Barclays Premier league 07/08 thread

• Thread starter Dave A
  • 184 comments
You know what, I take back what I said about Torres before the season started. He didn't score today, and he may remain only a 14 goal a season player, but I didn't think he'd handle the Premiership. So far this season though he's looked very impressive, his movement and some of the passes he's picked out have been very good.

If you saw MOTD the way he just ran through the two center backs was amazing. Poor defending yes but it was brilliant.

I said it at the start of the season he is quick, strong and technicaly sound. I saw alot of him last season on tv and i stand by him getting 18 goals this season.

I'd like to throw a thought into the mix, Matt Derbyshire for England?
He's got pace, strong, heads a good ball and scores his fair share.

I know he's shown thoes qualities in Spain, but I just had a doubt he's be able to show them in the Premeirship. We've seen it time and time againg when a player has come here and not been as good as he was overseas, our leagues just a lot more physical and you don't get as much time on the ball.

Well, we got our first win of the season. It was a bit scrappy, but Nani scored a lovely strike, even though Man U might credit the goal to Tevez. It was a very close game, neither of the penalty claims were penalties, the collision with Vidic was just a collision, two players ran into each other. The other hit Brown on his chest, not his arm. I think both teams rode thier luck a little in that game, Hargreaves played okay, he madce some good tackles. But we really need a front man in the team, Saha might be good for next weekend. Apparently, Anderson will be too, but it's a front man we need the most. Getting Ronaldo back from suspension won't be bad for the team either, but he isn't back next game, it's the game after that. I think it's Sunderland at home next, we shouldn't have too hard a time winning that, but I expect Keane to get a great reception.

:ouch: Wouldn't want to be on the Derby bus home tonight! 6 - nil!! :eek:
Talk about absolutely dominated! I kept having to double check to make sure Liverpool were actually playing against 11 men! :ouch:

On another note, since there's nowhere else really to talk about footy in the lower leagues, I'm going to stick this here. Northwich Vics are having an absolutely abysmal start to the season this year. 1 point out of 6 games, and yet to keep a clean sheet. :( Our defence sucks. :yuck:
However, they have a contender for non-league goal of the season!
surprised-019.gif

Check this out, from the 3 - 3 draw against Droylsden! (Be patient while it downloads! :guilty:)
(They're a small club, without a big budget for a fancy website! Well worth the wait though!!!)
Could teach Beckham or Alonso a thing or two!! ;) :bowdown:

Never seen a ball so sweetly struck.

My club, Northampton, have 2 points from from 4 games. We were 2-0 up today at half time, 2-2 at full time.
That shouldnt happen.

As for the premiership, i said Torres would score goals. Good win for the red's today.
Owen finally scores in the leauge again, and Yakubu scored on his debut.

Yeah, I'm glad Owen scored. Man U won again, Keane got a great reception, the players gave Ole a gaurd of honour as well, Ole got the best reception. Sunderland played behind the ball a lot, gave us a hard time breaking them down but we dominated the match overall Saha scored after coming on for the second half. Hargreaves was impressive, Tevez was, shall we say, improved. I'm sure he'll start firing once he's playing behind someone, he looked far more comfortable after Saha came on and could hold back a bit.

He played well, we would have scored more if he didn't. He made a fantastic save to deny Saha pretty early in the second half. Saha controled the ball beautifully off his chest and swung round with a peach of a shot, but Gordon managed to dive and get a hand to it. Hargreaves came close with a scorcher as well. The difference between our game today and the other games so far this season, is we were shooting on target a lot more. Unfortunately for Keane, Sunderland just arn't good enough. While I was watching it, it felt like it was only a question of when we'd score as opposed to if.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's worth the price, but he looked good. It's just a question of how consistent he will be now.

He played well, we would have scored more if he didn't. ....

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's worth the price, but he looked good. It's just a question of how consistent he will be now.
He is the best British goalie though. He's much better than Robinson or James.

Why did Yorke say "this club" when asked about Solskjaer? Did he forget he plays for Sunderland now?

I haven't seen him enough to determine who he's better than and who he isn't just yet, on tonights performance I'd say yes he is better than James and Robinson. I think Ben Foster has potential to be a great keeper, but we need to see him after this long term injury he has.

