Automobilista

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 268 comments
So the European Endurance Center GT3 mod has been released for this game, and it is anything but short of excellent. A lot of new cars like the 2015 R8 GT3, M6 GT3, the XKR, and the Viper Competition Coupe. Handles just like GT3 cars should, which is great because most games depict GT3 cars as boats or hard to drive cars.

This game should have its own section When the full game is out. Heard great things about the game and the cars being added as well as mods but waiting for the early access bugs to be crushed before pulling the trigger.

This game deserves its own thread, successor to Stock Car Extreme by Reiza studios whilst we wait for their truly 'next gen' title coming somewhere in 2017:

ss_974c85b43960ccd88a7381a322227f2c7ad5256b_1920.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

image.2016228164747.jpeg

I have downloaded it already, but didn't get the chance to play yet.
For those of you that did so far, feel free to post your impressions :cheers:

This game should have its own section When the full game is out. Heard great things about the game and the cars being added as well as mods but waiting for the early access bugs to be crushed before pulling the trigger.

Not too sure about that. As much as I want AMS to be more popular, as evident from this thread it's not getting much attention. Having it's own section is just gonna make it even more secluded from the main forums.

It's quite stable already despite being in early access. If all you want to do is hotlapping I can assure you it's 100% ready. It's mostly just polishing here and there now. Better get it now before they decide to raise the price for full release.

On a more worrying note, with how long it has taken them to get out of Early Access I'm not confident Reiza2017 is coming at all next year. More time to enjoy AMS I suppose, but I'm interested to how Reiza will try to explain this one.

I'm wondering if with the latest physics and FFB enhancements Niels is talking about; if AMS is now the most sophisticated sim out there. Anyone has a clue how other PC sims compare with regards to refresh rates for the FFB and the way AMS will now simulate throttle/ engine mapping in different gear ratios?

@brownninja97 would you know this for AC?

I'm wondering if with the latest physics and FFB enhancements Niels is talking about; if AMS is now the most sophisticated sim out there. Anyone has a clue how other PC sims compare with regards to refresh rates for the FFB and the way AMS will now simulate throttle/ engine mapping in different gear ratios?

@brownninja97 would you know this for AC?

I'm not sure about the refresh rates. AMS does feel very "jittery" when it comes to transmitting road and kerb surface rattles to the wheel. Much more so than AC despite the tracks not being laser scanned. Very impressive indeed but I feel the player's equipment will be the limiting factor in most cases.

Throttle/engine mapping in AC is already present. In fact, I think they copied the SF15-T's complicated hybrid system for the F-Extreme in AMS :lol: Not complaining though as it made the F-Extreme much more intuitive to drive.

As for V1.0, congratulations Reiza :cheers: I took the Formula Vintage cars for a drive and they are amazing. Probably my favourite cars now. You can still feel similarities to GPL but it is so much more intuitive to drive. In fact I think it may be even better to drive than the Lotus 49 in AC. It's difficult to describe. You just feel more connected to the road somehow. It's still difficult, but you know what the car is doing at all times.

Also tried the Mendig extension track. I expected it to be longer tbh. Still a nice driving road, although I would've liked a version that bypassed the airfield section as it ruins the flow. The Supertruck version with its crossover is a complete hoot! :lol:

I see they also taken my suggestion in the official forums and added extra variations for VIR. Thanks Reiza 👍

I already bought the membership package so I'm all set for future DLCs. Bring it on!

Very impressed with the latest package; I purchased the DLC bundle. I played GT6 with a group that has been together for a couple of years this past Sat. and it was fun but pales in comparison !

For those who don't have 22 minutes of their lives to spare, I have summarised the main points from Niels physics video above. Have a read through, it's amazing what Reiza has managed to squeeze out from this 10+ year engine. IMO, it's not a stretch to say AMS is rFactor 2 Alternate Edition.

Refresh Rates Improvement (compared to GSCE)
Physics - 360Hz to 720Hz
Wheel input - 120Hz to 500Hz
Wheel FFB - 90Hz to 360Hz (independent of FPS)

FFB
Minimum force added
Low speed parking lot effects
Automatic steering angle adjustment
Pneumatic trail (SAT) - FFB drop off as slip angle increase (more defined at limit)

Car Simulation
Drivetrain - rev matching, flatshifting, up to 9 gears supported
Engine orientation - torque effect causes body roll (longitudinal engine = side to side, lateral engine = pitch front to back)
Advanced engine modeling - variable torque multiplier based on throttle position
De Dion rear axle simulated
Flatspot & dirt pickup - temperature dependent (hotter tyre pick up more dirt)

Track Simulation
Dynamic tracks (Niels said it's simpler than iRacing though) - green, rubbered in on line, marbles off line

Extras
Driving aids - factory setting for each car (Formula V10)
AI - physics simplified compared to player, fine tuned to drive better for some cars (Boxer Cup)
DRS
On the fly ARB adjustment (SuperV8)
Mass inertia - Niels didn't explain this that well
Car base setups adjusted to suit new physics

Bonus
Patrick Giranthon, arguably the best modder of AMS, has released a 3GB whopping track pack :eek: His tracks are not just rushed rFactor ports. They are built to the same standard as Reiza originals (surface and graphically). Supports DRS zones and rubbering/marbling effects.

