Automotive Facelifts - For Better or Worse

The Porsche 928, I honestly think both designs look fine.
DSC_0526-1024x680.jpg

93605041990023.jpg
I find nothing particularly wrong with the early cars, but I think the later cars are more attractive.

I’m going to revive this thread with the Citroen DS3, which I posted in the other thread several minutes ago.

The older DS3 looks better to me:

upload_2018-5-3_22-0-50.jpeg

While the new one’s silver parts at the front and the reshaped grille don’t really appeal to me:

upload_2018-5-3_22-4-56.jpeg

I also like how the Citroen badge forms a part of the grille on the older version.

I’m going to revive this thread with the Citroen DS3, which I posted in the other thread several minutes ago.

The older DS3 looks better to me:

View attachment 733777

While the new one’s silver parts at the front and the reshaped grille don’t really appeal to me:

View attachment 733778

I also like how the Citroen badge forms a part of the grille on the older version.

The front of the facelift looks like it's pinched. The pre-facelift DS3's front bumper flowed much better.

I suppose we should bring this up in terms of...not so good facelifts. The 2019 Camaro.

From this:
2018-chevrolet-camaro-ss-6.jpg

To this:
2019-chevrolet-camaro-0-1-980x620.jpg

I used to the the Original DS 3 was one of the best looking cars in its class, shame the update ruined the front end.

The new Camaro SS is an even bigger disappointment, but the new RS still looks decent.

The problem with the Sonata's new face — and Hyundai isn't alone here — is that there's now too much family resemblance. From far away, it's nigh-impossible to tell it apart from the Accent or Elantra. That unfortunately makes it look cheaper. I don't mind the changes to the rear though.

My dad's got a pre-facelift in a nice deep ruby colour. I'd say it's one of the better looking cars in the class.

For better or worse? The facelift to G-Series 911 from F, with the addition of those impact bumpers. Honestly, while the long hood classics are beautiful cars, the G-Series is now a good looking classic in it's own right today. I can't decide which is better.

F-Series, with the nice long hood and clean bumper.
DSC_3214.JPG

To the G-Series with the impact bumpers
1974__911_Carrera_Coupe__G-Series__2.7_litre__2_.jpg

The front of the facelift looks like it's pinched. The pre-facelift DS3's front bumper flowed much better.

I suppose we should bring this up in terms of...not so good facelifts. The 2019 Camaro.

From this:

To this:
If Camaro does run in Supercars looking like this, I will gouge my eyes out. I will not be able to live with this.

buyers_guide_-_vw_golf_gti_2014_-_front_quarter.jpg

volkswagen-golf-gti.jpg

Looks more aggressive thanks to the new headlights and added lips on the bodykit

skoda-octavia-132tsi-elegance-malcolm-flynn-g1.jpg

skoda-octavia.jpg

Formerly clean design ruined by those split headlights.

The pre facelift Cactus had character and honored classic rallying Citroen's back in the day.

93a4a3057bc6e386f0e29c18c5e1fb0c--c-cactus-citro%C3%ABn-c.jpg

Then they took it all away with the facelift. The Rear in particular now looks terrible, the lights look like they are slipping down the back of the car!

2citroenc4cactus.jpg

2c4cactus.jpg

Yeah, the facelifted Cactus is a real disappointment. It's pretty much removed its character, and it's become more expensive at the same time as they're now positioning it higher in the market. Not a good move all in all.

From this:

To this:

I'm probably going to be alone on this one, but I like the update for the Camaro SS. Heck, even the I4 and the V6's new face looks pretty good. It's not as simplistic as the current model, but they aren't what I'd call bad updates. But that's just me...

The problem with the Camaro is that they have to do something to save the generation, and perhaps even the model. GM made a grave, grave miscalculation in fronting the money to redesign the car to make it dramatically better; but then making it look almost identical all the way down to having the same design compromises (like that hideous trunk) to the outgoing one. Mustang sales immediately exploded when they introduced the current generation (granted they cooled back off); whereas every year the current generation Camaro has been on sale has been the worst year the car has had since GM brought it back. It's gotten so bad that it is on pace to be outsold by the Challenger this year; and while some of that is due to the Challenger being on track for a record year even though sales for the entire segment are down, it is still a nearly ten year old car.

