Auto Tech Quiz Game!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Troux
  • 165 comments
  • 8,985 views
sorry. i didnt realize there was one active. i thought everybody was just in conversation.


Nevermind. :)
 
There really isn't any benefit to retarding ignition, it's entirely a safety measure.

I don't know if you meant generally or in that instance, but there can be benefits since anti-lag systems temporarily retard ignition.
 
From what I understand, in all instances. Lower thermal efficiency and less-then-ideal crank angle for ignition, as well as a couple other factors.

I would have also guessed voltage.
 
The ECU does monitor the air fuel ratio using the oxygen sensor voltage.

My understanding of what you are getting at with the second part of that question: The narrow band oxygen sensors in cars don't give a good indication of what the air fuel ratio is, just whether it is rich or lean. So the ECU adds fuel when it's lean and takes it away when it's rich... the result is that the air fuel ratio oscillates between slightly rich and slightly lean. A bad oxygen sensor can begin to react slowly to changes in the air fuel ratio, meaning those oscillations become longer than they should be. The ECU does not use the oscillation in voltage to tell if the mixture is rich or lean, but it can be used to detect a bad oxygen sensor.

That's my understanding of it anyway.
And the oscillations are called....crosscounts. Thats what I was looking for.

The ECU is not reading a voltage and putting it in a formula, it thresholds the voltage and reads it as a single bit indicating either rich or lean. So by my interpretation it is also monitoring these oscillations because it has no information about the exact value of the A/F mixture. By my understanding anyways. I could be wrong, you could be right--thats just how it was explained to me.

Go ahead retsmah. 👍
 
Interesting. The threshold approach makes sense. You should go, restsmah. :)
 
Nah, you got the thorough answer, retsmah. Your go.
 
Fine :)

What type of differential sends equal torque to both tires?
 
Open? The difference in load causes the different wheel speeds.
 
Open diff is right.

Wasn't sure if that would be difficult or not :) As most people know the open diff will send most of it's POWER to one wheel when it begins spinning. However, it always sends equal TORQUE to both wheels.
 
Since skip isnt here:

I have 950 horsepower, no transmission and weight 1300 lbs

This does have wheels btw
 
Whoops sorry guys I was out of town until this morning and I forgot!

...and I have no idea what the answer to opendriver's question is.
 
Opendriver, are you saying that this is direct-drive?


(Is it some sort of entry from the "What can you Hemi" contest?)
 
Opendriver, are you saying that this is direct-drive?


(Is it some sort of entry from the "What can you Hemi" contest?)

Yes and no

But it is a rather sneaky question though

it is a V8 btw
 
It's some sort of airplane, I bet.

I can't find any 950 hp airplanes with a V8 though.
 
A dirt sprint car. Maybe?

Edit: Got called for a job tomorrow, so if I'm right, let Skip go, since he "skipped' his before. . . .
 
A dirt sprint car. Maybe?

Edit: Got called for a job tomorrow, so if I'm right, let Skip go, since he "skipped' his before. . . .


Yeah, thats it, just wondering where skip went to...
 
So is it me, or are we gonna give Skip a chance?
 
OK. This is easy if you're old enough. Who (what company) built the Ford GT-40s of '60s LeMans fame?
 
I think it might have been shelby, but it might be something like Ferrari or something along the lines of that
 
Definitely NOT Ferrari. Henry Ford had the project started specifically to beat Ferrari at LeMans when Enzo backed out of a deal to sell Ferrari to Ford.

Not Shelby, either.
 
Lotus?

Lola?

I only know that it starts with L.
 
Pick one, don't be wishy washy.
 
Imma go with Lola.
 
Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding !!!

Winnah!!!
 
Ummmm.... Yay?

O.K. I have no trivia on hand, who wants to go for me?
 
Back