Aussies/Kiwis : Monday Night Racing

• Thread starter Rypien
  • 1,110 comments
I may well make an appearance for MNR. The lineup looks fine, considering the rehashed events from months past.
If I had any quibbles it would be the one-make GTR R35 at Fuji. Hate the car. It would be nice to open it up to everything, ie Nurb GTR etc. I'm sure the R35 is unbeatable there at 700pp so no big deal if you want to drive something slower ?
I shall reserve my right to protest by not showing up for race 1 :)

Hi Ripping, I tend to be with you I prefer open choice car and tune in any instance.

Yes, the R35 is the fastest car at Fuji 700PP if you are Shima-R35, that guy is lightining (but then he doesn't drive anything else, ever), and it is the quickest for most other people, but I have been beaten there a few times by an R8 and by a Clio. Personally I'd be more than happy for you to pick any car you like. Feel free, it can only make the race more enjoyable than does starting without you there at all.

Thanks everyone for some good fun last night. I enjoyed it immensely.

Now if anyone has any tips re the Evo10...... lol.

Rob

Hi Ripping, I tend to be with you I prefer open choice car and tune in any instance.

Yes, the R35 is the fastest car at Fuji 700PP if you are Shima-R35, that guy is lightining (but then he doesn't drive anything else, ever), and it is the quickest for most other people, but I have been beaten there a few times by an R8 and by a Clio. Personally I'd be more than happy for you to pick any car you like. Feel free, it can only make the race more enjoyable than does starting without you there at all.

Thanks everyone for some good fun last night. I enjoyed it immensely.

Now if anyone has any tips re the Evo10...... lol.

Rob

Sounds good to me. Lets call it open then? It is probably the most open current event so it seems illogical to make it a one horse race. I don't mind getting whipped by an R35, as long as i can have a car that I enjoy driving. (ie not the r35 :D ).
Re: the Evo10. Maybe I'll let you have a peek at my tune next week :sly: Its a blast to drive, and you know its quick.

hey guys,

just come on here to say thanks for the racing on monday night.

And i want to say how frustrated i am at how GT5 keeps getting delayed.

Anyway, keep lapping up

Luca

Sounds good to me. Lets call it open then? It is probably the most open current event so it seems illogical to make it a one horse race. I don't mind getting whipped by an R35, as long as i can have a car that I enjoy driving. (ie not the r35 :D ).
Re: the Evo10. Maybe I'll let you have a peek at my tune next week :sly: Its a blast to drive, and you know its quick.

Have changed race spec to offer R35 or open.

Looking forward to some tips on the Evo. Your tune is lightning alright. Are you using that staggered tyres tune, sticky front, S rear? The sort of thing Rudraiser was using to do impossible times last month at Suzuka (he had a couple of secs on anything I could do in any car, lol, including the Evo using his tune).

I'll check out Paulie's tune in prep.

If I can't stear it with my foot........

Revised - Last Gasp MNR GT5P - Nov 2010 (some start time changes and Fuji race declared open car)

Start times - AU/NZ pm

7.30/9.30 - Fuji 700PP - GTR R35 and/or Open car choice (up to you)- open tune

7.55/9.55 - HSR 600PP - Evo10 - open tune

8.20/10.20 - Suzuka PP550 FWD - Integra R - S3 tyres only

8.55/10.55 - Eiger North PP550 RWD - Open choice car and tune

9.25/11.25 - Daytona Road - Corvette Z06 - fixed tune & tyres

Cool Rob
Will post this over at TTR for some added interest.

Regarding fuji .. if you have time .. try out the Aston DB9, not the fastest car but some
drivers are dipping into the 1,39 zone (i'm in the 40's) and it's got a great feel.

Eiger - that race was a blur for me .. did not even see what you were driving! All i know the RX7 was not the one.

Hi Guys,

Got the Sig Ed on preorder with JB HiFi down the road.

What are you doing?

I'm a bit concerned about the 3D aspects of the game and its performance on a HD LCD screen. Know anything?

I usually blast through the test levels taking anything I can get. In GT4 mainly bronzes, some silver, a few gold, and then get into the activities as quickly as I can negotiate the path. Come back later and Gold all the tests to confirm what I've learnt about the physics.

Fear the new order, based on the Academy sample, may restrict my competitiveness to the higher powered cars, but thems the breaks, lol, we old guys don't see the lines so well, think I'll need the right foot to be able to get me out of more than a few dumb spots.

And I'm looking forward to getting back to The Ring. Last go round my best was 5.07, a good 25+ secs off the best time of this year's AU Champ, be happy if I can get anywhere near that in a Le Mans car next 12 months.

I think I am going to be pleased at who we see emerging into the very top levels next year. I reckon GT5 will be good for SCR drivers. And I'm looking forward to TORC'ing with the old hands. Looking forward to the new groups that will form. Good luck to us all.

