Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Hmmm...If you can get that kind of performance with a single GTX970 I would venture a guess that 2 GTX965-SLI cards should be able to push a steady, usable frame rate...right?

SLI does not work in VR. But if you stick with a less demanding DK2 and don’t mind ASW kicking in when needed, I don’t mind ASW, you might find out your set up is already good enough for a trial. Maybe the trial will turn into a long term partnership, like what happened with my set up.

SLI does not work in VR. But if you stick with a less demanding DK2 and don’t mind ASW kicking in when needed, I don’t mind ASW, you might find out your set up is already good enough for a trial. Maybe the trial will turn into a long term partnership, like what happened with my set up.
I force ASW so it runs all the time. I have absolutely no problem with it at all.

Get VR instead and never look back.

Actually, looking back is one of the main benefits ...
I sat whereby basically my pedals were about 10cm in front of a 50" TV, so my head was probably 1.4m maybe?

Either way, VR makes that irrelevant, it is better in a way you can't really grasp until you've used it.

Interestingly I had a friend over to try AC for the first time having never sim raced.

In 2D he went too fast, braked too late etc, put a VR headset on and he immediately drove slowly and with appreciation of the circuit.

It's a totally different experience.

I’m relatively familiar with VR and I like it so much. The problem is that I’m on PS4 and don’t want to pay a lot for a good gaming PC (especially with current sky rocket prices of the GPUs) and a triple screen or a decent VR.

I tried Assetto on the occulus CV1 on a motion seat some months ago and it was awesome.

I even have a PSVR that i enjoying playing some Dirt rally and Granturismo sport on. Too bad assetto and projects cars 2 arent a go on the psvr.

The thing is that, although i love it, i still have some issues with VR: mainly the low resolution, the not so confortable experience and the excessive immersion.
1- Low resolution, not because I’m a graphics geek, I’m not but because it really affects the overall experience and may cause some practical issues (like starring my eyes out to see if that braking sign is a 50m or 100m from a distance). Legibility is a big issue.
2- Not so confortable experience meaning the eyes strain and the not so ideal distance you’re using your eyes on. Whether we like it or not, there will be eyes strain, even when we don’t feel it. Over long sessions, i didn’t feel any nausea but only slight discomfort for my eyes. Thankfully i have good vision and no issues whatsoever with my eyes.
3- Excessive immersion meaning complete disconnection with the real world. I have kids and sometimes, even if I’m on headphones, i can still use my eyes/turning head quickly to check on everything. VR doesn’t allow that at all, and with headphones you’re practically isolated from the outside world.

With all that said, the new Vive pro got my attention too much. I like the higher resolution and maybe those cameras on the front for augmented reality.
Who knows, maybe it’ll be mine someday!

Excessive immersion

I have to agree with you, compare to VR every thing else is just a game.:D
The VR manufacturer should be obligated to put some kind of a warning, something like “the excessive immersion you will be subjected to in VR will change how you see gaming forever, can be overly addictive and destroy your social life”:scared:

I was looking through the game files instead of doing homework and I found these...

end.png

Even better...

start.png

Regarding motion sickness, first time I tried VR in GT Sport I couldn't get to the second turn... Even the simple nose diving of the car under braking was enough to make me wanna puke.
Very quickly, though, I got used to it and a couple of tries later I was driving for 1+ hours without any brake.

The same happened with DiRT Rally. Even at a time when I was already familiar with VR in GT, I couldn't drive more than a few hundred meters at one time. But again, quickly I got used to it.

My point is that I'm guessing each game will need some getting used to, but one should easily adapt to it.

I'll also add that I suffer from severe motion sickness in real life. Can't travel in a car without being in the front seats.

To the VR drivers of AC, did you have any side effects from running a decent length session such as nausea, dizziness or AIDS?

My first few weeks with VR I kinda had to limit my sessions to 60-90 minutes, if I played longer than that I'd start to get a woozy feeling that could hang around for a couple hours. But as my brain got used to VR that all started to go away and now I can play for 3+ hours straight without a hint of wooziness, discomfort, or eye strain.

To the VR drivers of AC, did you have any side effects from running a decent length session such as nausea, dizziness or AIDS?

I have been driving with VR now for some time and still rarely big altitude changes on tracks causes my stomach to go upside down - because these are so much better visualized with VR. Especially Nordschleife is causing this. But it has been getting better and better with time and currently this is most likely to happen when I have not eaten or drink ( water :) ) properly.

I went on somewhat of a Ferrari F1 trip today along with spending more time on the Vallelunga course. Some of the Ferrari F1 cars I haven't raced previously were raced by me tonight. You obviously have to have the Ferrari pack to know of the vehicles I am referencing to.