It looks like a rushed as hell emergency restyling because it absolutely is; and if the car manages to make it to another generation GM is going to have to actually make it look contemporary like Camaros originally were instead of trotting out the try-hard GTO Concept styling they were riding to this point.

The problem with the Camaro is that they have to do something to save the generation, and perhaps even the model. GM made a grave, grave miscalculation in fronting the money to redesign the car to make it dramatically better; but then making it look almost identical all the way down to having the same design compromises (like that hideous trunk) to the outgoing one. Mustang sales immediately exploded when they introduced the current generation (granted they cooled back off); whereas every year the current generation Camaro has been on sale has been the worst year the car has had since GM brought it back. It's gotten so bad that it is on pace to be outsold by the Challenger this year; and while some of that is due to the Challenger being on track for a record year even though sales for the entire segment are down, it is still a nearly ten year old car.

It looks like a rushed as hell emergency restyling because it absolutely is; and if the car manages to make it to another generation GM is going to have to actually make it look contemporary like Camaros originally were instead of trotting out the try-hard GTO Concept styling they were riding to this point.
I honestly forgot that there was a new generation, I thought it was the same generation since 2010?

The problem with the Camaro is that they have to do something to save the generation, and perhaps even the model. GM made a grave, grave miscalculation in fronting the money to redesign the car to make it dramatically better...

I seem to remember GM is prone to do this. It's somewhat different, but I recall they spent a LOT of money developing the Kappa platform to compete with the MX-5 and then competitively priced it with the MX-5...but didn't have near the margins Mazda did. Then Mazda released the new (at the time) NC and blew the Sky/Solstice out of the water. So the entire Kappa platform died. And then there was the Atlas engine series which only lasted a few years.

I've loved the overall shape of this 6/Agenda, but always felt the lower part of the bumper has been a bit of an afterthought. The second facelift makes it a bit more visually interesting.

One car that probably has had the most face lifts of all would be the original Volkswagen Beetle. In production for almost 70 years, the car has constantly been updated and kept it's 1930's design almost unchanged. Too many to list but here are two examples in my opinion for the better or worse...

The Better:
1957 Beetle
241_4181-em-800.jpg

1958 Beetle, larger rear window replaced oval for much better visibility. Also small details like the deck lid were updated.
xram005.jpg

For Worse(?):

1966 and prio

GV-Front.jpg

1967/8 Beetle, as federal safety laws were more strict in the U.S, VW had to change the look of the Bug. Headlights were now sealed beam because of a bill in 1967 that stated all imported cars must have sealed beam headlights. This affected the cars aerodynamics negatively.
Also, impact bumpers were
implemented. IMO, although the Beetle still looked nice, however it lacked some of the character and of the older models. But the new model DID have better saftey, power, and creature comforts.
Volkswagen-Kaefer-1200.jpg

1958 Beetle, larger rear window replaced oval for much better visibility. Also small details like the deck lid were updated.
xram005.jpg
That is my favorite iteration of the original Beetle. I thought the proportions on it were just right in comparison to the previous or later versions.

That is my favorite iteration of the original Beetle. I thought the proportions on it were just right in comparison to the previous or later versions.
I see your point. Don't get me wrong, I love the '68 and up Beetles but now as much as the earlier models IMO.

I really like the pre-facelift Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400.
2016-infiniti-q50-red-sport-400-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-665929-s-original.jpg

Not a fan of the facelift with the black lip.
Infiniti-Q50-Red-Sport-400-LSF.jpg

It's a minor one, but the black trim breaks it up too much.

The pre facelift Cactus had character and honored classic rallying Citroen's back in the day.

93a4a3057bc6e386f0e29c18c5e1fb0c--c-cactus-citro%C3%ABn-c.jpg

Then they took it all away with the facelift. The Rear in particular now looks terrible, the lights look like they are slipping down the back of the car!

2citroenc4cactus.jpg

2c4cactus.jpg
NOOOOOOO! They ruined it!:irked:

Back