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/automobilista-track-megapack-18-tracks.11779/

Full list of tracks:
  • Barber MS V1.03
  • Barcelona V1.03
  • Bathurst V1.02
  • Eastern Creek V1.11
  • Fontana V1.01
  • Laguna Seca V1.01
  • Magny-Cours V1.04
  • Melbourne V1.06
  • Monza V1.04
  • Nurburgring V1.02
  • Putnam Park V1.02
  • Queensland V1.03
  • Road America V1.03
  • Road Atlanta V1.03
  • Silverstone V1.03
  • Spa V1.03
  • Vanport V1.04
  • Winton V1.02

I don't think even the Season Pass content will have this much tracks, so go get it people! It's the best free DLC ever :D 👍

I've been following this game for a while but I'm unsure whether or not I should buy it. I'm all for supporting Brazilian game developers but even at its current sale price the base game is still more expensive than rFactor 2 or Assetto Corsa.

How is Automobilista compared to rFactor1, Race 07, Assetto Corsa & Project CARS? I'm mainly interested in info on Xbox 360 controller support, options for setting up custom offline races, AI, and handling of modern open-wheel cars.

FS7
I've been following this game for a while but I'm unsure whether or not I should buy it. I'm all for supporting Brazilian game developers but even at its current sale price the base game is still more expensive than rFactor 2 or Assetto Corsa.

How is Automobilista compared to rFactor1, Race 07, Assetto Corsa & Project CARS? I'm mainly interested in info on Xbox 360 controller support, options for setting up custom offline races, AI, and handling of modern open-wheel cars.
I own AC, AMS, and PCARS currently.

If you want a game with a lot of road cars and which a bit newer looking definitely buy AC. PCARS had its good points but it's pretty much dead now and the experience was 'hit and miss' in a lot of areas.

AMS doesn't look as good as AC as it's running on an older engine, and it is mainly focused on racing cars, but IMO it has top notch physics and FFB, day/night transitions, good fast AI, lots of options (custom races and championships) and a ton of circuits and cars you don't see in other games. Sounds are better than in AC.

Both Niels (AMS), and Aris (AC) are physics gurus and both games are on the same level with regards to physics and FFB.

So in essence, road cars, better eye candy and the game that is more of a hype right now (and rightly so)= AC.
All round racing car and event simulator (the more complete game), but older graphics = AMS.

FS7

In addition to what misterdog said, basically AMS is a greatest hits version of rFactor 1, given a full renovation and in my humble opinion, closer to rFactor 2 Alternate Edition than just being rFactor 1.5. Good thing is, it's as moddable as rF1 (although the community has moved on mostly to AC now, it is still fairly easy to convert any rF1 assets to AMS).

Secondly, it is better than AC for actual offline and online racing. It's proven and tested, because the code is 10 years old. Unfortunately it's not as popular, but if you join a league it should be sufficient. Basically it's iRacing lite, if you can call it that.

Controller support, I'm not sure because I only play with a wheel. IMO you're really missing out on the full FFB goodness if you don't have a wheel. Don't even need a top wheel either because again, the code is old and optimised for older wheels when rF1 came out. Despite this, Niels has tweaked the FFB so it's on par and even better than most sims on the market currently.

Cars and tracks - depends on your mindset. Most cars are unlicensed, but the breadth is just incredible. You have F1 from every decade from the 60s until now. Handling is sublime. Vanilla rFactor is problematic with open wheelers, but AMS nails them. In addition you have open wheelers of every tier from gokarts to F3. You have V8 Supercars, LMP2, 911 GT3 and Supertrucks! In addition there's the official licensed stuff like Stock Car Brazil, Mini Cup, Opala Cup, Marcas (similar BTCC), Evo Cup and Rallycross. Sounds are basically 1:1 to real life. You won't find another game with better sounds because it IS basically recording from real life.