Anyhow, I tried the 312/67 first. If you know anything about me, I love '60s F1 cars. So it was a real treat to try to race this thing. While I don't mind classics, they can be very tough to drive. This one was surely a handful even with a gamepad and various driver aids turned on. It does sound and look great regardless. I then took on the F138. It was rather tough to keep on the road, but I did manage to get some good handling performance out of it. Even more great performance was had when I used the F2004. I managed to pull a 1:33.396 at Vallelunga with the F2004. It was tough to wrestle the SF15-T for me. Finally, that SF70H is a beast! I only managed a 1:43.173 around Vallelunga.

Though I did mostly F1 cars from Ferrari, I even tried out the Lotus 98T. I recall using the Lotus 98T in Gran Turismo 6, but this is a much different animal in Assetto Corsa. One thing I can say is how lovely this car sounds in action. I seem to "have a thing" for late '80s, early '90s F1 cars. This car did bring a smile to my face as I was zooming around Vallelunga.

I still will recommend "Assetto Corsa" to anyone who may be curious as to whether or not get it... at least the PC version.

I have been driving with VR now for some time and still rarely big altitude changes on tracks causes my stomach to go upside down - because these are so much better visualized with VR. Especially Nordschleife is causing this. But it has been getting better and better with time and currently this is most likely to happen when I have not eaten or drink ( water :) ) properly.

Have you tried turning on 'lock to horizon'? I found this totally removed any unpleasant sensations when bouncing sharply up / down steep gradients, and also made road camber and so on 'feel' much more real

I very highly doubt that. It’ll take them lots of time.
It may be an esport event which is what the name AC competizione implies and not a new sequel. That’s my thoughts anyways.
That's very possible. It could also be the unveiling of their next project though. What is interesting though, lets say your guess is correct. What does this mean for the console crew? We can't even get a good kick feature, how is this going to work for console or are they going to ignore us?

I managed to pull a 1:33.396 at Vallelunga with the F2004. It was tough to wrestle the SF15-T for me. Finally, that SF70H is a beast! I only managed a 1:43.173 around Vallelunga.

Keep practicing and you should be able to set the fastest times in the SF70H.

Thank you all for sharing your VR experiences with me. Well, I definitely won't go SLI on my next computer since VR doesn't support it.

I went on somewhat of a Ferrari F1 trip today along with spending more time on the Vallelunga course. Some of the Ferrari F1 cars I haven't raced previously were raced by me tonight. You obviously have to have the Ferrari pack to know of the vehicles I am referencing to.

Anyhow, I tried the 312/67 first. If you know anything about me, I love '60s F1 cars. So it was a real treat to try to race this thing. While I don't mind classics, they can be very tough to drive. This one was surely a handful even with a gamepad and various driver aids turned on. It does sound and look great regardless. I then took on the F138. It was rather tough to keep on the road, but I did manage to get some good handling performance out of it. Even more great performance was had when I used the F2004. I managed to pull a 1:33.396 at Vallelunga with the F2004. It was tough to wrestle the SF15-T for me. Finally, that SF70H is a beast! I only managed a 1:43.173 around Vallelunga.

Though I did mostly F1 cars from Ferrari, I even tried out the Lotus 98T. I recall using the Lotus 98T in Gran Turismo 6, but this is a much different animal in Assetto Corsa. One thing I can say is how lovely this car sounds in action. I seem to "have a thing" for late '80s, early '90s F1 cars. This car did bring a smile to my face as I was zooming around Vallelunga.

I still will recommend "Assetto Corsa" to anyone who may be curious as to whether or not get it... at least the PC version.
Did you try the Lotus 98T on 100% Turbo? If you are driving with full damage turned on you'll most likely blow your engine if you try to use it an entire lap, although I have never tried. I love the turbo lag in that car...Ferocious!

Have you tried turning on 'lock to horizon'? I found this totally removed any unpleasant sensations when bouncing sharply up / down steep gradients, and also made road camber and so on 'feel' much more real
What the heck IS 'lock to horizon'? I turned it on once and even though I couldn't tell exactly what was happening it just felt weird so I quit halfway through a lap and never touched it again.

Oh, and can someone tell me what this Hard Lock feature is for our steering wheels?

What the heck IS 'lock to horizon'? I turned it on once and even though I couldn't tell exactly what was happening it just felt weird so I quit halfway through a lap and never touched it again.

Yes the 'lock to horizon' may be better at first for feeling sick but it just seems so weird when running on banked circuits like Daytona or even Carousel on Nordschleife. I have now grown better stomach for VR so I think I stick with this option not enabled.

I've been trying to use the proper FOV in Assetto Corsa, and I love that I feel more in control and find the car easier to place on the track. I just can't get use to not having as wide a field of view. When running at Monza, the first chicane always has me running too wide or I have to slow down to a crawl just to make the turn. And to tell the truth, 15MPH in first feels kind of quick for that chicane.

I'm using a Project Immersion FOV calculator by Mr. Fix and I'm playing on a 27" 6:9 panel, that's about 31" from my eyes. How do people become proficient with a similar setup?

