Australian GT, Season 1 finished, TheFlash is Champion,Finished 

• Thread starter TDZdave
  • 756 comments
If you mean Grid motorsport then you need to get off the drugs it is not even close to being a race simulator is arcade
Firstly the bogan insult isn't needed. And it's Grid Autosport, not Grid Motorsport. And Grid is close to being on par with GT, but because it is a SIM-CADE, it doesn't need to have the full-on aspect of GT's physics.
Grid is childish codemaster crap at its finest and not even in the same league as GT6
Grid 2 may have been terrible but if you have played Grid Autosport, you would know it wasn't childish nor crap. I'd classify Grid Autosport on the same level as GT6, if GAS had the all important aspect of pitstops. Which unlike a certain game developer (PD), Codies has acknowledged that it is a missing feature and are working to implement it. Oh and did I mention that Codies actually listens to its customers AND keeps in touch with them, unlike PD.
Where Grid would suit ppl on DS3 who can't afford to get even a Logitech driving force
just listen to what this guys says in the first few minutes
Yes, GAS does support people on a DS3, that doesn't mean that people who buy GAS can't afford a wheel. People are buying GAS as it's got the best AI in ANY console racer and really immerses you in the event. Not to mention the massive career. People like myself, do not want to buy a wheel as it's not worth it. Why buy a wheel if you only play now and again as you are to busy with sports and/or social aspect/s of your life? That sums my view up pretty wheel. I barely play anymore as I'm too busy with friends and sport, etc. Now I could go on and list all the reasons why buying a wheel is not anywhere near important for me but I'm choosing not to,
/rant over.

The thing I like about GT6 is you can distinguish the differences in cars with weight, underfloor aero, winged aero etc, The thing that is bloody annoying though is the snap oversteer that seems to have no explanation for it at all,

True. The Audi has an issue. The BMW does too but to a lesser extent. The thing that attracts me to the GT3 class is its diversity. Every car is different in its own unique way. The only two cars that are the same (mechanically anyway) are the Audi and the Lamborgini Gallardo. The later we dont get in gt6 unfortunately. Watch any real gt3 series world wide and see who dominates. Nobody. I for one thinks GT6 portray's this well after a few BOP tweaks. You really notice it a whole lot more when you run with worse tires.

True. The Audi has an issue. The BMW does too but to a lesser extent. The thing that attracts me to the GT3 class is its diversity. Every car is different in its own unique way. The only two cars that are the same (mechanically anyway) are the Audi and the Lamborgini Gallardo. The later we dont get in gt6 unfortunately. Watch any real gt3 series world wide and see who dominates. Nobody. I for one thinks GT6 portray's this well after a few BOP tweaks. You really notice it a whole lot more when you run with worse tires.
If you dig up the right specs for the GT3's that aren't in GT6, you can replicate it to a certain extent. I've found a majority of the specs on the official FIA European GT3 site (not to be confused with the Blancpain Series), however I couldn't find the nitty-gritty of it all (Extra weld points, etc.).

What are you're guys expectations here? Every car to handle like its on rails because it has wings and slicks? If you know of a real sim that gives you that experience let me know. Because ive never driven on it. How do you know what a real GT3 car even drives like? Got one in your garage?

How about a race car that does not handle worse than a trolly? Have you ever in your life heard a race driver say 'it handles like crap but its fast'? I bet never, because fast race cars are fast because they handle.

The difficulty in driving a race car comes from things a sim can take care of for you, like getting the tyres up to temperature or adjusting to the strange clutch. Given that the tyres/brakes are in their working range and you are familiar with the controls and pressures most race cars are far easier to drive than high powered road cars. They have awesome brakes, downforce, light weight and sticky tyres. How could they possibly be hard to drive? If the GT3 cars drove in real life like they do in GT they would be taken straight back to the pits, no driver would put up with that.

Go download Assetto Corsa (which might be on its way to PS4). Drive the GT3 BMW Z4. Its far easier and more enjoyable to drive than in GT6 because its more accurate. You will also note that as iRacing (massively overrated physics) has improved their tyre model the cars have with each update become easier to control, not harder. Real life GT3 drivers (but only those not on the books of iRacing :P) were critising the Mclaren GT3 for spinning far too easily when they first released that car. Games are often harder than real life because sim players think that hard = realistic. It is bad marketing to have a realistic sim, people will say its arcade.

