Assetto Corsa vs. PCars 2 vs GTS: Physics, FFB

• Thread starter Fredzy
  • 361 comments
This is what it did when I turned off TCS and dumped the clutch with it revved to 4000 rpms and tried to go WOT in 1st. So I can't even imagine revving to redline and attempting the same.

Like I said, I'm not saying the result in GTS is realistic, cause I honestly didn't pay attention to see if the revs dropped when I dumped the clutch. I just let off the throttle shortly after and learned my lesson. But dumping the clutch and going WOT in 1st gear in the ST will get you nowhere, literally.

Holding the throttle at 4k, dumping the clutch and then going WOT is not the same as dumping the clutch with the throttle pinned.

It's the latter I'm referring to and while I've not done it in a current gen ST, I have done it in an older one. It acted little different to my V40, or any other fwd car I've done it in.

Almost no reason exists why a current gen ST would be than removed from a car that's based on it (as the V40 is) and has more torque.

Holding the throttle at 4k, dumping the clutch and then going WOT is not the same as dumping the clutch with the throttle pinned.

It's the latter I'm referring to and while I've not done it in a current gen ST, I have done it in an older one. It acted little different to my V40, or any other fwd car I've done it in.

Almost no reason exists why a current gen ST would be than removed from a car that's based on it (as the V40 is) and has more torque.

Good chance you're correct then. I'm just not willing to test the theory, and didn't attempt it after the results I got from 4k. My car is now stage 3 (not much for this platform really), with a full tune from Stratified, pushing much more torque than stock.

Good chance you're correct then. I'm just not willing to test the theory, and didn't attempt it after the results I got from 4k. My car is now stage 3 (not much for this platform really), with a full tune from Stratified, pushing much more torque than stock.
No problem at all, my DAD is a company car so I get to worry less about that.

Standing starts in FWD cars.

How does AC, PC2 and GTS stack up against reality.

I really enjoy watching videos like this, more so than the graphics comparisons.
Would you consider making more?
How about understeer/oversteer comparisons?
Maybe braking with no ABS, or something fun like how much fuel gets spent in 1 lap same car scenarios.
Anyhow, great video!

Yeah, XXI, thanks Scaff for those nice little videos/comparisons! Very interesting to watch!

I'm especially interested in ABS! The first thing I noticed when I played Pcars2 for the first time was how the car handled under ABS and how different it was to what I was used to in AC!
In AC, I never felt really the ABS kicking in, it used to brake as usual, as smooth as silk and nearly no brake pedal modulation was needed under ABS.
In Pcars2, the ABS started to kick in severely nearly immediately, (I noticed it in Monza after the start straight). It was as severe as I might notice it in my real life car!

I had a friend over this afternoon. He wanted to try AC en pCars 2 demo with a wheel. Both pc versions.
He never used a wheel, only a controller or a keyboard. After playing for 3 hours straight, I asked him which game he prefers; AC or pCars 2 demo. He said: Assetto Corsa.

He drives carts in real life, not competition wise, only for fun.

I recently acquired PCars 2 and I am a long time AC enthousiast. So here is my Canadian 2 cents.
PCars 2 is very much improved on what PCars can offer in relation to physic and even more FFB.
It got much closer to what AC offers on those 2 aspects. Still not totally there yet but the better question is: is it close enough and good enough to be enjoyable for a SIM enthousiast. I believe it is and can foresee enjoying both.

Edit. It has been a little over a month and PCars 2 is uninstalled from my PC. I still stand by my early comment that it is better than PCars 1. But it’s s not close enough to AC either in FFB and Physic to be enjoyable to drive. Plus it has other issues. So I am happy I did buy it on special, only because I do not have to wonder about it. I think that the people driving PCars 2 instead of AC are not after the same thing than me when driving or racing in a SIM.

Last edited:
I recently acquired PCars 2 and I am a long time AC enthousiast. So here is my Canadian 2 cents.
PCars 2 is very much improved on what PCars can offer in relation to physic and even more FFB.
It got much closer to what AC offers on those 2 aspects. Still not totally there yet but the better question is: is it close enough and good enough to be enjoyable for a SIM enthousiast. I believe it is and can foresee enjoying both.

I agree. Two different games if you ask me.
However, it seems they're much closer on PC than they are on PS4! On PS4, and using my G29 wheel, AC feels much better in terms of driving experience (FFB and general feeling).
Despite that, the features of PC2 (day/night, weather, ranking, livetrack, more tracks, etc.) lures me in.
I like both in their own ways.

How is the rallycross in pCars 2 physics wise? Any pc players whom can answer me that question?

How is the rallycross in pCars 2 physics wise? Any pc players whom can answer me that question?

I've only done a few sessions with it but I thought it was one of the best parts of the game. Unfortunately it's pretty neutered online, can only have 6 on the grid and none of the tracks have pits so they don't allow practice or qualifying, just dumps you straight into the race.

I've only done a few sessions with it but I thought it was one of the best parts of the game. Unfortunately it's pretty neutered online, can only have 6 on the grid and none of the tracks have pits so they don't allow practice or qualifying, just dumps you straight into the race.
So, rallycross hotlapping is not possible? Only races.

Thanks. pCars 2 starts to sound better and better. Might get it afterall although I said to myself never to buy stuff from SMS again.

I've bought pCARS 2 twice and refunded it twice - once at launch and once last week. For me there are just too many bugs, too many performance issues, too many little niggles and too many baffling design decisions. It'll hopefully continue to receive support and hopefully it'll slowly improve, but I've got absolutely no inclination to spend any more time faffing about with it when Assetto Corsa just works first time every time, has predictable and stable performance and works superbly in VR. Content Manager is a absolutely fantastic interface, adding flexibility and control, and there are dozens of truly excellent mods to keep things fresh. OK, pCARS 2 has seasons, day/night and weather, but if the core gameplay is flawed then those things don't really matter. The big track roster used to be the big draw of pCARS but it looks pretty meagre compared to the 160-odd tracks I've got for Assetto Corsa. And I have absolutely zero interest in kart racing, ice racing or rallycross.

