Automobilista

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 268 comments
Thinking about pulling the trigger on the game & season pass...is the game worth it?

Anyone knows how it stacks against AC & R3E?

IMG_0504.PNG

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the game & season pass...is the game worth it?

Anyone knows how it stacks against AC & R3E?

If you don't mind the dated graphics and the fact that it's based on rFactor engine, it's definitely worth it at that price. Physics and FFB is on par with AC and sounds are on par with RRRE. It's really one of the most well rounded sims in the market at the moment. Most cars are unlicensed though and most of the vanilla tracks are quite obscure, but nothing mods can't solve.

There is a huge trackpack on Racedepartment mod section which adds some of the more familiar tracks (fan made, so variable quality).

Other than that, just to add that Automobilista has very good FFB and physics, but the limited built in content means you should doublecheck whether you actually want to invest time heavily into that content. If you are more interested in road cars or in prototype or GT racing, for example, then AMS has little to offer.

If by the huge trackpack you mean Patrick Giranthon's mods, then I can assure you they are all of the highest quality possible. Not just some conversion from rFactor, all of his tracks has been upgraded to take advantage of the new features in AMS (DRS zones, reduced grip off line, marble accumulation, etc). In fact, Reiza themselves helped out in the background for some of his tracks, making it Reiza content in all but name (smart move to circumvent licensing if you ask me, but don't tell the lawyers :P).

I saw my first Automoblista stream on Twitch. The game looks great with a nice assortment of cars and tracks to choose from. The person I chatted with on Twitch said this game is more like an upgraded rFactor 2. This is a game I wouldn't mind playing if I had the money. But really, I haven't been buying PC games because I just don't really know what my current PC can actually play. Anyhow, it looks and plays great from what I've seen.

• I haven't been buying PC games because I just don't really know what my current PC can actually play. .
As you can see, the game is not demanding at all.
  • MINIMUM:
    • Processor: 1,8 GHz or 100% compatible CPU
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DX9 Compatible with minumum 1GB Video Memory
    • DirectX: Version 9.0c
    • Storage: 25 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: 3,4 GHz or 100% compatible CPU
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DX9 Compatible with minumum 2 GB Video Memory
    • DirectX: Version 9.0c
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 25 GB available space

Dev update from Renato:

Hello everyone - happy to be back with our first Development Update of 2017!

We hope you all had a good time over the holidays - on our side I´m happy to say the whole team enjoyed some much needed rest over the holiday season, but we have been hard at work and firing on all cylinder again since early january. As usual it´s my pleasure to share with you some of the results, info and previews of the work we´ve been doing since then.

Automobilista going up to v1.5

We´re approaching the final stretch of Automobilista development, with only a few more months now planned until AMS reaches its definitive state, at which point we´ll switch focus 100% to the future.

The pace of development however is not slowing down - quite the contrary in fact. There are a number of nice improvements, big and small which we´ve been laying down the foundation for and will be pushing to deliver over these remaining months. Such is the extent of these developments, that the full sum of them is going to add up to what we´re calling Automobilista v1.5

We´ll be pushing to provide a full overview of these developments along with confirmation of remaining DLCs by our next development update. For now, here´s the stuff in the immediate horizon.

Upcoming V1.3.0 Release

Our next major milestone is v1.3.0 which we´re pushing to release before the end of this month, packing a lot of good stuff. Here´s a breakdown of the most substantial improvements:

On the audio front, having decided he wasn´t happy being just an ace audio engineer, @Domagoj Lovric began exploring the codebase for possible short-term improvements to add some extra depth to the audio experience in AMS. One of these improvements will be the implementation of reverb audio, the initial version of which will already be present in v1.3.0, with much more to come.

@Alex Sawczuk has also somehow managed to find a window in his fairly hectic track production schedule to squeeze some fresh shader improvements and adding support for visible & dynamic track dust. Although the effects of which already present in AMS along with offline marbles, there wasn´t yet a visible dust layer over the track surface. This has now been implemented.

