Assetto Corsa vs. PCars 2 vs GTS: Physics, FFB

• Thread starter Fredzy
  • 361 comments
Just to add on @ALB123 comment, which I agree with, is that an other difference from some people like it better and other not as much, is probably dependent of your level of satisfaction from AC. A player like me, very satisfied with AC has a limited incentive to switch to an other SIM as my main source of SIM satisfaction. Other who like AC to a point but feel it is lacking in some aspect might find a better alternative in a different approach to the genre.
I wish I could try a demo, but since all I have is relying on some trusted source impression, I will wait for a more stable version of PCars2 and for a special price offering before engaging.
That said, I already know that all PCars2 as to offer me is an alternative to my main SIM for when I will be seeking for something different for variety sake and at best I never expected anything else from it.
My comment only applies to AC on PC, as to me, AC on console is only a pale version of all we can enjoy on PC, making PCars2 a much better alternative on console.

Hi all! Now Project C.A.R.S 2 implemented in console version the "Downshift Protection system" and improved the compatibility with wheels.

In physics and FFB, assetto is still in front of project C.A.R.S 2,amazing what Stefano and his little studio achieved in that aspect.

For me in AI... Comparing console versions i would say it's a draw and both AI can be really good and really bad.

I really like the new FFB of Project C.A.R.S, more now in the 2.0 update.
But is still a step behind the one assetto offers, let's say that the FFB from assetto is more consistent, and in Project C.A.R.S 2 there ara amazing cars and real bad ones in feeling.

Physics side, quite an improvement in Project C.A.R.S 2.. Some cars are similar to assetto others not so much, a bit inconsistent, but hey,nobody's perfect.
In general terms Project C.A.R.S 2 forgive a bit more your mistakes.

In terms of track acurracy... Well most of the assetto tracks are amazing and scanned... The new tracks on Project are also scaned an on a good level, surface FFB is improved also on older tracks but some of the old tracks could be better accurated.
Love both... One for the number of tracks, other for his acurracy.

In gaming experience, a win for project C.A.R.S with his leaderboards, online rating, IU,livetrack 3.0... A lot of content to enjoy.

Finally, i really can't live without both off them, one for the pure enjoy of driving and improve your skills and the other with full fun of racing.

Assetto king in physics and FFB.
Pcars 2 king in pure racing fun.

Also tried the new demo of GT Sport and it's quite behind competition for me.
After 2H it was erased from my HDD

I'm sure I'll be head-over-heels in love with online racing in GT Sport for a while this winter. I'd have to get bored of that and AC before I picked up PC2.

Most of you guys seem to play a wide variety of racing games - road, open wheel, rally, arcade racer etc. etc. I can't do that. I've never been able to focus any significant energy into more than one racing game at once. Maybe in PS1 days - I think there was some crossover between NFS, GT, Ridge Racer and Rally Cross. But after GT2 I never touched another racing game to any significant degree. At least never more than one at a time.

I wish I could try a demo, but since all I have is relying on some trusted source impression,

I believe Steam offer a refund on games that you've owned for less than 2 weeks and played for less than 2 hours if you don't like it.

If you do try it, definitely use the Jack Spade Ffb files as they really make the game loads better.

I believe Steam offer a refund on games that you've owned for less than 2 weeks and played for less than 2 hours if you don't like it.

If you do try it, definitely use the Jack Spade Ffb files as they really make the game loads better.

Thank you but I am only interested in a demo, I am aware of the 2 hours Steam return policy, make it 20 hours, then it could pass as a demo.

Here is your ideal game:

FFB, physics and audio of AC, Cars and tracks from PCARS2 and the online and graphics of GT Sport.

I would say...

FFB & Physics: assetto corsa.
Sounds: raceroom.
Graphics: GT Sport.
Climate change and day-to-day: livetrack 3.0 of Project C.A.R.S 2.
Car and track count: Project C.A.R.S 2 and assetto.
Online: iracing (didn't like the online from GT Sport, sorry )

Thank you but I am only interested in a demo, I am aware of the 2 hours Steam return policy, make it 20 hours, then it could pass as a demo.
As far as I know, they never released a demo for PCARS1 (because, apparently, it takes too much development time away.....) and said they don't have any plan at all for a PCARS2 demo.

Glad that Microsoft didn't have a X-hours policy for refunds when I bought PCARS1 on the Xbox One years ago. Played it for more than two hours but was still able to get my money back. I mainly play on the PS4 now, but I'm not sure about Sony's attitude on refunds. Best bet would be playing at my friends' houses in case they decide to give it a try.

