good or bad idea?

anyone have that combo for AC rv?

BTW my specs ryzen 5 3600, rtx2060, 16gb ram

Last edited:
I'm thinking on quest2 for AC

good or bad idea?

Long time VR user here. I used an Oculus Rift CV1 for over three years, and upgraded to a Quest 2 this past January.

I did some research before I made the upgrade to the Quest 2--the HP Reverb G2, and Oculus Rift 2 were two other candidates.

The HP Reverb offered slightly better resolution and quality, but it's more demanding on your PC, and there's some compatibility issues and problems with the controllers (at the time). The increase in quality wasn't enough to justify buying it because of the issues, and the price being twice that of the Quest 2.

Oculus Rift 2 is a nice option... if you can find it on sale, or a good used one for less than $220 or so. However, it's no longer supported by Oculus/Facebook. The Rift line has been discontinued, and it hasn't been updated in a long time.

I chose the Quest 2 for it's quality and price. With the formal release of link cable support, and its' frequent updates (which are still occurring), those were the final deciding factors. Also, when I unplugged my Rift and its' sensors, and plugged in the Quest 2, everything worked without issue. The Quest 2 is a vast improvement over my old Rift with much higher resolution, and many improved features. As a bonus, you also get the mobile feature, so you can play VR games without a PC. This is something I rarely do, but I can take it to a party if someone wants to try out VR.

Is VR for you?
If you haven't used VR before, you may either love it at first, you may need a week or so to get accustomed to it, or it might make you sick and you just can't get over it. If you can, I recommend finding a way to try it out with a good PC for at least an hour. If you do get one and feel a little queasy, allow yourself some time to develop your "VR legs" before deciding to continue using it or not.

Your Interpupillary Distance (IPD)
Do some research on this. The distance between your pupils need to fall within the range of the headset you're using. There's a lot of info on this, on the Oculus site, as well as Youtube videos. If your IPD is outside the range, this will cause "focus" and clarity issues, and it can contribute to feeling nauseous.

The more powerful the PC, the better.
With a more powerful PC with a good GPU, you will maintain better frame rates, and you can increase the oversampling to reduce aliasing and other issues. On lesser powerful PCs, the performance is acceptable, and Oculus' Asynchronous Spacewarp feature may kick in, which uses some "trickery" to cut the framerate in half, but it appears to be faster. This is achieved by alternating images between the eyes, and using other processing enhacements. It's good, but you may notice some artifacts in the peripheral, or flickering around sharp edges.

Headset and strap placement
A VR headset needs to be properly mounted and angled in relation to your face and eyes. The head strap needs to be as low as possible on the back of the head, and the lenses need to be angled so they're "square" to your eyes. It's too easy for the lenses to become angled "up" and this reduces the focus and "sweet spot" you see inside the headset. The Quest 2's stock head strap is not the best for this--see below for a recommended comfort strap upgrade.

Link Cable vs Wireless for PC-VR
The wireless feature for connecting a Quest 2 to a PC is awesome, but for sim-racing, the link cable is the better option. As long as you have a good cable, the correct USB port, and an adequately-powered PC. you'll get reliable and solid performance. Things can still get "glitchy" sometimes, like a black frame or sudden disconnection, but it's very minor and infrequent--and your PC may be the issue.

Accessories
Link Cable:
You can find good, thick link cables of varying lengths for the Quest 2 for $15-$30 (the $70 Oculus fiber-optic cable is nice, but not necessary)

Silicone Face Cover: Fits over the foam padding of the Quest 2. It's easy to clean, and it's much better at holding the headset in place. You can find them for $8-10.

Halo/comfort Head Strap: I highly recommend this. It's easy to install, and much better than the stock "jock strap" head band that comes with the Quest 2. You can find them on eBay for $25-$40.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

good or bad idea?

I can fully confirm the Quest 2 is great for your(and my) needs. I ran a CV1 from 2017-2019, then ran a Rift S from 2019 to this March 2021, when I got my Quest 2. It's the best value all round.

good or bad idea?

Quest 2 is the best headset for the money hands down. You get so much more than a PC VR headset.
2060 should be alright on low to medium, ASW will make things playable. AC with CSP and mods is quite demanding because of poor optimization.

I'd go for the original Link Cable for best compatibility and the ability to charge the headset while use which is the ability 3rd party cable lacks.

