Australian Cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 176 comments
  • 11,422 views
*drools* I love monaros!
 
Who doesn't?
 
Originally posted by Schrodes
That would be interesting. There was however only one Australian car in the 1970 ATCC (with any chance of winning anyway). That was Norm Beechey's championship winning HT GTS 350 Monaro.

Since gt4 will only have 6 cars racing, someone driving a GTHO wouldn't be left in the dust, & I wouldn't mind driving the mustangs & camaros either.
 
(some magazine) called the GTO a "Holden turned Pontiac." Holdens and Ford of Australia have nicely-styled cars. Maybe if Australian cars really wanted to make an impact on America, they can open their own exclusive branches to America. You know, like Scion from Toyota.

I knew when I created this thread, I'd whet the paletes of several fans of Aussie rides. And I'm glad I did. Australia has some very nice cars. I don't know how they'd compare to their American counterparts (even on the 1/4 mile), but you HAVE to consider putting in Australian cars. To me, a thing about Gran Turismo is that if you see some kind of new concept in a GT game, it can lead to something much more better. I mean, take the bonus races when you finish all the races in the "Go Race" section from GT1. Then think about the inclusion of rally cars in GT2, not to mention GTP race cars like the Toyota GT1 in GT2. GT3 featured F1 cars, and not to mention the debut of Australian cars with the lone Tickford. GT4 will bring even more surprises. One of which are those LMPs that I can't wait to race endurances with. I would like seeing my driver bobble his head left and right, back and forth trying to keep the car stable in high speed. I think "Le Mans 24 Hours" first demonstrated it, based on games I've played before. When you drive at higher speeds, you can actually sense the driver getting jittery in the cockpit.

But back to the topic at hand, I think Australian cars need to make some impact to the world market. It's the same way I feel about the JGTC wanting to be an international racing series, not just Japan. And I applaud the JGTC for their courage. But Australian cars... my God. Cool cars. Awesome machines with some sweet engine noise (especially in V8 Supercars). Good one, Australia. Great stuff.
 
Quarter Mile Times
Australia
1972 Chrysler E 49 Charger 14.4 sec: 1971 Ford Falcon XY GTHO Phase III 14.4 sec: 2003 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo 14.6 sec: 2003 Ford Falcon XR8 Ute 14.9 sec: 2003 FPV BA GT 14.3 sec: 1969 Holden Monaro HT 15.6 sec: 1977 Holden Torana A9X 15.4 sec: 2003 Holden Commodore VY SS 14.0 sec: 2002 Holden Monaro CV8 14.3 sec: 2003 HSV GTS Coupe 13.6 sec.
USA
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 13.6 sec: 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R SVT 13.0 sec: 1967 Shelby GT500 13.6 sec: 1966 AC/Shelby Cobra 427 12.3 sec: 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Cobra Jet 13.9 sec: 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T Hemi 426 12.9 sec: 1997 Dodge Viper GTS 12.3 sec: 1968 Camaro SS 15.0 sec: 1969 Camaro ZL-1 13.1 sec: 2002 Chev Camaro 35th Anniversary 13.5 sec: 1966 Chev Corvette Stingray 12.8 sec: 1995 Chev Corvette ZR-1 13.2 sec: 2002 Chev Corvette Z06 12.5 sec: 1970 Plymouth Hemi Barracuda 13.2sec
 
Keep in mind, Schrodes. America is big on drag strips and ovals, so it doesn't really surprise me. I still think Holdens can still upset their American counterparts. I mean, make a "USA vs. Australia" race series, and let's see who kicks a$$. Either that, or put some Holdens or Tickfords in SPEED World Challenge. They can do Touring Car (I want them in SPEED GT), or whatever they like. Here's the thing. Start slow in America with these Australian beasts. Then when they get recognized well, POUNCE on them! More competition means better racing. Nice stats there, my Sydney friend...
 
GM (Holden) and Ford (Ford of Aus) are unlikely to allow their Aussie Brethren to compete in the American market. Sure, GM is bringing over a genteled Holden as the new GTO (it will never be a real Goat), but that is due to a hole in GM's lineup.

Ford's last import from Oz was the the Mercury Capri, a two + two convertible intended to compete with the Miata. It beat the Miata on performance, but it sucked in the looks department.
 
We get the Holden Monaro over here in the UK although it's been defaced with a Vauxhall badge it's the same as it is with the Holden badge and it's meant to be a blast to drive.
 
