Assetto Corsa vs. PCars 2 vs GTS: Physics, FFB

• Thread starter Fredzy
  • 361 comments

Of course, we can adopt the same pricing model! 10$ for each car per month while 100$ for each track per month!

"I mean you would pay way much more than that in real life to race that car at that track in a single day! So why won't you pay what we ask for, for a whole month!!!" ==> Best logic everrrr!

Of course, we can adopt the same pricing model! 10$ for each car per month while 100$ for each track per month!

"I mean you would pay way much more than that in real life to race that car at that track in a single day! So why won't you pay what we ask for, for a whole month!!!" ==> Best logic everrrr!

Correct, it's such a ridiculous pricing model. Personally, I wouldn't mind paying an annual subscription fee of say $70-80 which included all cars/tracks as well as a content creation guarantee of 3 new cars + 1 new track per quarter. Anything more than that is just greed in my opinion.

Any place for iRacing here? Quality of Racecraft? Online Interface? :sly:
I'd think that iRacing is much better than GTSport in the "Online" category. Heck, that's what iRacing is! That's pretty much all it is, right?

I'd think that iRacing is much better than GTSport in the "Online" category. Heck, that's what iRacing is! That's pretty much all it is, right?

I've played both and don't think iRacing is any lesser (or greater) in technical terms than GTS but considering one is limited to only race in events using the combination of license/cars/tracks one owns (as in purchased with real money) limits the breadth of options so I score it lower.

You get what you pay for, I've been doing some iRacing lately and most of the races have been by far the best races I've had all year, hell maybe even since I moved to PC three years ago. I'll gladly pay for that kind of racing and knowing that I can jump in a race with a good sized grid every hour.

You get what you pay for, I've been doing some iRacing lately and most of the races have been by far the best races I've had all year, hell maybe even since I moved to PC three years ago. I'll gladly pay for that kind of racing and knowing that I can jump in a race with a good sized grid every hour.
Yeah man totally. I was just being sarcastic but I can totally understand why people love it and swear by iRacing!
The thing is, for myself, I can never justify paying that much, for a limited content, for a limited time, when I can buy a full game full of content and play it how I want whenever I want without paying any other dime. (I mean PC2 or AC for example).
To each his own, some value online races way too much, maybe like yourself. For me, it's not that worth it. Of course nice to have, but isn't worth the required price.

Yeah man totally. I was just being sarcastic but I can totally understand why people love it and swear by iRacing!
The thing is, for myself, I can never justify paying that much, for a limited content, for a limited time, when I can buy a full game full of content and play it how I want whenever I want without paying any other dime. (I mean PC2 or AC for example).
To each his own, some value online races way too much, maybe like yourself. For me, it's not that worth it. Of course nice to have, but isn't worth the required price.

Yep, totally opposite for me. I've spent the last three years playing games like AC where you pay once (plus DLC) and have no subscription model, but finding good races is very difficult, if you're lucky enough to get a big grid the talent is all over the place and you rarely have anyone to battle with for more than a lap or two and you can pretty much forget about having any chance of winning. I got so bored with it I considered giving up on the hobby.

Offline racing does nothing for me, I haven't even raced the "new AI" in AC and it's been out for like 6 months now. SRS goes a long way to help the online situation in AC but the racecraft often leaves a bit to be desired. I've only been back on iRacing for a month but so far every race has had a good sized grid and I've literally spent entire races locked in a multi-car battle for the win, exhilarating stuff and worth every penny for me. Like you said, each to his own. :)

Yep, totally opposite for me. I've spent the last three years playing games like AC where you pay once (plus DLC) and have no subscription model, but finding good races is very difficult, if you're lucky enough to get a big grid the talent is all over the place and you rarely have anyone to battle with for more than a lap or two and you can pretty much forget about having any chance of winning. I got so bored with it I considered giving up on the hobby.

Offline racing does nothing for me, I haven't even raced the "new AI" in AC and it's been out for like 6 months now. SRS goes a long way to help the online situation in AC but the racecraft often leaves a bit to be desired. I've only been back on iRacing for a month but so far every race has had a good sized grid and I've literally spent entire races locked in a multi-car battle for the win, exhilarating stuff and worth every penny for me. Like you said, each to his own. :)
Why not try leagues? I know you mentioned SRS but there are plenty more on AC and PC2. I mean it's free, fun and you may have some good clean races!

Why not try leagues? I know you mentioned SRS but there are plenty more on AC and PC2. I mean it's free, fun and you may have some good clean races!

