Aston Martin DBR9 Confirmed for GT Sport

It made little sense to field the car in GT500 in the first place considering it had a best finish of 14th in every race, which I’m pretty sure is dead last. It was 8 laps down on its first outing.

The Murcielago was a GT1 car that participated in GT300 before the DBR9 ever came along, so it had been done before and makes the GT500 entry make even less sense.

The R-GT was horsepower restricted for GT300. It also was a Reiter developed car and not on par with the Prodrive DBR9 and MC12.

Yeah can’t say I’m too incredibly impressed with the car choice here. Shoehorning another GT1 car into Group 3, where there already exists a very similar car, and reusing the sound from said similar car. But now GT Sport is one step closer to replicating Forza GT, so hurray for that I guess.

(Of course I’m saying all this while simultaneously readying my paint cans for the next update behind my back.)

Sorry but no the DBR9 and the Vantage GT3 are really different from each other.

Just to add some fire to the DBR9's inclusion into Gr3 rather than Gr2...

The DBR9 was developed to two different specifications, one for general GT1 competition in the mid to late 2000s. Most sites and games put that one at around 625 HP and somewhere between 1100 to 1150 kg. On raw power-to-weight ratio, this alone should be grounds for inclusion in Gr2.

As @Suzumiya pointed out, GT500 cars from the DBR9's era use steel brakes, not the carbon discs allowed in FIA GT1, and only switched up when they went to the Class 1 rules. GT1s also only have 280 or 290 mm wide front tires, not the ultra wide 330 wide beasts found on the vast majority of GT500s from the era, thus worse tires too. It's true that the majority of 2000s era GT1s barring the Saleen S7-R and Maserati MC12 definitely don't have anywhere near as much downforce as any GT500 (there's a reason the 550 GTS that ran in GT500 in the early 2000s needed significant aerodynamic mods), but at Le Mans, Monza, or similar power circuits, the GT1s should be able to edge out their Japanese silhouette contemporaries.

However, there's reason to go the other way into Gr3 as well: handicapped further on worse spec tires, and with a curb weight closer to 1300 kg, the DBR9 of the 2010 and 2011 FIA GT1 seasons is only a second faster around Silverstone than a 2019 GT3 car.

Why can't we have both? A '10 DBR9 with its heavyweight handicap, and an upgraded version of the '08 car with period correct aero and weight, but a BOP that puts it at 680 to 700 HP, and modern racing tires? I love the GT500 cars just as much as any fan here, but surely I can't be alone in wanting more variety in Gr2?

Let's just hope they add more class 1 cars later this year and fill out gr.2 with more options such as the 2019/2020 DTM cars (Aston Martin there too) and maybe some of those more prototype looking GT1's (CLK, gt-one...) if one could dream.

GT1 cars are easily on pace with GT500 cars given the right team and proper tires. The MC12 here is adapted to steel brakes and has more weight but still is only 2 seconds back.

unknown.png

Why GT500 cars are in Group 2 but the DBR9 is in Group 3 is a mind boggling decision. Especially when before 2010 GT500 cars did not go over 500 HP.
2 seconds are a lot. GT500 aren't about power, but about downforce. I don't see how would that Aston keep up with them corners.

Yeah I would like modern race cars as well. But you know how Gran Turismo works: PD won't add cars you expect :lol:

Me too. I thought the 488GTB/Pista, Huracán Performante, 600LT, 720S, 918 Spyder, GT2RS and Z06 or ZR1 would’ve been added by now. I started playing GT6 last week just for the vast car selection.

I hated this car back in the day in Forza 5. It was outdated even then and always the fastest AI car. This car is, for me personally, synonymous of the huge issue Forza has with newer GT race cars. GT Sport has a much more attractive Gr3 field, but this is still a rather odd addition since we already had an older GT3 model by Aston, and the new GT3 or GTE car hasnt been added yet. I normally wouldnt complain about new, free content but this is just underwhelming.

2 seconds are a lot. GT500 aren't about power, but about downforce. I don't see how would that Aston keep up with them corners.