Just to add on @ALB123 comment, which I agree with, is that an other difference from some people like it better and other not as much, is probably dependent of your level of satisfaction from AC. A player like me, very satisfied with AC has a limited incentive to switch to an other SIM as my main source of SIM satisfaction. Other who like AC to a point but feel it is lacking in some aspect might find a better alternative in a different approach to the genre.

I literally almost jumped out of my rig and did a happy dance the first time I was able to choose my livery for an online race in PCars2. It's amazing how such a small thing can add so much enjoyment/value. :)

I would say...

FFB & Physics: assetto corsa.
Sounds: raceroom.
Graphics: GT Sport.
Climate change and day-to-day: livetrack 3.0 of Project C.A.R.S 2.
Car and track count: Project C.A.R.S 2 and assetto.
Online: iracing (didn't like the online from GT Sport, sorry )

So we do pretty much agree then ;-) Except I am not familiar with Raceroom, iRacing isn't available on console so not included and I beg to differ on "Car and track count: Project C.A.R.S 2 and assetto." My main disappointment with AC is the lack of tracks. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love what we have but I would like more, especially real world scanned tracks.

So we do pretty much agree then ;-) Except I am not familiar with Raceroom, iRacing isn't available on console so not included and I beg to differ on "Car and track count: Project C.A.R.S 2 and assetto." My main disappointment with AC is the lack of tracks. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love what we have but I would like more, especially real world scanned tracks.
Go to youtube and search raceroom... Just 🤬 amazing sounds.. The best I've heard in a sim till now..

Yup, we don't have iracing in console, the only one who try to emulate the system completely is GT Sport, but the sport mode didn't convince me and the rating system doesn't work in normal online lobbies :banghead:

With cars & tracks of assetto & Project C.A.R.S 2 i would say combined, both garages would be amazing...

And like you said, assetto lack tracks,but got some good ones, so combined with those of Project C.A.R.S 2 would be great... If they where all laserscaned like those of Assetto :bowdown:
But even if they aren't laserscaned like Assetto's Zaandvoort I'm ok with that quality :D

Now you are talking about real world scanned tracks.... Can't wait to try out laguna seca on assetto... :drool:

:cheers:

I'm completely unable to do a proper comparison, because PC2 is pretty much unplayable with a Fanatec CSL Elite on PS4, which is what I have. The FFB on raw is almost completely dead, save for centring forces, so CSL-E users have to use "immersive" on PS4 to get any FFB feel at all. The problem with that is that immersive is still lacking a lot of detail, and what is there feels so strange and unnatural that it simply can't be how it's meant to feel.

I really want to get into PC2, as the content looks great, but there are so many bugs in the game that it's impossible for me to enjoy right now. The FFB for the CSL-E atm is literally worse than GT5/6 and older PS3 Codies F1 games. It makes the cars all feel much the same, and very dull and muted. So disappointed. It's especially poor that the patch addressed a text error in the name of the wheel in menus, but didn't actually do anything for the fact that the FFB is screwed up.

AC, on the other hand, is absolutely glorious with this wheel. Every car feels unique, is full of character, and the FFB communicates accuractely exactly what you would expect to feel when driving these cars.

So until PC2 is patched to fix the major problems it has, currently it's not even worth playing, let alone comparing to AC.

I'm completely unable to do a proper comparison, because PC2 is pretty much unplayable with a Fanatec CSL Elite on PS4, which is what I have. The FFB on raw is almost completely dead, save for centring forces, so CSL-E users have to use "immersive" on PS4 to get any FFB feel at all. The problem with that is that immersive is still lacking a lot of detail, and what is there feels so strange and unnatural that it simply can't be how it's meant to feel.

I really want to get into PC2, as the content looks great, but there are so many bugs in the game that it's impossible for me to enjoy right now. The FFB for the CSL-E atm is literally worse than GT5/6 and older PS3 Codies F1 games. It makes the cars all feel much the same, and very dull and muted. So disappointed. It's especially poor that the patch addressed a text error in the name of the wheel in menus, but didn't actually do anything for the fact that the FFB is screwed up.

AC, on the other hand, is absolutely glorious with this wheel. Every car feels unique, is full of character, and the FFB communicates accuractely exactly what you would expect to feel when driving these cars.

So until PC2 is patched to fix the major problems it has, currently it's not even worth playing, let alone comparing to AC.

