Aston Martin joins the DTM in 2019

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by NaketWookie, Oct 12, 2018.

1. NaketWookie

NaketWookie

BrainsBush, IngRobNy and MaddinICE like this.
  2. MaddinICE

MaddinICE

Some infos on this from todays press conference (German the first minutes, they switch to English then):

3. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Nice to have a bit of variety in the field, I suppose. It's a bit boring seeing only Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz every year.

MaddinICE likes this.
  4. NaketWookie

NaketWookie

Mercedes leaves the DTM end of this season.
    But since AM runs with Mercedes engines...

NotThePrez, 05XR8 and Furinkazen like this.
  5. TheElbows

TheElbows

DTM could use all the help it can get.

Liquid likes this.
  6. GT HP Nut

GT HP Nut

Not a bad news at all. I hope the Vantage DTM looks awesome though. DTM is one of the few remaining series that have good-looking cars. F1, LMP and WRC cars just don’t appeal to me anymore.

I hope they will bring a competitive car on to the field as well. I’d rather they debut in 2020 with a competitive car than they rushing for a 2019 start with a grossly outperformed car.

7. twitcher

twitcher

It’s far from perfect, but this season has actually been really entertaining to watch. Lots of really close on-track battles, the new regs for this year were a massive improvement over previous seasons.

psychoazubi likes this.
  8. TheElbows

TheElbows

I admit I haven't watched this season. DTM is one of those series where I pop in every year or two...check that it's still boring, and then carry on. I'll have to look up some races from this season then. It's just soooo dull to watch most of the past years I've tried.

9. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

It has been excellent this season. They removed a lot of the downforce and it paid off.

10. TheOverdriver

TheOverdriver

It would be unusual seeing a 4 cylinder Aston Martin on track but for me the more the merrier. The DB11 is Mercedes powered so maybe Mercedes might help with the car.

11. forzaturismo

forzaturismo

Great news , looking forward the competition between dtm and super gt next year :cheers:

12. C-ZETA

C-ZETA Premium

Well this wasn't quite the DTM saviour I saw coming. But hey, it certainly does keep it relevant. Now I wonder if any of those Super GT boys are gonna think about giving it a go...and vice versa.

13. FoRiZon

FoRiZon

AMPMROCKETFANN likes this.
  14. bloodyboyblue

bloodyboyblue

How is nobody complaining about a GT/sports car racing in a series that’s traditionally been about sedans and coupes? That’s the strange thing here. It’s not a touring car anymore. Touring cars should be about everyman-type cars. Sure the RS5 and M4 perform similar to the Vantage at this point on the street but the 4 series and A5 are still relatively common and affordable. This is a bit like the AMG-GT or R8 being used as touring cars.

To be fair though, DTM being unified with SuperGT (which is not a touring car series) basically makes DTM a GT series so anything is fair game.

DTM is basically the German NASCAR at this point with its identical silhouettes and engines that have nothing to do with the street cars’, so it doesn’t really matter. It’s just different head and taillights and grille. No different than the Supra stickers being put on the Xfinity car.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  15. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

I think DTM has been racing V8 powered tube chassis since the early 00's.

Liquid likes this.
  16. AMPMROCKETFANN

AMPMROCKETFANN

17. flip55

flip55

Did not see this coming. Glad to hear that there is some interest in Class 1.

Now can we get Alfa Romeo, please???

cal1608h and DaigoD like this.
  18. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

Maybe because people don't want to be seen as whinging about a tedious irrelevance when clearly this a minor issue compared to the potential benefit of the series not folding.

This is factually incorrect. The principle is that the existing design of the bodywork is stretched or scaled to fit a standard platform, with common elements being specified in certain areas. They are not "identical".

19. Liquid

Liquid Premium

DTM has been a silhouette racing series since forever. Aston are as welcome to try as any other manufacturer.

20. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

HWA have stated the engine development for 2019 is nothing to do with Mercedes, this tracks with the idea that it was Mercedes pushing back against the class one regulations because they did not want to spend the money on new development.

Rumours a couple of months back pointed to Maserati...

21. kjeldsen

kjeldsen

The DTM Stream today had some pretty great racing, worth watching if you like this kind of racing..

wolf4263 likes this.
  22. flip55

flip55

To be honest, Maserati would still be pretty cool. A Gran Tursimo DTM would be mean looking.

23. 05XR8

05XR8

When Alfa Romeo was tipped to join (V8)Supercars, this DTM render was floating around.
    [​IMG]

flip55 likes this.
  24. flip55

flip55

25. mustafur

mustafur

DTM is GT racing with Touring Car race formats, has been since 2000.

Tired Tyres likes this.
  26. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

The current rules dictate the car must be a 4 or 5 seater (i.e. no two seat roadsters), and can't have any more than 2 doors on each side of the vehicle... so the Guilia would be fine.