Automotive Guilty Pleasures

• Thread starter Turtle
  • 1,407 comments
The 3rd-gen Dodge Ramcharger, which was sold only in Mexico, would count as one of my guilty pleasures. I'm surprised Dodge never offered it in the states. The "cab-forward" era Ram actually looks quite good as a 2-door SUV.

There would definitely been a market for this outside Mexico.
Looks like a Cararvan on the back of a Ram pick-up.
A completely base spec Skyline R33. The HR33 GT-S Sedan, with just 127hp from a SOHC 2.0L I6 and not one pretense of sportiness or flashiness.

And here's the HR33 GT-S Type XG, which was better equipped and had 152hp from a DOHC 2.0L I6.

Seeing more of these on roads. Driven by men my age and older.

I love that Manta....

Vauxhaull Chevette
24385824971_e8914647f9_b.jpg

vauxhall-chevette-wallpaper-hd-41241-268499.jpg

CHEVETTE-6-600x400.jpg

I'd love to have one of these. Even a US model.
9af6638f-5772-4959-b4c2-c8b79aa9845a.jpg

GM had fun cars back in the day
31876823761_8a82e48892_b.jpg

Pontiac%201975%20LilWideTrack.jpg

I used to really hate the Datsun 260Z/280Z (S30) 2+2. But for some reason, I've kind of grown to like it. Despite it's rather awkward shape.
104494023_10157690961168353_7659744790380616177_n.jpg

Saw this modified black one locally. Thought it was rather tasteful.
74611532_10221054243845143_1309976797785358336_n.jpg
I've always liked them 70s and 80s jdm looked so good. Is there something going on with that green car though? The lines in the back are throwing me off for some reason. I mean, other than being lowered and having a spoiler.

Toyota Picnic

0-jpg.522284

I can't think of anything good to say about it.
Apologies for the wayback playback (then again, the quoted user hasn't made their presence known in nearly three years), but this was just brought to my attention.

I...I like it. Stylistically, it represents a peculiar combination of mundane and avant garde. It's Subaru Legacy meets W168 A-Class.

I have no doubt the driving dynamics leave much to be desired, but it's probably reliable.

I've always liked them 70s and 80s jdm looked so good. Is there something going on with that green car though? The lines in the back are throwing me off for some reason. I mean, other than being lowered and having a spoiler.
It's the 2+2 - exactly the thing @MedigoFlame was specifically referring to. The black car is the same, the roofline is just less apparent from that angle and in that colour.

I'm wondering if it's due to the fact that the rear quarter window is open? That along with the angle of the photo makes it seem a tad off possibly.

1995-1999 Buick Riviera. For the longest time I've thought this design was quite ugly but lately it has grown on me. Maybe because it's a 25 year-old design now so it's beginning to look better as it ages. One of the last American personal luxury coupes.

U9BUGEE1.jpg

upload_2020-8-8_12-21-47.png

buick_riviera_971.jpg

upload_2020-8-8_12-21-35.png

While on the topic of 1990s American coupes, I also think that the 1995-2000 Chrysler Sebring has a rather pleasant looking design.

wk9528.1-lg.jpg

chrysler-sebring-i-1995-2000-coupe-interior.jpg

upload_2020-8-8_13-41-34.png

SEIGHT_15.jpg

SEIGHT_13.jpg

It's weird to think of something like this as a guilty pleasure, I know, but that's really the only way I can think of the SEight in particular. The Rover V8 is wholly unnecessary and a twin-cam 2-liter in a similar package would likely be better in every measurable way, even if the V8 technically makes more power. It's like taking the 370-horse LT-1 out of a '70 Corvette and plunking in a Cadillac 500; it makes more power but it's not exactly sporty.

But I'd absolutely want one.

1995 Buick Riviera that was converted into a drop-top. I'm ambivalent toward the styling of the last-gen Riviera, but as a convertible, it simply looks great. Too bad it never saw production.

1657756743311.png

1657756797650.png

1657756810704.png

That I can't find any cherry examples shouldn't be terribly surprising given what they are, but I've got a soft spot for the work truck package '88-93 GMC Sierras.

img.axd

'93 is a hard cutoff. In '94 they got a facelift like the rest of the GMT400s and the grille shells look like they're retaining water.

Was reminded of the Saturn Astra's existence after seeing one today at my work. Always liked the looks of it in the higher spec XR trim, wish Saturn stuck around and kept giving us Opels. Which is probably weird to hear from Europeans.
SATURN-Astra-XR--3-Doors--3640_14.jpg

I mean, there was nothing wrong with the way Opels/Vauxhalls of this era looked. As for how it drove and how mechanically robust they were...

Good timing on that post though, I saw one of these in traffic this morning:
Opel_Tigra_Twin_Top_20090510_front.jpg

I never gave them much thought when they were still relatively new, but in hindsight it's a quite good looking little car, and somewhat refreshing to see a roadster that was just set on being pretty, rather than attempting to be sporty with a platform that was not really up to the job.

Always liked the looks of it in the higher spec XR trim, wish Saturn stuck around and kept giving us Opels. Which is probably weird to hear from Europeans.
I do wonder how it would've played out for Opel since they were a part of PSA in 2017 and then Stellantis as of last year. If Saturn had stayed, would Opel still be a GM brand?

I mean, there was nothing wrong with the way Opels/Vauxhalls of this era looked. As for how it drove and how mechanically robust they were...

Good timing on that post though, I saw one of these in traffic this morning:View attachment 1203893

I never gave them much thought when they were still relatively new, but in hindsight it's a quite good looking little car, and somewhat refreshing to see a roadster that was just set on being pretty, rather than attempting to be sporty with a platform that was not really up to the job.
I will admit I liked the first generation Tigras a little more, but the second gen has grown on me. It's a rather cute little convertible that also reminds me of another small convertible that I always liked. At least in terms of looks as we obviously never saw them stateside. The Renault Wind, something about them I always liked the design of.
Renault-Wind-on-the-road.jpg

I do wonder how it would've played out for Opel since they were a part of PSA in 2017 and then Stellantis as of last year. If Saturn had stayed, would Opel still be a GM brand?
I always wondered "what if" for certain dead brands that didn't seem to go anywhere late in their life. Like the ideas of Scion bringing Toyota's other offerings stateside with rumors of things like the Toyota Mark X coming here as a Scion. (Probably was a far fetched rumor)

Watching Fast X in theatres and its flashback to the fifth movie made me realise I actually do have a soft soft for the original VW Touareg.

1920px-2005_Volkswagen_Touareg_V6_Sport_Automatic_3.2_Front.jpg

Not a bad car by any means, its just I'm not usually into SUVs and most VW products are mostly so generic that its hard to get excited about them. This one though, I like. I also extend this to its sister, the original Cayenne.

Last edited:
16359564531_db8d6b38f9_b.jpg

They remind me of the Fiesta Supersport's stripes, a few of which having been popping up in auctions recently. 65hp, rareish (3000 made) ...going for £20k, even with 70k miles on the clock. Bonkers prices.

dsc05371-jpg.1259150
Is that a 12" or 13" wheel? It's handsome.

Edit: Apparently it's a 13.

Last edited:
Back