Assetto corsa coming to PS4 and Xbox one

• Thread starter hennessey86
  • 10,511 comments
You might already know this, and it's definitely not an ideal solution, but you can put the PS messages app on your smartphone and quickly/easily group message multiple people on your phone without doing anything on the PS4.

Unfortunately, you have falsely assumed that I have a smartphone, I don't. And, everyone else who enters the public lobby would have to have a smartphone with the app to make it work. But thanks for letting me know about it, as I didn't know that already.👍

A PC solves all but one of those problems. :sly:

I missed one problem; hosts not having the option to turn off all voice chat for the whole lobby in-game.

Real race drivers don't talk to 15 other people when their racing, so I don't want to do that either. Racing whilst listening to the background noise of 15 other people bleeding through is not my idea of sim racing, nor fun. People think before they type, but not so much before they speak. Kicking someone out for bad language or behavour when voice chat is on is next to impossible, because it takes ages trying to work out what voice is coming from what member. Also, people can miss instructions related via voice chat, but with text chat there is a permanent record in the chat log. None of these problems rear their ugly head with text chat. I believe that all games should include both types of communication, but also include options for hosts to enable &/or disable them for the whole room. Game devs seem to be largely ignorant of these problems & how they affect hosts trying to run clean lobbies.

Last edited:
VBR
I missed one problem; hosts not having the option to turn off all voice chat for the whole lobby in-game.

Real race drivers don't talk to 15 other people when their racing, so I don't want to do that either. Racing whilst listening to the background noise of 15 other people bleeding through is not my idea of sim racing, nor fun. People think before they type, but not so much before they speak. Kicking someone out for bad language or behavour when voice chat is on is next to impossible, because it takes ages trying to work out what voice is coming from what member. Also, people can miss instructions related via voice chat, but with text chat there is a permanent record in the chat log. None of these problems rear their ugly head with text chat. I believe that all games should include both types of communication, but also include options for hosts to enable &/or disable them for the whole room. Game devs seem to be largely ignorant of these problems & how they affect hosts trying to run clean lobbies.

Also solved with PC. On PC there is no in-game voice chat with any of the sims, you use TeamSpeak or Discord and with those you can mute individuals or all of them. And on Discord you can even adjust the volume of individual users to really fine-tune things. AC on PC also has in-game text chat.

Also solved with PC. On PC there is no in-game voice chat with any of the sims, you use TeamSpeak or Discord and with those you can mute individuals or all of them. And on Discord you can even adjust the volume of individual users to really fine-tune things. AC on PC also has in-game text chat.

Doesn't solve the problem entirely, as other people can still use voice chat which ultimately changes the racing dynamic. I only want to race people who are serious about racing, & who are not going to be distracted themselves.

Didn't know AC has in-game text that on PC, that's great. But yet another thing to be disappointed with in the PS4 port.

VBR
Unfortunately, you have falsely assumed that I have a smartphone, I don't. And, everyone else who enters the public lobby would have to have a smartphone with the app to make it work. But thanks for letting me know about it, as I didn't know that already.👍
AH, yes no smartphone, no go.

It sends the message in PS messages in general, so each message sent/received through the app shows up on the PS4 sent items/inbox simultaneously. So would work fine for people without the app. You also don't have to close the game to respond to messages on the PS4 itself.

All FYI, I guess.

VBR
Doesn't solve the problem entirely, as other people can still use voice chat which ultimately changes the racing dynamic. I only want to race people who are serious about racing, & who are not going to be distracted themselves.

Oh, well you're unlikely to find that since most people, even those who take it very seriously, tend to enjoy the banter and camaraderie just as much as the racing. When I used to host races it was understood that during qualifying or the race that voice/text chat was frowned upon unless necessary and it worked fine, rarely any talking during qualifying/race.

jThis isn't the case. The setting in the lobby is only there for you to allow or prohibit people from using it in your lobby. If SC is on in the lobby then it will be dependent on what you have it set to in your settings. I was told this directly by the person responsible for the lobbies.

It works! Thanks you so much. This improves the multiplayer a lot to me.

VBR

You can read and send messages from playstation.com as well, if you have a PC handy. Shame it's a crappy popup rather than a full page, but it works.

Oh, well you're unlikely to find that since most people, even those who take it very seriously, tend to enjoy the banter and camaraderie just as much as the racing. When I used to host races it was understood that during qualifying or the race that voice/text chat was frowned upon unless necessary and it worked fine, rarely any talking during qualifying/race.

