Automotive Guilty Pleasures

• Thread starter Turtle
  • 1,407 comments
Not sure if this car has already been mentioned, but the 2nd-gen Chevrolet Blazer/GMC Jimmy (1995-2006) is a guilty pleasure of mine, despite the fact that it has a reputation of being a "redneck" vehicle. It's exterior is a simple, unoffensive shape that's pleasing to the eye, and the fact that it was offered in many different trims and odd colors over the years fascinates me. The 2-door Blazer (S10 Blazer) is my favorite of this generation, and I'd seriously consider one if I was looking for a bare-bones soft-roader.

Some examples of interesting colors it came in were Bright Purple Metallic, a color offered on the Camaro

A radiant shade of yellow was also an option:

Picture doesn't do justice, but Bright Green, another Camaro color, was also offered. In real life it's pretty bright!

This pink color was only available on the GMC Jimmy.

95-97_GMC_Jimmy.jpg

The "soft-road" package available, both on the Blazer and Jimmy, was called the ZR-2. It included off-road tires, a lifted suspension, Bilstein shocks, and of course, AWD.

The "sports" package would be the X-Treme, which also was available on the Chevrolet S-10. It was the most powerful of the Blazer family, though it was no performance SUV either; it was powered by a 4.3L Vortec V6, good for 200hp. It also featured body-cladding (typical of 2000s GM), special rims and sportier tires.

The most "oddball" trim would undoubtedly be the Jimmy Diamond. What on earth was GM thinking with this one? The Diamond package included a push-bar, sidesteps, silver trim on the side-skirts (which served no purpose at all and only made it look even more tacky), diamond-stitched faux leather seats, and could only be optioned in black. As you would expect, GMC sold very few of these.

Other than the Diamond's interior of course, the general interior of the Blazer/Jimmy was pretty dreadful and lagged behind it's competitors. By the mid-2000s, it seriously looked outdated.

My grandparents had the previous generation Blazer. This interior is rounded off and more consistent with it's material, and that's pretty much it.

These were great for small groups and got almost anywhere you needed them to...but that Diamond. I've never heard of it, definitely never seen one, but I'd be willing to point at that and say "THIS is where the 'Denali' idea began."

My grandparents had the previous generation Blazer. This interior is rounded off and more consistent with it's material, and that's pretty much it.

These were great for small groups and got almost anywhere you needed them to...but that Diamond. I've never heard of it, definitely never seen one, but I'd be willing to point at that and say "THIS is where the 'Denali' idea began."
The Yukon and Sierra Denali existed at the time of the Diamond’s release. I don’t even think the Diamond was meant to be a proper upscale trim. GM logic as usual.

My cousin who was married to a member of the USAF stationed in England visited before she followed him home to Utah and she had a purple Blazer. It felt really cool to me at aged 12 to be in an American market car.

Not sure if this car has already been mentioned, but the 2nd-gen Chevrolet Blazer/GMC Jimmy (1995-2006) is a guilty pleasure of mine, despite the fact that it has a reputation of being a "redneck" vehicle. It's exterior is a simple, unoffensive shape that's pleasing to the eye, and the fact that it was offered in many different trims and odd colors over the years fascinates me. The 2-door Blazer (S10 Blazer) is my favorite of this generation, and I'd seriously consider one if I was looking for a bare-bones soft-roader.

Some examples of interesting colors it came in were Bright Purple Metallic, a color offered on the Camaro

A radiant shade of yellow was also an option:

Picture doesn't do justice, but Bright Green, another Camaro color, was also offered. In real life it's pretty bright!

This pink color was only available on the GMC Jimmy.

95-97_GMC_Jimmy.jpg

The "soft-road" package available, both on the Blazer and Jimmy, was called the ZR-2. It included off-road tires, a lifted suspension, Bilstein shocks, and of course, AWD.

The "sports" package would be the X-Treme, which also was available on the Chevrolet S-10. It was the most powerful of the Blazer family, though it was no performance SUV either; it was powered by a 4.3L Vortec V6, good for 200hp. It also featured body-cladding (typical of 2000s GM), special rims and sportier tires.

The most "oddball" trim would undoubtedly be the Jimmy Diamond. What on earth was GM thinking with this one? The Diamond package included a push-bar, sidesteps, silver trim on the side-skirts (which served no purpose at all and only made it look even more tacky), diamond-stitched faux leather seats, and could only be optioned in black. As you would expect, GMC sold very few of these.

