Art Morrison 1960 Corvette

Hi- First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Craig Morrison and I am one of the co-builders of the Art Morrison Ent 1960 Corvette. I've had a chance to read some of the comments about our car, and I am glad you guys like driving it!

I wanted to share with the forum some of the build up pics to show what it takes to put together a car like this. It was a lot of work - around 3200 man hours to build the car, but it is a great honor to see so many people driving and enjoying our personal project!

Jalopnik did a great story on our car last year giving some details of the car build but also some information on the PD crew doing the scan on the car. There were six people that came from PD in Japan to do the scan, taking thousands of photos, video and then the full scan of the car, inside, underside and outside. Here's a link to the story; http://jalopnik.com/cars/feature/from-bucket-to-binary-morrison-corvette-scanned-into-gran-turismo-238136.php

On our own website we are posting the build pictures from start to finish. When we bought the car it was a "driver", but there was a lot of work to be done. Because of the damage to the front fenders we had to replace the entire body from the firewall forward. Anyway, here are the first 60 or so of the build pictures - http://www.artmorrison.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=3gbuild&page=1

Popular Hot Rodding Magazine also did a 4 part story on the build up and testing of the car- here's part 4 of the story;http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0802phr_project_3g_vette_part_4/index.html

As for the details of the car:
1960 Corvette
427" (7L) Small Block Chevy All aluminum 538hp 517Ft Lbs torque
Replacement Art Morrison chassis with C5 Corvette front suspension live axle rear
18" wheels front/rear with 265's front and 295's rear
14" 6-piston caliper brakes front with custom brake ducting
13" 4-piston caliper brakes rear with emergency brake
BMW 5-series headlights
S2000 starter button
Spa Technique shift light steering wheel
Custom carbon fiber gauge panel, grab bar, door panels and console
functional rool hoops

If you have any questions about the Art Morrison 1960 Corvette, please ask! Like I said it's a great honor for us to have our car in the GT5 Prologue and hope you enjoy driving it!

A very warm welcome to GTPlanet, Craig 👍

It's great that you've taken the time out to post here at GTP! I only just cranked up Prologue myself yesterday and got my first glimpse of your car in full 1080p glory, and I can't wait to get my paws on it.

You must be a proud man now that your car is in GT 👍

(this topic reminds me of the Nike car designer :D)

A very warm welcome to GTPlanet, Craig 👍

It's great that you've taken the time out to post here at GTP! I only just cranked up Prologue myself yesterday and got my first glimpse of your car in full 1080p glory, and I can't wait to get my paws on it.

+1000

A very warm welcome! Unlike our UK/JPN brothers over seas, some of us have to wait another week but can't wait to take your car around the track. How cool is that? :D

Some interesting things in that first story you linked to,

"They took video of me going through the gears, and the starting sequence of the car. Turning the wheel. Setting the e-brake. Pulling the hood release. Hi-beam Lo-beam. Everything." said Craig.

Makes one wonder if some of these things are to be incorporated into GT5 at some point? :)

Thanks for the info and welcome :)👍

Nice of you to drop in Craig. I can imagine it to be quite satisfying to have your work opened up to a whole new audience. With 1 million copies of GT5:P already sold in Europe alone, you can be sure the 'Art Morrison' name will soon become very well known the world over.

Wow, I didn't realize you guys were in Fife! I'm in Auburn right now (for work, live in Seattle).

Great work and congrats on the Vette! Welcome to GTplanet!

Your Vette is definately worthy to be seen by millions just in GT5:P.
It's one the most beautiful cars in Gt5:P.

It looks great in the game and even better on real photos.
I can't wait to get my hands on it...this evening! :D

GREAT WORK and thanks for building it! 👍

Hi Craig and welcome to GTPlanet.

I bought the Corvette just yesterday and I'm very impressed with it, I haven't raced it yet but I've drifted it and it is a fabulous car to drift.

As TheCracker said the Art Morrison name will be known the world over.

I'm hoping to see some really great cars coming out of the Art Morrison garage in the future.

