Association Football Trivia Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,675 comments
Yup - and goalkeepers do come into it eventually too :D

I think it's nothing more complex than a transfer - although his youth career started in the USA, he was then on the books at Hoffenheim, and got one match in for Borussia Dortmund.

His dad played for some of those comedy US teams in the 1990s, like the Tampa Bay Rowdies and Montreal Impact. His dad immigrated to the USA in 1968 and played for the Washington Whips, Darts and Diplomats, for some reason, but his international career was before that, and not for the USA.

I'm stumped.

Hazem emam Sr Sr, Hazem Emam Sr (Hamada Emam)and Hazem Emam JR.
Well, unless Egyptian naming standards are radically different from what I expect (and Spanish ones are - see Marcos Alonso), that's two from three :D Good enough, I SUPPOSE.

All three played for Zamalek too:
Hazem Emam (attacking midfielder) - Egypt; 87 caps (16 goals) - 1995-2005
Hamada Emam (forward) - Egypt; 5 caps (3 goals) - 1957-1974
Yehia Emam (goalkeeper) - Egypt; unknown caps - 1948-1953

I'm stumped.
Have we got any regulars in this thread who are Americans?

We've got a few members who have Singapore as their profile location who might be able to get the bonus point answer, although it depends on how interested in football they are. Those with the highest post counts are @FoRiZon @SomePlayaDude and @Taiga...

Edit: No-one's ever going to get the Malta one, so:
Salvinu Schembri - Malta; 3 caps (1 goal) - 1957-58
Eric Schembri - Malta; 3 caps (0 goals) - 1974-80
Andre Schembri - Malta; 84 caps (3 goals) - 2006-present

Last edited:
Welp, looks like no-one's going to get the other two either, so over to @Liquid for the next question.

For reference they are:
Joseph "Nana" Gyau (Ghana) - 1960-68
Philip Gyau (USA) - 1989-91
Joe Gyau (USA) - 2014

Eldest Gyau won AFCON twice, and moved to the USA in the late 1960s, with middle Gyau born there. Middle Gyau coached the US National Beach Soccer team after retiring in 1994. Youngest Gyau - somehow - came through the youth team at 1899 Hoffenheim, then moved to Borussia Dortmund - making one start for the senior side in 2014 - and has since moved to third division Sonnenhof Grossaspach.

The bonus point answer - and the only example I can find of this is:
Ahmad Wartam (Singapore) - 1963-69
Fandi Ahmad (Singapore) - 1979-97
Irfan Fandi AND Ikhsan Fandi (Singapore) - 2016-present

Ahmad was the Singapore national goalkeeper, while Fandi is probably the country's most famous footballer ever, and certainly the national team's highest score with 55 goals from 101 starts. In an exceptionally unusual twist, two of his five children - Irfan and Ikhsan - both currently play for the national team, with Irfan's debut 2016 (12 caps, 1 goal) and Ikhsan's in 2017.

Which is pretty cool - three successive generations of international footballer, and the current generation has two at the same time!

An orange ball?

Correct!

GILES.jpg

For whatever reason, an orange-yellow ball was used in this final, never to be seen again.

Which club have spent the longest time in the top division in England without winning it?

Note: this is according to their Wikipedia page that cites a page that no longer exists.

Hmm, good question. I'd think Coventry City might be an answer. They were in the top flight here and there from the 1970s to the early 2000s and I don't think they've ever won it.

Hmm, good question. I'd think Coventry City might be an answer. They were in the top flight here and there from the 1970s to the early 2000s and I don't think they've ever won it.
That was going to be my guess too.

Are talking total years in the top flight and never winning, or most years in the top flight between wins?
The first one.

They've been in the top flight for a total of 73 seasons (non-consecutive) and never won it. Their best position was 3rd which they've achieved on 3 occasions. This club has been in the top flight recently (within the last 20 years) but most of their appearances in it have been way back.

The first one.

They've been in the top flight for a total of 73 seasons (non-consecutive) and never won it. Their best position was 3rd which they've achieved on 3 occasions. This club has been in the top flight recently (within the last 20 years) but most of their appearances in it have been way back.
West Brom?
Bradford City?

10 players played every minute of this season's English Premier League.

Five goalkeepers, five outfielders

Go!

This is a fact which is easily researchable on the internet from today so please try and answer honestly.

Ederson
Fabianski
Begovic
Lossl
Tarkowski
Maguire
Tomkins
Hegazi
Shawcross
Mawson
Daniels

That's all I've got for now, all guesses.

Back