Here is a comparison from v1.3.0 in various track states and also one from the current v1.2.1:

trackcondition1-jpg.1273

The difference looks subtle on screenshots but it adds some noticeable extra depth and life to the track surface while driving in-game. Some of the tracks have already been updated to use these developments so Season Pass owners will be able to check them out in the upcoming beta release expected for tomorrow morning, with most of the other tracks expected to be updated as we progress.

Several car physics have also received some updates for v1.30 as both @Niels Heusinkveld and myself continue to chase for improvements. One car in particular has received special attention as Niels has given the Boxer Cup physics a complete overhaul, with revised aerodynamics, chassis, and the addition of helper springs to the suspension, which substantially improves handling over curbs. The initial version of these revised physics is also coming up with the next Beta update.

One major new feature previously confirmed in our end of the year Dev Update was the Custom Season Tool - unfortunately it´s looking unlikely we´ll manage to complete the full feature in time for v1.3.0, but a number of associated new options & features should hopefully already be in, such as the option to enable a mid-race full course yellow as per the rules in the Formula Truck series, and ability to customize the number of opponent cars from each class in a multiclass event.

You may check a complete list of all the additions, improvements & fixes since the last v1.2.1 release up to the latest Beta in the changelog attatched.

We also have a new car coming up in the next release with the frisky Aussie Racing Car Camaro - further good news is that unlike originally predicted, this will be released as a free car to the base game and not as a DLC.

Here´s a preview of the 3D model which @Sandro Kholodkevich is exporting to the game as we speak:

arc_camaro_ingame-jpg.1271

Work on physics and audio has also been going on in parallell - count on this little motorcycle engine-powered bugger to be a big bucket of fun to drive :)

Legendary Tracks Pt2 - ADELAIDE

V1.30 will also see the release of part 2 of our "Legendary Tracks" DLC series - the famous Adelaide street circuit is coming up in two versions: the longer historical layout of 1988 which hosted the Australian GP from 1985 to 1995, the new modern version along with its Supertruck variant.

Below you can check some WIP previews of this great track:

ams_adelaide_2-jpg.1275

I mentioned in the previous update how demanding street tracks are for the track team, with all the buildings and surroundings which have to be modelled in minute detail as you can see here:

ams_adelaide_1-jpg.1274

The more advanced modern version should be hitting AMS Beta tomorrow, with the historical version is not far behind and expected to be available in the Beta at some point next week:

ams_adelaide_4-jpg.1276

Both versions are extremely fun, flowing drives which will serve well pretty much any car in Automobilista, while also providing plenty of opportunity for close racing. We´ve been enjoying some great battles during our internal tests as can be seen in this short video showing a couple of laps of myself hunting down @Alex Sawczuk with F-Retros around the modern track:

Virtual Xperience developments

@Dave Stephenson has also been hard at work developing our Virtual Xperience portal, and we´ve got a substantial update coming up along with the release of AMS v1.3.0.

wgos7en-jpg.1277

Users will be able to login into VX using their Steam Account - this opens up opportunities to give a more personalised experience in the various areas of VX. In the first instance the settings page accessible from the top naviagation bar provides the much requested ability to override your display name and country flag, overriding the settings collected from Steam.

From this customizable user profile, other users will be able to check out your leaderboard results. Expect this profile to be beefed up with some more interesting info in the future :)

0fm3vdn-jpg.1278

The new Community section will also be available in the next update, providing a one-stop-shop to find communities and leagues serving users of Automobilista and other Reiza titles based on regions served, languages used or days they host races. The league finder in this section will also provide a similar service for leagues so users may find leagues that based on race days, event frequency, or your favourite series.

Community leaders and league admin are invited to submit their information to the directory following the instructions in this topic - every league admin who submits a valid entry will be gifted 2 promo Steam keys for AMS to be given away for his participants.

With these and some other substantial improvements coming up, VX will soon be playing a bigger role in fulfilling the experience with AMS, including hosting some prize awarding competitions. Watch this space!

Last but not least...