They have a lot more downforce than you think they do. The slicks they use were not anything to laugh at either. Like I said though, more weight is a huge factor too. If the MC12 were 1100 kg like the other GT500 cars it would have easily been midpack.

What a nice addition but what about the new generation of GT3 cars like (Vantage GT3 Ford GT3 and that gorgeous Bentley Continental GT3 etc)??

Last edited:
GT1 cars are easily on pace with GT500 cars given the right team and proper tires. The MC12 here is adapted to steel brakes and has more weight but still is only 2 seconds back.

unknown.png

Why GT500 cars are in Group 2 but the DBR9 is in Group 3 is a mind boggling decision. Especially when before 2010 GT500 cars did not go over 500 HP.

GT500 rule book was derivated from GT1 rulebook by the time. This is why some GT1 made the jump. However GT1 were not developed exclusively for GT500 and suffered in term of performance.

Dome raced some Ferrari 550 GT1 in SuperGT.

Before you guys start getting bent out of shape with "ThEy CaN't pUt iT InTo GrOuP.3, iT's tOo FaSt":

Le Mans GT1 pole time in 2010 (last year of GT1):
52 Young Driver AMR Aston Martin DBR9 3:55.025

GT3 Pole time for Road To Le Mans in 2019:
99 Beechdean AMR 3:55.887

Also, remember that GT3's are massively pegged back for that race and that the GTE pole time from last year is:
95 Aston Martin Racing 3:48.000

So if anything, the DBR9 is most likely slightly off the pace from Gr.3 regardless of mental gymnastics.

Last edited:
Wow these are some news to wake up to ! I hope they got the sound at least half decent :nervous: . Edit the sound is the same as the Vantage V12 GT3 im a bit disapointed :( . On another note 2010 ? have they got the model year or even worse the spec wrong :confused: lets wait and see . Edit 2 in order for this car to be a 2010 car it has to ether chassis DBR9/1 or DBR9/2 Both run by Hexis AMR at the GT1 World Championchip but both of these were manufactured in 2005.
Other than the Super GT cars, I can't recall(still haven't looked it up) if we've gotten a group of Gr.3/GR.4 cars in one update.

Did the Group C cars come at once(C9, R92CP, XJR-9)?
The group C's did indeed come together and in the same update as the only new "GR.4" car (Megane Trophy) we got as of now if memory serves and we did get a new (And so far the only legit GT3 car) the 2017 Lexus RC F which was largely a duplicate.
Well we got the McLaren F1 and nobody complain about that
Thats incorrect

unknown.png

Let me just say i beliave you are very wrong but im not going to enter in an argument that will get nowhere so lets say you are correct but did you forget the 2016 GT500 cars exist? in any case the DBR9 is best suited in GR.3 .

Last edited:
Before you guys start getting bent out of shape with "ThEy CaN't pUt iT InTo GrOuP.3, iT's tOo FaSt":

Le Mans GT1 pole time in 2010 (last year of GT1):
52 Young Driver AMR Aston Martin DBR9 3:55.025

GT3 Pole time for Road To Le Mans in 2019:
99 Beechdean AMR 3:55.887

Also, remember that GT3's are massively pegged back for that race and that the GTE pole time from last year is:
95 Aston Martin Racing 3:48.000

So if anything, the DBR9 is most likely off the pace from Gr.3.

Track since then has also been reprofiled, Porsche Curves in particular much quicker.

As i've said, pretty sure it's a 2008 car.

This is just hype as 🤬 :drool: Going with the McLaren F1 GTR and the Ford GT LM, I'm on the camp that's hoping it would be on Gr.3 . The Ford GT LM is essentially a GT1-spec car, with stock power and weight numbers about the same as the DBR9.

Track since then has also been reprofiled, Porsche Curves in particular much quicker.

As i've said, pretty sure it's a 2008 car.

Not sure why you're playing mental gymnastics here, but the 2008 is essentially the same as the 2010 car, is it was basically the ex-works spec from 2008. If you plopped the car into the middle of the current GT3 or GTE fields they'd be off the pace.