Yeah, I remember racing with you in some of your events, was good fun. Although that works for organized racing, I don't think it's enforceable in public lobbies.

VBR
Yeah, I remember racing with you in some of your events, was good fun. Although that works for organized racing, I don't think it's enforceable in public lobbies.
I remember you were going through a similar phase about a year ago or so... While I would hate to see you go, I see you have a large list of things you don't like -- all perfectly valid. I do think a PC sim environment would be better for you based on your wants & needs. Now, I haven't tried all of the major PC sims, but seeing what you're looking for, I would personally recommend iRacing. It's a no-nonsense multi-player racing sim. It's all about the racing all of the time. I'm sure you're fully aware of iRacing so I'll leave it at that. I know they can be a bit pricey if you want to have 30 tracks and 20 cars, but I guess that reinforces the point or iRacing in a way. This forces you to learn your car and learn it well. And then learn it some more.

Really? I think that when I got into one of those lobbies I had SC on when I dont use it never. Will try it. It's very good news if it really works:cheers:

This is other of the mistakes of Kunos. They dont explain hardly anything, so even for people like us that knows a lot of the game from reading on forums and following the devs on social media and so on, we dont know how certain stuff of the game works.
Yep, when custom lobbies came out i was a bit annoyed that i was not able to turn SC off so i brought it up in the forum and was told that thats how it works. It actually makes sense but as you say, there is no info about anything in the game. The Audi TT cup car for instance, how many people know it has P2P? i knew it had it but i still had to work it out. Same goes for Control settings. Really crazy that they expect people to just work it all out.

P.S when i do tests like in your vid i use the RBR National track as it loads much quicker.

VBR
The problems for me are in the PS4 OS itself, as well as missing options from all current gen games. Let me explain...

First problem for me is including multiplayer in the PS Plus subscription. It's not good value for me personally, as I only play a handful of racing titles. The net result is that I'm being charged to use my own internet, something which I'm not best pleased about, & don't want to pay for.

The second problem is that the PS4 doesn't support real time text chat. This was essential on PS3 for titles that didn't have in-game text chat, like GT5 Prologue for example. Having real time text chat on the console that could be accessed with one push of a button, without quitting or pausing the game, turned GT5P into a very sociable experience with those on my friends list as well as organized forum racing. Without that, it would've been a very lonely experience. Seeing as PS4 doesn't have real time text chat, I can't organize clean public racing like I did on PS3 with the three GT titles. Sure, you can have a conversation with up to 99 people, but you can't do it in real time, & have to quit the game to access it. Which is very clunky & all but unusable. This is essential for games that don't have in-game text chat like P CARS & AC.

Hosts not being able to kick dirty players. This is essential for clean racing in public lobbies. I did complain about it when P CARS first came out on the official forum, & Ian Bell said that he couldn't implement it because Sony wouldn't allow it. He had made a false assumption, because a little while later after much convincing from the community he was able to implement it. I don't know if hosts can do this in AC.

Not being able to name my rooms. In GT5/6 my rooms were named with enough information so people could clearly understand what was going on in them. Not being able to communicate what a room is all about is yet another thing that is killing online racing in P CARS in particular.

Not being able to change certain settings without having to leave the lobby & create a new one. In GT5/6 I could change any setting on the fly without having to start a whole 'nother room. The online in both AC & P CARS is Stone Age compared the the last gen GT titles.

On PS3 I was very quickly able to send multiple text messages to new players who entered the room. I could send saved messages in my outbox folder, which contained rules for the event & clean driving requirements, to multiple new players at once & within seconds. That was essential for clean racing in public lobbies, but I can't do this on PS4.

The net result of all this things is a killing of the social aspects of sim racing online in public lobbies. The various ways that the ability for hosts to communicate with other drivers has been butchered, or rendered so clunky that it's all but unusable. I cannot find anyway to continue the type of racing I enjoy, which depends entirely on having the tools to facilitate good communication with others.

The fact that GTS no longer allows hosts to set up tuning prohibited races is a killer as well, as that's all I used to do. It's a quick & easy way to race, but games designers are so dumb that they just don't get it. PD had some good options in GT5/6, options that they seem to care little about implementing in GTS, or even understand how much people relied on them.

Sorry for the epic reply, but I hope that answers your question!

