B-Specin' 24 Hrs at the 'Ring

• Thread starter Old Geezer
  • 78 comments
United States
Bastrop, TX
After SEVERAL failed attempts before finally winning the 24 Hours at Le Sarthe, I decided to develop a new stategy for the 24 Hours at the 'Ring. I was setting up the car the way "I" like it and it turned out that the B-Spec driver apparently does NOT agree! I first did the "Preview" to see what the competition would be & then chose a suitable "Ride." Of course I wanted to "Win" but NOT by some ridiculous margin. (I'll keep my choice out of this thread for the benefit of those of you who prefer to figure things out for yourselves.)
It turns out that a "Ride" already in my Garage looked quite promising so I changed the Oil & purchased R1 & R2 tyres to go with the R3s already equipped. Here is what I believe really makes a difference to the B-Spec driver: I changed ABSOLUTELY NO SETTINGS! Equipped the R1s & entered the Race. Unlike my winning Le Sarthe attempt (where I drove about 10-15%) I opted to do the entire race in B-Spec. A beautiful day here yesterday & I could work in the yard & just check-in every 11 minutes or so to see how it was progressing. Started 6th of course & set the "Auto Pilot" to "CRUISE" not wanting to overwhelm the cold tyres. Bumped it up to "FAST" as they warmed up & watched the first Lap or two. All appeared to be going well so I set the "Fast Forward" to 3x & let 'er rip. Turns out 5 Laps was maximum for R1s with a little fuel left over. I just kept resetting to 3x every time I walked by. Then I decided to experiment with "Fuel Load" ...NOT the best idea! :eek: I kept cutting back a little at each pit stop until I over did it & ran out on the long straight before the pits! :dunce: At 50 MPH a lot of my 2 minute lead evaporated before the fill up. But here's where it really gets interesting: I now knew where the critical level was so added only a bit more and went back to the yard work. Although there was plenty left for another Lap the B-Spec didn't see it that way & started pitting on a Four Lap cycle instead of FIVE Laps! Thankfully I caught it fairly soon & forced another Lap. Raised the re-fill level a few more points & the problem went away. Then in an attempt to get the schedule back to 5/10/15 etc. I left the "old" tyres on during a stop. BIG Mistake! :dunce: Forgot to re-set at the next stop & made a complete circuit on "Toasted Tyres." Experimented with the "PUSH" setting & used it for a while to make up for MY mistakes, very gradually putting some distance on the field.
Left the setting at "Race" for the rest of the time as the B-Spec driver didn't seem to have any problems even on BLUE Tyres. All progressed well & near the end I determined he'd still have to make one more Lap right after a pit to finish the 24 Hours. I brought him in 1 Lap early, fitted R2 tyres & only filled the tank about 1/2 way. I wanted to see if he could beat the Fast Lap set nearly 24 hours earlier w/depleted HP but softer tyres. Set it up to "PUSH" & it was a bit wild but he did a good job. Then on the final Lap "AFTER" the 24 hours had passed he lost it for the first & indeed I think the ONLY time in the Race. Got loose over one of the "Yumps" & looped it on landing! Recovered nicely but not quick enough to best the earlier time.

RESULTS:
Time: 24:04'49.920
Laps: 205
F/L: 6'43.807
Pits: 43
M.O.V.: +3 to +36 Laps ( 21 to 38 Pits)

hey man, good stuff. A friend and i tried to do this race last night in a handling mod-only nsx-r. while he could run a 7:14 (his best for the race) i was considerably slower with the best of around 7:25 if i was lucky. I've been updating my blog so i'll just post that. :)

And so the journey begins.

4:10pm-start of the race. gain the lead in about 5 minutes but start falling behind. Back all the way to forth and 1'15 behind when i pit. ben takes over

5:04pm-Ben has a new best lap of the race with super hards on but still (only) 18 seconds behind 1st.

