automatic drifting

• Thread starter GangsTaGT
  • 124 comments
interesting, i think the reason you use auto so much is throttle control!
I bet that if you didnt overcook the throttle so much Trico, you could drift any car!
Another important thing, regardless of transmission, is your LINE in a general sense, making sure you
A. enter the outside of the corner and
B. exit the outside
is the most important part,
with enough speed- everything else falls in place.
+
I dont shift to reduce wheelspin/burnouts, ill select gear 2 or 3 in a drag race, to get it going faster though. In my honest opinion, shifting up and down through gears 1/2 is an ineficient way of letting off the gas.

in GT4 i use auto untill i get my g25 racing wheel then its all stick but i have used auto for awhile and in life stick is all ill drive auto is NOT FOR ME

Just FYI. I used to be strictly automatic untill early 1999 when I decided to see what that stick on my Madcatz 2 did. :lol: I've been playing racing games since 1996 and I had never cared to learn to drive manual just because the auto in video games is a manual tranny that shifts for you. So it just made things easier, one less thing to worry about while racing. But now I'm so used to it and it's so much fun I couldn't go back. I learned alot more about drifting once I went to manual also. I been drifting since '97, WAY before I knew what it was called besides just plain fun.

you're right about drifting in manual transmission. it's way more better because about an hour ago (i think), i pulled off this huge ass drift with the HKS Genki Hyper Silvia RS2 on Apricot Hill and using a manual tranny. It felt good :)

And I've been playing racing games since I was 5 but it was mostly Need For Speed.

I use AT becuase it is just like a MT that shifts for you. I see no need to go to MT but it is not forbidden ... and is quite fun, but when im trying to get my 1.27.032 Lap time with HKS Genki Hyper Silvia RS2 at Apricot Hill i use AT plain and simple.

automatic shifting is horrible! i can't stand using it while drifting.. drifting standard is the easiest, since you can get a fast start off at the end of a drift..

automatic shifting is horrible! i can't stand using it while drifting.. drifting standard is the easiest, since you can get a fast start off at the end of a drift..

good point, but im pretty sure someone already had mentioned something like this... so im not sure why you brought up the thread

I've never even tried drifting automatic, but I'll tell you, i dont see it working for me, the whole idea of drifting is keeping those wheels spinning which means the revs are high, and i sometimes run EXTREMLY HIGH REVS in mid drift (espically toward the end, or VERY beginning) and if it shifted there, i'd lose it... so I cant see me being able to do it! haha

I also started on automatic and eventually learnt to drive manual.

Either redo the licences with a manual or just practice racing in slower cars.

I am not so good at shifting, how can i train my self?
And why is it so mutch better to drift with manual?

Go to a track you know very well, in a car you are comfortable in. Or just go to the super speedway and practice. Its just an oval, so you dont have to worry about a lot of corners, and you can get comfortable shifting.

Go to a track you know very well, in a car you are comfortable in. Or just go to the super speedway and practice. Its just an oval, so you dont have to worry about a lot of corners, and you can get comfortable shifting.

Yep, the more corners the more you will learn, but dont go right to autim ring, and frustrate yourself. try just getting the hnag of going in a streight line, shifing at the right time (try by ear) and downshifting at the right time (prob. the harder one) (learn by ear aswell)

I recommend Trial mountain, the corners aren't too sharp but they become tricky with the lines you want.

Yes, Trial Mountain is a great place to learn mostly all driving styles. That's because you have plenty of road space to mess up on.

After getting decent with shifting try going to Apricot Hill or El Capitan for a better challenge.

For the real test go to Nurburgring and go as fast as you can.

I have been laerning to drift for a week or so now in my S2000, and i only use automatic, with the pad. When i perfect my steering and throttle usage (i drift in the 'power over' style) i will definitely switch to manual, because if you start to find yourself losing speed due to a high angle you can downshift and regain the speed, therefore extending your drift.

But everybodys different ;)

You have more control, power wise in Manual.

I couldn't agree more :D I used to drift auto, but when I switched to manual, it was so much easier to control the drift. Alot of people say that having to change gears is a pain in the 🤬, but the pros seriously out-weigh the cons

Yeah that holding the R2 button thing would be a pain, plus it would just be easier to use MT lol.

Anyways even with that R2 button thing, you still can't downshift in a drift to raise RPM's in an AT like you could with a MT, and that will really prevent keeping long drifts.

well i drift in auto and it isn't bad but when spin outs happen a lot it gets annoying but manual doesn't seem so bad because u just listen and it sounds like from everyone u have a lot more control of the under steering and over steering, power, speed etc i think i am going to go manual. and btw it is annoying when your going for a long drift and it shifts in a higher gear and kills the drift.........

I started out with a MT because I knew down-shifting cause higher RPM which results in tire spin. I knew AT shifting by it's self would mess up the drift. Which is why I never tried AT drifting.

Well i just tryed out manual drifting for the first time.It take a little getting used to but overall itis alot better then auto becuase u can start drifting in 3rd gear and think it is too much grip bump it down to 2nd and ur good to go. By the way the gear change didn't bother me at all.

Go MANUAL!!!

Back