:)
Sorry, i'm not getting your issue. I'm gonna need more info.

Just kidding. Agree with petty much all of your isues and share most of the. The old text chat is a big miss. The app for text chat is good but not practical for what you want ( too much faffing about when on track). The only solution for AC at the moment is to add all the clean racers and/or make a PS4 community and add people who want clean racing and can adhere to the rules.

VBR

Well, not much is enforceable in public lobbies unfortunately. You'd have better luck trying to herd cats than trying to get them to obey rules or be serious about racing.

Well, not much is enforceable in public lobbies unfortunately. You'd have better luck trying to herd cats than trying to get them to obey rules or be serious about racing.

In AC & P CARS, sure. But it was fine in GT games. For instance, in all the time I spent hosting in GT6's public lobbies, I only had to kick 3 people out. The GT games on PS3, & the console's OP, had all the tools I needed to make sure things went smooth. I have well over 400 replays of great clean racing, mostly from public lobbies. Just so gutted that I can't continue that on PS4.

@ALB123 - I agree that PC racing would be ideal for me, but I just can't afford a new PC at the moment; let alone one good enough for sim racing.

VBR
In AC & P CARS, sure. But it was fine in GT games. For instance, in all the time I spent hosting in GT6's public lobbies, I only had to kick 3 people out. The GT games on PS3, & the console's OP, had all the tools I needed to make sure things went smooth. I have well over 400 replays of great clean racing, mostly from public lobbies.

My time in PC Land has taught me that GT5/6 are anomalies, no other racing game/sim has the features and functions built in that they did. It took me quite awhile to adapt to not having built-in voice chat and no/limited text chat, or the fact that most sims are setup so that you race at one track over and over and have to reset the server to make changes. But now that I've adapted I actually prefer things this way.

Just so gutted that I can't continue that on PS4.

I'm sure there are plenty of groups out there that will offer you clean racing, you may just have to adjust your expectations/desires slightly. However, getting regular, clean, respectful racing from public lobbies in any game on any platform is pretty much a pipe dream anymore unfortunately.

And for the record, I know you well enough to think that you probably wouldn't be any happier in PC Land. I was really disappointed when I first made the move and it took many months for me to change my outlook and learn to appreciate the differences. On the PC side the community is splintered between all the different games and it's damn hard to get a regular group together for good racing. Plus, most of them have fewer options/features/functions when it comes to online multiplayer.

@Brandon - Good point. I remember in GT5 Prologue we were satisfied with racing in one car on one track all night. I just find it hard adjusting my expectations down after being spoilt with GT5/6's online hosting options & functionality. And to think at the time I thought those games didn't even have enough options!

Last edited:
I'm sure there are plenty of groups out there that will offer you clean racing, you may just have to adjust your expectations/desires slightly. However, getting regular, clean, respectful racing from public lobbies in any game on any platform is pretty much a pipe dream anymore unfortunately.

Im not agree. PCars2 has shown it's possible.

Im not agree. PCars2 has shown it's possible.

The game really has nothing to do with how good or bad a pub lobby is, this is a human problem which is why it's common in all games. I joined a few public servers on PC2 and they were all ****shows just like in any other sim, and I've lost count of how many posts I've read from people complaining that the rating system in PC2 doesn't really work because they're still getting wrecked all the time in pub lobbies. There's exceptions to the rule of course, it's possible to find a good pub lobby now and then but chances are that you're more likely to have a bad time than a good one when joining a random public race regardless of title or platform.

The game really has nothing to do with how good or bad a pub lobby is, this is a human problem which is why it's common in all games. I joined a few public servers on PC2 and they were all ****shows just like in any other sim, and I've lost count of how many posts I've read from people complaining that the rating system in PC2 doesn't really work because they're still getting wrecked all the time in pub lobbies. There's exceptions to the rule of course, it's possible to find a good pub lobby now and then but chances are that you're more likely to have a bad time than a good one when joining a random public race regardless of title or platform.

To find clean races you have to look in high rating levels, and to get to those levels you have to spend quite some time.

S-A-B-C and D. Lobbies with lower rating level than those is where the trouble begins.

My experience is completely positive in those levels, as many other people I've read.

To find clean races you have to look in high rating levels, and to get to those levels you have to spend quite some time.

S-A-B-C and D. Lobbies with lower rating level than those is where the trouble begins.