As for Yorke, I think he was just saying "this club" as in the club they were at, they were at Man U's ground, so he just said "this club" to mean here.

Craig Gordon was phenomenal at Sunderland last week against Liverpool.
He made many important saves to limit the damage to just 2 goals, it could've been many more.
(Thankfully though he was beaten twice, so that Liverpool took the 3 points away, but against teams in mid-table / bottom of table, with strikers of less quality than the top sides, he's probably what Sunderland need to stop them shipping as many goals as they did in their last Premiership campaign!)

My god, that video you posted Smallhorses.. What a beautiful strike! Reminds me of Drogba's shot on goal a couple of weeks back, but this one went in!

Also, I'm a big fan of Gordon. If he keeps this up all season, and keeps Sunderland in the top flight (which I'm sure they will this season, I have a feeling), then he will certainly be worth the money they paid. I also agree that from what I've seen here and when he played in Scotland, he is better than Robinson and James. Recent Robinson, anyway.

Aston Villa beat Chelsea 2-0 today, Arsenal beat Portsmouth 3-1 and Manchester City lost 1-0 to Blackburn.

Man U currently sit in 8th, 2 points off top spot, but both Liverpool and Arsenal have a game in hand, so that 2 points is more likely to be 5 once the extra games are played. Considering it's our worst start since, what, 1992/93, it's not as bad as it seemed. It's the international break now, when we play Everton on the 15th, Saha will be fitter, Ronaldo will be back and depending on his scan on Tuesday, there's a chance Rooney will be on the bench.

And Drogba's injured :crazy:.... Cech is not having a good season, he's been pretty ropey so far... and why did Arsenal have to concede that goal? That cost me 4 points on the fantasy football :grumpy:

Freakin' crap.

I was waiting for something like this to happen. Despite winning games, we haven't exactly looked in top form, nor have we really been deadly in front of goal. I fear we're going to be grinding out results again..

At last, the Premiership returns after 2 weeks out, and some interesting matches await us! Tottenham against Arsenal is definately a match that sticks out, especially after Tottenham's apparent inability to finish off a Fulham side that looked terrible yet somehow scrambled a point from a last minute stunner! Anyway, I will once again be following the mighty Whites, not at home, but away to Wigan, looking for our first away points of the season. I think that last minute rescue mission against Spurs may help our morale, and so i am quietly optimistic for some good football tomorrow and a point or more for Fulham at the JJB!

And Man U win again with a 1-0 scoreline. We're just not tearing teams apart so far this season. Good news (for us at least) is that Chelsea dropped points again and Liverpool dropped their first two points of the season. They still have a game in hand though and it's Birmingham next at Anfield I think. Hopefully Rooney will be good enough to play next weekend, he'll likey get some time on the pitch on Weds in the Champions league.

A big, big win for us today. 2-0 against Chelsea at home, the game was pretty controversial, the penalty was harsh, but we had two good penalty claims dissalowed earlier in the game, so that evened itself out a bit. The sending off of Obi Mikel was also harsh when looked at again, but Joe Cole should have been sent off for a plain dirty challenge on Ronaldo in the seond half. The ref was right to send Mikel off since he thought it was a 2 footed challenge, if that's what the ref sees, then it's a straight red. But, the ref didn't see it right, it was a bookable challenge, but it wasn't 2 footed. That and Joe Coles challaenge don't even themselves out sinec Joe Coles challenge was in the second half, Mikel was sent off in the first.

I do think we outplayed Chelsea most of the game though, neither of us looked as good as we should be playing if we had fully fit squads, but Chelsea didn't make many chances, we made a few. The majority of the game was played in the mid-field and chelsea's end. The stats tell the story really....
Shots on target - Man U = 9 Chelsea = 0
Shots off target - Man U = 8 Chelsea = 3
Blocked shots - Man U = 5 Chelsea = 3
Corners - Man U = 10 Chelsea = 1

Chelsea had thier moments, and like I said, neither of us looked as good as we could be but it was a deserved win for Man U imo. Even in the first half, before Mikel was sent off, we dominated the attacking play.

Another scrap, another win. I think we are starting to play better, but we're still miles from our best. Tevez still doesn't look sharp, Giggs didn't play well today, nieither did Rooney for the most part. Ronaldo played brilliant, apart from the dive he did in the first half. He still needs to stop that.