AFAIK the Raw preset is generally intended for higher end wheels like the Clubsport or DD wheels. My CSW is acting up right now so I'm currently using my T300 and I find the Informative is the best option, Immersive just feels weird and lifeless. I tried Jack Spade too but I still like Informative better. I also find turning the tone down to about 25-30 really helps get more feeling from the tires and front end, I have FX around 60 and Volume varies from car to car but usually in the 50-60 range with Gain at 100. I'm on PC so I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but on my setup the FFB and physics in PC2 are quite comparable to AC and I'm very much enjoying driving in PC2.

Playing the "create the perfect sim" game by combining the best features from a variety of games is a demoralizing & ultimately pointless exercise. We are not - ever - going to get that game.

I am not a huge car buff & have played driving sims simply for the fun & the challenge. This is to explain that there is not particular reason why I should be focused on the "authenticity" of the driving experience. However, the reality for me has been that arbitrary, unrealistic or unsatisfying physics have always been a huge turn-off for me. Dozens of tracks & hundreds of cars, fancy graphics & elaborate special effects (TOD, weather etc) can't compensate for flawed physics. I would pick quality over quantity.

AC finally supplied that quality driving experience for me (on console). I gave PCars a fair shake, but couldn't accept the unrealistic physics, notwithstanding the many impressive things about the game. I don't think I'm going to bother with PCars 2. And GTSport? Well, I know it's going to look pretty, but I also know it's going to be disappointing in most other areas. I respect AC because the developers, with limited resources, chose to put those resources where it counts.

AFAIK the Raw preset is generally intended for higher end wheels like the Clubsport or DD wheels. My CSW is acting up right now so I'm currently using my T300 and I find the Informative is the best option, Immersive just feels weird and lifeless. I tried Jack Spade too but I still like Informative better. I also find turning the tone down to about 25-30 really helps get more feeling from the tires and front end, I have FX around 60 and Volume varies from car to car but usually in the 50-60 range with Gain at 100. I'm on PC so I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but on my setup the FFB and physics in PC2 are quite comparable to AC and I'm very much enjoying driving in PC2.

Raw was the suggested preset by WMD members on the official forum for the CSL-E. The problem isn't in the settings, it's definitely bugged. I've messed about heaps with settings both in game and on the wheel. It's simply bugged for this wheel ATM. Hopefully it can be fixed quickly, but I'm happy playing AC and F1 2017 until then.

My two cents-
Physics and FFB: Asseto Corsa
Audio: R3E
Customization and livery editor: Forza
Online: iRacing
Graphics: a toss up between PC2 and GTS I suppose. I'm not nearly as fussy about visuals as I am about physics and ffb.
That would be my dream combination.

My two cents-
Physics and FFB: Asseto Corsa
Audio: R3E
Customization and livery editor: Forza
Online: iRacing
Graphics: a toss up between PC2 and GTS I suppose. I'm not nearly as fussy about visuals as I am about physics and ffb.
That would be my dream combination.
I suppose on the console Forza would be the better option in Customization & Livery Editor, but if we bring the PC versions into the mix, I say Assetto Corsa. It might not be as easy as Forza, but it is completely unlimited. Like you, Graphics don't matter as much as a good force feedback system and good physics engine. I wouldn't want to be rolling around with LFS graphics in 2017, regardless of how swell the physics processing may be. At least RFactor 2 is getting a DX11 upgrade sometime this millennium.

I always was a very big fan of PCars. First with PCars in 2015 then PCars2. Loved this games, although the issues, but all in all I was very happy.

Time changed since I bought AC this weekend and it is at least one level above PCars2 regarding physics, rather 2 levels. I believe everything which happens to my car (equal if road car, LMP1, Formula 1, GT3) cause it feels so authentic and real and it is playable out of the box. This is something I can not confirm for PCars2. Too many cars the driving experience is not understandable or simply strange.
If you play PCars2 it's improved to its predecessor but miles away of this real driving experince you can feel in AC. Both are very good games, each one with it's advantages but I'm so glad to get AC for just 15€ to know now how I must have to rank PCars2.

I always was a very big fan of PCars. First with PCars in 2015 then PCars2. Loved this games, although the issues, but all in all I was very happy.

Time changed since I bought AC this weekend and it is at least one level above PCars2 regarding physics, rather 2 levels. I believe everything which happens to my car (equal if road car, LMP1, Formula 1, GT3) cause it feels so authentic and real and it is playable out of the box. This is something I can not confirm for PCars2. Too many cars the driving experience is not understandable or simply strange.
If you play PCars2 it's improved to its predecessor but miles away of this real driving experince you can feel in AC. Both are very good games, each one with it's advantages but I'm so glad to get AC for just 15€ to know now how I must have to rank PCars2.