Enjoy your time at GTPlanet

Congratulations on your success, Craig, and welcome to GTP! :cheers:

I'm going to assume you've driven a game-build of your car. How well do you think PD represented your car's driving characteristics?

Thanks for coming to GTPlanet Criag :)👍

You guys did an amazing job with that car and I love the way you added some subtle modern touches to such a classic design, I bet it was amazing to find out that the car would get digitalized and immortalized for ever in the GT series.

You can tell its one of models Polyphony have paid particular detail to as the realism is stunning! I haven't as yet got enough money to buy it in GT5P but I will eventually get there! :sly:

Anyway, thanks for all those build pics and enjoy your stay here :)

Robin

Wow, this makes me very happy to post here. Welcome to the board Craig, and thanks for the work you guys did on that beast.

Awesome can't wait to jump in,one week to go!! This wait is going to kill me. Congrats to you and good luck on future projects.

great to have you here, that car is cherry. i bet you guys pulled your hair lots building that car. how much was the build cost all together?

Fantastic, thanks for coming to gtplanet, the Art Morrison Chevrolet Corvette is one my favorites along with the Ferrari 512 and F40 in GT5P. Just love driving the Art Morrison around Eiger and watching the replays. Keep up the good work:tup:. Also how was the car chosen for Gran Turismo, did they just call you out of the blue. What TV shows has it appeared on? We get some American hotrod shows in the UK.
art5.jpg

art14.jpg

art1.jpg

Awesome to have you at the forums Craig! Love the Corvette! 👍
Also how was the car chosen for Gran Turismo, did they just call you out of the blue. What TV shows has it appeared on? We get some American hotrod shows in the UK.
It won the Gran Turismo award at Sema, didn't it?

Hi- First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Craig Morrison and I am one of the co-builders of the Art Morrison Ent 1960 Corvette. I've had a chance to read some of the comments about our car, and I am glad you guys like driving it!

Welcome to GTPlanet, Craig Morrison.

Enjoy your stay, and if you need any set-up tips for your own GT5:Prologue car, there's a number of experts here. ;)

Can't wait to drive it (that would require spare time and a PS3 first).

Welcome to GTP Craig!

I must agree to many others and say that it is one of the most beautiful cars in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, but I still need some more money before I can buy it (In the game of course)

I love the "Shift light" steering wheel and the xenon-lights (If that's what it is)

I would like to know if you guys are going to build more cars (which will eventually make it into the full GT5):)👍

A beautiful car, but really hard to drive (at least for me :) )
The only aesthetic problem with it is that you can't see the speed because the steering wheel blocks the view, other wise it looks (and definitely sounds) stunning.

Maybe a stupid question, but does the car have traction control or other driving aids built in?

Yes.

...the 1960 Corvette was completed just in time to take Best in Show at the 4th Annual Gran Turismo Awards ceremony at the 2006 Las Vegas show. As part of this achievement the Corvette would be forever immortalized in digital form in the upcoming Next Edition Gran Turismo...

http://jalopnik.com/cars/feature/fr...corvette-scanned-into-gran-turismo-238136.php

Ah sorry, will read it properly later. I just scanned through and missed that, thanks. Has there been any TV shows on it.

Hi Craig, I am very interested in Classic American cars & Hot Rods. The Vette was a car I bought in the game quite early on because I could not wait to drive it. It's a good car to drive & looks superb in the replays. I intend to test it in drift mode this evening!

I wanted to share with the forum some of the build up pics to show what it takes to put together a car like this. It was a lot of work - around 3200 man hours to build the car, but it is a great honor to see so many people driving and enjoying our personal project!

