B-Spec - Absolutly rubbish driving.

• Thread starter GamerHugo
  • 165 comments
My first b spec driver wasnt very good until he got to about level 3 then he started getting alot better. I only had to use the pass button like 4 times per race after that when before is was hitting it like every 10 seconds. And the race is usually long so i let him do his own thing for the first 2 laps and then for the next 3 tell him what to do. Now i have 3 bspec drivers and they all win races with little to no input needed.( All my cars are fully light weight with exhaust and intake and with the best tires that race will allow. Other than that they win races fine for me and o make sure you get the drivers with the coolest temper. The second driver I hired had the same specs as my first driver when i first hired him and now there at the same level and you can really tell the difference between there skill.

Thought I'd throw my experience in.

Chose a guy with very slightly over middle temperament. Shoved him in a fully tuned z4 and pressed go. He hasn't lost a race yet (level 7) although he is known to fall asleep so have to to keep an:dunce::dunce: eye on him. He drives better than I do!:dunce:

Giving a new B-Spec driver a 4WD car (like a tuned R8) helps immensely to speed up the leveling-up process in the beginning, I find.

S.hester is at level 7. I know it's a little slow right now, but now hes finally a decent driver.
He was able to win the 90s japanese championship in a 1995 Evo!

My theory: Cool is good at the beginning. Hot is good with more experience.
You might be right. My first driver was the coolest I could find and he did pretty well in most races. My most recent hires are a bit on the hot side. They were entered into high level races with a strong car or as part of a team to level them up quickly.

At this point the hot headed drivers have won every race they have been in but again the first race took them up several levels in a situtation where they could stay calm.

My theory: Cool is good at the beginning. Hot is good with more experience.

Agree. Once they get a couple of levels under their belt, they have no problem being "hot" the entire race.

Have anyone done some research on which driver is best and why? Hot or Cool?

So what happens when they lose all their strength and mental strength. I finished couple of races with the driver completely drained and I saw no noticeable differences.

I have some guesses... and observations.

First- all the cars have Bobs, including the AI, including when you race 'em. Bob stresses out (or can) if there's other cars nearby, and can make mistakes. That means, since the only psychological warfare you can do is with the position of your car, and Bob senses your position- psychological warfare by tailgating the AI could work :) at least with noob Bobs...

The most obvious way to implement physical strength is to have Bob not turning the wheel so well. You'd see Bob driving sloppy or wide through tight technical sections. Anybody seeing this with physically weak and exhausted drivers?

The most obvious way to implement mental strength is how often Bob corrects course, and that would also save CPU- tired Bob doesn't check as often. This would lead to sloppy driving, over-corrections- if you wanted your Bob to have robotically accurate driving he'd have to have high mental strength, otherwise he's not checking on the road often enough, and any gaps in attention could lead to bad things and panicky corrections. I wonder if this is what some people are seeing with Bobs that spin out constantly. I get very little of that with Bob Ziegler, my ice-cool mentally sharp B-spec guy.

The heat level that moves around is obviously how hard Bob is pushing- if it goes off the top, you might have trouble (Ziegler spins out only at those times). My guy gets stressed out working his way through traffic, but I only have to tell him 'slow down' and he cools off and eventually manages it. Very little XP for him because I use him to grind for prize cars, so he's used to very fast cars and unimpeded laps. He's happiest blowing through the cars and then relaxing and doing his focus thing, which calms him down so much I have to bug him to speed up.

I don't know if hotheads do that, or if they gravitate to whatever temperament they are. Maybe they are affected faster by conditions? Or they get a boost from being close to what their temperament naturally is? There are many possibilities but we may never know for sure...

B-Spec is bloody good, if you feel it's rubbish you're doing it wrong!

*When B-spec racing don't waste your time using anything but a fully modded car with the best tyres on it...and walk away and let them do thier job....

*I have only encountered about 4 actual races were the driver needs constant prodding the rest are set and forget....
-Like the Wind
-Gran Turismo Allstars races (Trial Mt from mem)
-Daytona event in the Nascar cup...
-Cote De Azur in Historic (OMG this is a b-spec bastard!)

Every other race has been won unassisted..

*if you have stealth cars use them max modded where ever possible for faster results

playing b-spec smartly (ié while watch tv or something enduro races overnight while sleeping) makes the time you spend with A-spec a whole lot more fun as you have more cars more money etc etc

Hot Tip:
Build up one driver to lvl 21 and then start another and run them in either the historic cup (LOL they wont win) or Schwarzwald B in extreme or DTM Nurb...if you put them in the right car ié Toy 7 Chapparel 2j / R10 / Lexus Concept you will lvl them up to 20+ in under 10 races...

ié 9 races you will have a 2nd lvl 21 driver as opposed to the original with 200+ races at lvl 21

another great way to level n00b drivers is to enter 1x 24-5 + 1x 21+ and 2x 10+ in enduro races...the n00bs will lvl like crazy

This REALLY helps in extreme and enduro as you need multiple drivers to get through the races..although prior to expert 1-2 drivers is all you need and they stay "fresh" in the career that way...