9:30pm-falling behind too much. quit and restarted in a bentley speed 8 and b-specing it to about 6 hours

11:43pm-ben is passed out and i just got done playin some cs. still b-specing t till we get caught up to where we'd be then i'll take over. could be a while. at 12:10 we should be 8 hours in but it wont happen. too bad you cant get more than x3 speed. oh well. im prob gonna crash soon since i've been up since 7am. oi vey

2:36am-ben just ran a 5'50.727. thats exactly a 132.36962081619037028800177916157mph average. on super hard tires might i add. god freakin damn

12:03pm-yeah, we kept it on b-spec. so sue us. I just woke up and there is about 3 hours left. that's a little over an hour in real time with b-spec time acceleration.

:sly:

1:42pm-just finished at 24:01'19.993 and i won the very nice red formula gt :cheers: :cool: :D

I'm running it on b-spec as we speak. about 2 hrs race time left.

My driver is in my Nissan 350Z Concept LM Race Car '02
Running at Steady pace with Overtake on. Pits every 2 laps to change tires.

11 laps ahead of second place
23 laps ahead of last place.

I think my overall b-spec points is 500 or so.

strangly enough, when I did this race my car (forgot what it was.. it was a week or so ago) had to pit ever 2~3 laps for tires too and I was running Racing Hard (R2) lol

Did with the TT-R Touring car, won by about 10 or 15 laps, with B-spec on for 21 hours. Won myself a masculine white and purple GT Formula. (Eh, it actually looks cool)

whats the setting on the 350z....cant believe you could win with that...i use a sauber and keep on losing like hell...bad handling.....

bure82
whats the setting on the 350z....cant believe you could win with that...i use a sauber and keep on losing like hell...bad handling.....
thats because you cant drive. :P those cars are hard to take around the ring because it's so bumpy. try a higher, softer setup. should help ya some...and crank the downforce

Ronin Monkey

Running at Steady pace with Overtake on. Pits every 2 laps to change tires.

11 laps ahead of second place
23 laps ahead of last place.

I think my overall b-spec points is 500 or so.

Do you have any special setup on the Z or just original? Is it the Fairlady you know the red, whit and blue one youre using?

For me I used the Sauber C9 with R1 tires and had it on setting "3" and "4" until it had a big enough lead, then kept it at "2" for the rest of the race. By having it in "2" instead of "3" I was able to save the tires for a few more laps and use up all my fuel. This can minimize the pitstops and speed up the b-spec process because it'll run at 3x speed longer, and you won't have to monitor it as much ;)

The tirewear and fuel usage might be different for other cars, but it worked nicely with my C9.

I used the F1 car. With R3 tyres.. aperently you can't buy any other wheels for that car. Because of that the car had to pit in every 2 laps. Wich is no problem because the car laps every lap 1'30 faster than the oposition. So anyways, i ended with 223 laps driven and 30 laps in front of the 2nd one and then 50 laps in front of the last one.. All B-spec of course..

I am currently B-Speccing the 24H 'Ring with a 350Z LM racer, with R1 tyres (Super Hards). It pits in every fifth lap with red tyres, and a near empty fuel tank. Plus, the settings are unchanged from when I won the car. So far it has worked beautifully.

Freddie
I am currently B-Speccing the 24H 'Ring with a 350Z LM racer, with R1 tyres (Super Hards). It pits in every fifth lap with red tyres, and a near empty fuel tank. Plus, the settings are unchanged from when I won the car. So far it has worked beautifully.
Good to hear Freddie! :cheers: Similar tyre wear to what I experienced but sounds like your fuel consumption is much higher. (Good thing we don't have to "Buy" the Gas, eh?) ...O.G. :D

Running at fast pace with Overtake on. Pits every 9 laps to change tires.
tires are R2

1 hour in my first pit was 4 laps in
curently 1 lap ahead of 6th place on my suspention settings.

Just finished the 24 hour Nurburgring enduro using the '01 Audi R8 Race Car. B-Spec drove 85% of the time with the occasional five lap session put in by myself to justify leaving the PS2 on for such a ridiculous length of time.

After overtaking the field on the first lap (5/Push and Overtake), the B-Spec driver was left to 2/Cruise the entire time. I had R1/R1 tyres and an automatic pit stop every 5 laps.