Not a league guy, I don't need a points system to quantify how mediocre I am. :lol: Don't like the drama that often comes with leagues either

Not a league guy, I don't need a points system to quantify how mediocre I am. :lol: Don't like the drama that often comes with leagues either
You're right on this one! I am a member of a league with some championships going on, and yeah there's lots of drama (mainly by me :lol::cheers:)

Holy cow. I had in my mind this idea of AC being a beehive of online racing activity on PC. Sounds about similar to PS4 pre-private lobbies.

Kunos made a big mistake when they rolled out private lobbies on console. They did away with the Kunos-configured servers that were all we had up til then. So all of the familiar, sensible lobbies that anyone could join were gone, replaced by mostly drift/cruise lobbies and the occasional organized race lobby that was usually for a specific group who may or may not want you there. Casual online transients pretty much fell off the map, there's never anything going on. I might start making my own legit race lobbies. One idea I had to draw people in was to put one car in there that doesn't belong. "GT3/4 Casual Clean Race with one guy in a Fiat." Or "Vintage Rally at Nurb GP plus a 962."

Semi on-topic: AC vs. GTS physics is no contest. No surprise there I guess. I've learned that I'm really a one-game guy when it comes to racing games. If I jump around between games it just doesn't work. This was hard with GT and AC. Online racing in GT is so addictive.. and ever-present. Driving in AC is so much better. I decided that driving is more important, and that what little AC has to offer in the online department is good enough until AC2 comes with its own online matchmaking etc. (...hopefully, of course.)

So I've cut GT out of my life like an abusive childhood friend. It was the joyless driving and lack of any special feelings toward any one car vs. another that made it easy. Also not having Trial Mountain or Deepforest. They did so much to increase the quality and realism of the driving experience, and I am proud of PD there. But the game is so numbed and manipulated to make it accessible to lower skilled racers - to keep them in the race and coming back. I seriously only drove a car just to drive one time. I took the AMG GT out onto Nords and was genuinely like

giphy.gif

Meanwhile, the next day I fired up AC to take the Porsche Spyder RS onto Nords. I recalled it seemed fun and I needed something to cheer me up, remind me that I actually like cars. The next thing I know the tires are shot and I'm out of gas an my kids are crying we're hungry, why aren't you feeding us?

Holy cow. I had in my mind this idea of AC being a beehive of online racing activity on PC. Sounds about similar to PS4 pre-private lobbies.

Yeah, I suspect they're not much different. We get a lot of servers with GT3s at Spa, track days at the Nords Tourist, beyond that it's hit and miss and for some reason mod content isn't used very often online. There's a couple servers run by some guys on the AC forums that have a bunch of street cars and those seem to be fairly popular but I'm not all that keen on racing street cars so I've never joined (I do plan to check it out at some point though). Sim Racing Systems is the best bet, it works a lot like iRacing and has races going off every hour with good sized grids.

I did a couple of random online races late last night...I actually had a good time. I haven't been racing online much in many months, so I was a little nervous rubbing rearview mirrors, but I thankfully didn't crash anyone. If I bump an AI driver no big deal. If I take someone out online, I know with my luck it will be some AJ Foyt wannabe who will lose their mind. :D Trial Mountain has been ported to Assetto Corsa, but I don't think Deep Forest has.

I did a couple of random online races late last night...I actually had a good time. I haven't been racing online much in many months, so I was a little nervous rubbing rearview mirrors, but I thankfully didn't crash anyone. If I bump an AI driver no big deal. If I take someone out online, I know with my luck it will be some AJ Foyt wannabe who will lose their mind. :D Trial Mountain has been ported to Assetto Corsa, but I don't think Deep Forest has.

I'm in the process of building a gaming PC, picked up a cheap old one for next to nothing, but it's in need of some upgrades. It has a 4th gen i3 and GTX 770, so I plan to get either an i5 4690 or i7 4790, which will allow the 770 to perform a bit better, and then I'll eventually replace it with a 1060 when I can source one cheap (this whole PC build is going to be as budget as possible, and currently only owes me $200 aud). Basically I'm aiming for a PS4 pro killer for PS4 pro money.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it won't be long before I'm playing AC on PC instead of PS4, which means MODS, GLORIOUS MODS!

...Sorry, I'm a little excited about the near future lol.

I'm in the process of building a gaming PC, picked up a cheap old one for next to nothing, but it's in need of some upgrades. It has a 4th gen i3 and GTX 770, so I plan to get either an i5 4690 or i7 4790, which will allow the 770 to perform a bit better, and then I'll eventually replace it with a 1060 when I can source one cheap (this whole PC build is going to be as budget as possible, and currently only owes me $200 aud). Basically I'm aiming for a PS4 pro killer for PS4 pro money.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it won't be long before I'm playing AC on PC instead of PS4, which means MODS, GLORIOUS MODS!