But the big question is: are my 30 F1 2007's (smile, had another 48 before the last PS3 bit it) going to tranfer with my cars and will they be worth anything? Unlikely as I heard they are just going to Arcade mode. Anyone know?

What are / will you be doing?

Rob

Racing to the last drop.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Got the Sig Ed on preorder with JB HiFi down the road.

What are you doing?

I'm a bit concerned about the 3D aspects of the game ....................................

What are / will you be doing?

Rob

Racing to the last drop.

I've also got the sig edition on pre-order, So it will be interesting to see if I get the GT Academy freebie first in the mail. And will the two version require different installs?
The 3D thing is of no interest to me. I don't have a 3D TV and have no intention of getting one. I think the 3D buzz is a fad that will blow over in a year or two. Still way too many downsides to justify the use of it in my opinion.
My progress through the game will probably follow the same path as yours vrrm. i.e. get through licenses and tests as quickly as possible to get to the meat of the game and start earning some game bucks so I can get a good range of cars. I may even leave some disciplines such as rally till a later date.

There will surely be a new level of competition out there, as I think the full game will attract a great deal more patronage than GT5P alone. Many many fast drivers will be emerging from the ether to challenge the ranks that we are all familiar with.

Ah the 'ring. Thats the big drawcard for me. If there were no other tracks in the game besides the North Loop I'd be happy. 5'10" is my time to beat. No rush though.

I've heard no mention in recent months of being able to transfer GT5P $ or cars to GT5, only that you can use the PSP versions earnings as a start. Either way its no biggie to me, I will more than likely follow the path of the game rather than bolstering with top-ups from GT5P. Having to actually earn the money for all the cars will all be part of the challenge, and to be sure we will need a LOT of money - 100 million or so I'm guessing for the full garage.

Its going to be a blast, oh yes.

Interesting question Vrrm.

I will be transferring no cash or cars even if I had the option. To me the whole fun of Gran Turismo is driving my way up through the classes.

Just as yourself I like completing tests as good as possible but not obsessing about them. I leave the obsessin for when I've completed the game :)

I don't care about 3D at this stage but only because we've just bought a brand new 50" LCD earlier this year. I would not buy a non-3D TV anymore. I have seen really good 3D TVs in Japan, that don't require wearing glasses. The quality and depth perception was brilliant and I'm sure nobody wants to go back to non-3D if they can afford it. It's just a matter of time until it becomos the new standard and Sony is doing well to ensure the PS3 including their flag ship titles are future proof.

Looking forward to the game but I feel a bit letdown by the fact we only have 200 cars with cockpit. I realise this is not confirmed 100% ( I guess there could be more in the final version) but to me any other camera is pointless.

M

The 3D question is a vexed one. Earlier this year I bought a large format HD LCD screen for the game. What I'm concerned about is how will a game that is designed for 3D display run on a non 3D display. Will we lose depth perception?

Interesting how various our preferences are. I find cabin view very distracting, just like to see the road.

Rob

Personally I would want to transfer as much as possible (I heard that with the PSP you can also transfer the cars as well..will ask Lion-Face as he is right into it)

It's not that i don't enjoy the whole immersion into career mode thing (i'm so gonna do that) it's just that the online racing part of prolouge was/is quite addictive....and i've got a 500kw Audi sitting in the garage of my PSP that i desperately want to thrash around the nurburg!!

Edit: I'm running the DB9 for the first race...and i also can't use cabin view -mine feels like a cockpit anyway!

Last edited:
Sorry guys..no race for me at all..my PS3 have got YLOD (Yellow light of death)

Per
👎 I have had that happen to me aswell and i know it is not a nice feeling - better get it fixed soon as GT5 is close.

Thanks for the racing last night guy's.
Fuji was my best race..DB9, F430, Viper with Vrrm in the camera/chase/marshal GTR.
Evo - a crazy setup Ripping but wow - you don't need to use the steering wheel at all!
I was rating myself in the Integra until i ran out of talent overtaking Vrrm into T1 - pitted in disgust.
Eiger - no match for the lotus here but a great run in the 512BB against Barf in the RX7.
I started well but fell off the pace towards the end and the Z06 required far more control than i had left.

Noticed that my brake pedal is starting to play up..need to fix that but it will be a mission getting it out of the box.

PS; the leaked GT5 disc's are real!!

Last edited:
👎 I have had that happen to me aswell and i know it is not a nice feeling - better get it fixed soon as GT5 is close.

Thanks for the racing last night guy's.
Fuji was my best race..DB9, F430, Viper with Vrrm in the camera/chase/marshal GTR.
Evo - a crazy setup Ripping but wow - you don't need to use the steering wheel at all!
I was rating myself in the Integra until i ran out of talent overtaking Vrrm into T1 - pitted in disgust.
Eiger - no match for the lotus here but a great run in the 512BB against Barf in the RX7.
I started well but fell off the pace towards the end and the Z06 required far more control than i had left.

