Aussies/Kiwis : Monday Night Racing

• Thread starter Rypien
  • 1,110 comments
Hey guys, I'm new around the forums and am looking for some regular race partners to better my skills and have some fun at the same time.

I only use a controller, but am looking to get a wheel set-up soon.

Are there any race teams that are regularly meeting from this area that I could get to know and tag along with?

Cheers for your time,
Sean.

Hi Sean,

There are a number of AU/NZ racing competitions.

This thread is devoted to Monday Night Racing (MNR). Currently it attracts relatively small fields, but the drivers have excellent skills. You can find the current MNR event schedule (times, tracks, cars) I posted for April on the previous page of this thread (see post dated March 26th). All events are at the Pro level.

I don't see why you should not participate using a controller, however, you do need to be aware of the rules. We use the standard GTPlanet.net rules - don't knock people off the track (if that happens accidentally wait for the other driver to regain the track and after the race apologise), preferably make no car contact at all, including no lag nudging.

In very close racing between skilled drivers there can be some harmless contact, but in the first instance I'd avoid any contact at all. Particularly until you see how your speed compares.

You also need to stay on the track, that is, always have at least two wheels on or above the marked track (ripple strips are part of the track). A little latitude is given here, but clear shortcutting is not on.

If you find yourself noticeably slower in a race it is polite to let other drivers through. Most of our events specify a single car, however, in rare races between different cars e.g. say Lotus Elise and Clio on Suzuka the cars perform differently on different sections of the circuit, in that instance, when racing for position it is not necessary to give way, unless the other driver is clearly much faster, lol, in which case you won't have much choice in the matter.

Online racing comps tend to treat participants according to their behaviour, obstruct and bump and you will both find yourself in the sand and be told off in no uncertain terms. Of course AU & NZ drivers aren't like that, we are all very sweet and gentle folk. Seriously, you couldn't want for a more supportive and decent bunch of drivers. Fastas though.

Other drivers may want to add to what I've said above.

Any other questions?

Rob

p.s. There are some very fast people using a controller, however, for 99% of fast drivers a wheel is the go, either Logitech GT, G25 or G27 wheel are the most popular.

You are more than welcome to participate in MNR

Last edited:
Hi Polden-XI
Rob has really given all the information you need to get started with racing us online...all i can add is don't give up! Some of these guys are the fastest on the planet(no lie) and can get abit frustrating
when after the first few corners you are left wondering how the hell they can go so fast!
Took me along time to get up to speed...but it will come if you practice.

I recommend that if you crash or fall off the pace just wait (park up) until they come back around so that you can follow them thru some of the corners to learn the speed and entry angles required to go fast.
The car will 'ghost' because they have lapped you so you will not accidently hit them, but still drive like your car is solid to learn your race craft.

Will be good to see you on track.
Joe90

hi people, can somebody please tell me when is f1 races, ay dont understand english that whell, in what time do we get in, thank you so much

Daylight saving change.

Australia (East Coast) and New Zealand both put clocks back an hour yesterday, so MNR race start times remain as listed in the April event schedule:

April 2010

All cars open tune

7.06 AU (EST) / 9.06 NZ
Suzuka 700PP - Viper tuned

7.36 / 9.36
London 550PP FWD - Integra

7.56 / 9.56
HSR 600PP AWD - Subaru WRX STI 07

8.16 / 10.16
London 550PP FWD - Ford Focus

8.36 / 10.36
Fuji - F2007

Due to Easter break a quiet night Monday, only TIZZLAA and I raced all events. Toivonen was there for the first, but tuned out early, DHolland was in for the last two races.

I lost the first at Suzuka in the Viper by a margin to TIZ (2 secs a lap off his pace, groan).

The second at London in the Integra was close racing, but despite one or two position changes T always had the edge and won.

Won the 3rd at HSR in the WRX 07 after T copped a penalty brushing the wall first turn at HSR. Being the careful old guy sometimes pays off.

Miserable in the 4th driving the Focus at London, Dan cleaned up on R2 tyres, tho T gave him a run for it for a good few laps.

The F1 at Fuji in the last was a blast, Dan won from T a few secs behind while I was 8 - 10 secs back.

Love the F1, don't get why some people are not comfy with it, would prefer if Polyphony would let us tune the thing, but that gripe aside it is the fastest grippiest car in the garage. Oh for the return of the Le Mans cars.

Hope to see you on the grid next Monday.