Chelsea frew, Liverpool won 1-0, Portsmouth beath Readin 7-4. Arsenal won, they still haven't really played anyone yet, but they are playing well. Manchester City played very well today and beat Newcastle 3-1, a couple of good goals in that game.

Well, our goal drought ended today with a 4-0 win over Wigan. They had everyone behind the ball in the first half, then they came forwards in the second and we teared them apart.

We still didn't play as well as we were last season though, but I was impressed with a few performances, Tevez was fantastic, as was Anderson in the second half and Rooney and Ronny were both good but it was Simpson who really suprised me, he wasn't man of the match imo, but for his league debut he played very well. So did Pique who filled in for Vidic who got concusion after a knock to the head, he carried on but then started throwing up and they took him off, then O'Shea got injured shortly after. Saha got a twinge in his knee in the warm up so he was taken out of the squad.

I was happy with todays result, especially since were still not where we should be in terms of squad fitness and confidence, though today will surely give our confidence a big boost for the next game.

It seems all the Premier league fans have been abducted.

Man U won comfortably today, after conceeding an early goal we got on top of the play and we played some good football today, some very good link play, controlled the mid-field. It was 3-0 by half time, unfortunaly Villa lost Reo Cocker thanks to a second yellow which the ref could have just warned him about, he wasn't fouling people left right and center. That kind of killed the game, we slowed down, Villa struggled to have any possesion. It went 4-1 and then Villas keeper got sent off, this I think had to be a sending off, the keeper wasn't the last man, and at first I thought it was harsh, but after looking at the challenge he took Tevez out with his legs and he was nowhere near the ball. Rooney didn't convert the penalty to make it 3 though. I think Ronaldo's job as penalty taker is safe.

Everton were robbed against Liverpool, the first penalty wasn't a penalty, the foul if it even was a foul, was outside the box. And the linesman gave it as in. After that, the referee pulled out a yellow card, Gerrard said something to him, and he put the card away and pulled out a red card instead. Then Everton had a proper penalty claim dissalowed, then in extra time after Liverpool got their 2nd penalty (which was a penalty) Lescot got dragged down in the box again and no penalty was given, again. the ref was looking straight at it, and not that far away.

Mind you, it's not like referee's get paid to get these decisions right or anything, is it.

Chelsea won comfortably 2-0, Manchester City won 1-0. Derby and Fullham drew 0-0. Arsenal won as well, pity.

....Everton were robbed against Liverpool, the first penalty wasn't a penalty, the foul if it even was a foul, was outside the box. And the linesman gave it as in. After that, the referee pulled out a yellow card, Gerrard said something to him, and he put the card away and pulled out a red card instead. Then Everton had a proper penalty claim dissalowed, then in extra time after Liverpool got their 2nd penalty (which was a penalty) Lescot got dragged down in the box again and no penalty was given, again. the ref was looking straight at it, and not that far away.

I agree that Everton we're probably robbed of a point here, but from what I've just seen, the penalty decisions in Liverpool's favour were justified.
For the first, there's the standard argy-bargy that goes on in every 1-on-1 challenge, shirt tugging from both players and arms out. The contact resulting in the penalty itself, namely the barge into Gerrard's legs occurs right on the edge of the box, i.e. Penalty.
What's surprising to me is that so many people are conveniently overlooking the fact that not only is Gerrard speaking to the ref afterwards, but he's also wearing a headset, and listening to the linesman who made the decision as you've pointed out, that the contact was in the area. After that regardless of who appears to have said what, it's a case of sticking to the rules of the game. "Last defender denying a goalscoring opportunity = Red Card." (Happened in the Man U game too. Red Card. No surprise there, correct decision.)
Watching the incident, he reaches into his shorts pocket, and pulls out the book, and the yellow card together. They're the most commonly used pieces of his disciplinary arsenal. His red card is kept separate in his shirt pocket. He's obviously not able to separate them to pull out the book without the card, and he then goes to put his yellow card back in his pocket as Gerrard walks past, while obviously protesting that the last man brought him down.
If he'd kept both red & yellow cards in his shirt pocket, could he be relied upon to whip out the right coloured card first time every time? I doubt it, unless they had different textures. So if he pulls out 1 card, finds it's not the right one and swaps it, does that make it wrong?
We can speculate and lip-read all day, but you & I will never know what came through the ref's headset, when a split second, heated decision like that has to be made.
"Kung Fu" Kuyt should've gone for his flying kick, and the second Lescott incident looked worse than the first, but the referee has been dealing with Yakubu collapsing like a sack of spanners all game under the most innocuous challenges. With the effort that players go to these days to simulate incidents, the referees have to be careful, and he probably displayed that with Lescott too. Not saying he's right to do so in this instance, but players don't help themselves nowadays, it's pervasive right throughout the football leagues!
There are easy decisions (Phil Neville!) and hard ones. Clattenburg won't be the first (Rob Styles?) nor the last to make a wrong one this season. There'll be teams that get punished & teams that benefit, (Man U undoubtably benefitted from a harsh dismissal of Reo-Coker, wrong decision.) and I've now seen Liverpool both sides of that already this season. What's gutting is that if they'd scored the easy chances, Voronin, Riise & Sissoko (not surprised by Momo's miss though! :dunce:) and been leading anyway, such controversy shouldn't have happened!