Noticed that my brake pedal is starting to play up..need to fix that but it will be a mission getting it out of the box.

PS; the leaked GT5 disc's are real!!

My son had just take a show off to tell me how PS3 looks like inside and tell me the rest is in shopping bag so I think I had to go for shopping soon as well..

Per

A good couple of hours racing last night with a slim but enthusiastic field.
Race 1 at Fuji, 4 different cars - R35, F430, Viper and DB9. Had a gentlemens race where plenty of room was given and the leader often waiting for others to catch up. Had a good dice with Toivonen and Joe90 while vrrm hung back and watched the show in his fast GTR .
Race 2 at HSR, everyone sampling a tune in the EVO X. Was a laugh watching from back as everyone took to the first few corners all wobbly and sideways with no warm up. Soon found their feet and fast laps started getting thrown down.
Race 3, Suzuka in Integra. Much issues with understeer .. did OK in lap one then I started going backwards quickly. I pitted due to poor form. Toiv and vrrm head to head to the finish.
Race 4 Eiger open. Toiv failed on load :(. vrrm and I in 111R's. Probably close in lap times but I never got close enough to challenge after handing the lead over. Joe_ninety and BarfNZ well back in slower cars.
Race 5 Daytona Road in Z06. I found it tough to be quick in this with no practise. crashed too many times, lost the leaders. fail. Toivonen just indecently fast. vrrm put up the best fight to race to the line again.

A fun night amongst friends, all there for the sport rather than the winners cash. nice.
thanks to all.
Good to see you again Toiv, thanks for 'race 6' where I showed you the slow line round Daytona - hope you learnt something .. hehe.
'til next time fellas. :)

Great fun last night gentlemen. Slim field but quality people. Toiv very fast, a pleasure to watch great control on well thought lines in the Corvette.

Ripping, due to our false start and my need to reboot in last race I lost the Evo tune. Would you be kind enough to send via a personal message please?

Thanks

Rob

Ok it's official...the box is going up on the hoist for some much needed upgrades...it has done me proud sinces it's birth back in 2008 and was driven
basically every night for 2yrs solid.

To do list:
New sound system - complete rewire.
Remounting of the pedal rack
Repair of brake sensor
Gear mod for more resistance(plan on going clutch)
Ventilation/filter box for PS3
Additional USB ports
Internal start/kill button for mains supply.
(just in case i crash & burn)
cup/can holder.

Hope to have my baby back on the road soon...awww **** i miss it already:scared:

Last edited:
Last Challenge Race out of GT5P

The first person to get through the licence levels in GT5 posts an MNR schedule in the Events Forum.

Winner gets to crow loud and long.

Rob

GT Academy on TV in New Zealand.
I was channel surfing last night I happened across the first episode of GT Academy on C4 at 1025pm.
For those who want to catch the rest of the series - Thursday nights on C4. Don't know how many episodes it goes for, but they have already gone through 2 of the 5 days at Silverstone.
I didn't see any coverage of the NZ finals, and only brief snippets of some of the other countries finals.

As an added note in the gameplanet.co.nz newsletter

Rumour: Gran Turismo 5 shipping between November 30 and December 8 (vg247) - Indian retailers have been told by Sony that Gran Turismo 5 is very much on course for 2010, a source has told VG247, and will release between November 30 and December 8.

Fact: GT5 released in NZ Nov 25th.

Last edited:
@ Vrrm - i may not sleep for afew days to beat you to the finish!

@ Ripping - thanks for the heads up, I heard that I had missed the first programme from a mate at work and was gutted, but he did not know if
it was a series or not.

As for the next MNR.....i'm not gonna make it....the box is in pieces:scared:
got to get it sorted before GT5 arrives!!:drool:

@ joeninety - i did record the first episode and I will probably record the rest too. I'll try and squash it down to a small file size if you'd like a look. See what you think of the rest of them.
MNR 15/11/10.. just me and vrrm showed up. We worked our way through the schedule and had some great racing between the two of us. I much enjoyed it. Cheers vrrm.! 👍
And for me that will be the last GT5P MNR as I'll be working next week, its been a great meeting over the last couple of years (and FNR) I do remember some epic battles over that time.
Long may the competition continue with GT5 ! See you all there ! :D

Well the box is up and running again after afew late nights under the bonnet but it would seem that my time with Prologue MNR is at a end....I have to go out of town for a few days next week so will miss the final curtain call race.

It has been a pleasure, firstly meeting you guy's and secondly having such intense racing competition.

I'm sure that GT5 MNR will be everything we hoped it would be....but it's got a big reputation to step up to.

See you all on the other side!!
J90 out

Back