Rob

Last edited:
Last couple of Mondays there was nothing and no one happening in MNR.

Is anyone interested in events for May?

Last couple of Mondays there was nothing and no one happening in MNR.

Is anyone interested in events for May?

Shifts are slowly moving around for me, so that mean I 'should' be free for the next 2 Fridays.
The last events update was rather dull, the only race that interested me was the Suzuka Event.
This time round it seems a little better, so I'll probably be on for a looksee at FNR (and MNR). I guess if there is a few (ir)regulars on tonight, we might be able to do some testing for the MNR timetable.

Hi guy's.....back for a couple of day's so will try and get some laps in tonight.....have not even seen the new events yet - will hook up on the chats.

May 2010

All cars open tune, except the last fixed tune

7.06 AU (EST) / 9.06 NZ
Fuji 700PP - Ferrari California

7.26 / 9.26
Suzuka East 550PP FWD - car - open choice

7.46 / 9.46
Eiger 600PP AWD - Something by Subaru

8.06 / 10.06
Fuji 700PP - GTR R35 07

8.26 / 10.26
Suzuka - Gran Turismo 350Z RS

Open for comment on any of the above. Personally not moved by the 350Z on N tyres.

Rob

ps no one turned up first night of the month. I'll be there tonight 10/5/10, but if no action will give MNR a miss until there is more interest.

Last edited:
If the absence of interest in MNR competition was not enough to confirm my disinterest in putting together some races for June the current event update has driven the nail home.

Dreary, boring, sad.

If anyone else wants to formulate a race program please feel free.

If the absence of interest in MNR competition was not enough to confirm my disinterest in putting together some races for June the current event update has driven the nail home.

Dreary, boring, sad.

If anyone else wants to formulate a race program please feel free.

Don't be too discouraged.
Let's just hope more Kiwi's/Ozzies find this thread so we get some numbers on a Monday night. I'm guilty myself of not being there, due to TV being hijacked by family (racing after 10pm is best for me)

See you all on the track soon hopefully
M.

mef
...I'm guilty myself of not being there, due to TV being hijacked by family (racing after 10pm is best for me)

See you all on the track soon hopefully
M.

Yeah lol I know what your talking about.:lol:
Perhaps we can get some events going for June?:)
R*

Perhaps we can get some events going for June?:)
R*

Definately! I was actually playing Monday night around 11pm.

Was trying both the Suzuka and HSR expert races but PSN had trouble finding matches. I had two races with one other car in it, then matching failed twice at which point I gave up *sigh*

I really hope GT5 will have working online. What we have now feels like playing a beta.

Any suggestions for an event and car for next Monday? I don't care to be honest as long as its expert so pro physics enforced.

M.

Agreed, Tizzla can probably put together something better than I. But I will try to post some ideas. Time wise from 10pm works best for me. Is that too late for you others?

By the way I'm glad this 'Pacific' Spielberg series on TV is over. More TV time for Gran Turismo now :)

M.

We had some races on monday was great to have some good quality racing again :D

Im not really keen on the scheduled races any more. We just met up and chose a car/track combo and raced that.

Its alot easier and it means we can get to know the car and actually race properly.

I'll post a car/track combo for next week 👍

Sure thing, I suppose we'd best revive MNR and what not since we're now stuck with Prologue for another 5 months.;)

We had some races on monday was great to have some good quality racing again :D

Im not really keen on the scheduled races any more. We just met up and chose a car/track combo and raced that.

Its alot easier and it means we can get to know the car and actually race properly.

I'll post a car/track combo for next week 👍
I totally agree.:)👍

If everyone wants to stick to the idea of logging into the TT-R lounge when they are ready to race, it makes it alot easier to hook up races. If anyone doesn't have an invite to the Chat, just send Tizz, Paulie or myself a pm to let us know you want in.
Hopefully we can get good number's again next week.:D
R*

I totally agree.:)👍

If everyone wants to stick to the idea of logging into the TT-R lounge when they are ready to race, it makes it alot easier to hook up races. If anyone doesn't have an invite to the Chat, just send Tizz, Paulie or myself a pm to let us know you want in.
Hopefully we can get good number's again next week.:D
R*

Yea good idea, and then we can decide what and where we are going to race 👍

Hey Mef, a few of us kiwis did a couple of races last night, but finished up about 10pm sorry.
Might try and do some more racing if there are new events this week.

Latest Posts

Back