• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 456 comments

Azuremen

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Premium
United States
t9YWpx0.jpg

Az's Gallery
Was time to update this first post to be a bit more accurate, seeing how it is ancient in terms of my work and equipment.

Gear List

Fuji 2020 Update
Traded my Fuji 50/2 WR to a friend for his Fuji 35/1.4, sold my 23/1.4 and Samyang 12/2, picked up the Laowa 9mm and another 18mm F/2.

I borrowed the 35/1.4 and realized how much more I preferred it to the 23/1.4 for portrait work, and the 16/1.4 had completely replaced the 23/1.4 for documentary work and wide angle portrait work. I'm very much a wide angle and normal lens user, and adding the 18mm back in gives me a very compact option for casual documentary work and a lighweight 2 lens kit with the 35/1.4 and X-E3.

Digital Bodies
Fujifilm X-Pro2 (need to repair)
Fujifilm X-T2
Fujifilm X-E3
Fujifilm X-E1
Canon 5D Mark II

Film Bodies
Canon Canonet QL-17
Minolta X-700 (x2)
Minolta SRT 101 (x2 - one black, one silver)
Minolta XG1
Nikon EM
Nikon Nikkormat
Pentax Spotmatic
Ricoh 500G black

Fuji X Mount
Laowa 9mm F/2.8

Samyang 12mm F/2 NCS
Fuji 16mm F/1.4 R WR
Fuji 18mm F/2 R
Fuji 23mm F/1.4 R
7artisans 25mm F/1.8
Fuji 35mm F/1.4 R
Fuji 35mm F/2 WR
7artisans 35mm F/1.2
Fuji 50mm F/2 WR
Samyang 85mm F/1.8 NCS
Mitakon Lens Turbo II EF
Meike 10mm Extension Tube
Meike 16mm Extension Tube

Nikon F Mount
Nikon 28mm F/2.8 Series E
Nikon 50mm F/1.8 Series E
Nikkor-SC 55mm F/1.2
Rokinon 85mm F/1.4
Nikon 100mm F/2.8 Series E
Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8 Macro

M42 Mount
Enna Munchen 35mm F/3.5
Yashica 50mm F/1.7
Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 (8 Element)
Fujinon 50mm F/1.4
Super Takumar 55mm F/2
Argus Auto-Cintar 55mm F/2
Takumar 85mm F/1.9
Takumar 100mm F/4 bellows
Takumar 135mm F/2.5
Isco-Gottingen 135mm F/3.5
Noritar 250mm F/4.5
Sun Auto 85-210mm F/4.8
2x extender, M42
3x extender, M42

Minolta MD
Minolta Celtic 28mm F/2.8 MC
Minolta 45mm F/2 MD
Minolta 50mm F/1.7 MD
Minolta 50mm F/1.4 MD
Rokkor 58mm F/1.4 MC (2x - one has stripped coatings)
Noname 135mm F/2.8 MC
2x Extender

Light
Godox TT350F
Godox XT1-F

Yongnuo YN560 III (2x)
Yongnuo RT

Original Post
Well, since I now am back into photography, might as well share some of my work.

Gear -
Canon 400D
4GB Lexar CF card (needed it on short notice, Wal-Mart crew)
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon IS lens
35-80mm f/4-5.6 Canon lens
Opteka Grip

Some random snap shots I cleaned up from today...

Claw machine...
IMG_2894.jpg

How to burn down a building...
IMG_2730.jpg

Why cleaning is handy...
IMG_2710.jpg

For the girl, dunno yet though...
IMG_2900.jpg

And from a couple days back, MR-S Vent
MR-S-Vent.jpg

Last edited:
One
Observe-1-BW3.jpg

Two
TreeandObserve-1.jpg

And an HDR fiddle type deal.
Clock-and-stars-HDR-1.jpg

EDIT: And one more to add on there I guess...
Field-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really liking the 3rd one on your first post, the tones and the depth of field all flow very well.

The b/w one would look better (imo) if you hadn't left colour on the part of the shot that's out of focus, feels a bit weird having your attention pulled to the part that's not focused. Other than that, I like it.

2nd one could use a bit of photoshop to remove that half-light from there, but I quite like the overall feeling.

On this update, the first shot feels the best to me. b/w was a great choice, and the contrast is spot on.
What was the exposure time on that one, if you don't mind me asking?

On this update, the first shot feels the best to me. b/w was a great choice, and the contrast is spot on.
What was the exposure time on that one, if you don't mind me asking?

Dual exposure. 30 seconds at F/8 and 100 seconds at f/8, ISO 200 for both. I did the white balance in Photoshop with the raws, then just copied one exposure and made it a layer in the second, one of the layer blending filters, merged down, small tweak of curves, and then converted to black and white using a maximum black preset with some tweaks. In theory, stuff I could do using film, but would be a lot of work.

The star trials are the cheater indicator that I did a dual exposure. No HDR though, just wanted a little more exposure of the stacks but still wanted the airplane in there too.

EDIT: Here it is in color before I converted it to black and white.
Observe-1.jpg

Last edited:
So, went back out to the same spot, different lighting though - earlier at night so the stadium lights were still on, which is a lot more ambient light up there. And light pollution (to the point of problem on longer exposures)

Anyhow, was shooting something else when I realized a jet was getting ready to take off. So in my rush, I moved the tripod and took a shot. Sadly, I also bumped it, so I took another exposure after the jet and have attempted to combine them to remove the focus issues on the building... only problem is I can't get it how I'd like due to light pollution and a small lens flare. So, these two are what I've produced so far...

I prefer the values in this first one more, and the contrast
Jet-Dome-Steam.jpg

But this one has the red and green strobe light showing... so yeah.
Jet-Dome-Steam2.jpg

And here is a sunset I took.
Sunset1.jpg

long exposures are something I really REALLY want to try soon. After I move to the new apartment I will try to get some night stuff done.

Azure, I think you might like this (clickety click) (: if you dont know his work alredy.

All right kids, I now have a Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/azuremen/

Cano, long exposures are fun, but you've got to be patient with them. And careful with how to do lighting as you take the shot. Nothing sucks more to take a long exposure and find out you have a bit of lens flare.

That gallery is awesome by the way. Me like.

And here are some random shots over the past few days.

Trip down to the river.
Orange-Plant1.jpg

Flower-1.jpg

Playing with F/1.8
F18-3.jpg

Last edited:
The winter plant shots are great. Especially together. 👍

Thanks, I quite like how they turned out. Though, there about 100 other pictures I haven't really bothered with - most just don't turn out quite right.

Latest bits from my camera.

Chem-1.jpg

Myself-1.jpg

Death to the cones!! Nice action shots, especially the first two. I'd be tempted to clone stamp out the person in the first shot.

I just left the person there because it helps to give a since of speed with blur.

One of the more interesting long exposure shots from the other night...

3433486606_4356011d43_o.jpg

Recent hike and drive (the same one for my sideways photos) produced this, among some others I may post up...

Click to jump to my Flickr, which has a handy 1280 by 1024 size...

Back