Assetto Corsa in VRPC 

• Thread starter r3b3ld3
  • 362 comments
I understand why it won't be happening, but I still dream/wish that FB/Meta made a 'Rift 3' - Quest 3 hardware, minus the battery, storage and SoC innards, just the shell, lenses, controllers and a direct connection to the GPU, with Air Link as the wireless option.
It'd be lighter than a Quest 3 also.

I recently upgraded to a new PC (40-car grids at night in the rain at a rock-solid 90fps is absolute heaven after enduring ASW for so long) but ever since then there's been an issue with Real Head Motion occasionally stopping the video feed to my HMD, pretty much as described in this old Reddit thread:

The link to the solution seems broken , so does anyone know what this fix is?

Or, maybe a better question, can Neck FX now do a better job than RHM?
I dabbled with Neck FX when it was released but found it quite incomprehensible and couldn't get good results, and at the time RHM did everything I wanted it to do (basically smooth the vertical motion of the environment and provide a better balance between cockpit and environmental motion, while replicating the way our eyes naturally smooth out vibrations).
I tried driving VR without RHM (and without Neck FX) and it's horrible. I can understand why new users to VR could be instantly put off driving sims if RHM/Neck FX wasn't used, it was a deeply unpleasant experience.

If anyone has experience with using Neck FX, please share them, along with your settings.
Or if anyone knows how to get RHM working seamlessly with AC again, please also share.
Thanks.

Last edited:
How do you get Content Manager in VR? I have a Pimax 5k+ and I am running Assetto Corsa with OpenXR. No problems. I also run Virtual Desktop (the app to display the Windows desktop in VR) before I launch Content Manager so that I can see Content Manager fullscreen in VR with my headset on. When I launch AC from Content Manager, it switches to OpenXR and works fine. The problem is that when I quit AC, the display in my VR is black (no image). I have found that then neither Virtual Desktop nor SteamVR are working. I guess that SteamVR automatically closes itself (closing Virtual Desktop too) when another app enters the VR mode in OpenXR. The solution I have is to automatically run Virtual Desktop (it opens SteamVR too) when I quit AC from my button box (scripts), but it would be much better not having to do so. If Virtual Desktop or any other app for that purpose could run in OpenXR mode I could get rid of SteamVR and I bet the problem would not happen.

Last edited:
I just got it working with my Content Manager, but I can 't output to my Quest 3. Anybody have any suggestions? I can use wireless headphones to my PC, and as far as I know, ONLY VD works with Content Manager... Everywhere else, audio comes out of the headset. Every game, every sound, everything. Except AC via Content Manager.

I recently upgraded to a new PC (40-car grids at night in the rain at a rock-solid 90fps is absolute heaven after enduring ASW for so long) but ever since then there's been an issue with Real Head Motion occasionally stopping the video feed to my HMD, pretty much as described in this old Reddit thread:

I dabbled with Neck FX when it was released but found it quite incomprehensible and couldn't get good results, and at the time RHM did everything I wanted it to do (basically smooth the vertical motion of the environment and provide a better balance between cockpit and environmental motion, while replicating the way our eyes naturally smooth out vibrations).
I tried driving VR without RHM (and without Neck FX) and it's horrible. I can understand why new users to VR could be instantly put off driving sims if RHM/Neck FX wasn't used, it was a deeply unpleasant experience.

If anyone has experience with using Neck FX, please share them, along with your settings.
Or if anyone knows how to get RHM working seamlessly with AC again, please also share.
Thanks.

I was really happy to come across your post because I have felt the exact same way about RHM versus NeckFX. I've tried many different NeckFX profiles and none of them feel natural to me the way that RHM does. In particular, RHM is the only one that seems to nearly zero out shaking of the world outside the car and instead make the car shake, which to my eyes is much more natural and less jarring.

I wanted to mention, though, that just recently in CSP 2.2.0, or whatever the latest version is, I decided to go back and try the default NeckFX profile and actually quite like it! I think it does a pretty good job of handling the shaking, with the added bonus of getting all the other effects too. To clarify, I'm talking about the completely default profile, so you have to uncheck the box that says 'replace with CSP version' or whatever. I would say it's worth a try.

Edit: I should note that I haven't tried this in VR; I found this thread when searching on RHM.

Last edited:
Hi folks recently bought a quest 3 and im loving it , but when i play replays its just a black screen but i can hear the race going on? Any ideas how i can fix this ? Thankyou.

Thanks.

Yo Masscot, it's been a while. Hey I just got my rig back together and was messing with the Quest 3. Try this lua script, I think it does a pretty good job at replicating RHM (which was getting pretty buggy for me). He also created one for single screen.

Yo Masscot, it's been a while. Hey I just got my rig back together and was messing with the Quest 3. Try this lua script, I think it does a pretty good job at replicating RHM (which was getting pretty buggy for me). He also created one for single screen.