You make a good point about Gerrard talking to the ref, but the Liverpool penalty where Gerrard went down was not a penalty. The ref making a mistake is one thing, but to make so many big mistakes in a single game is totally unacceptable. The contact with Gerrard happened outside the box, not in it. No if's or buts, it was outside the box so it should have been a free kick. Then you have the two Lescott incidents, most significantly the second one where the ref was 10 feet away and looking in their direction. As I said, getting one wrong is forgivale, though still can be game changing, getting so many wrong in one match is riduclous.

The Phil Neville handball, that was an easy decision and should have been a penalty and a red card. The challenge Kuyt made, again, should have been easy, two footed tackle, both feet off the ground, red card. If the ref is trying to stick to the letter of the law when he gave Gerrards penalty, despite it being wrong, IF he's trying to stick to the letter of the law in that instance, then why does the letter of the law suddenly go out of the window when he only gave Kuyt a yellow. He saw the challenge, he can't have missed it, so why a yellow.

I'm not hating on Liverpool, though I hate them as a team aside from this. It's not thier fault the referee was poor when it came to robbing Everton of some big decisions. I agree with last weeks sending off of Reo-Kocker, I would say Man U were comfortable before that happened, but Reo Kocker is still suspended. He wasn't making bad tackles left right and center all through the game. Another day, he could have been fouling left right and center and the ref wouldn't even go so far as a yellow. There's no consistency with referee'sdecisions game to game.

This kind of inconsistent refereeing is pitifull and a mockery of the game. Referee's should be forced to explain their decisions and their reasons should be made public. Someone should meet with a referee after a game and show him the game, and ask him to explain every decision. If Clattenburg can't referee a game remotely well, he's not fit to referee at all.

It will only get better when ref's explain thier actions publically, and they have a publically known standard to follow. One week one decision is given, the next, a totally different one, it's not good for the players or the fans.

Chelsea hammered Man city today, 6-0. I think some of the city fans have been brought back down to earth, no that's right, your not going to finish in the top 4. Man U played some sublime football today, the midfield was excelent, and the Rooney-Tevez partnership is coming into it's own. We're looking very, very good at the moment. Next weekends game against Arsenal I hope will be sublime, if both teams go for it and both teams are on form, there's no reason it shouldn't be.

Hargreaves played today, he was fantastic, Anderson played well again. I tihnk it's safe to say we've started to get into our stride again now after the poor start we had.

Watched MotD and I just love seeing Craig Bellamy getting riled up. Shame for Man City, their the arch enemy but with their season so far, its strange how they did so poorly. Not a return to last years form?? :S

Arsenal have a game or two in hand which is annoying, but I'm gonna tip Liverpool to win their game.

I think it will be tight, if it was at the Emirates my money would be on Arsenal to win. I expect Liverpool to be well up for it after thier dissapointing Champions league game mid-week as well. The ideal result for Man U would be a draw, it lets us gain on Arsenal and pull away from Liverpool, I have to say that if one team has to win, I'm rooting for Arsenal. I don't like them but I respect the way they play the game.

Back