Last edited:
I can fully confirm the Quest 2 is great for your(and my) needs. I ran a CV1 from 2017-2019, then ran a Rift S from 2019 to this March 2021, when I got my Quest 2. It's the best value all round.
I think I'm going to have a heart attack when I see myself in the game hahahah, I've never tried VR and I'm already looking forward to it:lol:

Quest 2 is the best headset for the money hands down. You get so much more than a PC VR headset.
2060 should be alright on low to medium, ASW will make things playable. AC with CSP and mods is quite demanding because of poor optimization.

I'd go for the original Link Cable for best compatibility and the ability to charge the headset while use which is the ability 3rd party cable lacks.
Only the ppf already spends more than 100fps on average in all the circuits, for example I can race against 60 cars on the track well, but I have to deactivate the shadows and the ppf.

There are some ppf that lower the performance a lot, in my tests only on the track I have more than 200fps on any track, when I activate some heavy ppf such as the chiquifreaky one it lowers me to 80fps.

I think I'm going to have a heart attack when I see myself in the game hahahah, I've never tried VR and I'm already looking forward to it:lol:

Speaking of seeing yourself, be sure to turn on smart mirrors in CSP. Not only will the mirrors realistically reflect parts of the car and their perspective will move as you move your head, but you can also "lean over" and see the driver's face/head/helmet moving around in-sync with your movements. This adds to the realism even more.

You can adjust the mirrors in-game using the smart-mirrors app.

I still remember that very first time 2017, when the game loaded in VR. I just remember sitting there in the pits in monza, in a GT3 Porsche. I sat there for a few minutes, just looking around the cockpit lol.
I kinda knew what to expect, after a lot of research, but there's nothing like actually seeing and 'feeling' that presence and scale for the first time.

Last edited:

Third party cables, if the correct spec, do charge the Quest 2 as well. Whether the Oculus or third-party cable, it doesn't fully maintain the charge while using the Quest 2, but it does prolong the charge and lengthen the time you can use the headset. After using my Quest 2 for 20-30 minutes, I can take it off, leave it connected to the PC, and it's recharged (green LED) within 5-10 minutes.

Only the ppf already spends more than 100fps on average in all the circuits, for example I can race against 60 cars on the track well, but I have to deactivate the shadows and the ppf.

There are some ppf that lower the performance a lot, in my tests only on the track I have more than 200fps on any track, when I activate some heavy ppf such as the chiquifreaky one it lowers me to 80fps.

you can't have CSP and SOL without PPF. even the most basic required GTX970 can run vanilla AC in VR if needed. not to mention running without shadows kills immersion massively. But if u can get your game to run at 45fps, its good enough, most of us runs ASW at all time running AC just because the simple fact that even 3090 can't keep 90FPS in all situation.

Third party cables, if the correct spec, do charge the Quest 2 as well. Whether the Oculus or third-party cable, it doesn't fully maintain the charge while using the Quest 2, but it does prolong the charge and lengthen the time you can use the headset. After using my Quest 2 for 20-30 minutes, I can take it off, leave it connected to the PC, and it's recharged (green LED) within 5-10 minutes.

probably a better alternative showed up, I got my quest 2 on launch day, so there wasn't much of an option lol, or invest in a WIFI 6 router for true wireless VR.

Long time VR user here. I used an Oculus Rift CV1 for over three years, and upgraded to a Quest 2 this past January.

I did some research before I made the upgrade to the Quest 2--the HP Reverb G2, and Oculus Rift 2 were two other candidates.

The HP Reverb offered slightly better resolution and quality, but it's more demanding on your PC, and there's some compatibility issues and problems with the controllers (at the time). The increase in quality wasn't enough to justify buying it because of the issues, and the price being twice that of the Quest 2.

Oculus Rift 2 is a nice option... if you can find it on sale, or a good used one for less than $220 or so. However, it's no longer supported by Oculus/Facebook. The Rift line has been discontinued, and it hasn't been updated in a long time.

I chose the Quest 2 for it's quality and price. With the formal release of link cable support, and its' frequent updates (which are still occurring), those were the final deciding factors. Also, when I unplugged my Rift and its' sensors, and plugged in the Quest 2, everything worked without issue. The Quest 2 is a vast improvement over my old Rift with much higher resolution, and many improved features. As a bonus, you also get the mobile feature, so you can play VR games without a PC. This is something I rarely do, but I can take it to a party if someone wants to try out VR.