2017_fictional_wip-jpg.1272

But we´ll expand more on this and other interesting topics in our next dev update towards the end of march ;)

Last edited:
Though I am not adept with formula style cars, one thing I am impressed with in Automobilista is all the different Formula 1 cars representing different eras of F1 racing. I surely want to try out those Stadium Super Trucks. The game looks great to me. According to a review I saw, I am not going to feel overly disappointed of some mostly Brazilian bias of racing tracks. I am also not offended for a number of fictional cars and trucks. I am fairly intrigued about this game based on impressions from a video review and from some other impressions. I am thinking maybe if I can play rFactor quite well, Automobilista probably shouldn't be too overbearing on my PC.

I actually would give Automobilista a chance had I the money.

Though I am not adept with formula style cars, one thing I am impressed with in Automobilista is all the different Formula 1 cars representing different eras of F1 racing. I surely want to try out those Stadium Super Trucks. The game looks great to me. According to a review I saw, I am not going to feel overly disappointed of some mostly Brazilian bias of racing tracks. I am also not offended for a number of fictional cars and trucks. I am fairly intrigued about this game based on impressions from a video review and from some other impressions. I am thinking maybe if I can play rFactor quite well, Automobilista probably shouldn't be too overbearing on my PC.

I actually would give Automobilista a chance had I the money.
It really is a no brainer. It runs on any decent PC and it's one of the most complete racing games you can currently buy. FFB/ Sounds/ Physics are all great. Track wise there are ton of high quality mods out there too, check out the track pack mentioned above for example.

It's 40 bucks at the moment on steam, but if you don't have the funds be sure to put it on your wishlist as it goes on sale quite often.

I started in Game Stock Car with an average computer. I've since started throwing upgrades at it and the sim just keeps getting better! I will continue to support this developer as my go to racing sim.

I've always loved the Adelaide track so it's a big plus to have an official version. A lot of fun driving around with the V8 Supercars and Formula Classic. The ARC Camaro is hilariously tiny. Sounds like a bunch of angry bees :lol: Feels a bit slow on the straights though.

I'm so looking forward to the F1 2017 look-alike :drool: This year's cars are shaping up to be the fastest ever! Only thing missing is the V10 soundtrack. I hope a modder will swap out the V6T with the Formula V10's engine ;)

I posted this on the official forums as well, but it would be nice to have a generic pre-war Grand Prix car, a 1950s F1 car and the 1000+ BHP monsters from the late 70s/early 80s. Only then would we have the full span of F1 machinery from every decade :bowdown:

I saw my first Automoblista stream on Twitch. The game looks great with a nice assortment of cars and tracks to choose from. The person I chatted with on Twitch said this game is more like an upgraded rFactor 2. This is a game I wouldn't mind playing if I had the money. But really, I haven't been buying PC games because I just don't really know what my current PC can actually play. Anyhow, it looks and plays great from what I've seen.

AMS is more like an upgraded rF1, but ironically it is a much better "sequel" than the actual rF2 is. If your PC can run GTR2 and rF1 comfortably at max settings you should be able to run AMS. It is a little more demanding because of the improved physics and graphics, but on Low settings it should be doable 👍

After giving it some thought, I am strongly going to consider getting Automobilista. I seem fairly compelled to at least give it a shot. There seems to be so much offered in the game to make it very playable and have some great replay value. The lack of a lot of licensed material doesn't bother me much in the least sense. Like I am not going to avoid this game because of it not having a bunch of licensed material. It's the experience to me that matters. That's why I even liked the likes of the ToCA Race Driver games and the likes of the rFactor series. There just seems to be so much to Automobilista to even remotely care if you're a racing/driving game fan. It has the right balance of seemingly everything. That is... unless I want to do some drag racing or some drifting like in Assetto Corsa (neither I have a problem with). So I'm going to do some extra research and check this game out on Steam.

When I think of Brazilian Stock Car, I remember following the likes of JF Racing in posts here on GTPlanet. So that is kind of a unique link or liking in regards to Brazilian Stock Car racing. There have been mods for games like GTR2 and rFactor with Brazilian Stock Cars. This will surely be a new experience to me as there are only so few Brazilian courses I am aware of.