Apart from all of that I just simply prefer the physics of AC, how it drives and how it feels, and no amount of tweaking could get pCARS 2 close enough. I'll continue to follow pCARS 2's progress but my current thinking is that I'll probably pick up the GOTY version at some point in the future when it's been heavily discounted, but at the moment I'm 100% happy sticking with AC.

I've bought pCARS 2 twice and refunded it twice - once at launch and once last week. For me there are just too many bugs, too many performance issues, too many little niggles and too many baffling design decisions. It'll hopefully continue to receive support and hopefully it'll slowly improve, but I've got absolutely no inclination to spend any more time faffing about with it when Assetto Corsa just works first time every time, has predictable and stable performance and works superbly in VR. Content Manager is a absolutely fantastic interface, adding flexibility and control, and there are dozens of truly excellent mods to keep things fresh. OK, pCARS 2 has seasons, day/night and weather, but if the core gameplay is flawed then those things don't really matter. The big track roster used to be the big draw of pCARS but it looks pretty meagre compared to the 160-odd tracks I've got for Assetto Corsa. And I have absolutely zero interest in kart racing, ice racing or rallycross.

Apart from all of that I just simply prefer the physics of AC, how it drives and how it feels, and no amount of tweaking could get pCARS 2 close enough. I'll continue to follow pCARS 2's progress but my current thinking is that I'll probably pick up the GOTY version at some point in the future when it's been heavily discounted, but at the moment I'm 100% happy sticking with AC.
I understands your position, PCars is not AC, I will probably still drive AC a lot more than PCars 2 for different reason. But at least PCars as made enough progress that now I look forward to drive it in what it does best and intend to let what I least like improve (hopefully) in times. As far as I am concerned, this is the only one that I am considering using beside AC. I just like to add, that for PCars 2 like any other SIM it takes a little time to get comfortable with, find work around, to make the experience better. Like in AC, I love it too, but if tomorrow CM would stop working, I would feel very bad about that.

Well when comes to RL vs sim, I prefer Project CARS 2. I was away from sim racing for about a year and a half. I came back about 9 months ago and it was just a relief to drive in Project CARS 2, because the vehicles were phenomenal.

The Devs are working on Project CARS 2! AC has been out for over 4 years with early access now. AC still has some work to be done as with all sims and is not a perfect simulator. I agree with this link from @Motor City Hami , Lawnsdarts and several others that drive race cars. The main thing irritating me in the sim community is the toxic environment. Not only are people questioning the Chief Test Driver for McLaren signing off on the McLarens, now.

TBH, the #1 issue in most of these sims are the tire models across the board. But, what I am feeling in Project CARS 2 is so close to sealing the deal atm. IDK, if this will happen in Project CARS 2 or a Project CARS 3. But, if this were baseball, SMS is about to knock a home run with the tires!

Last edited:

Most of the opinions I've heard/read around are pretty much like yours. I tried the demo and, even if It's better than the first game, the driving experience didn't feel as smooth and natural as Assetto.
Can't talk about bugs, which seem to be a hot topic once again, because the demo gameplay is quite limited and I didn't experience any (besides a few weird lighting glitches in cockpit view).

And yet a 2016 V40 R Design (which is to all intents and purposes a Focus) with more torque does.

I do have to ask is this what you think it will do, or have you actually switched off the ASM and TCS and done it?

What tyres were used in the GTS launch? This behaviour has been present in GT games for as long as I can remember, and I've more than once mentioned how unrealistic it is. It's as if the tyres are modeled as solid rubber, and have no deformation or flex at all, and thus don't behave like real tyres.

This is what it did when I turned off TCS and dumped the clutch with it revved to 4000 rpms and tried to go WOT in 1st. So I can't even imagine revving to redline and attempting the same.

Like I said, I'm not saying the result in GTS is realistic, cause I honestly didn't pay attention to see if the revs dropped when I dumped the clutch. I just let off the throttle shortly after and learned my lesson. But dumping the clutch and going WOT in 1st gear in the ST will get you nowhere, literally.

You must buy incredibly cheap tyres then mate, because on even half decent tyres, a stock ST Focus won't do that at all, it'll chirp the tyres a bit as it struggles a little for grip, and as the tyres gain traction, which happens very quickly, the car just launches hard. You'd need either the cheapest tyres available, or a lot of work done to the engine, or more likely both, to get the kind of behaviour seen in the GTS video.

... for what it's worth, here's my perfect combo:

Force Feedback: Assetto Corsa
Physics: Assetto Corsa
Sounds: Raceroom
Graphics: GT Sport
Online: GT Sport
Enviromental (weather/time/season): Livetrack 3.0 - Project C.A.R.S 2
Tracks: Project C.A.R.S 2
Car list: Forza 7

^^^ Exactly this. Heaven on earth but not gonna happen :(

What tyres were used in the GTS launch? This behaviour has been present in GT games for as long as I can remember, and I've more than once mentioned how unrealistic it is. It's as if the tyres are modeled as solid rubber, and have no deformation or flex at all, and thus don't behave like real tyres.
I used stock tyres for all cars in the test, but I've tested all comfort and sport compounds and it's the same.

I'd only change tracks, I like the variety in PC1/2, but the accuracy is hit and miss. The track list from PC2, modelled by Kunos, would be my choice :)

Any place for iRacing here? Quality of Racecraft? Online Interface? :sly:

Back