Jalopnik did a great story on our car last year giving some details of the car build but also some information on the PD crew doing the scan on the car. There were six people that came from PD in Japan to do the scan, taking thousands of photos, video and then the full scan of the car, inside, underside and outside. Here's a link to the story; http://jalopnik.com/cars/feature/from-bucket-to-binary-morrison-corvette-scanned-into-gran-turismo-238136.php

On our own website we are posting the build pictures from start to finish. When we bought the car it was a "driver", but there was a lot of work to be done. Because of the damage to the front fenders we had to replace the entire body from the firewall forward. Anyway, here are the first 60 or so of the build pictures - http://www.artmorrison.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=3gbuild&page=1

Popular Hot Rodding Magazine also did a 4 part story on the build up and testing of the car- here's part 4 of the story;http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0802phr_project_3g_vette_part_4/index.html

As for the details of the car:
1960 Corvette
427" (7L) Small Block Chevy All aluminum 538hp 517Ft Lbs torque
Replacement Art Morrison chassis with C5 Corvette front suspension live axle rear
18" wheels front/rear with 265's front and 295's rear
14" 6-piston caliper brakes front with custom brake ducting
13" 4-piston caliper brakes rear with emergency brake
BMW 5-series headlights
S2000 starter button
Spa Technique shift light steering wheel
Custom carbon fiber gauge panel, grab bar, door panels and console
functional rool hoops

If you have any questions about the Art Morrison 1960 Corvette, please ask! Like I said it's a great honor for us to have our car in the GT5 Prologue and hope you enjoy driving it!

Craig, so good to see you here.

Can you tell me what is the steering ratio for the vette? I wanted to dial it in myself, cause I am sure PD got it wrong.

Thanks for the warm welcome! The Corvette did win the "Best in Show" at the 2006 SEMA show in Las Vegas, Nevada. There are five different classes- best hot rod (which we won), best truck/SUV, best Japanese Import, best European Import and best domestic. Once the 5 are picked then Kaz looks at each of them and hand picks the "best in show". I've got pics of Kaz sitting in our car and checking it out - I'll have to post those on our site for you guys.

We had a 1955 Chevrolet that won "Best Hot Rod" back in 2004 (?) but lost out to the R32 VW that appeared in GT4. Here's a link to what that car looks like- http://www.artmorrison.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album04

As far as TV shows goes, it did appear on the Discovery Channel program titled "SEMA: world's greatest car show" and there is an interview with me talking about the car. UK shows- We have done a lot of chassis for Boyd Coddington (RIP) as well as Chip Foose and also have quite a few customers in the UK, Finland, Sweden, Germany, France, etc....... We actually have a customer in Holland that is currently building a 1960 Corvette with the same chassis.

Because we are a chassis mfg, we don't build a lot of cars in-house, but we do have a lot of top car builders around the US and the world that use our products in the cars that they are building. We do have a new project coming up and it is a 1953 Studebaker. It is going to be more of a retro grand touring car capable of covering long distances, comfortably and quickly. I am not sure if it would be good GT5 material, but here is what its going to look like:
stude2boyds-vi.jpg

At this year's SEMA show I was able to talk to Kazunori and thank him for picking our car. It was really cool, because he knew every little detail about our car and was asking really specific questions to make sure the game version matched the real thing, and I can tell you that they are identical. It was really impressive to see a guy who has that much going on be aware of the small details.

Thanks for posting the pics of the Eiger track. I was able to see that track a few years back at Sony party at SEMA, and it's cool to see our car on there!

Thanks for taking time to visit GTP Graig and another thanks for sharing some information on the car. I haven't driven it in GT5:P yet, I don't get through games as fast as some but still. I really like classic cars, British, American, German, you name it, I love older cars. I find them a lot more interesting in general than modern cars, though I'd never heared of your project before it was linked to GT5 it got my interest right away.

Hey and like Pupik said, if you need any tips on setting up your own car in the game ;).

I'm definitely not your man.

Craig, so good to see you here.

Can you tell me what is the steering ratio for the vette? I wanted to dial it in myself, cause I am sure PD got it wrong.

The ratio is 15:1 so that means it is roughly 2.5 turns lock-to-lock. On the high speed tracks like Daytona it is going to be a bit sensitive! In the real car with hands at 9 & 3 on the wheel - to turn a 90degree corner you need to turn the wheel where your hands are roughly 12 & 6. The turning radius is tight too - u turns on a 2 lane road aren't a problem and that's not even blipping the throttle to spin it around!

Back