Hey Kevin, thanks - that feels pretty good in VR but the g-force submenu is hidden or omitted. Any idea how to add it to the script?
I want to try adding some surge under braking and acceleration.
This is the missing submenu:
1708710338967.png

Last edited:
Hey Kevin, thanks - that feels pretty good in VR but the g-force submenu is hidden or omitted. Any idea how to add it to the script?
I want to try adding some surge under braking and acceleration.
This is the missing submenu:
View attachment 1330735
Not sure, I never used those kinds of things with RHM, so I didn't miss it- maybe try contacting the author?

Not sure, I never used those kinds of things with RHM, so I didn't miss it- maybe try contacting the author?
Yes, have done.
Some mild surge under braking and acceleration seems to be really effective in VR. Makes perfect sense if you think about it.
Did RHM have that effect? If it did, I never used it.

Okay, after just a few hours with Neck FX and with basic probably-horribly-wrong settings I'm already convinced that I've been doing VR sim racing wrong for all these years.
Adding appropriate surge, roll and sway effects in VR makes an incredible difference, and really helps the immersion. It's almost like having a virtual motion rig.
Wow. This really warrants a group effort to better understand the various settings and get them dialled in properly.

Here's a Neck FX with G-forces test profile for VR, in case anyone want to try it. Please comment and offer feedback if you do.
Test with the Kunos BMW Z4 GT3 around Kunos Silverstone GP (modern layout) on a dry track, so we're all singing from the same hymn sheet.
Disable RHM and turn off Lock To Horizon in AC 'View and UI' settings.
This is very much a WIP, I'm still trying to understand the intricacies of this most frustrating app.
What I've been trying to achieve:
  • Stable road, vertical shaking minimised
  • Head surge under braking and acceleration g-forces
  • Slight lateral head movement under cornering g-forces, with appropriate lean

Note, this has been tuned in VR while using a G-Seat and G-Belt with a 6-point harness, but should work (or not!) on a static rig.

Save your current Neck FX settings first so you can revert with one click.

Happy to have any silly settings pointed out or any suggestions for improvement. This is a first stab at unravelling an enigma.
Important: you'll probably hate it.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the intestinal fortitude for the head surging thing, but to each his own, right?

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the intestinal fortitude for the head surging thing, but to each his own, right?
Ha ha... no problem! The settings are still very much WIP and are probably currently awful.
I never felt the need for any fake g-movement when using a seat mover or chassis mover, but the G-Seat/G-Belt combo on a static rig actually induces slight (very slight) braking and acceleration head movement in the opposite direction to what would normally be expected in a moving car, so some fake g-forces are pretty much essential. Having said that, I now also find them helping with VR immersion on a completely static rig too.

"Pancakes are for lemons", lol. Did you get the new head set? The Quest 3 does look a lot better than my Rift S, now that I've got most of the bugs figured out. But I need to run OpenXR, and my 3070ti is barely enough GPU .

Where are you at with that concept, do you still think it worth investigating?
I just stumble on this thread and find the idea intriguing.
In the g-seat/g-belt I have fake NeckFX g-forces in all directions and it really complements the motion effects, but for a static rig only fore/aft for braking/acceleration seems to work best. Even this will take a little getting used to.

Last edited:
"Pancakes are for lemons", lol. Did you get the new head set? The Quest 3 does look a lot better than my Rift S, now that I've got most of the bugs figured out. But I need to run OpenXR, and my 3070ti is barely enough GPU .
Nope, still rocking the Rift. It's never looked better with all the various framerate enhancers, variable resolution etc disabled, graphics settings on max, ASW disabled and supersampling at 1.6x. I can get rock solid 90fps in it with huge grids at night in the rain since getting the 4080.

I did use 2 of the NeckFX CM preselect settings. Never have I experienced the VR illness in AC, but using NeckFX I did feel that I was at the begin stage of experience the famous VR illness. 🧟‍♂️
I prefer without NeckFX.

Hi All. Does anybody know how to remove or reduce flickering in a VR replay. It happens a lot on barriers ect. SX Le Mans seams to be the worst. Many thanks.

For what ever reason I cannot run PP with any sort of stability on my system. I have made peace with it mostly but missing brake lights is one thing that still grinds on me. Is there any way to get them back without switching PP on. Or maybe some of your tips for making PP as resource light as possible.

i7-10700k & RX6950XT. Pico Neo 3 Link via DP.

Last edited:
For what ever reason I cannot run PP with any sort of stability on my system. I have made peace with it mostly but missing brake lights is one thing that still grinds on me. Is there any way to get them back without switching PP on. Or maybe some of your tips for making PP as resource light as possible.

i7-10700k & RX6950XT. Pico Neo 3 Link via DP.
Hi. As far as I know of there isn’t a solution . I had the same problem before I updated my system. Sorry.

Back