IMO B-Spec kicks ass... ;)

Last edited:
my b spec driver is REALLY good at drifting. sometimes he'll even link corners. sometimes he might even tandem with other drivers, it's amazing. too bad he likes to spin out on the last lap and wait for the whole field to pass.

at least he's a nice guy.

My B-Spec driver tends to brake hard way before the turn, downshift, gas, upshift, downshift, enter turn, hit apex, exit. Seriously. I can't win the truck race with this guy.

He can't get past 7th in Laguna Seca and can't get past 11th in Daytona.

It doesn't matter if it's my X-Runner or S/C Lightning.

What should I invest in? Parts for the truck or another driver?

Another tip I would add, is always make sure you have installed the max grip tires allowed. I have caught myself just jumping into the race not paying attention to the tires that are on the car, which is very bad management! This can make a big difference for your driver.

My dumb Bob was hitting the last corner for 6 laps in beginner event at london. at this point i gave up Bob becuse he sucks so bad i couldnt stand it. never seen such bad driving. Ever.
Me being a very good and fast driver and see this, makes me cry........ Seriously, he did everything wrong.

maybe i put in more work on him. But he will still be slower than me.

B-spec drivers 90-100% of the time will need a fully modded car if for no other reason than to win unassisted... as Andy above said tyres MUST be the limit tyre or Racing Soft if no restrictions...

(**** sitting there and giving orders I want max benefit minimum effort in B-Spec...)

I did Laguna in a Tacoma, 1st time no issue...it pays to make sure your driver is also a couple of lvl's above the required lvl for the race (this only applies to initial driver)

Can anyone else confirm whether or not Bob's "temperature" gauge shifts more slowly if he is on the cold side, versus the hot side as a driver? It seems to be a significant difference between my 50% cold driver and my 90% hot driver.

My apologies if this has already been brought up elsewhere.

Edit: It seems to depend on whether or not he's calming down or being more aggressive. My calm driver calms down quickly, but moves to the aggressive side very slowly.

Last edited:
One of my b-spec bob Just finished .002 sec before de second car on 'Like the wind' first race (Daytona)

I usualy choose them in the mid-hot-cool range and so far they both destroy the competition in the extreme series with only few instructions / races

I love b-spec, which is something I never expected. I never b-spected. anyways. I can only drive a-spec for about an hour, so I turned to b-spec and it reminds me of playing something like Final Fantasy; you have your characters, you take them to different situations, you battle various opponents. Quite awesome.

I started out with C.Chung (Connie) and she's slightly warm temperament. I found early I had to max her cars and keep telling her to calm down. She would always trend toward very hot, and make mistakes. But now that she's around level 9 I can run her hot almost the whole race and she's fine. After I noticed that my drivers will overtake on their own, I realized pushing them on straights and slowing them down for turns can be effective. Listen to the engine, if you don't push them on the straights, it's like they don't mash the pedal all the way. You just have to be careful when curves come. And it does seem like 'pace' is what they try to stay at, once you've set it. So if you've set 'up the pace' like, 5 times, your driver is at 5x nominal, which can be fine if they're experienced, but if you see them making mistakes you can remember that 2x down takes them lower, where they will stay (still +3x) until you issue another order. If my drivers get in front, if I don't monitor them, they seem to get lazy, doing laps in a comfortable way but other cars will catch up. I find it helpful to watch the lap time and see if I can beat the previous, but you have to be careful and not risk too much when you're ahead, just to beat a previous lap time.

My other driver, C.Hill (Chill, the guy from Norway) who is slightly cool in temperament, right away, he was shown to have much better passing technique than Connie, who insists on trying to pass on the outside! She's getting better, but I think I taught her bad habits-- her arrow was orange and pointing downard for a long time-- I thought she needed a rest, but earlier comments show that I probably was teaching her bad (rather than mad) skillz.

Both drivers have won about 75% and lost about 25%. Something I have found helpful-- as soon as I lose a race I look to see what car won. I remember this from GT4; use that car and mod it slightly, and you'll win. The only mods I do cost less than $2000: computer chip $1000, sports air filter $250, sports catalytic converter $500. Works for regular driving too.

