Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
This is a PS4 question for me, but I'm thinking it might be a general thing. A few different times in the past month or so, I was in a practice or qualifying session and would get the "current lap invalidated" message as if I ran off course even though I was only touching curb (or maybe not even touching curb!)

At that time I figured maybe lag had something to do with it, where even if my connection is good, the hosts is bad. So in the same way that you might see someone with bad lag skittering about fore/aft/side to side, I might have been doing that same thing to whatever server was doling out penalties. And this lag doppleganger got me the penalty. Wouldn't take a big jump if the server was set to 0 tires out.

I've never seen or heard this discussed about AC, or any racing game. Curious if it's been brought up before.

This is a PS4 question for me, but I'm thinking it might be a general thing. A few different times in the past month or so, I was in a practice or qualifying session and would get the "current lap invalidated" message as if I ran off course even though I was only touching curb (or maybe not even touching curb!)

At that time I figured maybe lag had something to do with it, where even if my connection is good, the hosts is bad. So in the same way that you might see someone with bad lag skittering about fore/aft/side to side, I might have been doing that same thing to whatever server was doling out penalties. And this lag doppleganger got me the penalty. Wouldn't take a big jump if the server was set to 0 tires out.

I've never seen or heard this discussed about AC, or any racing game. Curious if it's been brought up before.

Instinctively I would have imagined the penalties would be handled locally for much the reason you've suggested, pinging across location data at whatever interval to a server in order for it to judge penalties doesn't seem sensible when it's already programmed and handled by the local game code.

This does raise the question of whether it could be tampered with if local however, and perhaps that may be motivation to have the location / orientation information transmitted (as it would have to be anyway) and then have the server judge penalties to ensure consistency...

Personally I would go for the former implementation and spend time ensuring there are reasonable checks on the client's code to verify it hadn't been tampered with (again, which would already need to be there).

So in conclusion, I don't know what caused the penalty, feel free to ignore my rambling!

I, personally, haven't encountered anything like that oh the PC, but to be honest I don't venture my self much into the online world. There was a couple of times, offline, that I went a little over the white line and it invalidated my lap.

It has sold more or less the same as the PC version. Stefano said that there are over 1 million users on August. Digital Bross said Assetto Corsa has sold 1.4 million copies in March. Steam Spy, that according to some developers it's very reliable over 30k sales, says Assetto Corsa has sold 600k on PC.

I would say the percentage of copies sold on PC is near the 40%.
If those numbers are accurate that's far higher than I imagined it would be. Fantastic news for them and I hope it means bigger and better for AC2!

One thing I noticed about Assetto Corsa is the tire model. Looking at the Assetto Corsa Content Manager program, I note "replace tires/tyres." Are there certain tire models that play into how all or most cars handle? Is it possible to have a certain tire model that works best for the cars?

This looks like assetto ('18 roc track and ktm x-bow comp R)

26869244_354624438346934_7937836179964035072_n.jpg

wonder if kunos got officially involved in all of this . .

One thing I noticed about Assetto Corsa is the tire model. Looking at the Assetto Corsa Content Manager program, I note "replace tires/tyres." Are there certain tire models that play into how all or most cars handle? Is it possible to have a certain tire model that works best for the cars?
Every official Kunos car is on Tire Model version 10. All of those cars have had tires created for whichever car they are on and that's it. As far as Kunos cars are concerned, I don't believe there is a single shared tire, except of things like BMW E92 & BMW E92 drift or somthing like that where it IS the same exact car just a different setup by Kunos. So, you don't ever want to replace tires on a Kunos car.

Modded cars are different. Most of the good mod cars are also now on TM10, while some still linger on TM7 (there was no 8 or 9) and even worse you might find an abandoned mod car that's on TM4 or something ridiculous like that. Let's say that is the case. You found this awesome 1970's Camaro, but it's on TM4 and you'd like to get it onto the current TM10. This is where you can use this Replace Tires tool in Content Manager. That tool is going to look at every single car in your /cars/ folder and extract the basic tire information for you to examine. The tires are graded A thru F (A being the best match and F the worst match). The tires receive a grade based on how well a particular set of tires matches the set of tires you're trying to replace. Let's say that 1970 Camaro has front tires of 235/20/R16 (Street). If there happens to be a different car's tire from one of the car's that is not your 1970 Camaro if it too uses tires in the front 235/20/R16 (Street) you've got yourself a perfect match! Right? Well, not so fast because you want to also make sure the car who's tires you're trying to get put on your Camaro has approximately the same weight & power. It doesn't have to be a perfect match and it usually isn't.

Maybe you had a 1972 Camaro already and it happens to have 245/20/R16 (Street) tires. Well, you can see that these tires are 10mm wider than what you currently have. In this case, Content Manager would probably give that match a grade of B since it's not completely perfect. For the most part, I don't recommend using the Replace Tyres tool unless you really know what you're doing and you have a basic idea of how tires work in Assetto Corsa (how they're defined in the physics file). I still have quite a few mod cars on Tire Model 7 and that's because I can't find an exact perfect match of tire size, car weight and performance. I would probably end up doing myself a disservice and make the car feel less realistic.