Surfacing will get you a handful of time, not an entire 10 seconds

Last edited:
Gotta bring this beast back too. Been in the series since GT2, would fit perfectly

lister_storm-v12-yellow-green.jpg

And why not throw in this monster, that's also been in past GT games?

I'm hoping if they bring back the Lister, they would finally get it in the correct spec. The one in GT2 was just a weight reduction upgrade and not the actual race car. But for some reason, it kept its 1400kg weight all the way throughout the series :odd:

This car doesn't take away from the fact that the Gr.3 Mazda & Gr.4 Supra need to be added for FIA. We might be in line to get 3 race cars next update.

I don't know enough about the Aston to be bothered with what class it's in. Gr.1 & Gr.X aren't utilized enough in this game so I'm fine with it being Gr.3.

I love this car, had the pleasure of seeing the first version when it entered Le Mans 2005, it sounded like a beast and it was so fast. Gonna try and dig out the old photos i took back then...

And about the GR3 thingy.. seriously? We already have all kinds of cars in that category with BOP applied across all cars no matter where they originated from, it never was a clean group to begin with. The only clean group we had was GR2 until the oldies were added..

Its definitely not a 2010-2011 spec car, it would have a multi plane rear wing if it was. Those 2010 GT1 cars had around 550bhp instead of the 620bhp and the Aston, etc was grandfathered in, so more likely would have had bigger penalties than a true 2010 GT1.

Speed wise I can see why they Gr3 is the most logical, they do need a better structure.

Some lap times from Donington Park GP.

00's GT1 1:26/27
GT3 1:26/27
'95 McLaren F1 GTR 1:31.6
GT4 1:35/36
TCR 1:36/37

So they’re adding the DBR9 to Gr.3? I suppose that makes sense - I recall GT1 cars performing poorly when they competed in GT500.

Still, I wonder where the “loophole era” GT1 cars would be placed, like the CLK-GTR, the Esperante GTR-1, and the R390. On one hand, two GT1 cars are in Gr.3, between the ‘95 F1 GTR and the DBR9. On the other hand, those late-90s GT1 cars seemed a lot closer to prototypes at the time - the Esperante GTR-1 eventually became the Esperante GTP, and I’m pretty sure that car participated in prototype events.

It could be even more interesting if they add the late-90s F1 GTR Longtail. Makes you wonder if it’d join its older iteration in Gr.3, or maybe end up in a higher group?

At any rate, I’m slightly glad that we have a new real-world group to add to the ones likely to appear in Gr.3: The FIA GT1 series, which began in 2009. This could include the Maserati MC12, the Lamborghini Murcielago, the Chevrolet Corvette C6, the Nissan GT-R R35, and the mid-2000s Ford GT. Though those last two may be superfluous since we already have Gr.3 cars based on those same models.

EDIT: If we expand this to when the FIA GT series first started using the term "GT1," in the 2005 season and onwards, this could also include the Saleen S7-R, the Ferrari 550-GTS Maranello, the Ferrari 575-GTC Competizione, the Lister Storm GT, the Chevrolet Corvette C5-R, and the Dodge Viper GTS-R.

But it does seem that at this rate, the Lamborghini Diablo GT1 that raced in GT500, and had appeared in prior games, would be in Gr.3 if it came to GT Sport.

Last edited:
I hated this car back in the day in Forza 5. It was outdated even then and always the fastest AI car. This car is, for me personally, synonymous of the huge issue Forza has with newer GT race cars. GT Sport has a much more attractive Gr3 field, but this is still a rather odd addition since we already had an older GT3 model by Aston, and the new GT3 or GTE car hasnt been added yet. I normally wouldnt complain about new, free content but this is just underwhelming.

I was thinking about the same thing. BUT, i think PD already has all the newer GT3 cars modelled and are holding them back, so they have something really exciting for GT7. It would work for me.

Does anyone remember the GT1 cars that are in the Race Driver GRID ? Imagine if the other GT1 cars like the Corvette C5 / C6 R, Saleen S7, and Lamborghini Murcielago ended up coming, but I think it's just my illusion. :lol:

But my guess about the DBR9, could fit the Gr.3 class.

Last edited:
Back