I don't get how the GT3 cars are hard to drive? They are pretty tame, some drivers prepping excuses before they lose eh? :P lol

If you dig up the right specs for the GT3's that aren't in GT6, you can replicate it to a certain extent. I've found a majority of the specs on the official FIA European GT3 site (not to be confused with the Blancpain Series), however I couldn't find the nitty-gritty of it all (Extra weld points, etc.).

The FIA European GT3 Series doesn't exsist anymore. Hasn't done for about three years. It was replaced by the GT1 world series after the true GT1 cars fell out of homoligation at the end of the 2011 season. This lasted 1 season and has since been replaced by the Blancpain Sprint series which is run to the exact same specs and the Blancpain Endurance series. The BOP changes from year to year, race to race as the SRO and FIA see fit. GT3 was designed for that purpose.

How about a race car that does not handle worse than a trolly? Have you ever in your life heard a race driver say 'it handles like crap but its fast'? I bet never, because fast race cars are fast because they handle.

The difficulty in driving a race car comes from things a sim can take care of for you, like getting the tyres up to temperature or adjusting to the strange clutch. Given that the tyres/brakes are in their working range and you are familiar with the controls and pressures most race cars are far easier to drive than high powered road cars. They have awesome brakes, downforce, light weight and sticky tyres. How could they possibly be hard to drive? If the GT3 cars drove in real life like they do in GT they would be taken straight back to the pits, no driver would put up with that.

Go download Assetto Corsa (which might be on its way to PS4). Drive the GT3 BMW Z4. Its far easier and more enjoyable to drive than in GT6 because its more accurate. You will also note that as iRacing (massively overrated physics) has improved their tyre model the cars have with each update become easier to control, not harder. Real life GT3 drivers (but only those not on the books of iRacing :P) were critising the Mclaren GT3 for spinning far too easily when they first released that car. Games are often harder than real life because sim players think that hard = realistic. It is bad marketing to have a realistic sim, people will say its arcade.

What handles like a trolly? Have I heard someone say "it handles like crap, but its fast"? no. Have I heard drivers say "its scary, but its fast so it'll do the job" yes plenty you see this in endurance racing all the time. That's the difference, finding speed with a car that's not to your liking but still gets you results, and parking it up and complaining its to hard.

I still come back to the point that how do you know what a GT3 car feels like to drive? You cant tell us its more accurate on Assetto Corsa or iRacing than GT6 because whats your claim based upon? You don't have a real one to compare it against.

Join a room, jump on the track and just sit in the pits for 5min. The tires will go cold, and the brakes for whatever reason will also. Now leave the pits, try telling me that it doesn't take time for them to then come up to temp so you can start pushing? Does a real race car not suffer from this also? In GT6 this takes anything from a couple of corners with RS tires to a lap with RH tires.

Now I get that the underlying issue here is that yourself and NW are having "handling issues" we all have at some stage. Except ours where at the start of the season. 10 races ago. We have for the most part got them sorted. You guys have joined 3/4 of the way into the season and have expected to be able to jump in and be on pace. Sadly that hasn't happened. Id like nothing more for there to be a full field of guys who can all show up at any given round and be able to fight for the win. That would make for even better racing and make the series more attractive for season 2. We have said before that if you need help ask. Ill happily help you tune your car. If you have the dedication to see it through and be positive about it.

Anything else?

No excuses here. I know the problem, its not the cars and it might not be the driver. I'm pretty sure being jammed up in a 30cm space between the front of my bed and steering wheel is far from the best driving position. For now i've just got to suck it up and keep driving the best i can with what i have for a few weeks until I have the money to order a proper cockpit and shift everything to do with the ps3 into the computer room/gym!

The FIA European GT3 Series doesn't exsist anymore. Hasn't done for about three years. It was replaced by the GT1 world series after the true GT1 cars fell out of homoligation at the end of the 2011 season. This lasted 1 season and has since been replaced by the Blancpain Sprint series which is run to the exact same specs and the Blancpain Endurance series. The BOP changes from year to year, race to race as the SRO and FIA see fit. GT3 was designed for that purpose.
The specs changed slightly but as I said, the had all the specs there. So you can run a whole series using the current GT3 cars but with the older specs. That's what I was trying to get at.

Firstly the bogan insult isn't needed.

