Aston Martin joins the DTM in 2019

Nice to have a bit of variety in the field, I suppose. It's a bit boring seeing only Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz every year.

Not a bad news at all. I hope the Vantage DTM looks awesome though. DTM is one of the few remaining series that have good-looking cars. F1, LMP and WRC cars just don’t appeal to me anymore.

I hope they will bring a competitive car on to the field as well. I’d rather they debut in 2020 with a competitive car than they rushing for a 2019 start with a grossly outperformed car.

I admit I haven't watched this season. DTM is one of those series where I pop in every year or two...check that it's still boring, and then carry on. I'll have to look up some races from this season then. It's just soooo dull to watch most of the past years I've tried.

I admit I haven't watched this season. DTM is one of those series where I pop in every year or two...check that it's still boring, and then carry on. I'll have to look up some races from this season then. It's just soooo dull to watch most of the past years I've tried.
It has been excellent this season. They removed a lot of the downforce and it paid off.

It would be unusual seeing a 4 cylinder Aston Martin on track but for me the more the merrier. The DB11 is Mercedes powered so maybe Mercedes might help with the car.

Well this wasn't quite the DTM saviour I saw coming. But hey, it certainly does keep it relevant. Now I wonder if any of those Super GT boys are gonna think about giving it a go...and vice versa.

How is nobody complaining about a GT/sports car racing in a series that’s traditionally been about sedans and coupes? That’s the strange thing here. It’s not a touring car anymore. Touring cars should be about everyman-type cars. Sure the RS5 and M4 perform similar to the Vantage at this point on the street but the 4 series and A5 are still relatively common and affordable. This is a bit like the AMG-GT or R8 being used as touring cars.

To be fair though, DTM being unified with SuperGT (which is not a touring car series) basically makes DTM a GT series so anything is fair game.

DTM is basically the German NASCAR at this point with its identical silhouettes and engines that have nothing to do with the street cars’, so it doesn’t really matter. It’s just different head and taillights and grille. No different than the Supra stickers being put on the Xfinity car.

Last edited:
How is nobody complaining about a GT/sports car racing in a series that’s traditionally been about sedans and coupes?

Maybe because people don't want to be seen as whinging about a tedious irrelevance when clearly this a minor issue compared to the potential benefit of the series not folding.

DTM is basically the German NASCAR at this point with its identical silhouettes and engines that have nothing to do with the street cars’, so it doesn’t really matter. It’s just different head and taillights and grille. No different than the Supra stickers being put on the Xfinity car.

This is factually incorrect. The principle is that the existing design of the bodywork is stretched or scaled to fit a standard platform, with common elements being specified in certain areas. They are not "identical".

DTM has been a silhouette racing series since forever. Aston are as welcome to try as any other manufacturer.

Mercedes leaves the DTM end of this season.
But since AM runs with Mercedes engines...

The DB11 is Mercedes powered so maybe Mercedes might help with the car.

HWA have stated the engine development for 2019 is nothing to do with Mercedes, this tracks with the idea that it was Mercedes pushing back against the class one regulations because they did not want to spend the money on new development.

Now can we get Alfa Romeo, please???

Rumours a couple of months back pointed to Maserati...

To be honest, Maserati would still be pretty cool. A Gran Tursimo DTM would be mean looking.

When Alfa Romeo was tipped to join (V8)Supercars, this DTM render was floating around.
Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-DTM-render-by-LP-Design.jpg

How is nobody complaining about a GT/sports car racing in a series that’s traditionally been about sedans and coupes? That’s the strange thing here. It’s not a touring car anymore. Touring cars should be about everyman-type cars. Sure the RS5 and M4 perform similar to the Vantage at this point on the street but the 4 series and A5 are still relatively common and affordable. This is a bit like the AMG-GT or R8 being used as touring cars.

To be fair though, DTM being unified with SuperGT (which is not a touring car series) basically makes DTM a GT series so anything is fair game.

DTM is GT racing with Touring Car race formats, has been since 2000.

I realize this is the 4-door, and I believe the rules only allow 2-doors, but still...

The current rules dictate the car must be a 4 or 5 seater (i.e. no two seat roadsters), and can't have any more than 2 doors on each side of the vehicle... so the Guilia would be fine.

Back