of stock car racing?

A: Getting groceries
B: Going to church
C: Going to school
D: Prohibition bootlegging
D

Answer: Prohibition bootlegging

Back in the days of prohibition when @Nick Cannella was making spreadsheets with pencil and paper, bootleggin' was big business. Rum runners needed cars that could out run the law without looking too suspicious. They would take ordinary looking stock cars and modify them to go faster, handle better, and haul more moonshine. Naturally, @Nick Cannella and the boys got together and started racing each other. It eventually got so popular that a man named Bill France organized the sport into the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing.

There's much debate among car enthusiasts about what "stock car racing" is. You often read in the comments, "why is it called NASCAR if it's not even a stock car?!?!?" blah blah blah. Maybe this shed some light if you're one of those. Stock car racing was never really stock to begin with. They were only meant to appear stock. The modern translation for this will probably always be under scrutiny.

The Next Gen car will be interesting. The goal is to "put the stock back in stock racing", which they aim to do mainly with the powertrain. It has sort of become opposite of the original formula. However, I agree that it will be the right move to bring the sport into 2020. I expect to see some sort of merge with IMSA, but that's just me speculating.

http://prohibition.themobmuseum.org/the-history/prohibition-potpourri/nascar-and-prohibition/

^^^Good short read^^^

Sorry Nick :cheers:

Answer: Prohibition bootlegging

Back in the days of prohibition when @Nick Cannella was making spreadsheets with pencil and paper, bootleggin' was big business. Rum runners needed cars that could out run the law without looking too suspicious. They would take ordinary looking stock cars and modify them to go faster, handle better, and haul more moonshine. Naturally, @Nick Cannella and the boys got together and started racing each other. It eventually got so popular that a man named Bill France organized the sport into the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing.

There's much debate among car enthusiasts about what "stock car racing" is. You often read in the comments, "why is it called NASCAR if it's not even a stock car?!?!?" blah blah blah. Maybe this shed some light if you're one of those. Stock car racing was never really stock to begin with. They were only meant to appear stock. The modern translation for this will probably always be under scrutiny.

The Next Gen car will be interesting. The goal is to "put the stock back in stock racing", which they aim to do mainly with the powertrain. It has sort of become opposite of the original formula. However, I agree that it will be the right move to bring the sport into 2020. I expect to see some sort of merge with IMSA, but that's just me speculating.

http://prohibition.themobmuseum.org/the-history/prohibition-potpourri/nascar-and-prohibition/

^^^Good short read^^^

Sorry Nick :cheers:
This was outstanding!

Back