Is VR for you?
If you haven't used VR before, you may either love it at first, you may need a week or so to get accustomed to it, or it might make you sick and you just can't get over it. If you can, I recommend finding a way to try it out with a good PC for at least an hour. If you do get one and feel a little queasy, allow yourself some time to develop your "VR legs" before deciding to continue using it or not.

Do some research on this. The distance between your pupils need to fall within the range of the headset you're using. There's a lot of info on this, on the Oculus site, as well as Youtube videos. If your IPD is outside the range, this will cause "focus" and clarity issues, and it can contribute to feeling nauseous.

The more powerful the PC, the better.
With a more powerful PC with a good GPU, you will maintain better frame rates, and you can increase the oversampling to reduce aliasing and other issues. On lesser powerful PCs, the performance is acceptable, and Oculus' Asynchronous Spacewarp feature may kick in, which uses some "trickery" to cut the framerate in half, but it appears to be faster. This is achieved by alternating images between the eyes, and using other processing enhacements. It's good, but you may notice some artifacts in the peripheral, or flickering around sharp edges.

Headset and strap placement
A VR headset needs to be properly mounted and angled in relation to your face and eyes. The head strap needs to be as low as possible on the back of the head, and the lenses need to be angled so they're "square" to your eyes. It's too easy for the lenses to become angled "up" and this reduces the focus and "sweet spot" you see inside the headset. The Quest 2's stock head strap is not the best for this--see below for a recommended comfort strap upgrade.

Link Cable vs Wireless for PC-VR
The wireless feature for connecting a Quest 2 to a PC is awesome, but for sim-racing, the link cable is the better option. As long as you have a good cable, the correct USB port, and an adequately-powered PC. you'll get reliable and solid performance. Things can still get "glitchy" sometimes, like a black frame or sudden disconnection, but it's very minor and infrequent--and your PC may be the issue.

Accessories
Link Cable:
You can find good, thick link cables of varying lengths for the Quest 2 for $15-$30 (the $70 Oculus fiber-optic cable is nice, but not necessary)

Silicone Face Cover: Fits over the foam padding of the Quest 2. It's easy to clean, and it's much better at holding the headset in place. You can find them for $8-10.

Halo/comfort Head Strap: I highly recommend this. It's easy to install, and much better than the stock "jock strap" head band that comes with the Quest 2. You can find them on eBay for $25-$40.

s-l1600.jpg

wow thank you very much for the explanation, with this all my doubts are resolved

I still remember that very first time 2017, when the game loaded in VR. I just remember sitting there in the pits in monza, in a GT3 Porsche. I sat there for a few minutes, just looking around the cockpit lol.
I kinda knew what to expect, after a lot of research, but there's nothing like actually seeing and 'feeling' it for the first time.

I remember my "first time." After setting up a Porsche cup race on the Nordscheife, when I hit Dttinger-Höhe (the long straight) and the afternoon sun created perspectively accurate lens flairs through the windshield and helmet visor, my eyes teared up with joy.

Lens flares was something that Project CARS 2 did well. Graphically amazing but too bad the "sim" overall wasn't very good.

Last edited:

good or bad idea?

I bought one last week. But I'm returning it, as I get sick after some use. So make sure you buy it at a store where returns are possible :P

It's the reduced IPD range that's stopping me upgrading from the CV1. No idea why Oculus reduced this.

It's the reduced IPD range that's stopping me upgrading from the CV1. No idea why Oculus reduced this.

Try to find someone near you with a Quest 2, if you can, so you can verify this will be an issue. If you discover it will work for you, I think it's well worth the upgrade. My old Rift is still sitting on the floor next to my rig, but I couldn't use it again. If my Quest 2 died today (heaven forbid) and I couldn't get it repaired quickly or there was a warranty issue, I'd probably go buy another one. I'd even like to have an extra one for friends to try out and use.

At first I thought the "manual" way to move the lenses to notched positions without a slider was a small setback, but I think I like it better than the slider on the Rift--which didn't work that well anyway.

There's a few additional negatives you may want to consider that haven't been mentioned.

As Apex already said, you need to spend some time getting the thing comfortable, but one problem I always found was that after an hour or so (ambient temperature depending), I tended to get uncomfortably warm wearing my Oculus CV1. Sticking a big fan next to me helped but it was something that always bothered me and wasn't widely mentioned by others.

You should also think about your current setup, my computer is the entertainment centre for my lounge which I know is uncommon, but unless you have your system setup purely/primarily for gaming, it's a faff to get everything setup each time.

