Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
  • 1,087,319 views
Thats not the game fault. Thats the community fault.

Methinks if there was a better car selection and a more robust online experience, the community would step things up. I'm sure it will get there eventually, considering online is still in 'beta", but seeing as the offline portion of the game doesn't provide much I hope they will upgrade the online experience sooner rather than later.

They could also take a page from R3E's book, their online is still in "alpha" stage but what they've done is already setup a bunch of servers with preselected car/track combo's that are always running with a cycle of practice/qualifying/race. Anyone can join these servers at any time and the whole procedure happens automatically, so nobody has to pay to host a server or take the time to setup car/track combos. It works nicely, though it's a bit limited because that's the only option they currently offer (though dedicated servers are also in the pipeline for the near future).


Just to be clear, I'm not bashing AC. I realize it's still early in its life and will likely get better with time, it's just lacking a bit right now. Most of my point of view is due to my own expectations combined with bad timing, which isn't AC's fault. For years I've heard legends and lore about how awesome PC sims are and how much better they are than Gran Turismo and how they have so many more options and features and content. It all sounded incredibly enticing and set my expectations high. Unfortunately I decided to make the jump to PC's when sims are in the middle of a transition period, old games like rFactor and Race07 (the sims legends were made of) are past their prime and the new batch of "next gen" games aren't up to those standards (or even released) yet. This isn't the sims' fault, just bad timing on my part combined with unfounded expectations. But it has been a big let down to find that the current sims (outside of physics/ffb) don't even measure up to GT6 in most ways. Eventually we'll see the new glory days of PC sims, but unless pCars hits it out of the park on release we're still a ways away from those days. Oh well.

One of the main reasons I bought a PC was so I could have decent AI to race with when there weren't any online races happening and R3E/GSCE fill that role nicely so I'm still satisfied overall. And AC scratches my itch for having a drive on long, windy, hilly roads with all the hill climb mods, and for racing online with friends, so I've got my money's worth from it. 👍

Here's to the future. :cheers:
 
The big point one must learn is that a sim is not necessarily a game. Sims, and here I pretty much mean the products from ISI and Kunos, aren't much as games and thats ok. There are other companies and products to fill other spots in the marketplace.
Brandon, you might also like the Historix mod for rFactor; lots of cars all of which are very well done with great built in championships. Most with different cars within the same class and some multiclass championships. It is the only rfactor installation I kept on my pc since AC came out. I still boot it up weekly for a Targa Floria fix.

As a by and by, I've been racing the Lotus 49 in AC recently, and it is absolutely sublime @ Monza'66. (Longford, Solitude, and the coming Albi are great but not quite as immersive as Kunos's Monza'66)

Also did you know you can create your own Career content in AC?
 
The big point one must learn is that a sim is not necessarily a game. Sims, and here I pretty much mean the products from ISI and Kunos, aren't much as games and thats ok. There are other companies and products to fill other spots in the marketplace.
Brandon, you might also like the Historix mod for rFactor; lots of cars all of which are very well done with great built in championships. Most with different cars within the same class and some multiclass championships. It is the only rfactor installation I kept on my pc since AC came out. I still boot it up weekly for a Targa Floria fix.

As a by and by, I've been racing the Lotus 49 in AC recently, and it is absolutely sublime @ Monza'66. (Longford, Solitude, and the coming Albi are great but not quite as immersive as Kunos's Monza'66)

Also did you know you can create your own Career content in AC?

I understand the difference between a sim and a game. But older sims like rFactor, Race07/GTR, and even GSCE offer more than AC or R3E offer at the moment, so I don't think it's unreasonable to (eventually) expect that from AC. Maybe they'll get there eventually, but they don't seem to be in too big of a hurry.

I've seen videos of rFactor, looks pretty rough nowadays, and I don't have much interest in investing in it. At this point I'm trying not to put too much into sims that don't/won't have a decent online community, and I'm sure if there's any community left for rFactor it's on the decline. I have the SimBin collection and like it well enough, but don't bother playing it because it looks a bit dated and doesn't have any future to it.

Yes, I've seen the career creator, but I have as much interest in racing the AC AI as I do chasing the GT6 rabbits (which is none). Just about every AI race I've done in AC goes down one of two ways: 1) I'm in the lead by the end of the first lap and win by half a lap, or 2) I'm in third place by the second or third turn and stare at the tail lights of first and second place as they jot off into the distance. Some of the one-make races are ok, but any of the races with mixed makes seem to be incredibly unbalanced.
 
I've seen videos of rFactor, looks pretty rough nowadays, and I don't have much interest in investing in it. At this point I'm trying not to put too much into sims that don't/won't have a decent online community, and I'm sure if there's any community left for rFactor it's on the decline. I have the SimBin collection and like it well enough, but don't bother playing it because it looks a bit dated and doesn't have any future to it.

Community like this?
 
Thats not the game fault. Thats the community fault.


methink theres not enough servers.. Its always... always... the same servers.... Nothing new... no variety.
 
