Assetto Corsa Modder Creates Real Road Circuit Using Photogrammetry

This technique combined with an AI that can fill in the gaps in the photogrammetry would be extremely powerful.
This was exactly what I hoped GT6's GPS-based track creator was going to be back in 2013. Seeing one guy turning this out like this tells me it could certainly be done today, though likely not to Polyphony's stifling quality standards (see what finally became Track Path Editor.)

Did Kaz say we were meant to get some sort of GPS track creater in GT6?

This is still kool, image racing your work comunte

Did Kaz say we were meant to get some sort of GPS track creater in GT6?

This is still kool, image racing your work comunte
I think the "GPS" feature was for the Toyota GT86, to be used around a limited selection of real-life race tracks that were also in GT6. Then it would use GPS data to reconstruct your driving in-game.

That's from memory, at least.

I think the "GPS" feature was for the Toyota GT86, to be used around a limited selection of real-life race tracks that were also in GT6. Then it would use GPS data to reconstruct your driving in-game.

That's from memory, at least.

Yes and no, initially two GPS based features were advertised. The one you speak of, which did make it to the game as GPS Visualiser, but they also mentioned the ability to generate tracks based on GPS.

https://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-course-maker-gps-data/

Additionally, in another update we will add the possibility to generate a track by capturing the GPS coordinate data of a mobile app while you are driving that course. This GPS-generated tracks will be available in the game as playable content.”

That never happened, obviously.

Just found this today. It's kinda the reverse process of photogrammetry. A lot of it is very technical and goes over my head, but basically it uses machine learning to make game graphics more photorealistic by comparing it to footage from real life.

Exciting times ahead for sure.

The surroundings (trees) look alien but I like it. Maybe this is the future of racing games making?

Back