Originally posted by Schrodes
Quarter Mile Times
Australia
1972 Chrysler E 49 Charger 14.4 sec: 1971 Ford Falcon XY GTHO Phase III 14.4 sec: 2003 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo 14.6 sec: 2003 Ford Falcon XR8 Ute 14.9 sec: 2003 FPV BA GT 14.3 sec: 1969 Holden Monaro HT 15.6 sec: 1977 Holden Torana A9X 15.4 sec: 2003 Holden Commodore VY SS 14.0 sec: 2002 Holden Monaro CV8 14.3 sec: 2003 HSV GTS Coupe 13.6 sec.
USA
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 13.6 sec: 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R SVT 13.0 sec: 1967 Shelby GT500 13.6 sec: 1966 AC/Shelby Cobra 427 12.3 sec: 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Cobra Jet 13.9 sec: 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T Hemi 426 12.9 sec: 1997 Dodge Viper GTS 12.3 sec: 1968 Camaro SS 15.0 sec: 1969 Camaro ZL-1 13.1 sec: 2002 Chev Camaro 35th Anniversary 13.5 sec: 1966 Chev Corvette Stingray 12.8 sec: 1995 Chev Corvette ZR-1 13.2 sec: 2002 Chev Corvette Z06 12.5 sec: 1970 Plymouth Hemi Barracuda 13.2sec
That's in a straight line, on a drag strip so what?
 
That's in a straight line, on a drag strip so what?
So I was replying to John's earlier statement:
I don't know how they'd compare to their American counterparts (even on the 1/4 mile)...
America is big on drag strips and ovals, so it doesn't really surprise me.
Yeah, if they have to slow down in a hurry or turn they're ****ed.
 
The Corvette and Viper have proven to be good road racers, although many see them as much as muscle cars than anyone. But I really do miss the Camaro and Firebird/Trans-Am here in the States. These two late-model cars got me into cars in the first place. So I owe some respect to them. As far as Australian cars go, I think they are sleepers. They look like regular "econo-boxes," but they can run with the best of them. I would go out on a limb in saying that when I first seen Holdens in V8 Supercar, that the grills on Pontiacs tried to look more like the Holden Commodore. They were alright in the late 1990s, but Holden is much better. The Ford Falcon is very stylish if you ask me. Ford tends to know style best, but I don't see myself as a Ford person. I love the Falcon as much as the Commodore (Holden). So I say, challenge the American boys, Australia!
 
Ford tends to know style best...
Ford's style department were on holidays when they designed this thing.
 

Attachments

  • au1forte_sunset2.jpg
    au1forte_sunset2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 103
Originally posted by JohnBM01
Ford tends to know style best

this made me laugh, IMHO Ford is the worst, the only reasonable car they styled is the BA falcon only because they had too due to bad sales
 
Falcon S: XD/XE (not sure of XF, didn't own one) I had an XE wagon (the one that looked like a tank) which was a falcon S. Basically it had larger wheels and an S with stripes down the side. I'm not sure if there were any other changes. Very much a handful in the wet.

AU: bigger wheels, spoiler, better equipment than normal. basically an 'end of year special'. Had a big 'S' under the spoiler on the rear side panels.

I'd also like to see the elfins:
elfin1_640x480.jpg

elfin3_640x480.jpg

elfin4_640x480.jpg

Certainly the best looking stripped down racers available :D
 
One word... WOW!!!
 
Originally posted by Glut
Falcon S: XD/XE (not sure of XF, didn't own one) I had an XE wagon (the one that looked like a tank) which was a falcon S. Basically it had larger wheels and an S with stripes down the side. I'm not sure if there were any other changes. Very much a handful in the wet.


I had a Falcon XF in 88. The first new car I ever bought. Quite the difference compared to the 79 Torana I had when I moved to Aus. Wish I could had brought the Falcon back to the US when I moved back in late 89. Actually is more fun than my 99 Viper GTS (and could be driven in snow, whereas you cant in a Viper.
:lol: )
 
Well I'll make you a deal, i'll sent you a 88 falcon. You send me your viper ;)

Welcome to GT Planet too
 
But getting the Falcon up to US specs is a nightmare. Met a guy in CHicago with a Skyline GTR who imported one and it costed him well over $100KUSD total (Car + convert). HE said he waited 6 months from the time he bought it in Japan til he could drive it home. Thats alot more than I spent buying my Viper and repairing the body damage from the previous owner. Only took me 4 months to get the pass rear 1/4 panel, pass door, pass rocker and new hood (that was the pricey part @$4000 unpainted for a newere style hood with the intake vent) and repaint the whole car.
 
Originally posted by JohnBM01
One word... WOW!!!
Ah yes the mighty Elfin's, they are actually a joint project between Holden and Elfin. Elfin being an Aussie open wheeler car maker. Basically its a big Holden V8 shoved into the Elfin styled bodies.

As I mentioned in another topic I attened my first Drift Comp and you will be surprised at the amount of Aussie Muscle that joined in on the drifting. Worth mentioning was this 15 year old behind the wheel of a Holden Ute powered by a 5.0L Chevy V8 dirfting like all the other drift orientated usuals. There were also appearances from Falcons, Gemini's, Torana's etc. Just goes to show how versatile Aussie cars can be.


I couldn't help but notice my username in your respect list there John. Thanks a lot man I appreciate it as I find it very nice that you being from America have such big likings for our Aussie cars its great.
 