Fair enough. But how much longer are they going to continue using the old rFactor? I would have to presume it's going to continue to dwindle as current sims get better and new sims come out. I guess I just have a hard time thinking I spent nearly two grand on new equipment to play 6-8 year old sims. My current strategy is to just enjoy the three sims I have until we see how PCars measures up. Expectations for it are high, but we'll see how close it gets to meeting those expectations.

Again, just my opinion on the current state of things and that's not meant to imply that others should share my opinions or that I think less of them for having a different opinion. We all want/expect/enjoy different things from these sims. I still get plenty of enjoyment from what I have, it's just not what I expected it to be.
 
Fair enough. But how much longer are they going to continue using the old rFactor? I would have to presume it's going to continue to dwindle as current sims get better and new sims come out. My current strategy is to just enjoy the three sims I have until we see how PCars measures up. Expectations for it are high, but we'll see how close it gets to meeting those expectations.

Again, just my opinion on the current state of things and that's not meant to imply that others should share my opinions or that I think less of them for having a different opinion. We all want/expect/enjoy different things from these sims. I still get plenty of enjoyment from what I have, it's just not what I expected it to be.


RFactor 1 has not much people in it... Theres not really any public "servers"... all of them are empty.. Except a fire.. Like DirtRacing. And the rest are league racing. Locked servers... :\. Used to have much more players last summer. ;s
 
methink theres not enough servers.. Its always... always... the same servers.... Nothing new... no variety.
There are servers with other cars. People go to those?? No. So... Community's fault. I often find a good formula abarth server, or lately the KTM x-Bow R servers. And they both are great. And M3 DTM. There are servers online with other cars, but the masses only want to drive the same combo, so... miracle can't happen
 
There are servers with other cars. People go to those?? No. So... Community's fault. I often find a good formula abarth server, or lately the KTM x-Bow R servers. And they both are great. And M3 DTM. There are servers online with other cars, but the masses only want to drive the same combo, so... miracle can't happen


I found a great Lotus 49, and M3 DTM server but there rare to find :\.

600+ not enough?


90% are locked/ password
 
600+ not enough?

Whenever I've looked at the server list there's maybe a dozen or so open servers that have anybody in them, and about half of those are running GT3's at Spa. And I never know if Random's like me are welcome in them or not (I presume not).

Anyway, I'm going to bow out now as I don't want to bring down the thread (that was never my intention in the first place). Enjoy. :cheers:
 
Ever thought of giving iracing a go then?

Yes, I hate the way it feels and how the cars constantly want to spin, and how you get punished for other people crashing you or touching a blade of grass. I have a membership until February of 2016, but I doubt I'll bother with it again.
 
Yes, I hate the way it feels and how the cars constantly want to spin, .

Same here, I tried I(ce)racing and did not like the way you have to drive, I concluded that it is more about the competition and simulating the competition, nothing wrong with that, than simulating driving a (race) car. Iracing enthusiasts eventually develop the (new) skills required to go fast and enjoy racing each other, all good, but not for me.
What I particularly enjoy about AC, over any other SIM, is that , to me, it is the closest I have felt to actually drive a car, the physic and the FFB ( once it is properly set up it is just spot on)( on a CSR Elite at least) allow me to be closer to being there without being there. Still far from the real thing but closer. Adding to that all the cars and the mods, allowing to drive all my favorites on almost any existing( and fantasy) track, and AC to me is SIM heaven.
I have to admit also enjoying the AI, they drive as if they owned the car, just like I do, all other AI in other SIM , to me , drive like SIM racer, I do not mean that as a compliment.:). I do not mind waiting 5 or 6 laps for an opportunity to pass, you can call it tantric racing if you want, I just love it.
I read a lot of people would prefer having a party around the track, not me, my experience of tracks, is track days and since I am not a famous driver, my wife or my daughter might be watching from the pits, but there is not much action around the track except for a few marshals, I have no problem with that, when I drive I concentrate on apex, I cannot prevent myself from thinking, if someone sees so much of the side show on the track they might not be driving with the proper FOV.
A long post, but I had to clear a little steam as often I find the magic feeling of driving in AC is clouded by comments that pertains more to games that SIM, and AC, like Netkar Pro before him is first and foremost a (driving) SIM and it is the way I (and I do not think I am alone) like it.
 