Other than the Diamond's interior of course, the general interior of the Blazer/Jimmy was pretty dreadful and lagged behind it's competitors. By the mid-2000s, it seriously looked outdated.

You know what? The three door variant of this truck suddenly reminds me of the limited Isuzu Vehicross SUV that was offered during the late 90s and early 00s.

5a788198509c5_15175340549eb068fb02dfIMG_1007-1-940x618.jpg

10ISGEF1.jpg

images

That said, I wonder why Isuzu has stopped selling this classic after only a few years had gone past.

Among Isuzu's offerings which were predominantly boxy during those times, this one looked tough and rugged while standing out pretty well, too.

The only thing that ruins the whole package of the car is the transmission choice, which is only sold with a sole 4-speed A/T. They should have at least offered a 5-speed stick shift for those enthusiasts who plan to use it solely for off-roading.

And while there's nothing wrong with the engine choice of this vehicle, they could also have included as well a turbocharged oil burner for those who didn't like petrol guzzlers (especially considering the fact that this one only utilized two different V6 engines with dated carburetors) because Isuzu is said to make one of the most reliable diesels in the market so why not put one in the Vehicross.

Cadillac XL-R

Although it has a reputation for being an uglier, overpriced C5 Corvette for retirees and looks absolutely hopeless next to an SL or 6-Series or Jaguar XK, I must say, I don't hate the XL-R. The "arts and sciences" design language of mid-2000s Cadillac looks fitting on the XL-R, and as a result, it's a pretty stylish car on the outside, though many would disagree. The interior, though, is sub-par and is virtually the same as the STS sedan. This was the second most expensive production car made by a mainline American brand even to this day, the first being the Ford GT; the XL-R started at $86,000 but could be optioned well over $100k.​

Imo caddilac designs um the mid noughts was pretty good, diferent from other American Cars, and subtle. They looks pretty good on some models

Colourful cars. Stuff that people have artistically drawn on.

I'm tempted to do something of my own on a decent future car.

Still too scared of committing to this at this time. If the paint on the body turns to poop, maybe then I'll consider a project.

Considering that North America never really got the BMW 1-Series hatchback. I always toyed with the idea of a RWD BMW X1. But the xDrive AWD ones are fine too. I kind of like the first generation BMW X1, despite the fact that the interior really wasn't a high point and it felt rather small. But considering the xDrive35i had the N55 straight 6, it was actually kind of fun to drive.
bmw-x1-msport-fs2.JPG

I actually kinda agree. Well, insofar as it's a guilty pleasure.

While the actual idea of a PT Cruiser convertible isn't pleasant (think Murano CrossCabriolet), I honestly think they executed it fairly well. Roof-up it's not great (few convertibles are), but roof down it gets much closer to the hot-rod vibe Chrysler was aiming for. I don't know if they actually chopped the windscreen, but without the hatchback's high roof the proportions of the convertible are way better - the glasshouse looks much lower, and the long doors work better than squeezing rear doors in like the regular car.

It's never gonna be a design classic, but it's not as bad as people make out. Honestly PTs drive okay too - they could have done with better engines, but the ride/handling was decent (I drove one years ago and found the steering in particular quite nice) and they got good reviews back in the day, at least when it was a fresh design.

On a related note, just last night I was thinking that America's 1990s/early 2000s overtly retro-style cars are some guilty pleasures of mine...

18d3snispdt6ijpg.jpg

191249_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

3309413-1999-plymouth-prowler-std.jpg

02113141990005.jpg

I know some (all?) of them weren't very good cars, but they feel like products of a happier time, evoking memories of perhaps an even happier one. Soft curves, bright colours, and a desire to do something a little different. I think also that all will become future classics in a way conventional equivalents at the time probably won't - which is almost appropriate, as all were designed to be much like classic cars in the first place.

1998-2006 Honda HR-V

I'd totally rock a quirky-looking subcompact, 4WD SUV like this one, specifically in 3-door spec. The design is more captivating than controversial, in my view. Oddly enough, the HRV had no automatic option and could only be had with a 5-speed manual or a CVT.

