automatic drifting

• Thread starter GangsTaGT
  • 124 comments
Muscle memory, fools! I drive my S14 every day, and don't even really realize I'm shifting anymore. When I first started driving a manual, the the most conscious part of it was the clutch work. I don't even know when I'm messing with the clutch anymore, it just happens, and then all of a sudden I'm speeding and damn, gotta slow down so I don't get a ticket.

I would say that a manual transmission is generally easer for drifting and an auto is easer for racing. Of course, I suppose I have no real authority as far as drifting goes because my history with drifting extends to about 9:00 last night.:dunce:

Before I start to drift, I was used to play in auto, because it was hard to skip to manual. But when I started to pratice speed drift, I sensed that I hadn't full control, because I couldn't control the power and torque band as I want, specially when you are following someone that is going faster than you, and you are drifting, because sometimes you need to put rpm almost at the limit of rpm before it cut in the redline, because if you shift up, your car will lose rpm you grain traction, and that isn't a thing that auto can't do.

For the beginning, auto is good for gain control, because you can concentrate on throttle and brake. But when you already have control over it, and you want to keep developing your techniques, you will need to change to manual, because you will want to control better your rpms and you will want to put them high as possible. If you find yourself struggling because you forget to shift up or down, don't stress, because with time and pratice, it will become natural.

i guess my be-all-end-all is that i use auto on street cars and manual for muscle and race for grip, and auto for muscle cars but manny for the rest on drift. the V8's have enough low end tourque to to use an auto no matter what people say.

Before I start to drift, I was used to play in auto, because it was hard to skip to manual. But when I started to pratice speed drift, I sensed that I hadn't full control, because I couldn't control the power and torque band as I want, specially when you are following someone that is going faster than you, and you are drifting, because sometimes you need to put rpm almost at the limit of rpm before it cut in the redline, because if you shift up, your car will lose rpm you grain traction, and that isn't a thing that auto can't do.
actually, you can keep the auto in gear by holding your upshift button. still not as effective as a manual, but it can be done.

Thats what I do, I keep it on auto then just use the L1 to hold it in a gear, seems to work ok.
Although the only reason I dont use manual really is that my R1 is handbrake and R2 is alternative brakes and my R2 get stuck sometimes, so shifting can be a pain.

i think the manual is better than automatic for drifting, why??!
because when you driving with the manual gear you a better contror for your RPM and the throtel response, for me i think manual is better than automatic.

i think the manual is better than automatic for drifting, why??!
because when you driving with the manual gear you a better contror for your RPM and the throtel response, for me i think manual is better than automatic.

I think throttle response should generally be the same for both auto and manual, but yes you do get better RPM control with manual.

Personnally i am using auto... but i am aware that i need to switch to manual pretty soon... You cannot avoid the fact that sometimes the auto gearbox wont be giving the right power that you need for the situation you are in...

But now i am just really concentrating to fully master the overall drift technics... but as soon as i'll feel comfortable drifting ill sure switch to manual !

Taking Shifting off your concentration is one thing, unable to shift the gear to whichever needed is another. What this means is that if you do not really care about highest performance, you'd go for auto and it'll make your life a lot easier. However, having full control of your car's gearbox makes it so the car will be more of your responsibility, so you'd be able to get into whichever gear is best at the moment.

I personally use Auto since I still kinda suck at drifting in general. I'll probably use manual once i improve Like Akirasan

What I suggest is that if you are coming from driving an auto and want to start driving a manual is to do just regular races don't drift or anything fancy. One thing that helped me was doing drag racing because after awhile you wont have to look at the tack to see what the RPMs are and you will start to shift from the sound that the engine is making. So just drive normal with an ok car and slowly work your way to faster more advanced stuff,

i use a auto to drift. i only been doing it for a month or so but i find it easyer to do. got the DFP i put Nos forward on the shifter and E-brake down on the shifter. when i find the tyres grip i Nos it to break traction... there's a link to my 1st video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P2Fa86984w
i use the SUBARU Impreza Super Touring Car 01 power to the rear wheels as much as possible a lil ballist towards the back, N3 front N2 back no turbo (to keep the lag down) some of the clips are with a manual tho as i took footage over a few days and changed to auto at some point... i just like the E-Brake right there like a real car is and a easy Nos button to hit doesn't hurt either

that sounds good manhezze,
i am not real good at drifting, but i have been racing manual ever since my brother said i was dumb for playing drag racer V3 automatic.Also, I played NFSUG2 and was way faster when I shifted vs Automtic shifting. If you have played forza motorsport, you'll realize how much worse your drifts are if you race automatic. In Forza im a great drifter (not pro) but it isn't as real as GT4 when it comes to countersteering imo.

nah never played Forza before but i do wanna watch that show on feb 21st on speed channel... when i race i use the shifter only lately when i drift i use auto cuz i just like the easy to hit E-brake instead of thumbing for it...

I have always driven and drifted automatic because i had to focus on my driving and not the shifting, but with all this sttuff i hear i might just switch over!

I still don't see how y'all drift auto, doesn't always give you proper shifts. Plus after awhile you'll just shift when you here the engine whine.:sly:

I still use Automatic, simply becasue i want to focus more on my drift entries, they are SO poor. Still, i don't really find anything wrong with auto.

I still don't see how y'all drift auto, doesn't always give you proper shifts. Plus after awhile you'll just shift when you here the engine whine.:sly:

Simple, just watch any of my drift videos. All you have to do is give it gas. It will shift on its own.

For me, I use the gears to determine angle etc... I will try today, (im in a hotel in Idaho :embarrassed:)
When i ge back later ill retry, i havent used an automatic in ages:crazy:

I drift with auomatic. I know it's not proper but i can do it rather well, except at times my drifts get killed by a misplaced shift, can be controlled by R2 sometimes!

Whats the point in using auto? Manual gives you far more control, and adds to the fun as well. I can push the car harder in manual. Also, I'm learning to drive with no driving aids and thats hard on auto.

Whats the point in using auto? Manual gives you far more control, and adds to the fun as well. I can push the car harder in manual. Also, I'm learning to drive with no driving aids and thats hard on auto.

MT is good and all. Using MT sepearates those advanced and Beginners to drifting.

Yes No Aids is tough, BUT however with MT you can create a great amount oversteer if you downshift really efficiently, plus reduction of speed is faster. ALSO, you can reduce low gear burnouts by simply upshifting so your car actually gets going...

AT, is comparably like ASM. Yes it'll help in a broad sense, but cannot help you in tight situations, or not AS well (i.e. efficient Burnout reduction, Downshifting Oversteer, other advanced controls)

Don't get me wrong, I've always AT-ed and i still do today. Once in a while its nice to kick it up a notch and do MT, but i regardless of manually shifting, can still not be able to enter corners very well.

Back