Aston Martin Enters Formula One as Red Bull's Title Sponsor

So Aston Martin will probably help develop a F1 engine in a few years it will be interesting to see how well they go hopefully they do better than Jaguar.

friends004.gif

As if no-one saw that coming.

Still no Audi and it's only been 23 years.

It's an Aston, who use Mercedes engines, made by an energy drink producer that's powered by a Renault engine labelled as TAG Heuer - which holds a stake in McLaren, which was powered by a Honda but will be powered by a Renault engine labelled as Renault - but which may be powered by a Honda (2018) or Aston (2021) engine... to compete against Mercedes. And Renault.

Keeping up at the back?

So Aston Martin will probably help develop a F1 engine in a few years it will be interesting to see how well they go hopefully they do better than Jaguar.

Most likely not, they weren't all that happy it could be said with the talks for the 2020/21 regs. Their engines are currently developed by Mercedes, so there goes that...and the biggest issue is cash, they're not big with it as far as manufactures go.

It's an Aston [...] made by an energy drink producer

Is it? It's a Red Bull sponsored by Aston. Aston haven't secured naming rights to the chassis designation as far as I am aware and are not involved in the construction of the F1 cars. Red Bull setting up shop with 110 guys at Aston's factory is to do with the road car collaboration and not the F1 team is it not?

If the next year's car is called the AMR14 or DBR6, you might call the car an "Aston Martin". But it's as much of an Aston Martin car in the same way that the Ferrari F2002 was a Marlboro made by a sports car company or the Tyrrell 003 was an Elf built by a timber company.

That said, I could see Aston Martin or Prodrive, whichever you prefer, purchasing the team sometime in the future.

That said, I could see Aston Martin or Prodrive, whichever you prefer, purchasing the team sometime in the future.

At one time Prodrive owned Aston Martin, of course. With this latest announcement I hadn't realised (duh) that there might be a David Richards connection - I'd presumed that it was purely the Mahindra board running the sponsorship talks.

It's an Aston, who use Mercedes engines, made by an energy drink producer that's powered by a Renault engine labelled as TAG Heuer - which holds a stake in McLaren, which was powered by a Honda but will be powered by a Renault engine labelled as Renault - but which may be powered by a Honda (2018) or Aston (2021) engine... to compete against Mercedes. And Renault.

Keeping up at the back?

oh-what-a-m9rmeq.jpg

Didn't Red Bull have Infiniti as their title sponsor? What happened to that?

One of the losses in the midst of the engine row with Renault which led to the whole TAG Heuer rebranding situation.

Infiniti is the luxury division of Nissan, which in itself is part of an alliance with Renault and Mitsubishi. They became a low key sponsor to Red Bull for a couple of seasons (for brand exposure more than anything else I suppose), before getting their name above the door in 2013, much like what is happening now with Aston Martin.

They even had a joint road car development thing going on, but rather than a track-focused weapon like the Valkyrie, we got an FX50 SUV with Vettel stickers on it.

Last edited:
Yep, hence the hilarious Infiniti commercials featuring Sebastien Vettel here in the states - oh, my Infiniti is developed from an F1 car? Choice!

Back