Association Football Trivia Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,675 comments
Complete guesswork, the other Crystal Palace.

Incorrect.

One club was expelled and actually forcibly disbanded by the FA for financial irregularities and match-fixing; its successor club was formed directly as a result of this expulsion and is a major team currently playing in the Championship.

The other club is very obscure, spending three seasons in the Second Division from 1898-1901 before going bankrupt in the summer of 1901 on the eve of the 1901/02 season; the team was from a small town on the Wirral peninsula.

Incorrect.

One club was expelled and actually forcibly disbanded by the FA for financial irregularities and match-fixing; its successor club was formed directly as a result of this expulsion and is a major team currently playing in the Championship.

The other club is very obscure, spending three seasons in the Second Division from 1898-1901 before going bankrupt in the summer of 1901 on the eve of the 1901/02 season; the team was from a small town on the Wirral peninsula.
I just looked them up. I would have got the first eventually by virtue of naming Championship sides. The other, never in a million years.

It's still guesswork but could that be Bradford? I stopped watching football a while ago so I'm not sure if the current Bradford City play in the Championship or not. I've just got a feeling that the city has had something happen like that in the past.

I was looking up a footballer on wiki and I noticed a phrase on the page that I couldn't quite believe. It said, "redacted is the first Italian to sign for Ajax." Surely Ajax have signed an Italian before, but it would appear not. They've had players who have Italian as a 2nd nationality, but no one born in Italy apart from this one guy.

Who is he?

A worthy gravedig:

Dean Lewington has set a new Football League record for league appearances at one club; in today's 1-0 win for Milton Keynes against Colchester, he played his 771st league game for Milton Keynes and overtakes John Trollope's 43-year old record.

Lewington doesn't have the record as a one-club man because he did previously play in 29 games for the original Wimbledon prior to relocation, that record still belongs to Trollope's 770 games for Swindon, but 771 league games for the same club is a remarkable achievement no matter what your attitude to Milton Keynes is.

At the time of writing 39-year old Lewington has played exactly 800 league games and 924 senior games in total.

Last edited:
Back