And Japan being Japan, a Mugen package was offered:

My Step-Daughter still has her HR-V 3-door in white. Holds a 60" tv out back, with ease. :)

1985 Audi 4000 CS Quattro. Almost bought one, but the trunk lock was broke and the diff switch was stuck. Wasn't worth the $1500 at the time. Only 115hp, but I should have just bought it. I'd have one today.
1985-audi-4000-s-quattro-34k-miles-1.JPG

Love the interior
86-Audi-4000-CS_Quattro-DV-10-PVGPKO-i01.jpg

Almost bought one. Dealer wanted too much. Again, should have just bought it.
toyota_corolla_4wd_wagon_1.jpg

Corolla Seca Twin Cam. These are going up in price. Love 'em.
ee0e4aafd5a9c4426569e7bbf425b1b0.jpg

323 Astina.
astina_082c6.jpg

@homeforsummer came here to post the SSR actually! Saw one in the wild yesterday, and found it looked a lot tamer in person. Could help I come from the land of utes, but to me it's a quirky design that works well. I've also always enjoyed the Prowler.

Saw a "new" Thunderbird as well, less pleasant experience however.

SVX
Saw a "new" Thunderbird as well, less pleasant experience however.
I honestly think they're pretty good. Has that elegant boat-tail look that not many cars really go for - it's a convertible as a proper cruiser rather than trying to be a sports car. Being a product of the early 2000s it's also fairly aesthetically simple, even considering some of the deliberately retro details like that grille or the side gills.

It's a shame so many images on google seem to show them with the hard top installed as it's definitely a car best viewed with the roof down, like the big 50s and 60s American convertibles.

1445t.jpg

1445jj.jpg

1445z.jpg

I still think these are stunning.

Chrysler-lineup.jpg

But it's still a minivan.

I enjoy driving mine a lot more than the bummer, so comfortable and smooth...

MMP_0306m2~2.jpg

People do not know what they are missing out with the Kia... IMHO I think it is the best looking Van..
I did try the Pacifica but I like the KIA just by a few hair...

MMP_0401cm.jpg

The AMC Eagle family, despite being the answer to a question posed by no one, is certainly a guilty pleasure of mine. These cars look so wrong but also so right at the same time.

[URL='https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwii9saW1-XkAhUJzoUKHVEGA_oQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fautos%2Fstory%2F20130925-the-unlikely-awd-trail-blazer&psig=AOvVaw11dfdzQ6iRzTnIU1lukWkw&ust=1569284654745307']
[/URL]

The Eagle Sundancer, a convertible variant, was the most bizarre of all.

I posted a later example a while back, but I really dig the pre-facelift Toronado Trofeo as well:

View attachment 853204
The final-generation Toronado is also a guilty pleasure of mine, as I view it to be one of GM's few styling successes of the 1980s. One could tell that GM really tried to differentiate it from other GM cars during this era, and it worked well. This was the pinnacle of the "not your father's Oldsmobile" era.

The facelifted version (which I prefer to the pre-facelift, though only slightly) came available with a CRT touch-screen navigation system.

KGrHqFk0E3Gzey500BNyFu4jH_3_%281%29.jpg

I guess it's also worth mentioning its sister car, the '86-'93 Buick Riviera. Though I don't have the same affinity for it as the Toronado, it's still a fairly handsome looking car and qualifies as a guilty pleasure. Despite looking largely conservative in typical Buick fashion, there is something about the design that's oddly classy, though I can't quite put my finger on it.

I have a soft spot for all those slightly weird squared-off 80s and 90s notchbacks, and it's all Vice City's fault:

55081-1341992833-gta-vc2012-07-1113-41-04-36-jpg.853223
Wow...that's a Manana? If the GTA V variant is a Coupe DeVille, and I like to think it is, that thing would surely be a Cimarron coupe if there was such a thing.

I mentioned these around the time that I posted the Toronado Trofeo the first time; I really dig the fifth generation Cutlass Supreme coupe and convertible.

1.jpg

My preferred pre-facelift '88-91 is shown. Ideally, I'd have it with the DOHC 3.4 (LQ1) and the more robust and smooth-shifting 5-speed Getrag 284, however that gearbox was available as an upgrade over the 282 for '91-3 cars, making my preference a one-year-only possibility if all is as equipped. I'd also have it in Medium Maui Blue Metallic with a black interior.

images

I kinda like this certain generation of the Ford Explorer. It doesn't look too modern but it also doesn't look old until now. Doesn't look too big but whenever I see one on the roads, I still take a glance on it.

VXR
Hot take; the Allegro was a great looking car let down by a substandard factory ethic.
I'm not explicitly disagreeing with you, but I do think "great looking" may be a bit of an exaggeration. It's a handsome car--barring the exceedingly awkward (and not in a fun, quirky way) Estate--and a part of me would very much like to own one because it is handsome; particularly an Allegro 3. The Vanden Plas is handsome as well, in its own way, but I don't think I'd want one of those.

Also...I like the quartic steering wheel.

Back