I'll let you folks know if I enter the world of Automobilista... and remember how to spell "Automobilista."

Poking around Twitter, I learned Automobilista will feature a new Formula 1 car based on the current regulation cars. It, reportedly, will not be made in time for the next version update, though. I do admit I love the attention to formula cars in Automobilista with the different F1 car types from different eras of F1.

Now about me getting Automobilista... I haven't yet put down money to get Automobilista, but it has gone on sale from its $29.99 USD price to about $14.99 or so through this weekend. You don't want to take a chance on a game that can't run on your PC or that you think isn't all that good. I am willing to take a chance and pick up Automobilista on Steam along with the Season Pass for all DLC. I don't know- I have a good feeling that I won't be disappointed with AMS. Based on seeing videos and doing my research, this looks like it is going to be a great addition to my collection of racing games. Not entirely a complete game, but it has potential to be great.

Allow me to thank all of you here on GTPlanet for helping sway my interest in this title.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet one of the newest Automobilista players- me! I'll offer a few thoughts from my play tonight. Please note that I bought this game and the Season Pass DLC package in preparing this set of musings.

* For one thing, I think this game is pretty fun. My entire first play was all Test Day action. The first track I tried was the external circuit of Brasilia with a Chevrolet Brazilian Stock Car. The first thing I kind of loved was trying to gather up the car coming out of corners. I am a precision driver, but I do like being aggressive. The power delivery of cars in this game is pretty brutal. It's floor the gas and hang on tight! Equally fun was the Super V8 cars. Super V8 is the unlicensed Supercars Australia series. My only regret was that I wished I didn't do such a horrible driving job around Adelaide.

* I wanted to try some of the other formula cars, but I started off with Formula 3 at a very short configuration of Virginia International Raceway. Next was an attempt to race the Formula Extreme machine at Interlagos. I need a LOT more practice with those things! The power comes on strong, and you need to drive carefully especially if you come out of a spin. I consider myself pretty good at Interlagos. With Formula Extreme, though, I was a novice all over again.

* I knew Stadium Super Trucks was going to be insane... and I was right. Trying the Adelaide SST course, I felt like I immediately had to go into one of the onboard driving cameras as I was making those jumps. These trucks make you appreciate properly delivering power to the wheels along with proper control of weight while driving. I do wish Stadium Super Trucks would do more proper dirt racing, but they are crazy fun.

* The prototype race car was a car I thought would be much more powerful than I thought it would be. But really, it is a fairly simple driving car that is still pretty great to drive. I am almost wanting to imagine this car being like the Mooncraft Shiden in the Super GT GT300 ranks. My run with this car was around the full Kansai course at 6:00 PM (or 18:00). I'm not saying the name of the car because its name fails me.

* I want to try some of the other F1 cars, the utes, and karting. I'll try those out in future plays of this game. Only negatives about this game is that I may want to play this game at a higher resolution because it can be pretty tough trying to read some of the text. I played the game at 800x600, even though my monitor can run up to 1080p. I basically treated Automobilista like rFactor. Curiously enough, there was one sound effect I noticed was a carryover from rFactor when I changed one feature.

People told me Automobilista is a very good game, and now I believe them. It really is like an upgraded rFactor. Maybe this is what I was hoping for when I tried "rFactor 2." I bought the Season Pass DLC package on Steam because I felt really good about Automobilista and wanted to take a chance getting the best offer. So far, I have not been disappointed and don't feel I made any poor decision buying Automobilista. I am not at all offended at a lack of licensed content or the graphics. I am also okay with no weather effects or a proper championship. I think Automobilista is only going to get better. New gold standard of sim racing? Maybe not. But man- it's fun! I don't think I enjoyed rFactor in all the years I played it as much as I did playing Automobilista for just one day. Reiza Studios deserve mad props for a job well done.

