Association Football Trivia Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,675 comments
Steve McManaman might be the English fella, doing it for Madrid in 2000 and 2002.

The Scottish bloke might be Dalglish for Liverpool.
Nope to both of them.

Forget Champions league. They're both from the European Cup era.

Ah, so it's not Scott Gemmill then. :P

If it is another Gemmill, I'd be lost at a name:

John
Donald
Cameron
Douglas
Rory
Alexander
Fergus
Duncan
Willie

More stereotypical Scottish names can be produced if desired.

Ah, so it's not Scott Gemmill then. :P

If it is another Gemmill, I'd be lost at a name:

John
Donald
Cameron
Douglas
Rory
Alexander
Fergus
Duncan
Willie

More stereotypical Scottish names can be produced if desired.
You missed Angus!

You want to put @Liquid out of my misery @Brend ?

I'll let you ask a question, @Brend. Mix it up with new question masters.
Hmmmm...

Who are the all-time top 3 SPL goalscorers? One may be obvious, perhaps even 2, but getting the one in 3rd will be pretty difficult. His clubs include Hibs and Celtic.

Kenny Miller would have spent too long at Wolves to trouble the top 3 scorers.

The only other Hibs & Celtic guy I can think of right now is Anthony Stokes.

Kenny Miller would have spent too long at Wolves to trouble the top 3 scorers.

The only other Hibs & Celtic guy I can think of right now is Anthony Stokes.
It's not Stokes either.

The fact he isn't automatically coming to mind should perhaps click in your head, his career trajectory didn't pan out the way it looked certain to. He was also quite controversial at times.

And he's still the third top scorer in the top flight despite a wasted career?

Hmm. Shaun Maloney.... wild stab in the dark considering he's not a striker.

And he's still the third top scorer in the top flight despite a wasted career?

Hmm. Shaun Maloney.... wild stab in the dark considering he's not a striker.
Not Maloney either, unfortunately.

He won the Scottish Young Player of the year in 2005, the same year he got fined £25,000 for singing racist songs about a city rival's player.

Huh, I was trying to think of green/green & white players from that era. Craig Beattie is the only name springing to mind and while he did have a crap career there is no way he scored anywhere near enough SPL goals. I'd be surprised if he has more than 25.

Not Beattie either. It did genuinely shocked me when I seen it, it's why I use it as my go-to footie question of choice! :lol:

Ah! My FM2007 days haven't failed me.

Derek Riordan? Now that I think about it... what did happen to him? I remember he went back to Hibernian after his Celtic spell didn't work out but that must be nearly 9 years ago.

Ah! My FM2007 days haven't failed me.

Derek Riordan? Now that I think about it... what did happen to him? I remember he went back to Hibernian after his Celtic spell didn't work out but that must be nearly 9 years ago.
You got it! :D

It's an interesting tale. Despite scoring 9 times in 13 starts for Celtic, he just wasn't a favorite of Strachan's and never got a break-through. Went back to Hibs and scored an additional 36 goals in 102 appearances. Since 2011 he's scored 5 competitive goals. :lol:

Strachan described him as "the best natural finisher" he had ever seen in football.

So what are the stats for these top three scorers then? Would be interesting to know the top 10.

There's a top scorers list on the SPL's wiki page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Premier_League

Screenshot_20160825-121252.png

I would have thought that with the old adage of Scottish keepers better at saving money than saving shots, that those numbers would be higher.

Okay, let's keep the Around The Nations theme going.

As far as my research shows, there are five players who played in the Welsh Premier League BEFORE playing for the Wales national team.

Who?

I want to see your guesses before I give you clues.

I read an article in FourFourTwo mag quite recently about Bobby Gould's reign as Wales Boss and he once called up an LOW player to the Wales senior squad, can remember his name though, might still have the mag, ill check....

Edit, got it, it was Gary Lloyd, then of Barry Town.

Back