Assassin's Creed the Movie: Crashed and Burned - dodged a bullet there and missed Razzie noms

• Thread starter JKgo
  • 113 comments
Teaser poster:

Assassin%27s_Creed_film_poster.jpg

What really inspires confidence in this film is the sheer amount of talent involved. Fassbender, Cotillard and Irons are all excellent actors, and while Justin Kurzel might not be the most experienced director, he did make Snowtown, which was pretty good for such a delicate topic.

I find it curious that we know nothing about Aguilar. I guess that the focus of the film will be on Lynch. Hopefully Aguilar will be more like Ezio and Shay Cormac than Connor Kenway or Jacob Frye.

I do like the new Animus, too. I suppose they had to have something more interesting than Fassbender lying on a table or sitting in a chair, so the arm manipulating him in sync with Aguilar's movements should work well. Looks like the bleeding effect will come into it as well. Maybe we'll get something along the lines of Clay Kaczmarek or Galina Voronina in future films.

I'm quite surprised that Assassins Creed gets a movie made when there are much bigger franchises that have never managed to get a film off the ground in their generation and the last, such as Halo.

I really wonder what made it appeal to the movie studios over many other choices. It's not a criticism it's just I'm genuinely surprised that something you thought would be more bankable would get made first.

I'm quite surprised that Assassins Creed gets a movie made when there are much bigger franchises that have never managed to get a film off the ground in their generation and the last, such as Halo.

I really wonder what made it appeal to the movie studios over many other choices. It's not a criticism it's just I'm genuinely surprised that something you thought would be more bankable would get made first.

...As far as I know, Ubisoft actively shopped it around. This, Splinter Cell and something else which I can't remember. While Splinter Cell got itself stuck in the development hell, Ubi just went and started making this film by themselves (almost). Last time I checked, Paramount is only on board to distribute.

You know, I think Halo got canned because Master Chief never, ever takes his helmet off. Which A-list, egocentric Hollywood actor would want to take on a role like that??? :P

You know, I think Halo got canned because Master Chief never, ever takes his helmet off. Which A-list, egocentric Hollywood actor would want to take on a role like that??? :P
Karl Urban did in Dredd, and I think that it has worked out well.

Karl Urban did in Dredd, and I think that it has worked out well.

...Urban is an A lister? News to me. :sly:

Besides, you can sort of see lower half of his mug. Disqualified. :D

You know I was kidding about the helmet thing, right? Also, Dredd bombed, so....

You know, I think Halo got canned because Master Chief never, ever takes his helmet off.
And it doesn't really tell that much of a story. What story it does tell is told well enough, but it's pretty basic.

I think i've heard that Ubi is going to bring Watch Dogs to the big screen too aside from Splinter Cell and this.

Wonder if The Crew and Rainbow Six are also bring eyed.

Last edited:
I think i've heard that Ubi is going to bring Watch Dogs to the big screen too aside from Splinter Cell and this.

Wonder if The Crew and Rainbow Six are also bring eyed.

...Yes, Watch Dogs!! Now I remember.

Splinter Cell had a bit of a buzz with Tom Hardy attached to it but that was way before he became a Hollywood super-star of sorts. Now.... who knows.

As soon as Assassin's Creed proves to be a box-office success, we will no doubt see either of these two also get a silver screen treatment in a few years.

Splinter Cell is said to be still in development, Tom Hardy is also still attached.

Besides, Hardy himself is a gamer (said to brought his 360 when he was shooting Fury Road so he can play in his trailer during break) , i don't think he would pass this role.

...Uh oh, this isn't good.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ubis...in-s-creed-are-not-about-making-money/0169446

If you can't be bothered, the link above has an interview with a bloke named Alain Corre, who just so happens to be Ubi Europe boss. In it he states that....

“We are not going to earn a lot of money from it,” He told us. “It is a lot more a marketing thing, it is also good for the image of the brand. Although we will make some money, it is not the purpose of this movie.

...So then, you saw the rough-cut of the movie, and it wasn't so good, was it Mr. Corre?

In context, most everything news about this movie that comes from a video game website should be taken with a very large grain of salt. I almost assume at this point that they have an agenda that they want to see this film fail.

Which begs the question of why they bankrolled it in the first place.
Some games, in context, are a lot better as films than games (see Metal Gear Solid). I think that this would make a decent film, and I would like to give it a chance. The thing is, though, even if it is a video game adaptation, there are better things to do for video game sites than to report on than movies. IGN gets away with it because their video game critics do not review movies, but any other site would have a perception bias that any video game-based movie is automatically bad that I really don't care to hear from them as it relates to any film (if more than anything to keep my prejudices at bay.)

I want to go and see a good movie, not find excuses to bash it to bits just because it is based off a video game.

Early reviews are in, and they're not positive - the film currently has a score of 15% on Rotten Tomatoes. The critical consensus seems to be that the film is generally better-made than most video game adaptations, but is over-plotted and not particularly engaging.

Early reviews are in, and they're not positive - the film currently has a score of 15% on Rotten Tomatoes. The critical consensus seems to be that the film is generally better-made than most video game adaptations, but is over-plotted and not particularly engaging.

Faithful to the material then

Back