I was racing against touring cars (e.g., '94 Opel Calibra Touring Car, '92 AMG Mercedes 190 E Touring Car), so the R8 completely dominated the competition. Margin of victory over the 2nd place car was 21 laps. Fastest lap time was 6'12.372" with most laps well under the 7'00" mark.

The '01 Audi R8 was lightly modified with a just a Stage 3 turbo upgrade. In retrospect, this was probably entirely unnecessary.

RESULTS SUMMARY:

Time: 24:03'16.637"
Laps: 213
Fastest Lap: 6'12.372"
Margin of Victory: 21 laps

I won the Ferrari red car. 👍 Thank god I didn't get stuck with the lavender.

Hey guys,
i did the 24-Hr Nur' with the Chaparral 2J race car. I have tons of cash, over 20,000,000 right now, so I thought what the heck. Bought it didnt do nething to it, set B-Spec to 4-Fast, and x3 speed and left for work and when I came back i finished the rest of the race at x3 speed. I won the race by like 32 laps ahead of 2nd place guy, usin RSH tires. The CHaprall 2J race car is impossible to handle! Craziness! Anyways, I have about 7,500 B-Spec point with my individual skills at almost 80 each, which I need to win the F1 GT on Extreme events.... Your skills improve my winning a race with an almost stock car racing against other cars that are similar if not better..... A good way to build skill is to do the Family Cups of like the original or world circuits. Set it to like 8 for fast and use your fastest car and set it to 4-Fast and B-Spec it.... Best way to build skill.... I have over 120 cars and have a percentage of 63%.

This race isn't as hard as it sounds. Yes, it is 24 hours, BUT, they put u against some sorry cars. I mean a Skyline, BMW, Mercedes.... all crappy cars if u already have a car like the Minolta or Audi R-8 or something. I used the Minolta and won by 20 laps. That race is way to overrated. I b-spec'd it all but 1 lap.

your right this race is a walk in the park and the fuel physics are crap
audi r8
rh/rsh
220 laps
53 pit stops
25 laps from second
50 laps from last

i did the 'Ring 24 Hours yesterday. started at 9:10am (or thereabouts) and finished at about 6:30pm!!! (That's right, kiddies, i sat in the spare bedroom monitoring the race for 9 bloody boring hours!!!!) Just before the last lap, i brought the b-spec driver in, threw on some medium tyres and switched to a-spec mode. then i did a le mans-style cruise round the final lap. the lap was clean apart from getting tapped by the spoon s2000 race car on the section just after the flugplatz, and then, while i was coming up to Adenaur-Forst, the M3 GTR Race Car come out form nowhere at full speed and hits me!!!! But, all that waiting was worth it, and now a lovely blue and black formula gran turismo resides in my garage. used it today in the fuji 1000km. demolished the le mans cars!!!! and i got a nissan r92cp racer for my troubles. what a weekend, eh?

for a lot of you who are having trouble with pit stops (eg. you're pitting ever 2 laps with r2 or r1 tires) this shouldn't be happening. I see some of you put your settings on overtake, push, and fast. as long as you're in 1st place and continue to be in 1st place, you need to set your pace at "Cruise" or #2, this way your driver will pace himself around the turns and not eat up those tires. With R2 tires, I get 4 laps in the Toyota MINOLTA '89, unquestionably one of the fastest cars short of Formula One cars. I've never gone to R1 although i'm sure if I did use R1 it could give me an extra lap.

Steady might place you in the grass around some turns especially when ur tires start to go red, and Fast and Push are definitely too strong. The only time you ever want to set it to Overtake is when you begin the race to head out into 1st place.

Old Geezer
Correct, there is NO Way to save during 24 Hour Races! :irked: ...O.G. :D

Question: If you put on 3x speed for the like watching setting, does that automatically turn off whenever the car pits and will you have to reset it to 3x after the car pits?

asparagus
Question: If you put on 3x speed for the like watching setting, does that automatically turn off whenever the car pits and will you have to reset it to 3x after the car pits?
YES, that is Correct! 👍 ...O.G. :D

Back