My experience is completely positive in those levels, as many other people I've read.
Now that the grip bug is sorted, if they can fix the other fatal flaw in the game (yellow flag penalties) I'll be tempted to give GT Sport another go. I really didn't have much trouble with dirty drivers to be honest, even at DR:D - to your point. But I think grip bug had a lot to do with a few of my worst races. Really sloppy drivers inexplicably staying in the fight, like :confused: why am I not dropping you?

I was grateful to switch from ps4 to pc and I utilize SRS when racing with Assetto Corsa now. Much cleaner races with folks who have gone to the extent to own a capable pc, gear, and sign up on a 3rd party site.

Now that the grip bug is sorted, if they can fix the other fatal flaw in the game (yellow flag penalties) I'll be tempted to give GT Sport another go. I really didn't have much trouble with dirty drivers to be honest, even at DR:D - to your point. But I think grip bug had a lot to do with a few of my worst races. Really sloppy drivers inexplicably staying in the fight, like :confused: why am I not dropping you?

I was talking about PCars2 :D

Another great, but lesser known feature in GT5/6 on PS3 was this; if you put someone on your PSN Blocked list, they couldn't enter any lobby you were hosting in GT ever again. My list was filled to the max with various cockwombles I'd had the misfortune to have met over the years. It was a great way of stopping trolls coming in time & again.

Sweet! My favourite track!
I struggle on this track. You've gotta be very precise in so many of the turns. There's almost no room for small mistakes. The track is super fun, though...I love trying to get that perfect (for me) lap where I hit every single mark I wanted to.

I think you guys will like the Huracan Performante too. Kunos really did a great job recreating the car's active aerodynamics. You can actually see the front system at work if you move a camera into a position to watch the front spoiler raise and lower, directing air in one of two paths. Is it superfluous? Yeah, maybe. But, it's not just for show...if you check out the aero.ini file you'll see 202 lines of parameters where as a car like the Aventador SV has only 86. (There are several additional aerodynamics related files for each car, but aero.ini is the main file).

Front Spoiler closed:
ekkF3Lw.jpg

Front Spoiler open:
UjTV8A8.jpg

I struggle on this track. You've gotta be very precise in so many of the turns. There's almost no room for small mistakes. The track is super fun, though...I love trying to get that perfect (for me) lap where I hit every single mark I wanted to.

I think you guys will like the Huracan Performante too. Kunos really did a great job recreating the car's active aerodynamics. You can actually see the front system at work if you move a camera into a position to watch the front spoiler raise and lower, directing air in one of two paths. Is it superfluous? Yeah, maybe. But, it's not just for show...if you check out the aero.ini file you'll see 202 lines of parameters where as a car like the Aventador SV has only 86. (There are several additional aerodynamics related files for each car, but aero.ini is the main file).

Front Spoiler closed:
ekkF3Lw.jpg

Front Spoiler open:
UjTV8A8.jpg
Do the flaps on the 458 move? I have a suspicion they dont.

Sweet! My favourite track!

Excellent.
I can see lots of races and hot laps being run on PS4 and some testing of times.

Bizarre really as I have it on PC already for ages, but for some reason I always end up playing on console instead. :ouch: (partly because my laptop struggles a bit graphics wise although it shouldn't due to its spec but I'm not very good at getting the best of PCs as I never know what to "tweak")

Just need to find time to play it in between all these dang monthly GT Sport updates :lol:

Laguna Seca is *my* favourite track also for a very personal reason...

Do the flaps on the 458 move? I have a suspicion they dont.
Isn't it the 458 Speciale that has the active aero up front an on the back sills? I could have sworn those were introduced on the 458 Speciale. Even if the plain Jane Ferrari 458 has that front spoiler flap, my guess would be that Kunos did not animate it...if I can get all 20 IQ points in my brain to remember, I will try to do the same viewing as with the Huracan Performante.

As much as it pains me to admit, Assetto Corsa doesn't animate the two front hood flaps...Maybe I'll ask in the official forums if there was a reason they did the rear flaps but not the front. I'm sure I'll probably get attacked by the rabid fanboys for daring to inquire about missing animated front flaps. :lol:

Oh, and I watched a video from PCars and AC - both using the Pagani Huayra. The two sims activate their rear flaps in a different manner. I watched two different videos earlier this morning, but here is one video showing both sims side by side, so maybe this will be better to watch for the differences.

Back