Finally and the thing that has condemned my CV1 to the attic, using VR is hugely antisocial. Again this admittedly isn't helped by the whole setup being in my lounge, but it's worth bearing in mind nonetheless. When I'm gaming I like to be able to speak to my wife, hear the front door or my phone and when you've got the headset on then you're pretty much dead to the world. I'll freely admit I'm a bit weird in this regard though as I know the main appeal for most people is to become fully engrossed in the sim.

Try to find someone near you with a Quest 2, if you can, so you can verify this will be an issue. If you discover it will work for you, I think it's well worth the upgrade. My old Rift is still sitting on the floor next to my rig, but I couldn't use it again. If my Quest 2 died today (heaven forbid) and I couldn't get it repaired quickly or there was a warranty issue, I'd probably go buy another one. I'd even like to have an extra one for friends to try out and use.

At first I thought the "manual" way to move the lenses to notched positions without a slider was a small setback, but I think I like it better than the slider on the Rift--which didn't work that well anyway.
It's more about the maximum range. On the CV1 I have the slider maxed out to match my IPD but on the Q2 maxing this out provides an IPD which is 3mm lower, so the image might not ever be quite in focus.
There's nobody near me with a Q2 than I can try, unfortunately.

Last edited:
The IPD range on the Rift S is 58 to 72mm, which is the same as the CV1 isn't it? I know some people don't like the software adjustment but for me it works.

Last edited:
One trick to get around this is if you have a powered USB hub (which supports USB3) and you use that it will keep your Quest 2 fully charged.

That's what I do with mine, its also reduced disconnects to zero with no effect on performance.

good or bad idea?

My experience of getting set-up with a Quest 2 across a range of sims (including AC).

My set-up is in my signature for reference.

Last edited:
The IPD range on the Rift S is 58 to 72mm, which is the same as the CV1 isn't it? I know some people don't like the software adjustment but for me it works.
For my large cranium, the Quest 2's IPD setting of 3(the widest) is slightly larger than the CV1 at it's widest, and the Rift S. The clarity sweet spot aligns with each of my eyes properly( I can see the pixel screen door sharply in each eye), whereas I was always about 0.5mm outside the sweet spot on both the previous headsets.

Last edited:
it's the Q2 I'd upgrade to, but I think that maxes out at 68mm.

For my large cranium, the Quest 2's IPD setting of 3(the widest) is slightly larger than the CV1 at it's widest, and the Rift S. The clarity sweet spot aligns with each of my eyes properly( I can see the pixel screen door sharply in each eye), whereas I was always about 0.5mm outside the sweet spot on both the previous headsets.

I thought the Q2 had a narrower max IPD compared to the CV1 (by 3-4mm)?

Last edited:
it's the Q2 I'd upgrade to, but I think that maxes out at 68mm.

I thought the Q2 had a narrower max IPD compared to the CV1 (by 3-4mm)?
Maybe on a spec sheet, but not as far my actual eyes are concerned. 3-4 mm less would be a HUGE difference, and I wouldn't be able to see the clarity sweet spots at all, in either eye.

Last edited:
There's a few additional negatives you may want to consider that haven't been mentioned.

As Apex already said, you need to spend some time getting the thing comfortable, but one problem I always found was that after an hour or so (ambient temperature depending), I tended to get uncomfortably warm wearing my Oculus CV1. Sticking a big fan next to me helped but it was something that always bothered me and wasn't widely mentioned by others.

You should also think about your current setup, my computer is the entertainment centre for my lounge which I know is uncommon, but unless you have your system setup purely/primarily for gaming, it's a faff to get everything setup each time.

Finally and the thing that has condemned my CV1 to the attic, using VR is hugely antisocial. Again this admittedly isn't helped by the whole setup being in my lounge, but it's worth bearing in mind nonetheless. When I'm gaming I like to be able to speak to my wife, hear the front door or my phone and when you've got the headset on then you're pretty much dead to the world. I'll freely admit I'm a bit weird in this regard though as I know the main appeal for most people is to become fully engrossed in the sim.
I was thinking about that precisely, it is not good in a country like Spain that in summer we have 35º ambient temperature in summer ... at night.

Having a heat source radiating directly into your face and eyes can be a bad experience.