Firstly I'm sorry if my Bogan insult offended you I didn't realise you're so sensitive (kids of today hay)
but please stop crying about anything that you think is wrong with GT6
no one is putting a gun to you're head and telling you to play it now
if you're so call sim-cade game are more to you're liking perhaps you should just play those
and leave the big boys to play GT6.

ok guys this debate has gone on long enough, both grid autosport and grab turismo 6 have their own threads in which to debate their own problems respectively, please keep this thread on topic from now on, which the current topic is round 10 this week at brands hatch,

ok guys this debate has gone on long enough, both grid autosport and grab turismo 6 have their own threads in which to debate their own problems respectively, please keep this thread on topic from now on, which the current topic is round 10 this week at brands hatch,

Ahh come on Dave, that's not fair. I had just finished making the popcorn!

now we know what you look like It'z
mjcomments.gif

Firstly I'm sorry if my Bogan insult offended you I didn't realise you're so sensitive (kids of today hay)
but please stop crying about anything that you think is wrong with GT6
no one is putting a gun to you're head and telling you to play it now
if you're so call sim-cade game are more to you're liking

Firstly, I didn't say your bogan insult offended me. And saying I'm sensitive is as low as it gets. And I'm not crying about anything that I think is wrong with GT6, I'm just merely comparing GAS to GT6. I didn't say that Sim-cade games are more to my liking, I much prefer the physics of a simulator.

perhaps you should just play those
and leave the big boys to play GT6.
Now this right here is what offends me as you have no idea who I am, so a judgemental comment like that is not at all needed nor neccesary. If you haven't noticed already, I do race, and I do it in real life, not in some console/PC racing game which doesn't even hit the mark of what real racing is, and I race at a high standard that you wouldn't even be able to finish within 3-4 laps of the lead lap. But that's an agrument for another day & place. The point is, don't make false comments about people who you have never met, talked to or seen.

I'll be there in the GTC class, and hopefully @Cobra_GT500 is able to race.

guys there is a strong chance I might not be attending tonight, in the event of my absence greasy will be hosting as usual

What handles like a trolly? Have I heard someone say "it handles like crap, but its fast"? no. Have I heard drivers say "its scary, but its fast so it'll do the job" yes plenty you see this in endurance racing all the time. That's the difference, finding speed with a car that's not to your liking but still gets you results, and parking it up and complaining its to hard.

I still come back to the point that how do you know what a GT3 car feels like to drive? You cant tell us its more accurate on Assetto Corsa or iRacing than GT6 because whats your claim based upon? You don't have a real one to compare it against.

Join a room, jump on the track and just sit in the pits for 5min. The tires will go cold, and the brakes for whatever reason will also. Now leave the pits, try telling me that it doesn't take time for them to then come up to temp so you can start pushing? Does a real race car not suffer from this also? In GT6 this takes anything from a couple of corners with RS tires to a lap with RH tires.

Now I get that the underlying issue here is that yourself and NW are having "handling issues" we all have at some stage. Except ours where at the start of the season. 10 races ago. We have for the most part got them sorted. You guys have joined 3/4 of the way into the season and have expected to be able to jump in and be on pace. Sadly that hasn't happened. Id like nothing more for there to be a full field of guys who can all show up at any given round and be able to fight for the win. That would make for even better racing and make the series more attractive for season 2. We have said before that if you need help ask. Ill happily help you tune your car. If you have the dedication to see it through and be positive about it.

Anything else?

You missed my point. The car does not have a bad setup, it has bad physics. Though I guess you disagree with that
That is fine, but since the car is vastly different in AC then you are by extension saying AC has bad physics, they can not both be accurate. Also car car is not hard to drive, just bad to drive. But if you can get the Audi to do faster laps than I have I'd very much welcome that. However I do have internet access and all the setups for the car that are publicly available, none of which make the car acceptable or more importantly enjoyable.

You missed my point. The car does not have a bad setup, it has bad physics. Though I guess you disagree with that
That is fine, but since the car is vastly different in AC then you are by extension saying AC has bad physics, they can not both be accurate. Also car car is not hard to drive, just bad to drive. But if you can get the Audi to do faster laps than I have I'd very much welcome that. However I do have internet access and all the setups for the car that are publicly available, none of which make the car acceptable or more importantly enjoyable.

Yes I disagree. But thats only my opinion. The MR cars are flawed yes, but not all of them. I'm also not saying AC has bad physics, but last time I checked it was still at version 0.22 so who's to say that wont change before its final release? Anyway i'm over that conversation. Its getting to personal, and this isn't for the benefit of the series.