Last edited:
Same here, I tried I(ce)racing and did not like the way you have to drive, I concluded that it is more about the competition and simulating the competition, nothing wrong with that, than simulating driving a (race) car. Iracing enthusiasts eventually develop the (new) skills required to go fast and enjoy racing each other, all good, but not for me.
What I particularly enjoy about AC, over any other SIM, is that , to me, it the closest I have felt to actually drive a car, the physic and the FFB ( once it is properly set up it is just spot on)( on a CSR Elite at least) allow me to be closer to being there without being there. Still far from the real thing but closer. Adding to that all the cars and the mods, allowing to drive all my favorites on almost any existing( and fantasy) track, and AC to me is SIM heaven.
I have to admit also enjoying the AI, they drive as if they owned the car, just like I do, all other AI in other SIM , to me , drive like SIM racer, I do not mean that as a compliment.:). I do not mind waiting 5 or 6 laps for an opportunity to pass, you can call it tantric racing if you want, I just love it.
I read a lot of people would prefer having a party around the track, not me, my experience of tracks, is track days and since I am not a famous driver, my wife or my daughter might be watching from the pits, but there is not much action around the track except for a few marshals, I have no problem with that, when I drive I concentrate on apex, I cannot prevent myself from thinking, if someone sees so much of the side show on the track they might not be driving with the proper FOV.
A long post, but I had to clear a little steam as often I find the magic feeling of driving in AC is clouded by comments that pertains more to games that SIM, and AC, like Netkar Pro before him is first and foremost a (driving) SIM and it is the way I (and I do not think I am alone) like it.
I cannot help but agree with this:tup:. Having played GT exclusively for 4 years I do find a lot lacking in AC obviously. Weather, day/night etc. For me personally, the joy of driving more than makes up for it. I hated hotlapping in GT for the most part, preferring to race online with punters rather than drive around alone, but in AC I'm quite content so far to pick up cars and drive them around various tracks alone or in some of the races I've run so far. The feeling of driving just feels so right. You get into a race car and it feels like a race car. You get into an F40 and it feels completely different to the racecar and like you would think an F40 might feel. The limited tuning I've done so far tells me that things tend to work the way they are supposed to work.

I do understand much of the criticism about AC being incomplete, about the AI and all of that. All valid of course. But I think it's also valid to look at games in context. I expect GT to have a lot of stuff, but not be too refined. Big budget, lots of cars, appeal to the masses and all that. If you're looking for a lot of stuff it's a great game. If you're looking to really dig into the physics side of things and really dig driving a car like a real car, yeah, not so much. AC on the other hand I see as a sort of niche' player. Good physics, good FFB and a good driving experience but not intending to be a full on sim racer nor would I expect it to be coming from such a small team on a small budget. In AC I feel like I'm in control of the car. When I make a mistake I never say to myself, "what they heck just happened", because the FFB/sound/visual has already told me what mistake I made. When you reach the limit you really get the feeling that you can make the care dance
smiley-dance017.gif
. Just a little deeper with the brakes into the corner to get some more bite on the front end - accelerate a bit earlier and control the oversteer - ride that curb but keep the steering pointed straight to avoid being thrown about - a little more camber on the front for some more lateral grip - tap the brakes to pitch the weight forward - trail some throttle to control entry oversteer...yeah it all seems to work just the way you'd expect it.

PCars is portraying itself to be the complete sim racer and that's the criteria I will gauge it with. I expect it to hit all the marks:odd:

I'm not a big fan of iRacing either. I tried it around the same time as Brandon and didn't really enjoy the way the cars felt nor the whole dry feeling I got from the races. I get the appeal if you really get into it, I just don't think it's for me at this point. :(
 
Last edited:
I agree with all the above. :cheers: Just because I'm critical of it doesn't mean I don't enjoy it for what it is and as I get more involved with online racing a lot of those criticisms will be pushed aside. It's more of a global thing with me, I had expectations for PC sims and a lot of them haven't been met yet in the sims I've tried. But I've only tried a few so that's more of a Brandon problem than a sims problem. We just happen to be in a period where the good sims are old and the new sims still have a ways to go. Things will change for the better over time and they're all more enjoyable than GT. If nothing else, it's quite refreshing to have so many options instead of just one good one and a bunch of crap ones. 👍
 
Having recently upgraded to a 28" 4K monitor running 60 Hz I can tell you it would be very difficult to go to a system running ¼th the resolution of AC.

I was reading that AC does everything (including physics calculations) in multiples of 50 rather than 60. Considering this, it was suggested that a 50Hz capable display will be smoother running 50Hz instead of 60Hz in game.

In contrast, iRacing apparently runs at multiples of 60.
 
I was reading that AC does everything (including physics calculations) in multiples of 50 rather than 60. Considering this, it was suggested that a 50Hz capable display will be smoother running 50Hz instead of 60Hz in game.

In contrast, iRacing apparently runs at multiples of 60.
Hmmm, could that be why it seems to run just a tad smoother at 100hz than 120?
 
10431291_1066909956668655_251500424513012577_o.jpg


New preview of the Alfa Romeo 4C at the Nordschleife. Also, Kunos reiterates that the Dream Pack is still slated for release on Q1 2015. Meanwhile Kunos is also working on free updates for AC that will include, and I quote: "race flags, rules, overcast conditions, AI and FPS optimizations". They also mention they are working on bonus cars that will be available, for free, as they are finished.
 
F488 GTB ! (Yes, I am dreaming, I know)
 
Back