The only reason I brought this thread back (for which I apparentely thought was deleted, since I seen another thread entitled "Australian Cars," or something like that. You know, this is going to be one of my more passionate replies. So let's do this.

As I said about Ferrari, I think these Australian cars would be a great addition to GT4, but I don't know if they will actually be there. If GT3 was any indication with the mean-sounding Falcon (meaner in real life and in "Pro Race Driver"), then in my normal theory, the next GT in line will likely expand and play-test the next big thing. So for example, I think the rally craze in GT started with the Subaru Impreza Rally Car from GT1. It was available as a special model, and it had one big weakness for a road race- it reaches its top speed too quickly. So on high speed courses, it would be on its redline for cars with higher top speeds can easily pass it in high-speed areas. And what happened since then? RALLY RACES! And rally CARS! GT has almost never failed my "theory." So I think with the Ford Falcon in GT3, GT4 would either see its return, or its return with a slew of other Australian Fords and Holdens to stir the pot.

Another thing I believe will happen is that if more Australian Fords make it into GT4, they may make it under the American Ford name. Why so? Remember GT2 and the Ford dealer? Look at the cars in the lineup. You note that the Ka and especially the Mondeo aren't sold in America. I've seen Kas before imported from Mexico or Europe or somewhere. The Mondeo, I've NEVER seen in real life. So with my reasoning, Ford Australia may just be in the Ford collection while Holden will be under the Australian menu. Question is, will they make it? And as having known Australian GTPlanet members, I hope they make it into GT4 so that you all can celebrate automobile history, Australian style! And if they don't make it, my apolgies and PD's. Farewell for now.
 
id love to have some v8's in there. if they do include them they should have the different paint schemes, so they dont all look the same, or at least different numbers on the cars. (if there is a v8 supercars event on gt4)
 
the latest australian muscle car magazine made mention that whilst filming the new gt falcon ad, sony employees took photo's of the new ford falcon v8 supercar, fpv falcon gt and the new fpv f6 typhoon.
 
frog250
the latest australian muscle car magazine made mention that whilst filming the new gt falcon ad, sony employees took photo's of the new ford falcon v8 supercar, fpv falcon gt and the new fpv f6 typhoon.

hmm very interesting! i hope they do include them then!
 
Regarding Australian cars, if America get to have their Taurus, we should get to have our Commodore Executives and Falcon XTs (and fortes).

Would be fun to have those 2 cars going at it at the autocross :)

Australia has a lot to offer GT4 and I personally think that we should have a "fair go mate" :)

BA XR6 Turbo
AU3 XR8 220
AU3 Falcon Forte
BA Falcon XT
BA FPV GT
Tickford TS50

VY2 SS
VY Clubsport R8 285
VY GTS Series 2
VX2 SS

Various Toranas, old fords and holdens...

And the game wants to have a fair play in historical significance?
Well the Ford Falcon GTHO was once the worlds fastest sedan 👍 :)
 
GT has had some concept cars in the past. How about a few that didn't make it? A phase IV GTHO, V8 XU-1 and an R/T V8 Charger!
 
Some time ago, I read in a magazine that only Fords are likely to be in GT4 because EA still has the exclusive license for Holden and HSV/HRT from when they were making Need for Speed and V8 challange. I don't know if this licence is still current since the Holden Racing Team were in V8 supercar race driver 2, but I hope it has expired because I really want to see some Holdens/HSV's, as well as some more Fords in GT4.
 
Man... maybe PD's main obstacle is getting over EA-owned cars. I hope Australian car fans will get to respect my views of Australian cars. I see no reason why your cars cannot be in GT4. If GT3 had Tickford, surely, non-Australians or inexperienced car people can get to appreciate Australian cars. If people around the world can play Gran Turismo and relive the Camaro vs. Mustang rivalry on their PlayStations, why not we know about the Holden vs. Ford Australia rivalry? Why not? Ford was born in America, expanded worldwide, owns almost every damn car company, and... I simply think the world (or at least the GT world) needs to know what Australian cars are all about. Australia has too many great cars that are deserving of at least one non-Australian's attention. For people like Eagle, Schrodes, GT3_Freak, and others from Australia, I'd surely like to learn more about Australian autos by playing a world-class game like Gran Turismo 4. It's shaping up to being not only the best GT game ever, or even the best PS2 game ever, it's shaping up to be the best racing game ever PERIOD. End of story.

So passionately, I'd love to see Australia represented in Gran Turismo 4. Even if their cars can't knock off several other cars in the world, it would be sweet. That Holden Monaro won the inaugural Bathurst 24 Hour Race in 2002, and I think it won again last year. That's representation enough. Peter Brock is a great Aussie racer. I remember seeing David Brabham race a Panoz in the ALMS when there was actually competition in the highest ALMS rank of now-called P1. So for these reasons and more, I'd honestly love to see Australia represented not only in cars, but also in locations. Even if it means a ficticious Australian track. And even I would want to race the streets of Sydney under twilight or sunset. So, keep prayer that Australia will be represented in one way or another.
 
Back