...Sorry, I'm a little excited about the near future lol.
That's awesome!! I'm always psyched to hear of another person joining the PC cult of AC. ;)

This was me until one month ago, when I actually quit GT Sport. Driving in that game gave me no joy. The only reason for me to play was Sport mode. After a particularly frustrating week, I decided to do what I knew in my gut was the best thing for me and delete it. It was not benefiting me as a driver, not a good use of my time. I was playing GT because it was GT, really. What time I have for it is better spent in AC.

I was going to download the demo for PC2 because "why not?" but was reminded of this. From all I've read, getting the good stuff out of PC2 requires a lot more effort than I'm willing or have time to spend.

This was me until one month ago, when I actually quit GT Sport. Driving in that game gave me no joy. The only reason for me to play was Sport mode. After a particularly frustrating week, I decided to do what I knew in my gut was the best thing for me and delete it. It was not benefiting me as a driver, not a good use of my time. I was playing GT because it was GT, really. What time I have for it is better spent in AC.

I was going to download the demo for PC2 because "why not?" but was reminded of this. From all I've read, getting the good stuff out of PC2 requires a lot more effort than I'm willing or have time to spend.

I'm on PS4 and I have all three games.
I like each one for some things it does.

Definitely, yeah GTS is the worst in terms of physics and driving simulation. But the fun (being easier to drive) you get from online close racing is nice.

I also happen to like PC2; yes it's still not AC in terms of driving feel and FFB, but it does most other things better.

In short: If someone asks me about getting a sim, and only one on PS4, it comes down to his preferences:
-Pure simulation joy and driving experience (physics/FFB): AC
-Huge content (tracks and cars), customization with decent physics/FFB: PC2
-Best graphics, best single player (IMO), best online experience: GTS

I'm on PS4 and I have all three games.
I like each one for some things it does.

Definitely, yeah GTS is the worst in terms of physics and driving simulation. But the fun (being easier to drive) you get from online close racing is nice.

I also happen to like PC2; yes it's still not AC in terms of driving feel and FFB, but it does most other things better.

In short: If someone asks me about getting a sim, and only one on PS4, it comes down to his preferences:
-Pure simulation joy and driving experience (physics/FFB): AC
-Huge content (tracks and cars), customization with decent physics/FFB: PC2
-Best graphics, best single player (IMO), best online experience: GTS
tumblr_ngfbhfTGUF1tib9s5o1_500.jpg

(apart from best single player GTS, i think the other two have it beat in that regard)

Well I knew that statement would be a surprise to many, that's why I included the word "(IMO)" near it.
A single player in a racing game (nowadays) is useless IMO. I barely touched AC's and PC2's career modes.
Playing online with real people is now the new trend, and the new "career mode" IMO.
A single player like GTS is awesome! Track guides, challenges, driving technics, driving attitude, tutorials etc. are all awesome to be able to compete in the online world! I mean it feels "useful" since it teaches you new stuff/technics and test your abilities.

I've been playing AC for a few days now on PS4 and it really is miles ahead of anything else on console. I'm running a CSL E PS4 and was wondering what your settings are for both the wheel and in-game. I prefer a heavier steering feel but I can't seem to find the right steering weight for some reason.

I've been playing AC for a few days now on PS4 and it really is miles ahead of anything else on console. I'm running a CSL E PS4 and was wondering what your settings are for both the wheel and in-game. I prefer a heavier steering feel but I can't seem to find the right steering weight for some reason.
I'll reply although I don't have a CSL Elite wheel.
I have a G29, and I run at 90FFB and everything else at Zero, and no understeer effect. This is because all of these are additional effects, and as recommended by Kunos himself, to get pure FFB, you need to put them all to zero.
For you, I think a 40 to 50FFB would be good.

Last edited:
I'll reply although I don't have a CSL Elite wheel.
I have a G29, and I run at 90FFB and everything else at Zero, and no understeer effect. This is because all of these are additional effects, and as recommended by Kunos himself, to get pure FFB, you need to put them all to zero.
For you, I think a 40 to 50FFB would be good.
Wow, I have it set to 100FFB and 100 on the wheel and it's really light, maybe I'll set everything else to zero and see how that feels. Thanks

Wow, I have it set to 100FFB and 100 on the wheel and it's really light, maybe I'll set everything else to zero and see how that feels. Thanks

WHAT!?!?
100FFB on the Fanatec CSL Elite and you still feel it's light?!

