Association Football Trivia Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,675 comments
How many more have we got to get??
3 cities* & 6 stadia left to get. I'll write a clear list of what we've had so far & who has said the correct answers. Soon.

*Edit: Or 5 cities if anyone wants to be more specific with the locations near to San Francisco & New York.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Citrus Bowl hosted one. I don't know if the citrus bowl is the name of the stadium or the yearly college football game held there though.

Also don't know the city.

Edit: Also the stadium in Foxboro near Boston that the New England Patriots used to play in.

The only realistic options I can think of now are Indiana and Foxboro, Boston. Other viable cities have domes as their main stadium.

I'm pretty sure the Citrus Bowl hosted one. I don't know if the citrus bowl is the name of the stadium or the yearly college football game held there though.

Also don't know the city.

Edit: Also the stadium in Foxboro near Boston that the New England Patriots used to play in.
Citrus Bowl is correct, its location hasn't been mentioned yet.

Foxboro Stadium in Foxborough near Boston is one, yes.

The only realistic options I can think of now are Indiana and Foxboro, Boston. Other viable cities have domes as their main stadium.
Indiana is not one.
Foxboro Stadium in Foxborough is correct as stated above.

You don't need to rule out domes.

Stadium - Location

Giants Stadium - ? (near New York, NY)

Rose Bowl - Pasadena, CA (near Los Angeles, CA)

? - ? (near Detroit, MI)

Soldier Field - Chicago, IL

? - Dallas, TX

? - Washington D.C.

? - ? (near San Francisco, CA)

Citrus Bowl - ?

Foxboro Stadium - Foxborough MA (near Boston MA)

Last edited:
The Citrus Bowl would have to be in Florida, surely? Since Tampa and Miami are already out, Orlando or Jacksonville?

Giants Stadium is in Rutherford, New Jersey.

The one in Dallas might be the Cotton Bowl?

I feel that Washington would have been what is now known as FedEx Field but if it's period exact names we're looking for... Hell, again I might not even have the right time period for the stadium itself either. I know that's the case for today's Cowboys Stadium, especially since that's in Arlington, TX anyway.

Correct.

Giants Stadium is in Rutherford, New Jersey.
East Rutherford, yes.

The one in Dallas might be the Cotton Bowl?
Correct.

I feel that Washington would have been what is now known as FedEx Field but if it's period exact names we're looking for... Hell, again I might not even have the right time period for the stadium itself either. I know that's the case for today's Cowboys Stadium, especially since that's in Arlington, TX anyway.
Jack Kent Cooke Stadium opened in 1997 & later became FedEx Field.

Stadium - Location

Giants Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ (near New York, NY)

? - ? (near Detroit, MI)

Cotton Bowl - Dallas, TX

? - Washington D.C.

? - ? (near San Francisco, CA)

Citrus Bowl - Orlando, FL

Foxboro Stadium - Foxborough, MA (near Boston, MA)

I've left out the names of the correct answer-givers for now, to keep the list easier to read.

Did Stanford stadium host the World Cup?

Stanford near San Francisco.
Yes.

Stadium - Location

? - ? (near Detroit, MI)

Cotton Bowl - Dallas, TX

? - Washington D.C.

Stanford Stadium - Stanford, CA (near San Francisco, CA)

Foxboro Stadium - Foxborough, MA (near Boston, MA)

I've left out the names of the correct answer-givers for now, to keep the list easier to read.

Last edited:
Clue time:

3 venues haves hosted indoor World Cup (finals tournament) matches. The first of which was during USA '94.

The DC stadium was the Robert Kennedy and the one you're missing everything for was the fabulously-named Pontiac Silverdome which hosted the opening game...

The DC stadium was the Robert Kennedy and the one you're missing everything for was the fabulously-named Pontiac Silverdome which hosted the opening game...
They are the missing two. 👍
Although the opening game was in the same venue as the opening ceremony, no? Which was at Soldier Field. Possibly Switzerland vs USA but I'd have to check that?
I'll update the stadium list with the names of the correct answer givers when I'm not so spectacularly drunk at the Test Match.

Although the opening game was in the same venue as the opening ceremony, no? Which was at Soldier Field. Possibly Switzerland vs USA but I'd have to check that?
Pretty sure it was USA vs Switzerland at the Silverdome, because of all the noise about it being the first indoor game in Finals history.

Pretty sure it was USA vs Switzerland at the Silverdome, because of all the noise about it being the first indoor game in Finals history.
I trust that you're probably correct. Maybe there was another game played simultaneously in Chicago. That Diana Ross missed penalty at the opening ceremony was definitely outdoor (I think).

Update: The opening ceremony & the first two matches of the tournament were held on 17th June. The first game to be played in Pontiac was USA v Switzerland, a day later.

To round up the answers:

Stadium - Location

MUSIC4EVER - Liquid (MUSIC4EVER)

C-ZETA - C-ZETA

Pontiac Silverdome - Pontiac, MI (near Detroit, MI)
Famine - (C-ZETA)

C-ZETA - C-ZETA

Cotton Bowl - Dallas, TX
Liquid - C-ZETA

Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium - Washington D.C.
Famine - C-ZETA

Stanford Stadium - Stanford, CA (near San Francisco, CA)
Akmuq - Akmuq (C-ZETA)

Akmuq - Barra333

Foxboro Stadium - Foxborough, MA (near Boston,MA)
Akmuq - Akmuq

If there are any errors, do let me know.

Last edited:
One I'm taking inspiration from a book I read again last week.

Which two Football League players hold what is effectively the joint record for fastest sending off?

Is that the 2 who were coming on as substitutes & were sent off before play resumed? Keith Gillespie might have been one of them?
If so; I think someone, possibly @Famine, has asked that question before?

Edit: D'oh! It was me who asked it. Memory ain't what it used to be. :dunce:
In the English Football League, what record is shared by Walter Boyd and Keith Gillespie?

Yep, it was those two then and it still is now. Always gonna get a couple of repeats over the course of 82 pages.

There is another, similar instance from the Champions League I believe, although it isn't classed in the same way as a traditional red card from what I can see.

Yep, it was those two then and it still is now. Always gonna get a couple of repeats over the course of 82 pages.

There is another, similar instance from the Champions League I believe, although it isn't classed in the same way as a traditional red card from what I can see.
It's still your turn to ask another one instead of the repeated question then?
It's not really up to me of course but I would guess that's the best way to go?

Oh, alright then. Well then, since I brought that up as well, I suppose I'll ask - who is that player who, in the Champions League, managed to get sent off without ever actually taking to the field?

Argentina vs Uruguay is the world's most frequently played international fixture with 186 meetings between the two sides.

What is Europe's most played international fixture?

Maybe Italy v Germany since they both seem to go far in competitions.

But they seldom meet outside of competitions or even in them. Incorrect I'm afraid.

England v Scotland?

While it is the oldest international fixture, it is only Europe's second most frequent fixture with 113 meetings between the two sides.

There is a game even more frequent than that.

Latest Posts

Back