Anyway, I will buy in a store that can easily return the product in case I cannot use it

@Scaff

It seems that the best visual experience is in Pcars, but those physics and that Pcars FFB ... they never convinced me, luckily it seems that rf2 does not look so bad and this is good news, in my opinion rf2 has the the best simracing experience, the most realistic behind the wheel, but it is graphically very outdated, it is its drag.

seems to be that AC is the worst viewing experience and I was thinking VR over AC.

Maybe buying VR to run in other sims is good for me, because I have them all, and I only play assetto because that ton of mods that it has ... it always makes me come back in some way.

It is a bummer, because you are for example in rf2 enjoying the best physics that exist for a commercial simulator, and you are thinking about the cars and circuits that rf2 does not have and assetto yes.

It is a pity that Assetto has been the heir to the entire rf1 community, leaving aside rf2 and its possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about that precisely, it is not good in a country like Spain that in summer we have 35º ambient temperature in summer ... at night.

Having a heat source radiating directly into your face and eyes can be a bad experience.

Anyway, I will buy in a store that can easily return the product in case I cannot use it

@Scaff

It seems that the best visual experience is in Pcars, but those physics and that Pcars FFB ... they never convinced me, luckily it seems that rf2 does not look so bad and this is good news, in my opinion rf2 has the the best simracing experience, the most realistic behind the wheel, but it is graphically very outdated, it is its drag.

seems to be that AC is the worst viewing experience and I was thinking VR over AC.

Maybe buying VR to run in other sims is good for me, because I have them all, and I only play assetto because that ton of mods that it has ... it always makes me come back in some way.

It is a bummer, because you are for example in rf2 enjoying the best physics that exist for a commercial simulator, and you are thinking about the cars and circuits that rf2 does not have and assetto yes.

It is a pity that Assetto has been the heir to the entire rf1 community, leaving aside rf2 and its possibilities.
Having run them I would personally say I get the best VR experiences out of AC and AMS2, one thing to caution around watching back footage is that its almost always going to be captured off a second screen, and never a 100% representation of the final image quality.

AMS2 is also in my view the best around implementation of the Madness engine in VR and the title that's done the most to sort out the physics and FFB issues (and is still being worked on).

In terms of pure VR experience AC for me hits a damn good balance around quality of visuals and physics, as does AMS2. Its also possible to get the original AMS running on VR too, and that, while old graphically, runs well too and has excellent physics and some good mods as well.

I notice that now you can run 120hz mode in Oculus Link, and ASW will automatically go to 60FPS. Which is far better than 90hz's 45FPS lock when ASW is running. Turning down the resolution scale on the Quest 2 is a good way to get some fps back, using the 0.8 scale would be similar to using the CV1 but without the screendoor effect. I am now able to maintain 60FPS in VR in most cases allowing ASW to work well for 120hz. In the optimal setting, I can even reach full native 120FPS running lower-res using 2070 Super

However, running at 120hz does make the headset run even hotter.

There's what looks like a software IPD adjustment for VR headsets in CSP. Has anyone here ever tried it to fine tune their mechanical IPD? I'm wondering if it'd solve the eye strain I experienced with the Quest 2, which maxes out a few millimetres short of my ideal IPD.

hi Masscot,
I notice that now you can run 120hz mode in Oculus Link, and ASW will automatically go to 60FPS. Which is far better than 90hz's 45FPS lock when ASW is running. Turning down the resolution scale on the Quest 2 is a good way to get some fps back, using the 0.8 scale would be similar to using the CV1 but without the screendoor effect. I am now able to maintain 60FPS in VR in most cases allowing ASW to work well for 120hz. In the optimal setting, I can even reach full native 120FPS running lower-res using 2070 Super

However, running at 120hz does make the headset run even hotter.
sorry to respond so late, I just discovered this thread only now :)

I'm using Assetto w a Q2 (on a 3070) for almost 2 years now, and i reverted back from 90 or 120 Hz , preffering 72Hz stable without ASW.
This way I don't have to make compromise for quality of picture to gain extra fps. Imho the 60Hz (120++ASW) is much worse then native 72Hz.
Try setting to 72Hz mode on Pc Oculus app (and in Quest experimental settings disable 120Hz mode), and disable completely ASW (so it does not kick in sporadicly when there is a spike with no headroom. (This I do at the beginning of each Link connection session, by pressing CTRL-1, as when you disconnect Link and reconnect , ASW defaults back to Auto - and no way to change this default setting to my knowledge).

@Masscot, for your IPD question, I don't know of any IPD software adjustment app for the Q2... If you found one, I hope it does the trick for you!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back