It's one of 3 things:
  • Either you're HULK/Superman etc. or one of that species
  • Either your wheel is doomed
  • Either you got a fraud and it's Fonotec or something like that :lol:

Well I knew that statement would be a surprise to many, that's why I included the word "(IMO)" near it.
A single player in a racing game (nowadays) is useless IMO. I barely touched AC's and PC2's career modes.
Playing online with real people is now the new trend, and the new "career mode" IMO.
I mean it feels "useful" since it teaches you new stuff/technics and test your abilities.
Have to totally disagree. I know it's your opinion but it's wrong. Statistics show racing online with real people is far from the trend. I play far more offline than online. I hope other games do not follow GTS approach as it will surely the death touch of racing games.

A single player like GTS is awesome! Track guides, challenges, driving technics, driving attitude, tutorials etc. are all awesome to be able to compete in the online world!
I have to disagree on a personal level with this too. I find GTS single player mind numbingly boring and useless as a single player experience. It certainly could not be called awesome. If it were then GT league ( which is still garbage) would never have been added.

I play far more offline than online.
Me too. I completed the career mode in pretty much every racing game I've owned and I rarely go online for racing: cruise/drag lobbies in Forza 4 were the best for me and I like AC's trackdays, but that's it.
Side challenges (Forza's special showcases, GT's driving tests etc.) are more than welcome, as long as they provide some variety and are actually fun to do.

My experience too. I grabbed it in a recent sale but it has only confirmed my worst fears from when we learned it wasn't going to be GT7. Physics-wise it's fine but the whole experience is lacking in almost every department, including the most crucial one - the driving.

A single player like GTS is awesome! Track guides, challenges, driving technics, driving attitude, tutorials etc. are all awesome to be able to compete in the online world! I mean it feels "useful" since it teaches you new stuff/technics and test your abilities.
Have to totally disagree. I know it's your opinion but it's wrong. Statistics show racing online with real people is far from the trend. I play far more offline than online. I hope other games do not follow GTS approach as it will surely the death touch of racing games.
I can't remember the numbers, @BrandonW77 has mentioned them before - perhaps he'll remember. But Kunos stated the % of online play occurring with Assetto Corsa and it was ridiculously low from my expectations. The data Kunos pointed to is a bit older by now, but I don't know if I believe it's changed much. I think it's one of the reasons Assetto Corsa became labelled as the Hotlap Simulator. And it got that nickname before the catastrophe known as the console release with it's abysmal online system.

I wish I could offer suggestions, but I'm a PC player. I did, however, want to take a moment to welcome the Sausage King of Chicago to the Assetto Corsa forums. :bowdown:

My experience too. I grabbed it in a recent sale but it has only confirmed my worst fears from when we learned it wasn't going to be GT7. Physics-wise it's fine but the whole experience is lacking in almost every department, including the most crucial one - the driving.
Does anyone know why PDI took a 15+ year old formula for success and threw it out the window in order to develop GT Sport? A company with the resources PDI has, I'm surprised they didn't opt for a Gran Turismo 7 to satisfy the millions of loyal fans and a Gran Turismo Sport to show that world that Gran Turismo can be "srs bsns" too exposing millions of casual players to the ultra competitive side of sim racing - e-sports with the FIA partnership and all that jazz. Forza manages to exist just fine with two titles on different ends of the spectrum, no?

GTS is following that trend as well, while PD don't put up numbers others have dug them out.

9% of players have completed more than ten races in Sport mode, and 6% more than 20.

http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=sport_play_ratio

Does anyone know why PDI took a 15+ year old formula for success and threw it out the window in order to develop GT Sport? A company with the resources PDI has, I'm surprised they didn't opt for a Gran Turismo 7 to satisfy the millions of loyal fans and a Gran Turismo Sport to show that world that Gran Turismo can be "srs bsns" too exposing millions of casual players to the ultra competitive side of sim racing - e-sports with the FIA partnership and all that jazz. Forza manages to exist just fine with two titles on different ends of the spectrum, no?
Once upon a time, Kaz mused about the potential to do two PS4 titles. A competition focused title, followed by a traditional GT7. It really didn't make sense to me, sounded like one game for the price of two, split over (let's be honest) 3 years.

This trimmed down GT Sport we got isn't the product of a deliberate focus on online competition and away from the classic "mass content overload" GT formula. They were never going to have enough content ready to make GT 7 proper. I think the work they did on Sport mode was absolutely necessary regardless, and I doubt its development pulled much resource away from car/track content development anyhow.

WHAT!?!?
100FFB on the Fanatec CSL Elite and you still feel it's light?!

It's one of 3 things:
  • Either you're HULK/Superman etc. or one of that species
  • Either your wheel is doomed
  • Either you got a fraud and it's Fonotec or something like that :lol:
Must be something strange with AC on PS4. I've messed with a bunch of settings and it's still really light but when I switch to GTSport, PC2, or Forza 7 I can get it to the point where it's so strong it feels like I'm mixing concrete.

Back