automatic drifting

Discussion in 'GT4 Drifting' started by GangsTaGT, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Tulok

Tulok

interesting, i think the reason you use auto so much is throttle control!
    I bet that if you didnt overcook the throttle so much Trico, you could drift any car!
    Another important thing, regardless of transmission, is your LINE in a general sense, making sure you
    A. enter the outside of the corner and
    B. exit the outside
    is the most important part,
    with enough speed- everything else falls in place.
    +
    I dont shift to reduce wheelspin/burnouts, ill select gear 2 or 3 in a drag race, to get it going faster though. In my honest opinion, shifting up and down through gears 1/2 is an ineficient way of letting off the gas.

2. greg_slideways

greg_slideways

in GT4 i use auto untill i get my g25 racing wheel then its all stick but i have used auto for awhile and in life stick is all ill drive auto is NOT FOR ME

3. stan gtHD

stan gtHD

you're right about drifting in manual transmission. it's way more better because about an hour ago (i think), i pulled off this huge ass drift with the HKS Genki Hyper Silvia RS2 on Apricot Hill and using a manual tranny. It felt good :)

And I've been playing racing games since I was 5 but it was mostly Need For Speed.

4. Rykon Zero

Rykon Zero Premium

i learned to shift on the toyota motor triathalon race car. ;):tup:

5. SlidinSideways

SlidinSideways

I use AT becuase it is just like a MT that shifts for you. I see no need to go to MT but it is not forbidden ... and is quite fun, but when im trying to get my 1.27.032 Lap time with HKS Genki Hyper Silvia RS2 at Apricot Hill i use AT plain and simple.

6. dimplz

dimplz

I use both and depends on the car and the shift point weather i used maunual or auto

7. GSG9

GSG9

automatic shifting is horrible! i can't stand using it while drifting.. drifting standard is the easiest, since you can get a fast start off at the end of a drift..

8. AOS-

AOS- Premium

good point, but im pretty sure someone already had mentioned something like this... so im not sure why you brought up the thread

9. osbeck

osbeck

I drift with automatic, i think i´m gonna drift with manual now, almost of U say that manual i better, Is it?

10. nk4e

nk4e

You have more control, power wise in Manual.

11. Picc84

Picc84

I've never even tried drifting automatic, but I'll tell you, i dont see it working for me, the whole idea of drifting is keeping those wheels spinning which means the revs are high, and i sometimes run EXTREMLY HIGH REVS in mid drift (espically toward the end, or VERY beginning) and if it shifted there, i'd lose it... so I cant see me being able to do it! haha

12. AOS-

AOS- Premium

Hmm That's probably why I don't get as much control of angle as you guys do

13. SolidSnake15

SolidSnake15

I saw a youtube video that says if you hold R2 with auto transmission then it wont shift. Mabey that will help with keeping the angle.

14. DaProfessor

DaProfessor

automatic is way to hard to drift with i fianlly used manuel and i had more control

15. dimplz

dimplz

that is true hold R2 and it doesnt shift up or down

16. osbeck

osbeck

I am not so good at shifting, how can i train my self?
    And why is it so mutch better to drift with manual?

17. Pagan2K

Pagan2K

I also started on automatic and eventually learnt to drive manual.

Either redo the licences with a manual or just practice racing in slower cars.

18. BLITZ_69

BLITZ_69

Go to a track you know very well, in a car you are comfortable in. Or just go to the super speedway and practice. Its just an oval, so you dont have to worry about a lot of corners, and you can get comfortable shifting.

19. Picc84

Picc84

Yep, the more corners the more you will learn, but dont go right to autim ring, and frustrate yourself. try just getting the hnag of going in a streight line, shifing at the right time (try by ear) and downshifting at the right time (prob. the harder one) (learn by ear aswell)

20. nk4e

nk4e

I recommend Trial mountain, the corners aren't too sharp but they become tricky with the lines you want.

21. SolidSnake15

SolidSnake15

Yes, Trial Mountain is a great place to learn mostly all driving styles. That's because you have plenty of road space to mess up on.

After getting decent with shifting try going to Apricot Hill or El Capitan for a better challenge.

For the real test go to Nurburgring and go as fast as you can.

22. Fluke

Fluke

I have been laerning to drift for a week or so now in my S2000, and i only use automatic, with the pad. When i perfect my steering and throttle usage (i drift in the 'power over' style) i will definitely switch to manual, because if you start to find yourself losing speed due to a high angle you can downshift and regain the speed, therefore extending your drift.

But everybodys different ;)

23. Fender_X

Fender_X

I couldn't agree more :D I used to drift auto, but when I switched to manual, it was so much easier to control the drift. Alot of people say that having to change gears is a pain in the :censored:, but the pros seriously out-weigh the cons

24. Red_Line

Red_Line

Yeah that holding the R2 button thing would be a pain, plus it would just be easier to use MT lol.

Anyways even with that R2 button thing, you still can't downshift in a drift to raise RPM's in an AT like you could with a MT, and that will really prevent keeping long drifts.

25. gtxrookie

gtxrookie

well i drift in auto and it isn't bad but when spin outs happen a lot it gets annoying but manual doesn't seem so bad because u just listen and it sounds like from everyone u have a lot more control of the under steering and over steering, power, speed etc i think i am going to go manual. and btw it is annoying when your going for a long drift and it shifts in a higher gear and kills the drift.........

26. SolidSnake15

SolidSnake15

I started out with a MT because I knew down-shifting cause higher RPM which results in tire spin. I knew AT shifting by it's self would mess up the drift. Which is why I never tried AT drifting.

27. gtxrookie

gtxrookie

Well i just tryed out manual drifting for the first time.It take a little getting used to but overall itis alot better then auto becuase u can start drifting in 3rd gear and think it is too much grip bump it down to 2nd and ur good to go. By the way the gear change didn't bother me at all.

Go MANUAL!!!

28. ensiferum

ensiferum

i think its easyeer to use the automatic system instead of the manual system its alot simplyer

29. BLITZ_69

BLITZ_69

Its also easy to use spell check.

30. gt addict

gt addict

No wonder why I have such a hard time drifting I'm have been using automatic