Audi Confirms Electric GT Coupe for 2020 (But it Doesn't Look Good for the R8)

That is hot.

I can imagine the Porsche Taycan adopting the same profile and I absolutely cannot wait for both of these to come out.

Not sure if it was deliberate, but it looks a lot like the current A5.

audi-a5_0.jpg

Why not "only" 290hp and 500 mile range?

The same reason halving a Camry’s V6 to a 1.75-liter triple wouldn’t suddenly double the MPG.*

* - not really, but there isn’t a direct relation between output and range, especially in electrics. The Tesla Model S actually gained range when it got the D models...

Why not "only" 290hp and 500 mile range?
Even if you could correlate a reduction in power to an increase in range, do you really think someone looking for a big GT in a price range this is likely to occupy will be wooed by 290hp?

rip tesla your boss smoked weed on tv or something and now everyone's lost confidence in your company at the same time all your rivals have started to roll out their big guns

Electric cars don't produce local air pollutionand that is also a very important aspect of electric that has to be considered.

Bye, bye Porsche 992, hello Audi e-tron GT.

......, then know that there will be very few visual differences between this concept car and the production-ready model coming in 2020.
Source

This just looks right. :drool:

1016f94f-audi-e-tron-gt-concept-4.jpg

Another Cylon car.

iu

Last edited:
I've got a 2014 Audi A7 now, so I'll look to replace it in 2024 with this beauty. Hopefully the 4 years will allow them to fix any type of bugs they might encounter this being only their 2nd electric vehicle. I've got to say, I hope they don't mess too much with this concept because it looks great. I expect the wheels to be slightly less aggressive but overall the concept looks production ready.

The power consumption to produce petroleum and diesel, is higher than the amount an electric car consumes, for the same distance travelled as the ice car.

Always depends on how the fossil fuels are extracted, processed and transported. Remove government subsidies and that industry dies in a few years.

Electric cars still require more energy to produce than ICE cars. Here in Quebec, the carbon footprint is much smaller as we run on hydro. Not the cleanest but less carbon intensive.

How awkward would it be if this turns out to look more desirable than the Porsche Taycan? I know the fastest E-Tron GT will not be as powerful as the Taycan Turbo S, but there could be significant price differences in like-for-like specifications in favour of the Audi.

In reality, this probably doesn't matter; the badge alone would be enough reason for some to choose the Porsche over the Audi.

Eh, an electric quick enough to replace an RS4 whilst offering a decent EV range would be perfect for Audi's positioning anyway. No point trying to make an RS6-level EV when Porsche exists in that space.

New teasers. The car will debut on the 9th

"The E-Tron GT is a gran turismo. This term originally stood for sports cars that were suited for long-distance races," Lichte said. "GT models thus differ from pure sports cars in that they offer greater comfort and a larger interior. As a fully electric gran turismo, the E-Tron GT reinterprets this balancing act by not reducing performance to the sheer output but by attributing a special creative importance to efficiency as well."

The packaging of the electric powertrain allows for a spacious interior with volume on par with a physically larger ICE vehicle. Lichte describes the cabin as "sculptural" with a driver-focused layout. For sustainability, the interior uses lots of recycled materials, and Audi is not offering leather upholstery.

For customers looking for more performance, Audi has an RS variant of the E-Tron GT. Testing of a near-production version shows that it can hit 60 miles per hour (96 kilometers per hour) in 2.88 seconds, 100 mph (161 kph) in 6.86 seconds, and the quarter-mile in 10.94 seconds.

audi-e-tron-gt-teased-front-three-quarters-snow-driving.jpg

audi-e-tron-gt-teased-tunnel-front.jpg

audi-e-tron-gt-teased-rear-side-snow.jpg

audi-e-tron-gt-teased-pair.jpg

https://www.motor1.com/photo/5491877/audi-e-tron-gt-teased-pair/

Interesting to hear about an E-Tron GT RS. In terms of 0-60 time, it slots neatly between the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S (2.88 vs 3 sec and 2.6 sec). Considering how much they focus on it being a grand touring car, I assume this'll have more range than the Taycan, hopefully surpass 300 miles. The Taycan 4S was almost has a 300 mile range when actually driven. They've probably intentionally nerfed the stats for the Taycan despite it being capable just so the E-Tron GT could best it in that regard

It looks exactly like a Taycan, with some sharper lines and different lines.

Meh.

I'll have the Taycan.

So it's a low, relatively impractical Taycan competitor.

I'm curious when any of the European brands are going to get serious about challenging Tesla when it comes to useable and electrically capable EVs. Like, nobody gives a flying flop about how athletic the car is, they want range and space. Tesla offers both first and foremost, with athleticism as the cherry on top. Porsche and clearly this Audi are doing it the opposite way, and none of their SUVs so far offer true EV usability.

What a miserable effort. This car will be mostly irrelevant to the industry. Audi should be ashamed.

Edit: Holy hell I just looked at the age of this thread. They've been teasing this car for over two years and have had a production-looking version for nearly as long, and it's just now making its final debut in February? What on God's green earth has Audi been doing? This thing had better offer the best EV package on the market after such a delay. It should wipe the slate of Tesla and the soon-to-be-delivered Lucid. I have a feeling it won't.

Last edited:
So it's a low, relatively impractical Taycan competitor.

I'm curious when any of the European brands are going to get serious about challenging Tesla when it comes to useable and electrically capable EVs. Like, nobody gives a flying flop about how athletic the car is, they want range and space. Tesla offers both first and foremost, with athleticism as the cherry on top. Porsche and clearly this Audi are doing it the opposite way, and none of their SUVs so far offer true EV usability.

What a miserable effort. This car will be mostly irrelevant to the industry. Audi should be ashamed.

Edit: Holy hell I just looked at the age of this thread. They've been teasing this car for over two years and have had a production-looking version for nearly as long, and it's just now making its final debut in February? What on God's green earth has Audi been doing? This thing had better offer the best EV package on the market after such a delay. It should wipe the slate of Tesla and the soon-to-be-delivered Lucid. I have a feeling it won't.
It seems that you want Europe to build better EV's than Tesla. Or am I mistaken?

Back