As for your current problems with the Audi. No i haven't driven it at Brands Hatch. But up till now i have driven it at every other track we have been to. Lion drove it in free prac 1 and i think he said it did 1:20.4xx so thats on pace. Now nobody said you had to drive the Audi. You can change as Dave said. There is a Merc still available I think (best all round car in terms of balance) the BMW M3 is available and I think its just as nice to drive as the Merc. Theres the Vette, lacks a bit of downforce but its still very quick. The GTR is good once the understeer is tuned out. Can help with that if need be. So there's still lots to choose from, just find one you can be comfortable in, put a little time into it or get help and have some fun.

See you all tonight.

Actually I have not yet tested the merc. It just looked slow spec wise so I ignored it. I just want to find a car that is enjoyable to drive, quick or slow. I hate understeer, prefer a very pointy car. The audi is like that sometimes, but then also the opposite the next corner and it just aggravates me. I'll have to test more. See everyone tonight.

firstly I cant make the race guys Ive been called into work,

so grease will be taking over for this evening,

I have lots to learn about tuning these cars. I am sure it used to be that putting on a stage two turbo gave more torque and increased straight line speed at any given BHP limit. But I noticed no other merc running the PP I was at, so when we ducked back into the lobby after qualification I took it off my engine and ran stock. All of a sudden in the race I was geared short, maxing out down the back straight bouncing off the limiter. Why did I go faster?!

Also was it a mistake to do chassis strengthening (cant recall what the actual name is)? Trying to work out why I am so far off the pace. A large chunk of it is gearing, but not all.

Also sorry to Lion, I thought my car was in a dangerous position to I tried to come down to the inisde, thought I had ample time but I guess you must have swerved to avoid and lost control?

Oh Greasy, I knew something would happen when we hit because I was going to hit the limiter and you would not be ready for it. I was not sure where I should position so I kept to the outside hoping you would lounge on the inside. Didnt work out haha.

@nasanu I think you are right about the turbo's to begin with, the seem to me to pull harder in straight lines, but I think you need to focus on what was happening in the prior corner, I found specially with the Audi that it made corner exit's very untidy with the added torque, thus killing your straight line speed, and without the turbo you tidy up corner exits thus giving you the straight line speed,

Well I really need to build some consistency again. Early in the race, got a text message, thought I was safe to have a quick peek at what I had been sent, spun out and hit the wall! I won't be the first to do that too, one of my mate was playing f1 with me around Monaco and crashed out of the lead under safety car because he was texting a friend! Anyway, back on Topic... From there on I just made clumsy error after clumsy error. What was meant to be my final stop I put 20 litres of fuel in instead of 30, so I then had to make a split decision to either pit again and try to run down Nosoks or try and make it to the end which wasn't going to happen. So I pitted and chased down Soks and passed him, then on the final lap I was too busy thinking about what my reply to the text message was going to be and ran off the road and managed to park across the track with Soks following me. With both of us wounded we completed the slowest race to the line with myself accidentally bumping Soks off trying to round a corner with the car pointing in the wrong direction to what it was actually going due to my rear end damage! Hopefully the last round will be a bit less eventful and I can have a trouble free run. Now to get some practice in for the next 2 weeks...

:banghead:

those Mercs make a heckuva roadblock

Apehill up next
Also, did we come to a decision about Battyhurst yet?

:banghead:

those Mercs make a heckuva roadblock

Apehill up next
Also, did we come to a decision about Battyhurst yet?

Could not have done it again even if I tried...

Ape Hill is one of those tracks where if I have a good car I really enjoy it. If I don't have a good car then I want to buy a virtual bulldozer to tear the place up!

I'm still happy to have a bit of a casual night at Bathurst if that's what everyone is happy with.

Well I really enjoyed that race. Cant say I've ever put a lap on the whole field before, especially considering the class of competition we have at the moment. But I guess he who makes less mistakes is deserving of the win! hahaha

100% true flash. I did enjoy the battle I had with Soks pretty much throughout the race. If only I didn't make so many mistakes. I could've been in between Lion, Greasy and yourself somewhere...

@nosoks there will be no Bathurst apehill will be the final,

terribly sorry I missed this one guys, I will be back for Apricot Hill,

can anyone send me the race results from Brands Hatch so I can do the points please, seems things have closed up

Has anyone done any testing for Apricot Hill yet? I did about 20 laps tonight and managed a 1:16.5

my best I a 1.16.1, but cant match it consistently, I average a low 17, so your around the mark

I managed a 1:16.1 but I know I wouldn't replicate it in qualifying as I made a pit stop for tyres only. I think I am basically doing the same times as you then.

I bit the bullet Saturday and ordered a cockpit online, hopefully it will arrive before this race and I can have it all setup in time.

Back