I fell asleep on my recliner about 26 hours ago. My laptop sits besides me so I can have the wheel in front of me. So yes, it's like I'm sleeping in my rig. :lol: I have a short set of drawers on the side of the recliner, I use that as a table top for drinks and whatnot. I woke up having just knocked over the big cup of Powerade I had by my side. I spilled about 16-20oz of Powerade right onto the keyboard of my running laptop. I somehow hit the power button with my finger, holding it long enough to kill power and I ripped the power cable from the laptop as well. I sat there holding the laptop with screen open but rotated 90 degrees, the liquid was streaming out of the exhaust. I just destroyed a $2600 laptop. :banghead:

I figured I would at least try to save the ssd's, so I unscrewed two screws from the bottom which allowed me to slide the big cover that sits between my keyboard and monitor. That's where my 3 ssd's are. I had to go to my mother for a hair dryer as I don't keep one handy. I blew cool air into the exposed laptop trying to reach every hidden crevice where fluid could be. Perhaps I should have waited longer, but I was so upset I just needed to get it over with.. Pushed the power button and this mofo booted up like a champ! :D :bowdown: 🤬 :P WTF?!?! This is the second time I spilled a drink all over - first time was a Commodore 64 when I was a kid...dried that one out too and it ran for years.

A couple of my mechanical keyboard keys were really sticky. The A &Z were probably the most sticky, but they didn't stay pressed so I just kept pressing & releasing over and over and those seem to be doing okay now. I won't be surprised if I discover another issue, but at least I didn't have to hrow the entire laptop away. I am so freakin' lucky. Anyone wanna buy a laptop?? :D

You slept for 26 hours?

Kidding and glad to hear all seems okay...for now.
No buy on the laptop for me I'm still trying to source a PC tower to play AC with.
Feel like I'm missing out on quite a bit with the PS4.

How does the mods work exactly?

Do you buy the cars and tracks individually and are able to use them forever?

Are they reasonably priced?

I woke up having just knocked over the big cup of Powerade I had by my side. I spilled about 16-20oz of Powerade right onto the keyboard of my running laptop.

Similar thing happened to me. A whole can of Coke got spilled onto my laptop keyboard. Ruined the whole computer.

When it come to AC vs. GTS. I'm going to make the switch from Console to PC. The modding community is just too vast. Plus I can continue building roads using the Rcetrack Builder program.
http://www.racetrackbuilder.com/

How does the mods work exactly?

Do you buy the cars and tracks individually and are able to use them forever?

Are they reasonably priced?

Some are payware and you keep them forever. It depends on the team who mods them. URD stuff is amazing and usually come in packs and are reasonably priced.

But about 90% of mods are free, but then again some are really amazing quality and scratch made (A3DR is a stand out name off top of my head). Lilsky is also a very known name for scratch built tracks.

There are conversions that usually need to have permisson from original creators. These cars and tracks come usually come from rFactor.

Then there are really questionable mods. Some have many hours put into them to improve their physics and such, these usually are ripped from other games bit by bit like Forza and such.

Of course some geniuses can overcharge payware and to make matters worse, charge rips that they don't have any rights to.

Some are payware and you keep them forever. It depends on the team who mods them. URD stuff is amazing and usually come in packs and are reasonably priced.

But about 90% of mods are free, but then again some are really amazing quality and scratch made (A3DR is a stand out name off top of my head). Lilsky is also a very known name for scratch built tracks.

There are conversions that usually need to have permisson from original creators. These cars and tracks come usually come from rFactor.

Then there are really questionable mods. Some have many hours put into them to improve their physics and such, these usually are ripped from other games bit by bit like Forza and such.

Of course some geniuses can overcharge payware and to make matters worse, charge rips that they don't have any rights to.

Thanks for that information, I'll need to do some research.
The only game I really play anymore is AC (some WW2 COD) so it just makes sense to get off console.

The only thing that makes me wanna consider a PC is VR in AC! Damn!
It's the most incredible thing, it really is.
Still blows me away every time I race.
I went back and did some 2D testing and image capturing for that flag mod recently, and driving in 2D again felt flat, lifeless, restrictive, ugly, boring, and lots of other derogatory words. I sometimes wonder how I ever got into sim racing on a 2D display. VR signals a tipping point from which there's no return, unless you are happy to downgrade the overall experience considerably.

If they included a system similar to that of GT Sport to integrate the servers of the consoles with those of the computers, allowing access to the same mods, cars and tracks, would be a great accomplishment that would increase the sales of that game, in any way, not It's hard to dream..

Nice! I feel like some ROC after watching. You got a link for this track or is it not public?
no idea, sorry :(

by the way, the iracing/assetto simracer (enzo bonito, on the left) won the eroc final against brendon leigh (f1 esports champion)

"Earlier in the day Enzo Bonito came out on top in the first ever eROC competition between some of the world’s fastest gamers. The action took place both in real-life ROC Cars on the Riyadh track and in the virtual world of Assetto Corsa. The Italian saw off the challenge of Britain’s F1 eSports World Champion Brendon Leigh in an enthralling final to win his place on the grid for the ROC Nations Cup and the Race Of Champions. French gamer Kevin Leaune and Germany’s Alexander Dornieden also performed well but were knocked out in the group stages."

@Corsa 99% of the mods are free. Some modders ask for a donation, but it's not mandatory. I've sent $10 here and there - to modders I think are making amazing mods for us, but that's my choice. Websites like Race Department are going to have mostly AAA quality mods. Occasionally a stinker gets in because it fits in the rules, but usually the stinkers are still works in progress (except for old, abandoned mods). Assetto Land is strictly AC Cars and they're all for free.

Back