Taking the Alfa GTA around the Scottish Highlands track with the volume cranked to ear bleed levels and dual buttkickers pounding my rig is a driving experience no other sim has yet matched. Makes the crazy amount of money I've sunk into this hobby worthwhile. AC has spoiled every other game for me. I was really hoping PC2 would deliver. Oh well, maybe I'll try it again during the next Steam sale when it will no doubt be dirt cheap.

I've paid till now 60$ on PC2 (main game hardcopy).
I've paid till now like 55$ on AC (main game + all expansion packs; it was on a good sale).

For me AC is a much better driving simulator; physics/FFB and driving experience!
PC2 is a better game overall due to the rating system, more tracks and more features/options like livetrack, weather system and day/night!

I regret buying neither of those! Both are great in their own regards! PC2 for fun with friends and online lobbies (due to rating system). AC for more serious driving experience and on the top of my toes hardcore activity!

Last edited:
I've paid till now 60$ on PC2 (main game hardcopy).
I've paid till now like 55$ on AC (main game + all expansion packs; it was on a good sale).

For me AC is a much better driving simulator; physics and driving experience!
PC2 is a better game overall due to the rating system, more tracks and more features/options like livetrack, weather system and day/night!

I regret buying neither of those! Both are great in their own regards! PC2 for fun with friends and online lobbies (due to rating system). AC for more serious driving experience and on the top of my toes hardcore activity!

Fully agree. Both (and also other race games/sims) have their pros en cons. Get the best of it and enjoy the time you spend with these racers. Also like the leaderboards for time trials for both AC (via RSR) and PCars2.

Somewhere buried in the bugs, jank, underwhelming ffb and so-so physics is a great game dying to get out with PC2. For as much as I adore the pure driving feel AC provides, I wish it was as content rich as PC2. I hope Kunos has the resources to make a more fleshed out experience with AC2.

Yeah I should correct myself: the FFB is my biggest let down in PC2 and not the physics themselves! They might be good or even more accurate than AC (I mean who knows, I'm no physicist or scientist), but the FFB is bad!

I still haven't tried pCars 2 so I can't comment on the comparison. I will say that I believe Manufacturers try to do too much voodoo with their force feedback. Even AC allows us to enter fantasy land a bit with the Kerb, Slip & Road Effect (Content Manager also has ABS Effect setting). I use a teeny bit of Kerb more as a training tool to see if I'm using the whole track. "Did my tires get all the way to the kerb like I wanted?"

I never played PCars 1 but I heard FFB was a nightmare to setup in that sim. That's weird. The physics engine calculates the force(s) and it should be a fairly simple handoff to the device driver of my awesome DFGT. :P I appreciate that AC gives us a very simple system. Like Stefano always says, "One number in -> One number out". There shouldn't have to be some voodoo massaging of the calculated forces before that info is handed off to the steering wheel so our delicate little hands can feel every teeny bump.

Standing starts in FWD cars.

How does AC, PC2 and GTS stack up against reality.

Interesting comparison. Not saying GTS is realistic in this manner, but I DD a 2016 Focus ST and I can confirm that if I was to rev to redline and dump the clutch, I wouldn’t go anywhere. I’d just roast the tires. The ST takes a good amount of throttle control to get a good launch.

Interesting comparison. Not saying GTS is realistic in this manner, but I DD a 2016 Focus ST and I can confirm that if I was to rev to redline and dump the clutch, I wouldn’t go anywhere. I’d just roast the tires. The ST takes a good amount of throttle control to get a good launch.
And yet a 2016 V40 R Design (which is to all intents and purposes a Focus) with more torque does.

I do have to ask is this what you think it will do, or have you actually switched off the ASM and TCS and done it?

And yet a 2016 V40 R Design (which is to all intents and purposes a Focus) with more torque does.

I do have to ask is this what you think it will do, or have you actually switched off the ASM and TCS and done it?

This is what it did when I turned off TCS and dumped the clutch with it revved to 4000 rpms and tried to go WOT in 1st. So I can't even imagine revving to redline and attempting the same.

Like I said, I'm not saying the result in GTS is realistic, cause I honestly didn't pay attention to see if the revs dropped when I dumped the clutch. I just let off the throttle shortly after and learned my lesson. But dumping the clutch and going WOT in 1st gear in the ST will get you nowhere, literally.

Back