Assassin's Creed the Movie: Crashed and Burned - dodged a bullet there and missed Razzie noms

• Thread starter JKgo
  • 113 comments
It sounds a lot like Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglaive in that it holds appeal for dedicated fans, but doesn't give outsiders much of a reason to watch.

Assassin's Creed has pre-nominated for half a dozen Golden Raspberry Awards, including Worst Picture, Worst Director, Worst Screenplay, Worst Supporting Actor and Worst Supporting Acrtress.

Given that in recent years, the Golden Raspberries have been more about beating up on one particular film, five pre-nominations mean that Assassin's Creed will almost certainly get nominated, though not necessarily win.

...Why am I not surprised. :ill:

Had such a high expectations. Yet, oh boy. What a spectacular crash and burn this whole thing is turning into.

I wonder if Ubisoft will go ahead with the planned movie franchise now. Probably not. All that talk of guaranteeing the quality of the output by retaining creative control has yielded nothing but a fat, stinking turkey in the end.

Now, when The Hollywood execs come calling for the rights of yet another video game IP, they can simply point to this mess and say, "look, you make games and know jack-all about making movies. Let us do our thing, and we'll let you do your thing."

...Why am I not surprised.
It's not the only film to get multiple pre-nominations. If the Golden Raspberries are more about beating up on one particular film, then there are plenty of candidates with multiple nominations - Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, Zoolander No. 2, Independence Day: Resurgence and Collateral Beauty. Many of them all got pre-nominations in the same categories as Assassin's Creed. But I suspect that the one that will really bear the brunt of the judges' ire is Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party for its thinly-veiled attack on the political process while masquerading as investigate journalism. The one thing that might save Assassin's Creed is Michael Fassbender; he didn't get pre-nominated for Worst Actor, which is a pretty notable omission. If the Golden Raspberries really want to beat up a film, they nominate a film in as many categories as they can contrive.

I wonder if Ubisoft will go ahead with the planned movie franchise now. Probably not.
They'll judge it based on box office revenues rather than critical consensus. There are plenty of terrible films that get terrible sequels simply because they turned a profit.

Not surprised, never liked the games, at all :ill:

Jerome

...That bad, huh.
Not so much bad as it is utterly disgusting.

Was thinking of seeing this, since it looked like an interesting proposition.
The trailers are incredibly misleading. They'd have you believe that the main characters wake up early because of some fault or sinister scheme aboard the ship. But they don't. The male character wakes up early by mistake, and unable to go back to sleep for the remainder of the journey, he wakes the female character up because he wants company and she's the kind of woman he'd normally be interested in. It's presented as being romantic, but it's incredibly creepy. She has no say in the matter and no way of going back to sleep, so the male character has effectively murdered her - forced her to wake up because he's lonely, and stealing from her the life on the new world that she was expecting to have.

When a film does something as disgrace as this, it doesn't deserve the benefit of a spoiler tag.
Nevertheless, it's a new-ish film that people may not have seen and may want to go and see, having the plot spoiled in a thread about a different film. It would be a courtesy to your fellow members, even if you don't think they should waste their time.

Not so much bad as it is utterly disgusting.

The trailers are incredibly misleading. They'd have you believe that the main characters wake up early because of some fault or sinister scheme aboard the ship. But they don't. The male character wakes up early by mistake, and unable to go back to sleep for the remainder of the journey, he wakes the female character up because he wants company and she's the kind of woman he'd normally be interested in. It's presented as being romantic, but it's incredibly creepy. She has no say in the matter and no way of going back to sleep, so the male character has effectively murdered her - forced her to wake up because he's lonely, and stealing from her the life on the new world that she was expecting to have.

Normally I'd say hey man spoilers but wow :lol: bullet dodged.

...Ahem, this discussion regarding Passengers is a riveting one, one where myself even participated, but ultimately it's off topic so, please - shall we not?

To bring things back on topic....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...-kicks-overseas-box-office-butt/#89633091e0e1

It seems the film has opened in non-U.S. markets quite strongly, almost doubling the box office total it has earned til now.

I know that it has been performing okay-ish locally - another indication that the tastes of US audiences and global ones differ substantially.

I for one, will wait for a BluRay release instead. No time to go see it in a cinema no more. Missed my chance. :irked:

@JKgo didn't this cost like 150 million $? it tanked there is no other way to describe it.

...Yup, it is a turkey, alright. There's no denying that. But seeing that it only opened recently (like last weekend) in many international markets, I can sort of see the accumulated total edging past 200 mil mark. Even then, I'm guessing it's still a loss for Ubisoft. That 150 mil figure should be for the production cost, not counting the marketing as well.

Add that on top, it should easily shoot past 250, 275 mil at least. Yes, I just pulled that number out of a hat. Sue me. :lol:

...Yup, it is a turkey, alright. There's no denying that. But seeing that it only opened recently (like last weekend) in many international markets, I can sort of see the accumulated total edging past 200 mil mark. Even then, I'm guessing it's still a loss for Ubisoft. That 150 mil figure should be for the production cost, not counting the marketing as well.

Add that on top, it should easily shoot past 250, 275 mil at least. Yes, I just pulled that number out of a hat. Sue me. :lol:

Yep marketing and such is usually double the production value, so it is indeed a disaster. I almost went and saw it today but the amount of people saying it's terribly I decided against it.

Shame really, wonder how this affect Ubi-Vivendi relations

Yep marketing and such is usually double the production value, so it is indeed a disaster. I almost went and saw it today but the amount of people saying it's terribly I decided against it.

Shame really, wonder how this affect Ubi-Vivendi relations

...More than that, I'm curious how this mess will affect the other game movies currently stuck in Hollywood Development Hell. The Tomb Raider reboot, The Uncharted, The Watch Dogs, Mass Effect movie - all stuck in HDH for one reason or another. And now, even with the level of talents involved in this project, the end result is an utter disappointment, financially and critically.

Surely, it could only mean cancellations, cancellations everywhere....

Had the feeling it wouldn't go well. Movies based on Games always get a red flag immediately raised, while I'm disappointed this movie didn't prove me wrong in that it failed to take down the red flag even though I'm not a fan of thw Assassin's Creed franchise, it wasn't something that surprising,

The shortlist for the Golden Raspberries has been published and Assassin's Creed has been nominated for:

None of them.

The shortlist for the Golden Raspberries has been published and Assassin's Creed has been nominated for:

None of them.

...Well, that's interesting. So, the critics, the few who had bothered to actually see the film, thought it was not as atrocious and thus does not deserve to be caned. However, the voracious fed-on-steady-diets-of-Internet-Memes crowd want it to burn in hell. Huh.

Whatever the case may be, now I have to change the thread title again.... Oh, bother.

So, the critics, the few who had bothered to actually see the film, thought it was not as atrocious and thus does not deserve to be caned.
As far as I know, the critics don't have any say in who gets a Razzie nomination.

Back