Audi Confirms Electric GT Coupe for 2020 (But it Doesn't Look Good for the R8)

It seems that you want Europe to build better EV's than Tesla. Or am I mistaken?
I want everybody to build EVs that minimum compete closely with Tesla. And by "compete" I mean be a good EV before anything else - go far, carry lots of things, charge quickly and easily, etc. I would expect Ford and Chevy to be bad at this but even the premium European brands aren't doing very well at all.

It takes a huge amount of r&d work from these manufacturers to get to a level similar to Tesla. Tesla started early with their Roadster in 2008. Its been 13 years since then. It'll probably take another 2 - 3 years before a manufacturer makes an adequate "people's EV" that you're asking for.
Currently, almost all manufacturers are making EVs that are expensive, because of the profit margins on luxury cars. They'll need recoup enough of the initial investment before creating a cheaper versions as those have slimmer margins.
However, with many countries and states starting to ban the sale of ICEs, I think this'll force manufacturers to move faster.

Didn't Tesla make his EV technology public for all manufacturers to use? If so, European manufacturers should produce better EVs by now.

Last edited:
Leaked photos of the E-Tron GT. As you would expect, but still very attractive.
E-Tron GT 1.jpeg

E-Tron GT 2.jpeg

E-Tron GT 3.jpeg

Interestingly, the E-Tron GT is not using the dual screen approach that has been present in some of recent upper-end Audi models like the A6 and A8.

Last edited:
Meh, way too much design going on at both ends and a middle that's got so little dynamism.

The E-Tron GT has officially been revealed. Starts from less than $100,000/£80,000 with the standard model, while the $140k/£111k RS gets up to 637hp.
Audi-e-tron-GT-RS-9.jpg

Audi-e-tron-GT-RS-5.jpg
Audi-e-tron-GT-RS-10.jpg

Audi-e-tron-GT-RS-8.jpg

Last edited:
That's...nicer than I was expecting. It's still a little racy down the sides for my liking, but the front end is massively improved over current Audi design language.

It takes a huge amount of r&d work from these manufacturers to get to a level similar to Tesla. Tesla started early with their Roadster in 2008. Its been 13 years since then. It'll probably take another 2 - 3 years before a manufacturer makes an adequate "people's EV" that you're asking for.
Currently, almost all manufacturers are making EVs that are expensive, because of the profit margins on luxury cars. They'll need recoup enough of the initial investment before creating a cheaper versions as those have slimmer margins.
However, with many countries and states starting to ban the sale of ICEs, I think this'll force manufacturers to move faster.
You hit on the most relevant point in the bold paragraph.

What separates existing automakers from Tesla is that existing automakers actually want to make money from their products. Tesla made its first annual profit last year and only did so through selling tax credits, not cars. It's also almost certainly - given the rather patchy quality - spending less to actually build cars than legacy automakers doing everything to a higher standard and with vastly more R&D, so its profit margins are likely much higher.

The idea that companies like Audi are technologically behind Tesla is probably a bit wide of the mark. Particularly given Tesla's open patents - if another company wanted to do something like-for-like, they could do so pretty easily. I suspect it's more a case that legacy automakers hold themselves to much higher standards and wouldn't treat their owners as beta testers, something Tesla's religious fanbase lets it get away with.

IMG_5359.JPG

RNWA1287.JPG

I drove the prototype late last year, and then a Taycan a couple of days later as I'd not tried one previously and wanted some comparison before writing a review.

I prefer the Porsche's styling and the actual design of the interior, but I think the Audi might actually be the better car on balance. It's more affordably priced, is set up to feel slightly more relaxed and GT-like (it rides better, responds more smoothly to steering inputs), and as the images show the cabin is a little more usable as it has more physical buttons.

While I've not been able to test it myself, independent testing has so far shown that Taycans seem to outperform official range figures too, so the apparent range gap to Tesla isn't as big as it looks on paper (according to Edmunds a Taycan 4S actually goes further than a Model S Performance in fact).

What everyone else really needs is probably to put proper money into a charging network like Tesla has to improve the user experience. But as far as the cars themselves go, I think legacy automakers are probably already ahead.

Good to see them ditch the 2 touchscreens thing and bring back physical AC controls. Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come for the rest of the range.

Last edited:
A few years ago when I saw this concept car for the first time, I was really excited. But now I'm not anymore. It is a very beautiful car but I guess reality hit me. I'm not going to own this car so my excitement melted like snow in the sun.

I want to see this car in the flesh though and make a test drive if possible. :sly:

Latest Posts

Back