Tracks are mostly Brazilian, but they are tracks you will never find in any other game. Variety is good. Also most new tracks they've added are tracks we all know and love (Montreal, Suzuka, Imola, Brands, VIR), so they are branching out. If all else fails, there is always mods 👍

If you look at all that, the price is very good for what it is. Graphics are behind for sure, but let's face it, if you're here for graphics, you're in the wrong market. Think of the price as investment in the future of simracing. IMO, Reiza, Kunos and LFS are the top 3 developers that knows what they are doing when it comes to simulations. They are the few "good guys" in the simracing scene at the moment. They put care into their products, not just treat it as money making ventures. $30 is really a small price to pay if you put it in that perspective. If you can snag it during a sale, it's even better (honestly it feels like a crime though - these guys deserve every cent they can get) 👍

I'm thinking of organizing a monthly TT challenge for AMS too here on GTP if there's enough interest? Hope there's at least 5 or so participants but it would be nice to be able to start this up too.

Sounds good?

I'm thinking of organizing a monthly TT challenge for AMS too here on GTP if there's enough interest? Hope there's at least 5 or so participants but it would be nice to be able to start this up too.

Sounds good?

Would be interesting, count me in :D

After months of denial, the effect of watching all those recent Automobilista YouTube videos by Niels sucked me in to finally purchase the game.

It's interesting comparing expectations and reality. I have to say that graphically Automobilista looks better to me than rFactor 2 through a combination of well made tracks and graphical tweaks to the antique rF1 engine. I expected the opposite. The game front-end is also much nicer to use, and the consistency of content is better than most sims from what I experienced so far (I think only AC has it beat there).

Having spent years fighting rF1's stupidly inconsistent FFB more than actually driving it, I am glad that Automobilista manages to feel good on at least most of the cars I tried, with just a minor adjustment of the FFB settings in game for my T300.

As I hoped, the FFB feel is also way better (to my hands) than "standard" rF1 Realfeel. The SAT effects feel particularly good, and I fully intend to spend most of my AMS play time drifting stuff like the Caterham.

One question for guys who play AMS regularly: Do you leave your wheel drivers at 900 degrees, fix 900 degrees wheel rotation in game and change the steering lock setting per car, or do you just let Automobilista auto-adjust degrees of rotation as it sees fit (and remember to go back into drivers and set them back to 900 degrees before playing other sims)?

One question for guys who play AMS regularly: Do you leave your wheel drivers at 900 degrees, fix 900 degrees wheel rotation in game and change the steering lock setting per car, or do you just let Automobilista auto-adjust degrees of rotation as it sees fit (and remember to go back into drivers and set them back to 900 degrees before playing other sims)?
I leave it on auto adjust. If i'm not mistaken any game that has this feature overwrites this setting in your wheels profiler, so as long as you keep on playing games that feature this like AC or R3E you shouldn't bother with it?

I leave it on auto adjust. If i'm not mistaken any game that has this feature overwrites this setting in your wheels profiler, so as long as you keep on playing games that feature this like AC or R3E you shouldn't bother with it?
AC uses soft lock in game, so I just leave the drivers setting on 900 degrees and cars in game only use part of that steering lock as needed.
With R3E I found I preferred leaving the game set to fixed 900 degrees, and change the steering rack settings of each car in game (you only need to do this once per car, it remembers steering and car-specific FFB settings across sessions automatically). I didn't know it was even able to change the driver rotation settings, but I'm fine with it as is.
Only rF2 of my other sims changes the setting in drivers (i.e. hard lock), so I often forget to reset my drivers since I rarely play rF2...

I guess if AMS does the driver overwriting properly then that will be fine. I'll try it out next time I have the chance, thanks.

How do I disable the driver arms on the cockpit view of the Formula Extreme?
All other cars have only wheel but Formula Extreme has those poorly design arms blocking my view.

GRAB_000.jpg

Saw you opened a thread on the Reiza forum too, so good chance someone will reply there. Does seem to be related to your seat being far backwards. Does moving it closer to the dash make this bug disappear?

Saw you opened a thread on the Reiza forum too, so good chance someone will reply there. Does seem to be related to your seat being far backwards. Does moving it closer to the dash make this bug disappear?
Moving seat forward makes it way worse, driver arms keep appearing and disappearing and make the car undriveable.
If the problem was seat adjustment I'd imagine it would affect every car, not just the Formula Extreme. Seat adjustment is on default for every car, all cars besides Formula Extreme work fine without crappy arms getting on the way.

FS7
Moving seat forward makes it way worse, driver arms keep appearing and disappearing and make the car undriveable.
If the problem was seat adjustment I'd imagine it would affect every car, not just the Formula Extreme. Seat adjustment is on default for every car, all cars besides Formula Extreme work fine without crappy arms getting on the way.
Well that's a buggy bugger then. Hope they sort that out.

Back