I also seem to win better cars in b-spec. I really like b-spec and have put in about 2 days straight, something I could never do with a-spec. I think the designers put a lot of thought into it and want people to experience the depth on offer here (it's like Pokemons, let me show you them). I'm glad for someone like me they've implemented it and I really have had fun learning how and when to issue commands and build my drivers, and it's a great way to acquire cars in the game without having to drive so much myself. I also have a lot of fun changing the view to that of the driver and watching how they break and corner, particularly in mid-engine cars which I completely suck at.

once i got high with 1 bob. i trained the others in the turbo event with the 908 hdi fap
they win easily and jump from 1 to 5 to etc etc
and once they hit 15 or something take them on endurance events i found this the fastest way tot lvl up bobs

Upon reading all the other posts in this thread, I figured that I'd post my B-Spec driver strategy. Obviously you will eventually end up with 6 total Drivers, but I chose to primarily focus on just 1 driver throughout the whole B-spec career. The first race that asks you for two separate drivers is the lvl 22 Euro champ, but it can easily be completed with just 1 driver. Hell, even all the B-spec enduro's can be completed with just 1 driver (note: my b-spec is currently 33 and I have received gold on all enduros up to include Tsukuba 9Hr).

My strategy was to stick my driver in any type of race car, albeit the Audi R8 LMS Race car, Peugeot 905 Race Car, or the Mazda 787B/Nissan R92CP Race Car, Chaparral 2J Race Car; all of which are tuned to the max for each of their respective races.

Someone here already stated the 3 or 4 races that required close input from myself, however for the most part, all the races consisted of starting the race and walking away.

I used 1 driver all the way up to level 25 or 26 which had a record of something like (139 Wins / 154 Races), most of which losses came from either the Beginner or Amateur series as I didn't have a "monster" racing machine yet. I've noticed that the Colored arrows denoting what type of 'mood' the driver is in doesn't matter for the race they are partaking in, also they seem to be randomly changing from day to day. Even on days I don't B-spec, the arrows will change. Perhaps its like everyone will have good days or bad days. For the most part, I just 'Pace Up' my driver until they get into 1st, then let their mood auto cool-down. Second would be to time the use of Overtake, I usually will wait until right before a hairpin or chicane / 'S' corner to tell my driver to Overtake. Depending on the entry to that corner, a lvl 16 driver will swing wide and sweep into the inside of the corner's exit while accelerating to overtake the opponent's exit speed; or hug the inside line while nudging the opponent wide to force braking to stop from hitting a barrier or leaving the track. This strategy works well even on the 1 make races such as the Nascar and the F1 champs.

To easily level up a second through sixth driver, just slap them into a 1 driver enduro in either a F1 or any 'Race Car'. I have 1 driver with 3 races under her belt and is level 28. She went from lvl 0 to 20 on Grand Vally 300k in one race. (H.Keller - not bad for a def - blind chic)

My B-spec driver is now on level 10 and has won 29 races of 30. So I can't understand why everybody thinks B-spec is so difficult? I mean of course I have lost my nervs to him but he still can drive :sly:

I didn't have time to go through all the posts, sorry if this was already answered... With regards to "What do the arrows mean?"

But I think the Up Down and Sideways arrows indicate how your driver is feeling. So if you have used him in 5 straight races and you see a down arrow, his performance overall is down.

If you let him rest it goes back to middle/sideways, if you let him rest more, it goes to upwards.

I think?.

I agree with the Op.

In gt4 I remember races that I couldnt complete despite having the proper license. I just didnt have the skill to navigate technical circuits at high speed at the time(much better now, thx to gt5), and THAT was when i turned to bob. he did all the major races for me; helping me amass my fortune:sly:

now we have the evolved b-spec

💡

maybe the bob from gt4 was already lvl 40:tup:

in any event. its good stuff!

What??

Been racing my B-Spec driver for a little while he has now got to level 8 and only two of the races he lost.. however the last race I completed turned his arrow from green to orange and now facing down even though he won it, what happened there.. :embarrassed:

And one more thing, whats the use in two B-Spec drivers when you can only race one? I am level 8 so I probably need to level up more to use my other driver.

From what I understand the arrows with the green or orange or blue background is their driving habits, what they've learned in the previous race. If they've picked up some bad habits or technique from getting issued crappy commands from the last race it could reflect in the next race they drive.

Haha, went back to do another race on B-Spec, easy race as I was using my RM'ed corvette on the clubman race it got to the point where I was way ahead so I got bored and pushed my driver to the limit, causing him to pull some nice drifts.. :sly:

I finished the race, he was happy with my commands again!! He obviously loves drifting :dopey:

Back