I am still new to Automobilista. Since this is a Steam game, I have to try to find everything since I can only access the game itself. That's why I try to stick to having hard copies of games rather than digital downloads. Because at least I know where I installed the data and how to access it all if I need to change or add anything. I can also freely mod and remove mods for games. It's why I got GTR2 from Amazon rather than get the Steam version.

I will have to try to find everything to enhance the experience, including the configuration file for this game.

[UPDATE] I found the folder in question. So I will try to edit some settings and such now.

Last edited:
I am still new to Automobilista. Since this is a Steam game, I have to try to find everything since I can only access the game itself. That's why I try to stick to having hard copies of games rather than digital downloads. Because at least I know where I installed the data and how to access it all if I need to change or add anything. I can also freely mod and remove mods for games. It's why I got GTR2 from Amazon rather than get the Steam version.

I will have to try to find everything to enhance the experience, including the configuration file for this game.

upload_2017-4-9_11-20-44.png

I edited my previous post to reflect that I did find the root folder for Automoblista. I ended up changing the resolution settings to 1024x768. I even changed up the graphics settings to Basic. Everything loads a little faster now.

Now on to my latest adventures.

* I noticed that I had the Stability Control on High, because I set my driving profile to a Casual setup. Can't believe I actually had a fun time drifting with high stability control. I turned it off when I was doing off-road racing. While sliding was more possible, the control was a bit much for me to control. So I dialed the Stability Control down to Low. I even took better advantage of using the handbrake in off-road racing. It was great that I found the off-road racing Mitsubishi Lancers in the dirt category apart from the Formula Dirt machines. I found rally racing wasn't really rFactor's strong suit. Doing off-road racing in AMS is pretty fun.

* When I did the Formula Extreme machines, I tried out using the DRS system. I actually noticed the rear wing changing up when in a DRS zone. That's what I tried out when I raced Interlagos in DRS zones. Since I was doing testing, I can't say I used DRS to try to make passes.

* There was a curious moment when I tried those Formula Trucks. One time, I saw a video where the Formula Trucks were raced, I noticed the driver stopped up a bit before heading onto the Start/Finish straight. A lap I did with the Formula Trucks went foul because I crossed a speed trap at a high speed. Not sure if it is a safety measure or a rule to not go too fast in these big rigs, but this was a crazy experience.

* I tried out the Superkarts and was blown away. The track I used for testing these superkarts was a track I always thought was like a big go-kart track: Brasilia's full circuit. Going north of 120 mph on such low machines was just wicked. I've done kart racing before, but I'd be ripped to shreds trying to drive (let alone race) a superkart!

* My early intrigue of Automobilista was with the various Formula 1 cars. Reiza Studio did a great job replicating some of the different styles of F1 cars. Formula Extreme is the most modern of them all. Formula Reiza is more like the previous style F1 cars. Formula V10 is kind of like my era of F1 when I was learning about racing, being a fan of Michael Schumacher. It took me a while to recognize this, but Formula V12 is kind of like the turbo F1 cars of the '80s and early '90s, as one of my latest motorsports obsessions. Formula Classic was like something I used with GTR2 and rFactor from people who converted these cars into those games. I thought Formula Retro was cool. I curiously did that 1970s Interlagos configuration with this car. It was fun! And finally- there's Formula Vintage. I absolutely love '60s style F1 cars, and seeing and racing these things were a joy.

* An omission from my previous post was that the prototype looking car was the Metalmoro MR18. I didn't mention the car's name because its name failed me in trying to share my musings. The MCR Sports 2000 reminds me a lot of the Radical sports cars.

So you can say I'm really enjoying Automobilista after having played it today and yesterday. As I found a good tool to convert PSD images to DDS through Photoshop, it's opened some new doors in trying to skin cars. That's right- I may attempt to skin cars in Automobilista! Thank all of you who were amused by my musings of AMS.

In the same menu where you can choose to play the game & launch configuration tool there's also a manual. Check that one out, there's some very good suggestions for graphic settings. I play on 1080p60fps with the settings suggested in the manual, the game looks really good for a DX9 game imo.

Back