I've been trying to use the proper FOV in Assetto Corsa, and I love that I feel more in control and find the car easier to place on the track. I just can't get use to not having as wide a field of view. When running at Monza, the first chicane always has me running too wide or I have to slow down to a crawl just to make the turn. And to tell the truth, 15MPH in first feels kind of quick for that chicane.

I'm using a Project Immersion FOV calculator by Mr. Fix and I'm playing on a 27" 6:9 panel, that's about 31" from my eyes. How do people become proficient with a similar setup?
I know it sucks in some ways, but I highly recommend using the mathematically correct FOV for driving. I run AC at 30° and I technically should be even lower - probably 24 or 25 because of how crap my setup is. 55" LCD TV running at 1920x1080...my eyes are 8 ft or more from the screen. It's a ridiculous setup, I know.

I know it sucks in some ways, but I highly recommend using the mathematically correct FOV for driving. I run AC at 30° and I technically should be even lower - probably 24 or 25 because of how crap my setup is. 55" LCD TV running at 1920x1080...my eyes are 8 ft or more from the screen. It's a ridiculous setup, I know.
Excuse my curiosity but why do you sit that far away from the screen!?
I sit 1m away (about 3.3ft) from my 46” 1080p TV and i feel I’m far away from it. I’m planning on getting a 55” 4k TV to install it about 70 to 80cm away from my face to get much higher FOV.

If I'm not wrong your FOV is 24.1º(vFOV) which is very small. :scared:
I have 32" monitor 20" from my eyes which is 42.83º(vFOV) and I have wide enough field of view.

I wonder if the FOV calculations have a cut off point. I play the game in my living room, and I’m 7 feet away from 47” screen. I tried the mathematically correct FOV, and I don’t like it. I believe the FOV calculation is trying to replicate your view from inside a car. My eyes are not 7 feet away from the windshield when I’m in my car.
Excuse my curiosity but why do you sit that far away from the screen!?
I sit 1m away (about 3.3ft) from my 46” 1080p TV and i feel I’m far away from it. I’m planning on getting a 55” 4k TV to install it about 70 to 80cm away from my face to get much higher FOV.
Likely because the screen is not part of a rig. Like me, I’m guessing he is playing in his living room.

I wonder if the FOV calculations have a cut off point. I play the game in my living room, and I’m 7 feet away from 47” screen. I tried the mathematically correct FOV, and I don’t like it. I believe the FOV calculation is trying to replicate your view from inside a car. My eyes are not 7 feet away from the windshield when I’m in my car.

Likely because the screen is not part of a rig. Like me, I’m guessing he is playing in his living room.

To the 1st part of your reply, yes it's exactly that! Imagine that your tv is your window to the external world. The closer you get to it, the more you see outside and of your car. The further you get, the less you see.

To the 2nd part, i say i also play in the living room and the tv is not attached to my DIY chair. I simply sit as close as possible. I install and remover my seat each time as needed.

Last edited:
To the 2nd part, i say i also play in the living room and the tv is not attached to my DIY chair. I simply sit as close as possible. I install and removermy seat each time as needed.
^This.

I have GT Omega stand that I put in front of my couch when I play. So the mathematically correct FOV may not apply to me. I am able to find seat position and FOV for each car to give me a sense of immersion.

Calculated FOV only make sense if you are close enough to a big enough screen. It is very well documented on Mr Pix web site, which is a must read for anyone interested on the subject. It also need to be understood that even in the best conditions, ie close enough to a big enough screen, calculated FOV is just an indication on where to start and the adjust it by feel.
7 feet away is way to far to even start thinking about calculated FOV, no calculation can compensate driving 7 feet away from the windshield. Just enjoy the drive.
If you want to get an idea of what Calculated FOV can do for your driving experience, your face need to get about 3 feet away from the screen.
I played with FOV a lot before VR, I was about 3 feet from a 100 inch projected screen, which yielded a fairly immersive 1/1 calculated FOV.
Since VR, I now understand that calculated FOV needs to be taken with a grain of salt, as the real solution to 1/1 FOV is VR.

@Cote Dazur - Yep, I arrived at that same conclusion when I researched mathematically correct FOV on Mr Pix website. The calculation on the website doesn’t even account for 7 feet away from screen. I’m happy with my in-game seat position and FOV.

If I'm not wrong your FOV is 24.1º(vFOV) which is very small. :scared:
I have 32" monitor 20" from my eyes which is 42.83º(vFOV) and I have wide enough field of view.
Yeah, I got to figure out some way to put the monitor in between my eyes and my steering wheel to get at least 90°. I'm going to unblock my pedals and move them 8" further under my desk. That'll put my wheel into my chest, but that should put me at about 27" away or so...

If I don't like the new seating position, I'll just crawl back under the desk and put the blocks back.

One thing about running with a low FOV setting. I really get the scale of everything. For example, I use to think the KTM X-Bow was about as big as a Alfa Giuletta, but once I attempted to fix the FOV, I realized how small it actually is. Pretty neat, IMO.

Last edited:
Back